No pouting for Davis after demotion by Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Thinking about it logically, benching Davis is not the right move. He played poorly against the best team in the league as I'm sure many QBs would. What do we gain in starting an old backup QB in Hill when we have a young QB who led us to tough wins against great teams and who probably has a future in horns? The only benefit I can see is preserving his health since the Oline is playing so terribly.

In general I agree with this. We don't know what's going on for sure, but I kinda wonder if Davis has gotten down on himself after three bad games, trying to do too much and really forcing things. Just time to get the ball out of his hands and let him get his head straight. A lot of pressure falls on the shoulders of a starting NFL QB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure I understand the "out of shape ,behind a patched up line , Hill is gonna need to have the release of Dan Marino / Dan Fouts to survive" bit
Out of shape how? He's been working out with the team, practicing as much as Davis (If not more). If anything, his legs and arm will be more fresh than Davis at this point. There seems to be a misconception that Hill is immobile, which I find to be very much innacurate.
I like Davis, and I think he has a future in the NFL. But Hill is gonna start and I dont see why he's getting discredited.
I was disappointed in game 1, and with Hill. But he did some things in that game that I liked and overall am disappointed we didnt get to see more of it.
For me, wanting to see Hill play, and becoming a fan of Austin Davis are mutually exclusive issues
Not sure either but it is interesting that even Schotty commented on him looking like he had a few too many snacks over the past few weeks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was disappointed in game 1, and with Hill. But he did some things in that game that I liked and overall am disappointed we didnt get to see more of it.
I think we all liked the efficiency we saw out of Hill early on -- before the "C'mon man" moment at the end there. But one interception at an inopportune time does not a QB make. If people are gonna judge Hill on THAT, then I need to make a video of about 50 QBs who suck as well. Including Peyton Manning.

Ramathon

Thinking about it logically, benching Davis is not the right move. He played poorly against the best team in the league as I'm sure many QBs would. What do we gain in starting an old backup QB in Hill when we have a young QB who led us to tough wins against great teams and who probably has a future in horns? The only benefit I can see is preserving his health since the Oline is playing so terribly.

Thinking about it logically, I think it was exactly the right move. Mostly for AD himself. He didn't play badly against just the Cardinals (who are one of the better teams in the league, but not the best, IMO). He's been regressing for several games. And I think he needs that time off to sort of 'regroup' because, I don't know that I'd say he had happy feet, but he sure seemed to be displaying a happy brain. The kid needs to get his emotions under control. So many people seemed to love his Rah-rah attitude, but that door swings 2 ways. It's great when things are going good, but can be a significant detriment for the individual player when going bad. And I do think he's been 'pressing' the last 2-3 games. IF the Rams lose the next couple games and are sitting at W3-L8, then I think it's entirely possible AD may be reinserted as the starter to see if he can progress.

But in addition to that, it ain't over til the fat lady sings. And though the probabilities of the Rams getting to even 8-8 by season's end let alone making the playoffs are probably slim, I think the coaching staff needs to put whoever they feel gives them the best chance of winning on the field until they're mathematically eliminated. Right now, for this week's game, Fisher apparently thinks that's Hill. And I would agree only because of what I've said above about AD needing to regroup. For now, Hill is the better option. That may not be the case in a few weeks, but I think it is for now.

Ramathon

I think we all liked the efficiency we saw out of Hill early on -- before the "C'mon man" moment at the end there. But one interception at an inopportune time does not a QB make. If people are gonna judge Hill on THAT, then I need to make a video of about 50 QBs who suck as well. Including Peyton Manning.

Amen!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm guessing he was relieved. :LOL:

When our O-Line makes Hill look terrible, Davis probably ensures himself a position on the roster for 2015.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Thinking about it logically, I think it was exactly the right move. Mostly for AD himself. He didn't play badly against just the Cardinals (who are one of the better teams in the league, but not the best, IMO). He's been regressing for several games. And I think he needs that time off to sort of 'regroup' because, I don't know that I'd say he had happy feet, but he sure seemed to be displaying a happy brain. The kid needs to get his emotions under control. So many people seemed to love his Rah-rah attitude, but that door swings 2 ways. It's great when things are going good, but can be a significant detriment for the individual player when going bad. And I do think he's been 'pressing' the last 2-3 games. IF the Rams lose the next couple games and are sitting at W3-L8, then I think it's entirely possible AD may be reinserted as the starter to see if he can progress.

