Nighttrain Edition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What band leader recorded the popular song that gave Dick "Night Train" Lane his nickname?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here's to you Jim:

I will try to keep up on these. It may not be daily and I will also probably be posting some trivia from the NFL as a whole. Good luck and have fun.

Note: These questions will change almost daily. I will unsticky them as soon as I post the answer.

OK so here is the deal. Years ago I found an LA Rams Trivia Game in a Goodwill. I pretty much bought it as a piece of memorabilia. Now with the Rams moving back, I thought it might make for a fun game for some of us old timers. Odd thing is that about 70% of the questions have nothing to do with the Rams.

So here is what I will do. I will post the questions that are Rams related and let you guys answer. I will then post the answers the next day. These are not easy questions as far as I can tell but maybe the memory function of my brain has been compromised.
spicoli385-jpg.11961

There is only basically one rule. No search engines or internet sites to look up answers that you will post later. I realize some will still look up the answers. I know I would if I didn't have the cards. But I want to see how many out there actually know the answers. So if you do feel like looking them up on the internet, feel free.

And if you know the answer, don't post it. Comment all you want.

Now - keep in mind. I said the internet is off limits. But if you have books, magazines, football cards, etc... feel free to use them. That may seem hypocritical but it's about time some of us got some use out of all that stuff we've bought over the years.

Cheers.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Now I'm Totally Confused...

I thought Axl Rose and Slash recorded that song!

WTF

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dream on, dream on, dream on, dream on until your dream come true.........

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Nope, but they probably did drink their share of it !!!

6.jpg

That drink IS the reason they came up with that song btw. Those fuckers used to drink that cheap shit all the time when they still didn't have any money. Kind of a funny story... but true...check it out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That drink IS the reason they came up with that song btw. Those fuckers used to drink that cheap crap all the time when they still didn't have any money. Kind of a funny story... but true...check it out.

That was one lousy band that made is SUPER big..........terrible songwriting for the most part and Rose has one of the worst voices in the history of rock. He makes Geddy Lee sound like an opera singer.

In the late 80's and early 90's you couldn't get away from them and I couldn't stand their music.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man... no love for Ziggy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't think many would get this one and let's just say you guys didn't disappoint.:ROFLMAO:

The song Night Train has a somewhat convoluted history. It was first recorded by sax player Jimmy Forrest in 1951 but never made any headway. The opening sax riff was originally done by Johnny Hodges on the song "That's the Blues, Old Man". Hodges was the long time alto sax player for none other than Duke Ellington. Hodges had a fairly short solo career before returning to Ellington's band.

BUT - in 1952, Buddy Morrow hit the charts with his recording of Night Train and that is when Mr. Lane got his nick name. By the way, Morrow's version was a straight instrumental and the opening riff was a trombone rather than a sax.

Though many songs have been named "Night Train" - ranging from blues to rock to country, the later "versions" really had nothing to do with the original. I'm not sure you could really call any of them covers except maybe James Brown's version as it incorporates a couple of the original riffs, though the lyrics have nothing in common with the original.

With all that, I can see why many of you thought Duke Ellington. Doesn't make you right though.:sneaky:

The answer of course is Buddy Morrow even if @RhodyRams thinks he knows the right answer. Wikipedia is often wrong on these things. Jimmy Forrest's name is on the old LPs but it was Buddy Morrow's version that was actually put to vinyl and therefore would have been the one being played by Tom Fears. :p

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.