No pouting for Davis after demotion by Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

No pouting for Davis after demotion by Rams

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_9c6a316d-820e-5e04-99f0-a7b73651466e.html

Austin Davis' eight-week run as the Rams' starting quarterback is over, and there's no guarantee when he'll be back or if he'll be back in the starting lineup. In the NFL, you never know when or if that next opportunity will present itself.

And that's exactly why Davis won't be sulking after learning he was being benched in favor of veteran Shaun Hill for Sunday's noon kickoff against Denver at the Edward Jones Dome.

"I've always said that it's not about me," Davis told reporters Wednesday. "But I don't really have time to feel sorry for myself because we play Denver Sunday, and you're still one play way.

"So it's a different role. It's a different position. Hopefully what I've done, I've gained some respect in this locker room. I'm gonna continue to be the same guy, just a different role."

But in the overall picture, the role hasn't changed for Davis. He's always been an underdog as an NFL quarterback. Undrafted out of Southern Mississippi in 2012, cut from the Rams' roster at the end of the 2013 preseason, working as a volunteer high school coach about 13 months ago at Westminster Christian Academy in suburban St. Louis.

His locker stall at Rams Park remains tucked between the linebackers and offensive linemen _ not with the quarterbacks across the room.

As tough as it was to see coach Jeff Fisher walk into the quarterback room with the news of his demotion, Davis understands why the decision was made.

"I think you're graded on wins and losses," Davis said. "We didn't get as many as we wanted to."

The Rams were 3-5 with Davis at quarterback, playing a brutally tough schedule. Those eight teams Davis started against currently have a record of 45-28. Tampa Bay, which marked Davis' first NFL start on Sept. 14, is the only team among the group with a losing record at 1-8.

"This is a good football team," Davis said. "I just wish I could've played better at times and we could've played better offensively. The quarterback's the leader of that. So I take a lot of that on my shoulders and a lot of that responsibility. I think that'll serve me well later."

Davis has no hard feelings towards Hill _ far from it.

"The reason that I was able to do what I did earlier this year was because of Shaun's support for me," Davis said. "I owe it to him to show him that same kind of support and same kind of respect, and be a great teammate. And be prepared. Nothing really changes as far as preparation goes and being ready to step in. When we started the season I was No. 2, so I just go back to that role."

Even with his recent slump, Davis' overall numbers weren't terrible: He has completed 180 of 284 passes for 2001 yards, a 63.4% completion rate, with 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His passer rating is 85.1, which ranks 23rd in the league.

Again, the worst part was not simply the turnovers, but the fact that four interceptions and two sack fumbles were returned for TDs by the opposition.

Davis described his recent play as: "Inconsistent. Just up and down, and I could sense it and feel it at times. So I've just got to find a way to play more consistent and not turn the ball over in critical situations.

"And at the end of the day, you've got to find a way to win. That's how we're all graded, and that's how we're all judged."

Davis comes away from his half-season stint as a starter with an even greater appreciation of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL _ and the elite players in general _ for their ability to play at a high level week after week.

"I've learned a lot but I think the thing that's difficult is to bring it every week, and stay confident every week when your body's tired and it's not new, it's not fresh," Davis said. "To be able to focus and to keep bringing it is something that in a 16-game season you have to take it one game at a time.

"That's cliche' and kind of coach-speak if you will, but it's true. You have to approach it that way. And you can't turn the ball over. Teams in this league that win, the quarterback doesn't turn the ball over and they make big plays at the end.

"There were a lot of games where we had the football at the end with a chance to go down and win it. Some we did, and some we didn't. I would've like to have done it more often."

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy is a class act. He has my respect. Now lets get behind Hill and win some more games!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Davis will make an excellent back-up QB and enjoy a nice career doing so, in fact, I hope he's a solid number two to Brett Hundley for the next several years.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He's earned a place in their league. Even if he's not a starter, he'll have a nice career as a backup. He's done well for himself.
I think he may still get another opportunity to start at some point.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's earned a place in their league. Even if he's not a starter, he'll have a nice career as a backup. He's done well for himself.
I think he may still get another opportunity to start at some point.