But in addition to that, it ain't over til the fat lady sings. And though the probabilities of the Rams getting to even 8-8 by season's end let alone making the playoffs are probably slim, I think the coaching staff needs to put whoever they feel gives them the best chance of winning on the field until they're mathematically eliminated. Right now, for this week's game, Fisher apparently thinks that's Hill. And I would agree only because of what I've said above about AD needing to regroup. For now, Hill is the better option. That may not be the case in a few weeks, but I think it is for now.
I hope you are right. Hill has a tall task being swapped back into the starting lineup agains a powerhouse team and with the season on the line. Maybe he is the better option but if we drop this game then I see no justifiable reason to continue starting him. I just feel like Davis has more invested in this team because this is his team. He may not win every game but he leaves his heart out there. Fingers crossed that this move doesn't crush his confidence.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I hope you are right. Hill has a tall task being swapped back into the starting lineup agains a powerhouse team and with the season on the line. Maybe he is the better option but if we drop this game then I see no justifiable reason to continue starting him. I just feel like Davis has more invested in this team because this is his team. He may not win every game but he leaves his heart out there. Fingers crossed that this move doesn't crush his confidence.
I doubt it destroys the kids confidence ,but it can't enhance it either ,I hope that he does get the nod if the Hill switch doesn't produce and we don't get the Keenum experiment .
As far as Davis and the turnovers goes , his efforts were largely to overcome situations he had been placed in by the team as a whole, had our four first round d-line produced for him he'd still be in there ,I think our ROI from Davis has been well above most of this team ,he should hold his head high.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit

What we could gain is a winning season and an excellent backup QB for next season. I think Rams only have an outside long shot of beating the Broncos, but I could see Hill having a solid game and winning out after that up until Seattle.

The o-line IS the problem and I personally think Hill is the only possible answer. AD isn't ready to make the quick reads and throws. Even if all other things were equal, Hill is better at defeating the pass rush and blitz.

AD is a wildcard for me. He's too new to judge.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
What we could gain is a winning season and an excellent backup QB for next season. I think Rams only have an outside long shot of beating the Broncos, but I could see Hill having a solid game and winning out after that up until Seattle.

The o-line IS the problem and I personally think Hill is the only possible answer. AD isn't ready to make the quick reads and throws. Even if all other things were equal, Hill is better at defeating the pass rush and blitz.

AD is a wildcard for me. He's too new to judge.

Honestly though, on this one, there might not be an answer at the QB position. It is going to have to be someone else on the team stepping up and winning these games for us. I think Hill and Davis are just backup QBs trying to command a starting role when they are really only built for short stints of play.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Not sure I understand the "out of shape ,behind a patched up line , Hill is gonna need to have the release of Dan Marino / Dan Fouts to survive" bit
Out of shape how? He's been working out with the team, practicing as much as Davis (If not more). If anything, his legs and arm will be more fresh than Davis at this point. There seems to be a misconception that Hill is immobile, which I find to be very much innacurate.
I like Davis, and I think he has a future in the NFL. But Hill is gonna start and I dont see why he's getting discredited.
For me, wanting to see Hill play, and becoming a fan of Austin Davis are mutually exclusive issues

He reminds me a little of Jim Hart's physique ,bit of a pot belly,double chin and when he scrambled in that first game he pulled a muscle a 34 year old muscle.
JMO but I don't think his off season workout regimen was as intense as it could have been , that he was not counting on being the starter . As far as his workouts now with the limited practice time unless he's working out a lot on his own I doubt he's in better shape now in fact the time he spent injured I'd say he lost ground.
The patched up line part I don't need to explain ,it is what it is and Denver has a ferocious pass rush so IMO if he doesn't get rid of the ball fast ,he's gonna get hammered Sunday.
GRob has his work cut out for him Ware isn't just an edge rusher he has a great inside move as well and Miller is a beast ,our line HAS to play better than they did against Az .

RamzFanz

Damnit
Honestly though, on this one, there might not be an answer at the QB position. It is going to have to be someone else on the team stepping up and winning these games for us. I think Hill and Davis are just backup QBs trying to command a starting role when they are really only built for short stints of play.

I always think you're honest. No need to qualify it.

I think, and we will soon see if I'm correct or dreaming, that Hill's strengths are exactly what we need now for this team at this time.

My opinion is that many players are stepping up but the QB has held them back. If you can't move in the pocket or hit the hot route, teams will blitz you to death. That's what has been happening and I believe Hill is the person to counter that.

If the Rams had a solid O line, we probably would have been successful with AD. He has his talents as we've all seen. But Rams don't and Hill will either diffuse the pass rush tomorrow and going forward (not necessarily with the win this week) or Rams are picking very high again next draft.

If Rams can avoid the sacks and TOs and get the ball to cook, Britt, TA, and Bailey in stride, they can kill teams. These guys play.