No one wants to trade for RGIII

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/03/no-one-wants-to-trade-for-rgiiis-contract/

No one wants to trade for RGIII’s contract
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptizytq2ytzkngi5zmvlndvjmtawndq3ndrmytjlngex.jpeg
AP

Washington quarterback-turned-scout team safety Robert Griffin III would be available in a deadline trade if anyone wanted him. But no one wants him.

Or, more precisely, no one wants his contract.

Josina Anderson of ESPN reports that Washington has received a grand total of zero calls from other teams about making a trade for Griffin. The trade deadline is today at 4 p.m. ET.

It’s not that no team thinks Griffin has potential, despite the fact that he’s been demoted to third-string quarterback behind Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy. But no team would be willing to take on the enormous risk in Griffin’s contract: If Griffin were to suffer a serious injury this year, he would be guaranteed a 2016 salary of $16.155 million. That’s a total non-starter for any NFL team.

And that points to how foolish it was of Washington to pick up the fifth-year option on Griffin. If Griffin didn’t have that enormous injury guarantee, some team might be willing to trade for him in the hopes that he could show some promise this year and then sign an extension for next year and beyond.

Instead, Griffin will spend this year on the sidelines in Washington and be released after the season is over. He’ll sign with some other team in the spring, and Washington will get nothing.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well, duh. Same for Kaeperdick. Was listening to NfL radio this morning and a Jets fan was wondering why they aren't on the phone trying to get Kaeperdick.... I thought seriously? The Whiners front office wouldn't be able to keep it in their pants long enough to finish the phone call if someone asked them to take that contract away from them.

Stel

Starter
I think Kaepernick is more tradeable (is that a word?) than Griffin. Future salaries (2016 & 2017) under his contract are gtd only for injury and he has proven durable. Otherwise, he can be cut prior to 4/1 of each year to avoid the salary becoming guaranteed for that year. Someone could take him and only be at risk past this season if he gets injured.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:thinking:I guess this means, the final vote is in, and the Rams Won on the Trade!!:D:rolllaugh:

Irish

Starter
Man, they ruined that poor kid. It is criminal what that organization put him through starting with coming back too soon from a major injury.

He could have been a mega star.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At least now we don't have to read idiotic reports that "the trade" was still up in the air in regards to who won. Fish/Snead took that bout in an effin landslide.

Nobody needs that BS in their locker room in this day and age, where they need to put up with a diva at QB. If anyone deserves blame in his failure it's his parents for not teaching him what he needs to know, and himself for not learning how to lead when thrust into that position as he is a grown @$$ man.

If I were his dad I'd tell him to sign a cheap 2 year contract with a team that has a good offensive staff, and start the road back by winning a backup job where he can learn those basics he still doesn't know. I'd tell him to get off his spoiled rear end and become a student of the game. When everyone else is the problem, it's you.

…..

Legend
Man, they ruined that poor kid. It is criminal what that organization put him through starting with coming back too soon from a major injury.

He could have been a mega star.

Except that he was already a star in his own mind. He forgot the small detail where you have to earn that distinction, not have it labeled upon you. You really feel sorry for this self righteous youngster saddled with a superiority complex? There are numerous reports that Griffin has alienated his team mates by casting them under the bus and never taking responsibility, or even sharing in the responsibility. If you cannot earn the respect of your peers, there is a problem and that problem can only be found in a mirror.

Washington's clueless front office and mismanagement didn't help, but Robert Griffin ruined himself.

Irish

Starter
Except that he was already a star in his own mind. He forgot the small detail where you have to earn that distinction, not have it labeled upon you. You really feel sorry for this self righteous youngster saddled with a superiority complex? There are numerous reports that Griffin has alienated his team mates by casting them under the bus and never taking responsibility, or even sharing in the responsibility. If you cannot earn the respect of your peers, there is a problem and that problem can only be found in a mirror.

Washington's clueless front office and mismanagement didn't help, but Robert Griffin ruined himself.

See, this is ridiculous to me. The NFL is LITTERED with self absorbed narcissists who are only out for numero uno. RGIII is no different than at least a quarter of players in the NFL right now.

Had RGIII not gotten hurt, rushed back by malpracticing team doctors and coaches, gotten hurt WORSE as a result, and had to deal with front office and people on his coaching staff sniping him in the press and in league circles, this conversation isn't happening. Are the Redskins successful? I don't know, but they were good enough to make it to the playoffs with RGIII playing at his peak, and you can almost always count on successful players getting better every year, not worse.

I am not saying the guy is likable, he has a lot to learn about handling himself in a professional environment, but what twenty something year old kid is polished and professional from day one? The adversity he was forced to endure is ridiculous compared to his contemporaries.

Stel

Starter
Assuming he checks out medically and isn't a complete locker room cancer (no way I can know that or how NFL players would actually feel about hime) I'd sign him to a prove it deal. Talent wise, he'd be an upgrade over Keenum. Besides, how great would it be to have all those picks from Washington AND the guy they traded up to select. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

…..

Legend
See, this is ridiculous to me. The NFL is LITTERED with self absorbed narcissists who are only out for numero uno. RGIII is no different than at least a quarter of players in the NFL right now.

Fair enough....but if you're brilliant enough to be called a self absorbed narcissist by all the other self absorbed narcissists, I'm assuming you get extra credit for that.

Not going to address the injury stuff and whether he was rushed or not, none of that is proven and if I recall correctly, RG-ME ran an effective media campaign to convince the world he was ready and eager to play.