I think he will as well. And if the OL doesn't clean up their act Davis will have another shot in STL.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
I like Davis a lot and will forever have a soft spot for him since he gave me my first live Rams win this year in Tampa and for beating Seattle and San Fran. Maybe this benching does him good and he learns a few more things.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I like Davis a lot and will forever have a soft spot for him since he gave me my first live Rams win this year in Tampa and for beating Seattle and San Fran. Maybe this benching does him good and he learns a few more things.

You'd like him even more if you'd been at the Seattle game ,best game experience I've had in years . I think we see him again this year like Al said 34 ,out of shape ,behind a patched up line , Hill is gonna need to have the release of Dan Marino / Dan Fouts to survive .

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
You'd like him even more if you'd been at the Seattle game ,best game experience I've had in years . I think we see him again this year like Al said 34 ,out of shape ,behind a patched up line , Hill is gonna need to have the release of Dan Marino / Dan Fouts to survive .

Would have loved to be there... Instead I just got the pleasure of enjoying everyone's shock and tears here in Seattle.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Would have loved to be there... Instead I just got the pleasure of enjoying everyone's shock and tears here in Seattle.
THAT COULD BE BETTER,hope we can replicate it there and knock their asses out of the playoffs

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Thinking about it logically, benching Davis is not the right move. He played poorly against the best team in the league as I'm sure many QBs would. What do we gain in starting an old backup QB in Hill when we have a young QB who led us to tough wins against great teams and who probably has a future in horns? The only benefit I can see is preserving his health since the Oline is playing so terribly.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
THAT COULD BE BETTER,hope we can replicate it there and knock their asses out of the playoffs

Every year I tell myself this year is the year the Rams win here in Seattle and this year is no different. I try to imagine the joy of walking out of the stadium while thousands cry!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Every year I tell myself this year is the year the Rams win here in Seattle and this year is no different. I try to imagine the joy of walking out of the stadium while thousands cry!
Martz did that , he got a lot of NFC West coaches fired ,no one was happier to see him fired than Holmgren

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Thinking about it logically, benching Davis is not the right move. He played poorly against the best team in the league as I'm sure many QBs would. What do we gain in starting an old backup QB in Hill when we have a young QB who led us to tough wins against great teams and who probably has a future in horns? The only benefit I can see is preserving his health since the Oline is playing so terribly.

If we don't beat Denver , math will tell us all how this season will turn out, IMO playing Hill now is desperation which I am not a fan of . But Fish is the coach and if he makes a mess of things it's not like I haven't seen it done before . His arrow was up for me until this now it's sideways the move has to work or it will be trending down ,not that what i think matters but I agree with you.

fancents86

Starter
I think we're starting Hill based on experience and throwing ability, especially since it's Denver. This isn't the Denver defense of last year. They probably want someone who can identify their defensive plays and call the offense accordingly, which I saw him do in the preseason quite a bit. Detroit wasn't exactly glad that he left, so I think that speaks for itself a bit too. Austin was making rookie mistakes and declining badly from one game to the next. I see no harm in going back to Hill. He was the next man up after Bradford, all we did was ride out with Davis and that ride was coming to a hault.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Davis is the kind of a person that will learn from it all and will return even better than before when he gets another chance.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Davis is the kind of a person that will learn from it all and will return even better than before when he gets another chance.
I suspect you are correct , he's had to all his life , so why not now?

Big Game

Living The Dream
The Kid has heart and he an play on this level. Like many of you said he will have a career as a solid backup and may get a chance to start again.

I wish him the best and I'm rooting for him!

Now lets Rally behind Shawn Hill and win some more games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I understand the "out of shape ,behind a patched up line , Hill is gonna need to have the release of Dan Marino / Dan Fouts to survive" bit
Out of shape how? He's been working out with the team, practicing as much as Davis (If not more). If anything, his legs and arm will be more fresh than Davis at this point. There seems to be a misconception that Hill is immobile, which I find to be very much innacurate.
I like Davis, and I think he has a future in the NFL. But Hill is gonna start and I dont see why he's getting discredited.
I was disappointed in game 1, and with Hill. But he did some things in that game that I liked and overall am disappointed we didnt get to see more of it.
For me, wanting to see Hill play, and becoming a fan of Austin Davis are mutually exclusive issues