No bad ideas: how would you fix NFL officiating?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it is easy to fix.

Every year evaluate the refs performances. No ref should be calling a much higher rate of penalties than others. No refs should be calling a much higher rate of penalties against particular teams. So for each game and each team track their penalties and the refs that called the games. By the end of the year guys like Triplette would be obviously booted for bias calls against certain teams. There would be an established mean that all refs should fit within to a certain degree of fault. Any ref wildly outside that range gets shitcanned.

At least this would give some consistency.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you have to make officials full time, well paid, with performance bonuses (money for good calls, fines for bad calls). But the base salary even for the low hanging fruit should be $1 million per year.

Owners need to realize that you are going to lose fans sooner or later - better to pay the officials than lose fans.

Pass interference needs to go the college route.

Sensors on every QB, RB, and WRs helmet and torso - officials would have something on them that would notify them when a player is touched - for the helmet they can then easily determine if there was a hit to the QBs head.

For the torso, you can better tell if a WR is being interfered with.

Do something about holding - go one way or the other. Emphasize it or come out and say it's legal....but calling it 4 times on one team and none on another can decide a game.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Only hire foreign migrant workers who don't speak English or have ever visited the U.S.
Replace the 75% worst graded after each season, and those returning can't live in the U.S. following the season.

The Onion

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd make every rule work like scoring plays. Have every play reviewed by a team in New York. If it's a really close play, they call the official on the field and stop play for more time to review.

Have some of the old guard move to this position, and move some new Ref's into on the field duty. This will allow them to churn through some more talent and find some good ref's. I haven't heard anything bad about the female side jude employed this year, so they can probably expand that program and let more females in to further extend the talent pool.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Won't happen but assign the officials to their game with only 24 hours notice each week.
I honestly suspect there's some of this going on in Goodell's league. The timing of these flags have become so much like David Stern's NBA it's disgusting.
th