No First Round QB Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just going through my head and I pretty much always have us taking a first round QB (because I think it's likely the best move). Well, what happens if our new HC doesn't like the first round QB(s) available to us at #8? In this mock, I'm assuming that Lynch and Goff are gone before our pick and Hue isn't a fan of Cook. I also am assuming that Wentz gets taken before our pick in the 2nd. What do we do?
Hire
Hue Jackson HC
Al Saunders OC
Jim Schwartz DC
John Fassel ST

Hue Jackson is definitely my #1 candidate for our head coaching job. I think he could turn things around quickly. I really was impressed with him in Oakland and he's only added to that with his work in Cincy. Saunders was his OC when he was in Oakland but Hue called the plays. Hue said he was willing to keep Schwartz on staff in Buffalo last year if hired. Schwartz wants another HC job. The Rams defense has a ton of talent. Makes sense for him to come here. Fassel worked under Hue in Oakland and has done well in St. Louis.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $10.5 million
Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $3 million

I can't take any more of Nick Foles at QB. We don't save much when we cut him but he's just not worth the roster spot. Barron walks in FA because he doesn't have a spot here after the departure of Williams and it's time for Mo Alexander to get a chance to show what he's worth (despite him still struggling a bit). Cutting Chris Long hurts but it's time. He can't stay healthy and his skills are declining. I also let Trumaine Johnson walk in FA because E.J. Gaines will be returning and LaMarcus Joyner has shown a lot of improvement this year. Plus, Trumaine has a habit of getting injured. Britt actually is a good fit for Hue's scheme so he ends up staying.

Free Agency
Glenn-Cordy-4.jpg

Cordy Glenn OT/OG - 5 years $40 million

102913_Curry_600.jpg

Vinny Curry DE - 3 years $15 million

Akiem-Hicks-2.jpg

Akiem Hicks DT - 2 years $4 million

ed-reynolds-darrius-heyward-bey-nfl-preseason-pittsburgh-steelers-philadelphia-eagles-590x900.jpg

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR - 2 years $2 million

Washington-N..jpg

Nate Washington WR - 1 year $1 million

This is an interesting signing. Paying Cordy Glenn $8 million a year at LT is overvaluing him. Eugene Monroe, Jared Veldheer, and Will Beatty all received less than that and are better LTs. However, Glenn isn't being paid $8 million a year to be our LT. Like Leonard Davis, he's only an average LT. However, I think he'll be an elite OG. So I'm paying him top money to play OG and the versatility to play LT helps if Greg Robinson can't get it figured out. If Robinson can't develop enough his third year, we move Glenn to LT and Robinson to LG in his 4th year. Not ideal but hopefully Greg can develop. Because I think Glenn will make one hell of a LG. Plus, Glenn is a great fit for the power blocking scheme that Hue runs.

Vinny Curry steps in to replace Long. He will rotate with Hayes and Westbrooks at LDE and give Quinn a breather at RDE. Has been a fairly productive pass rusher in the Eagles 3-4 scheme the past two years with 9 sacks in 2014. I think he's a better fit in the 4-3 so there's potential for him to step up and take the starting LDE job here.

Akiem Hicks replaces Nick Fairley. He's an extremely talented athlete that fits the Waufle mold (hoping we can retain him) in terms of size (6'5" 325) who has underachieved a bit thus far in his career but also shown flashes of brilliance. We have arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. I think he might be able to bring out the best in Hicks who is still a young player.

Darrius Heyward-Bey steps in to give us WR depth behind Britt and Austin going into the draft. I'd like to have added Markus Wheaton via trade but I talked to some Steelers fans and they don't think it's likely that he's traded. DHB had the best year of his career (975 yards) under Hue Jackson in Oakland and is a good fit for his vertical scheme. DHB has always had blazing speed but hands are an issue. Still, he played decently for the Steelers prior to Martavis Bryant coming back this year.

Nate Washington is another WR depth add that will compete with DHB. He's been a consistently solid WR for the past 5-6 years and has played well this year for Houston. He's getting up there in years so we'll see if he has enough left to make the team but if he does, his veteran leadership will be useful for the WR corp.

