No Fowler & Littleton Front 7

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Not moving to resign Fowler is a huge head-scratcher IMO. But if they feel they can afford to move on without him so be it. Considering they don't have a first round pick and 5th round pick they will probably be looking for one in the draft or in FA. But anyone they get in the draft will be only a part-time starter at best. What makes me curious about this attitude is they gave up a lot to get Fowler so to watch him walk could mean they have targeted someone else in FA or the draft. But until something breaks, and I'm not totally giving up on resigning Fowler I looked at the Rams roster and it's not bare by any means.

People need to realize that the Rams are running a true hybrid defensive scheme. In reality, they are running a 2-5 with both DE positions filled by OLB. Both Okoronkwo and Fowler are OLB not DE's. But in reality, when you look at the metrics of the players, Okoronkwo and Carraway are strictly a DEs not OLBs. When you look at Fowler he can play either position by his metrics. But by his style of play and his talent he's strictly a 4-3 DE as he is extremely limited as are the other two, in his ability to drop back. That was very apparent last year when he was asked to drop back. IMO it could be why they aren't pursuing him as aggressively as I thought they would.

They are very high on Kiser and IMO he's always been slated as the heir apparent to Littleton and I think they feel his time has come. So allowing Littleton to move on is no surprise to me. Kiser has the size and especially the speed they want at ILB. He gives them much more versatility at the position.

Young has the speed and build of a SS and although he's listed as an ILB I can see them playing him much as they would a 3rd safety in the passing package. Travin Howard is another ILB built like a SS with safety speed. Reeder has proven himself a good option as a two-down LB as well.

At OLB they do have an option to Fowler in Ebukam. He's shown he's an impact player who can play both the run and the pass better than Fowler who is limited in his ability to drop back. Fowler is really a classic 4-3 DE and not a true hybrid 3-4 OLB/Edge player. Ebukam is in fact the classic 3-4 hybrid OLB/Edge. So perhaps they will give him that shot? In fact, before they traded for Dante I felt that Ebukam was the guy they needed at the position.

Opposite Ebukam is Okoronkwo and he's shown enough that his time to be the fulltime Edge on the opposite side has come. Behind these two they have Mathews who IMO will become the fulltime 3 down SAM. I think the sleeper to watch is Josh Carraway. Before he got injured last year he flashed enough to see he has some upside as an Edge behind Okoronkwo. Carraway lacks the long speed but so does Okoronkwo. But what both these two have is an explosive first step. Ogbo uses his explosive first step to gain immediate leverage in his rush. Carraway does the same but where Ogbo is primarily a bull rusher, Carraway tries to win with leverage and technique.

So right now without the draft and or FA signing, IMO the front 7 looks like this. The Open TBD is where I think they will look to fill in the draft or FA signing.

DE Okoronkwo, Carraway
NT Gaines, SJD
DT AD, Open TBD
Edge/OLB Ebukam, Open TBD

MIKE Kiser
MO Reeder
ILB Young, Howard
SAM Mathews

What we might be seeing is that this team is really focusing upon scheme fit as much as anything else. In fact, when you look at the success of the Pats, (cheating aside) scheme fit is what has been a major factor in their ability to sustain their success even though they are forever drafting low. Seeking players that fit their scheme and not expecting them to play outside of that envelope.

IMO Ebukam has shown that he can be that 8-10 sack per year kind of Edge player I thought he was this time last year. Perhaps that was the rationale for signing Mathews to play SAM. With the expectation that now in 2021 Ebukam will be the replacement for Fowler and Mathews will be the bridge for them to develop the next SAM taken this year in the draft (remember Samson was a 4th round pick)

So IMO a SAM LB, Edge, DT, and FB are on their shopping list this offseason and draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not resigning them is not the end of the world. I’m sure we’ll have multiple threads weekly next season with somebody saying I told you but Snead and McVay have done well building this team up. They get the benefit of the doubt from this fan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't see it as a head scratcher. Fowler has been an immature player and put up some excellent film last season so to keep him requires a top pass rusher contract. But is he a cornerstone type player you want to invest in? I wouldn't trust him to keep focused when he's making top money and I'm glad the Rams are letting him hit the market.