Trade
Rams trade Round 4 Pick #8
Buccaneers trade QB Mike Glennon

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #8
Falcons trade Round 2 Pick #18, Round 4 Pick #18

Hue Jackson seems like the type of coach that will want a veteran QB for his system. It's possible that he'll be good going into the draft with Sean Mannion but I think it makes sense for him to make a move like this. Glennon played solid football when he started for the Bucs in the past and is a solid fit for Hue's system. Hue tends to make the most out of the QBs he works with and Glennon's skill-set isn't a bad fit for his system.

Falcons are always an aggressive team on draft day and the Rams tend to work well with them. They want to move up for a pass rusher that fell out of the first round. The Rams are willing to move down and recoup a 4th.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #8 - Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11Ro_RO7aE

Analysis: Normally, I'd say that you don't buy rims for a car you don't have.(draft a WR when you lack a QB) In this case, we give ourselves an opportunity to improve our weapons with an incredibly talented player in Treadwell. As a blocker, Treadwell is tenacious, powerful, and has a mean streak. He looks to bury the defender and plays through the whistle. He's like Cortland Finnegan on offense. He pushes the DB's buttons all game long to try and tick the DB off. As a receiver, he's incredibly physically talented. He doesn't possess burning speed but he's an extremely explosive athlete with crazy agility for a 6'2" 220 pound WR. When the ball is in his hands, Treadwell shows off great vision, shocking elusiveness, and the power/balance to run through tackles and stay on his feet. He's extremely physical with or without the ball in his hands and shows the ability to create separation using his size and strength. On top of this, Treadwell has great body control which makes him difficult to cover on back-shoulder throws and allows him to adjust to the ball in the air. His hands aren't elite but they're definitely good. He drops some passes and doesn't come down with some balls in traffic that guys like Alshon, Fitz, etc. do. However, he has the ability to climb the ladder and come down with the ball as well as snatch it away from defenders in contested catch situations. All in all, he's a stellar athlete with all the tools needed to be a standout #1 WR on this team. His route running and release need some development but the tools are there.
NFL Comparison: DeMaryius Thomas

Round 2 Pick #14 - Hunter Henry TE Arkansas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8roJxXin-w

Analysis: I'm a big fan of Evan Engram but I think Hunter Henry makes more sense here. Henry has prototypical NFL TE size at 6'5" 250 and has been highly productive for Arkansas this year and throughout his career. He possesses great hands and is known for making tough catches in traffic. He's a very reliable option in the passing game with the acceleration and agility to get open on short to intermediate routes. Doesn't have game-breaking speed but has enough speed to threaten the seam. Basically, he's a good athlete with great hands and size. As a blocker, he's pretty average. Doesn't overpower guys when blocking inline. His fundamentals and technique are pretty sound. They can better but they're not bad. But he's more of a wall them off blocker than a bury them in the dirt blocker. That all said, he's an effective enough blocker due to his size and technique that he won't be a liability if asked to block inline. Not a good pass blocker...but we're not drafting the guy to pass block.
NFL Comparison: Tyler Eifert

Round 2 Pick #18 - Jacoby Brissett QB North Carolina State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_IMiZiFpKE

Analysis: Some will see the Jason Campbell comparison and wonder why we're spending a 2nd round pick on him. There are a couple reasons for that. The first is that if you think a QB has starter potential, you typically need to draft him a few slots above where you have him. I have Brissett as a late 2nd/mid 3rd round QB right now so our 3rd round pick would be ideal but if the draft works out the way it has here, I'd rather not risk it by waiting a round. The second reason is that Hue Jackson did impressive things with Jason Campbell in Oakland and that was after Washington "developed" him (well, not really). Plus, Brissett has Donovan McNabb potential if developed right. He's a big guy at 6'4" 235, he's athletic and very elusive in the pocket, and he has strong arm. His accuracy is solid but not elite. He throws well in the short range and solidly in the intermediate range but he's very hit and miss on the deep ball. This is one area that Hue tends to really improve his QBs on (deep accuracy). Additionally, Brissett is a conservative passer that takes a few too many sacks rather than throwing INTs but for us, that might be more acceptable with our defense and running game. His feel for pressure needs to improve but he moves well in the pocket, is incredibly strong and difficult to take down, and is very elusive when he feels the pressure. It's like watching Roethlisberger at times. There was one play where a VT DE jumped on Brissett's sack and Brissett literally carried him for a 2 yard gain instead of being sacked for a short loss. He's also improved quite a bit at NC State, is known for his leadership, and is tough as nails. He needs to do a better job of protecting himself because he takes so many big hits but the kid is completely unafraid of hits and puts himself out there.
NFL Comparison: Jason Campbell

Round 3 Pick #8 - Mike Matthews C Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6osh3LY1VXk

Analysis: Yep, there's another Matthews. Mike isn't blessed with the size that Jake had as he's only 6'2" 290 but he's definitely got the same sort of athleticism and feet that Jake has. He looks smooth and fluid when pulling, he gets to the second level with ease, and doesn't have any issues reaching to either side in the run game. Outstanding feet for an interior OL. People I respect greatly have been talking him up and I got a chance to check out a couple of his games, I have to agree with him. Seriously talented kid. People will use his size against him but he's a rock out there. Doesn't get bulled one on one when up against NTs. Holds his ground and uses his leverage, technique, and quick feet to stalemate his man. As a run blocker, he looks good blocking on move and has enough power to clear lanes when power blocking. Isn't going to be pancaking guys left and right in the power game like Evan Boehm but he's not going to hurt you there either. Needs to play a bit more under control on the second level which will help him better engage and sustain those blocks. Still, this kid is an intelligent player that will be a major asset to whatever team drafts him to play Center in pass pro. Probably a better fit for a ZBS team but talent is talent. He'll do well enough as a run blocker here and his pass blocking skills will mean a lot to this team.
NFL Comparison: Jason Kelce

Round 4 Pick #18 - Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple and Kentrell Brothers from Missouri are also worth considering. But right now, Wright is being considered a mid round pick due to his lack of measurables and his injury keeping him out all year. He has reportedly already hired an agent, though, and is set on declaring.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 6 Pick #8 - Kevin Peterson CB Oklahoma State

Projected Starters
QB: Mike Glennon
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Laquon Treadwell
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Cordy Glenn
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Will Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Scooby Wright III
LCB: E.J. Gaines
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

FRO

Legend
Treadwell is a tremendous fit for our power run offense. Also buying rims before you have a car worked well for Cincinnati with Green and Dalton. You never know.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Treadwell looks like a talent, but my God he carries the football like a loaf of bread.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure on Glennon is he Nick Foles part deux? However, if Hue Jackson signed off on it I would be fine. Not sure on Brissett, great athlete, but not very accurate. I still believe Rams will be high enough in the draft to take Jarred Goff and IMO, Goff should be priority one!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You sure do have a thing for Scooby.....Man, i'd hate to pass on him if he can play like Borland did.....

Love Brissett....strength, speed, and looks to throw but can run....We need a real scrambler....

If we're losing Tru, we need to draft a better corner....And I don't know why we're dumping Barron....Lets see if Mo can play these next 4 games...Lots of people like McLeod, not me....I can't stand missed tackles from the safety position....

One more year with Barnes starting at center will probably get someone killed...

Love you mocks jrry....please do one where we keep all of our defensive players, and just draft offense.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Nice mock, always like the research you put into building the roster. Of course the biggie for me is also there's no filthy disgusting Whiner crap players so I could actually root for this team!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about we get Kaepernick instead of Glennon since we're drafting Brissett?? Lol!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about we get Kaepernick instead of Glennon since we're drafting Brissett?? Lol!

This was if Kaepernick didn't hit FA for one reason or another.

Plus, I don't think Brissett is the same type of QB. He's not really a runner. Yea, he has the ability to take off and likes to scramble but he's much more of a pocket passer than CK ever was.

Wouldn't want to use him as a running QB. Think he's worth developing as a pocket passer.

But I understand your reference (after our discussion in the last mock). ;)

Stel

Starter
This was if Kaepernick didn't hit FA for one reason or another.

Plus, I don't think Brissett is the same type of QB. He's not really a runner. Yea, he has the ability to take off and likes to scramble but he's much more of a pocket passer than CK ever was.

Wouldn't want to use him as a running QB. Think he's worth developing as a pocket passer.