And Littleton just isn't as good as the hype in the role we need him to play. Everyone sees the coverage ability and open field tackling but he's contact shy and gets wired to blockers (some plays it's like he avoids contact) at a position where he needs to be able to fill hard vs the run and he's part of the reason our defense still hasn't figured out how to play the run consistently. The guy is a 4-3 WILL backer, a space playmaker and one of those teams will pay him the most.

I guarantee this... IF the Rams sign either of those two they will regret it. IMO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not resigning them is not the end of the world. I’m sure we’ll have multiple threads weekly next season with somebody saying I told you but Snead and McVay have done well building this team up. They get the benefit of the doubt from this fan.
slack-jawed homer

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see it as a head scratcher. Fowler has been an immature player and put up some excellent film last season so to keep him requires a top pass rusher contract. But is he a cornerstone type player you want to invest in? I wouldn't trust him to keep focused when he's making top money and I'm glad the Rams are letting him hit the market.

And Littleton just isn't as good as the hype in the role we need him to play. Everyone sees the coverage ability and open field tackling but he's contact shy and gets wired to blockers (some plays it's like he avoids contact) at a position where he needs to be able to fill hard vs the run and he's part of the reason our defense still hasn't figured out how to play the run consistently. The guy is a 4-3 WILL backer, a space playmaker and one of those teams will pay him the most.

I guarantee this... IF the Rams sign either of those two they will regret it. IMO.
This has a 2019 off season feel to it. Most were sure that Kromer could coach so-so players into Oline starters, and therefore we didn't need a high-priced guard like Saffold. We are going to regret not signing Littleton, just as most regret not resigning Saffold last year....

dang

Legend
Online Fowler but he did most if his damage last year in 4 games. He is talented but undisciplined and inconsistent.

…..

Legend
There can be no bigger told ya so than a Saffold one. jmo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This has a 2019 off season feel to it. Most were sure that Kromer could coach so-so players into Oline starters, and therefore we didn't need a high-priced guard like Saffold. We are going to regret not signing Littleton, just as most regret not resigning Saffold last year....
I think it has a worse feel than 2019's offseason. We were coming off a Super Bowl appearance last year, this year we are coming off a non-playoff season in which we finished 3rd in the division.

And then we have rumors indicating the same group that wasn't good enough in 2019 will return on the OL. I find that to be the definition of insanity, so hope things turn out differently than it looks at this early juncture because otherwise we will be a finesse offense again.

Defensively we have a new and unproven DC and a roster that badly needs improvement in the front seven. If this doesn't happen we are going to be a finesse defense again.

No first round pick again. The elite CB we traded two first round picks for is a guy who will hold out and half-ass even when he does have to play if the team tags him. But the Rams still haven't signed him and meanwhile part of the reason we got jumped by the 9ers is the raw talent their early picks each round helped them load while we were busy squandering picks on taking shots.

Don't get me wrong... I still think this is a Super Bowl contending team because of the top players we still have. But I also think this offseason is critical and things are stacked to be quite difficult for Snead and McVay. If we don't have a strong offseason it's gonna be ugly.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Also the kid from Georgia.. Natrez Patrick flashed in Preseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There can be no bigger told ya so than a Saffold one. jmo
LOL I love little games please tell us all how right you were :) It was one season. The Rams had a plan and we'll see how it works out in the end. BTW these same things were said with Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Eric Dickerson, Jerome Bettis, Kevin Greene, London Fletcher etc etc etc etc etc

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Didn't care when saffold left, won't care when Fowler and Littleton leave.

Why? It's out of my control and i couldn't be fucked worrying about it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL I love little games please tell us all how right you were :) It was one season. The Rams had a plan and we'll see how it works out in the end. BTW these same things were said with Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Eric Dickerson, Jerome Bettis, Kevin Greene, London Fletcher etc etc etc etc etc
Well, I was sooooo right, the Pope calls me for advice....