But I understand your reference (after our discussion in the last mock). ;)

What if Mannion is progressing well? What if he is starter material and will be ready to move into the back up role in 2016 (and likely play in 2016 as well as anyone we have now) and take over as starter in 2017? In that case, I could see drafting a top QB at the top of the first round (assuming he would become a better starter than Mannion) but it seems like taking another mid rounder would be unlikely. Seems like we'd be more likely to look for a one year bridge than another draft pick. Sure would be nice to know what we have in Mannion but somehow I don't think we're going to find out before the next draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if Mannion is progressing well? What if he is starter material and will be ready to move into the back up role in 2016 (and likely play in 2016 as well as anyone we have now) and take over as starter in 2017? In that case, I could see drafting a top QB at the top of the first round (assuming he would become a better starter than Mannion) but it seems like taking another mid rounder would be unlikely. Seems like we'd be more likely to look for a one year bridge than another draft pick. Sure would be nice to know what we have in Mannion but somehow I don't think we're going to find out before the next draft.

And I wasn't a Mannion fan when we drafted him. So he's gotta prove it to me. He hasn't yet. I feel more optimistic about Brissett.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Great mock and I like your suggestions for free agency. I would really like it if we could snag Wisniewski at Center though. Hopefully it can happen because I think he'd be a massive upgrade at the position. If we can't get him we need to go for the most athletic Center we can get in the Draft. Barnes does not have the quick first step to get a hat on someone on those outside zone runs. He got Gurley tackled in the backfield again yesterday because of this. If Matthews is anywhere near as athletic as his brother he'd be a good fit.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
PFF just mocked us to take Myles Jack at #12 overall which is be jacked with!

I get this is a "no QB" draft but i cant get excited about an offense with Mike Glennon at the helm. I domt think Laquan Treadwell would help all that much if thr giraffe is running the show...

Re: corner wouldn't we be better paying Tru22 than Jenkins (I know Jenkins is borderline elite shutdown but he will want $13m or so.

Stel

Starter
PFF just mocked us to take Myles Jack at #12 overall which is be jacked with!

I get this is a "no QB" draft but i cant get excited about an offense with Mike Glennon at the helm. I domt think Laquan Treadwell would help all that much if thr giraffe is running the show...

Re: corner wouldn't we be better paying Tru22 than Jenkins (I know Jenkins is borderline elite shutdown but he will want $13m or so.

A LB at #12 would be disappointing.

If someone wants to pay Jenkins $13 mil per year, hope it isn't us. I want him to stay, but $13 mil would make him the 5th highest paid corner. Not convinced he is the 5th best. $10 to $11 mil range seems more likely. Johnson is a bit harder to for me to gauge. I didn't think he had the ability to be that #1 corner each team needs, but now I'm not so sure. You may be right - keeping Johnson over Jenkins, if we can't keep both, may be the correct move.

FrankenRam

Starter
I think you're making a rather large assumption that Fisher will be gone next year. If I were a bettin' man, I'd say the odds are 60-40 (+ or -) he'll be back.

And wouldn't cutting Foles create a moderately painful cap hit? I would not be entirely surprised to see him back as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you're making a rather large assumption that Fisher will be gone next year. If I were a bettin' man, I'd say the odds are 60-40 (+ or -) he'll be back.

And wouldn't cutting Foles create a moderately painful cap hit? I would not be entirely surprised to see him back as well.

We save very little money cutting Foles...but we do open up a roster spot. And that's the value. No reason to have a guy on the roster that has no value to us.

As for Fisher, I don't pretend that I am trying to predict what the Rams would do. I don't want Fisher back so this is one of the scenarios I'd be happy with.

FrankenRam

Starter
We save very little money cutting Foles...but we do open up a roster spot. And that's the value. No reason to have a guy on the roster that has no value to us.

As for Fisher, I don't pretend that I am trying to predict what the Rams would do. I don't want Fisher back so this is one of the scenarios I'd be happy with.

I get wanting to open up a roster spot. I just kinda doubt they're going to want to pay him to sit at home so they can pay someone else to take his spot.......unless they're as convinced as you there's no way he'll ever amount to more than he's shown thus far. And given they must have seen something in him to sign him to the extension so early, it doesn't seem likely they'll give up on him that easily. Even if only as a backup, I would not be the least bit surprised to see him on the roster next year.