Nickell Robey-Colman is now a UFA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
. THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. - The Los Angeles Rams have decided not to exercise the option in cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman's contract. He is now an unrestricted free agent.

A former University of Southern California standout, Robey-Coleman returned to L.A. in 2017 after spending his first four seasons with the Buffalo Bills. Across three seasons with the Rams, he tallied 122 combined tackles, 20 pass breakups and three interceptions while missing only one regular season game.

Robey-Coleman originally entered the NFL by signing with the Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2013. He has made 289 tackles, 48 pass breakups and six interceptions in 111 career games.

For more information, or to keep up with the Rams free agency news, visit www.therams.com/freeagency.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Liked NRC, but that's at a position where we can definitely afford the loss.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Who do we have that can backfill his spot? My recollection was that McVay had stated cuts were made at CB since some players were not versatile to play slot. Really concerns me as we lose Littleton and NRC who were good covering TEs and slot receivers.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like were clearing room to add a mid level guy or 3 LOL

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who do we have that can backfill his spot? My recollection was that McVay had stated cuts were made at CB since some players were not versatile to play slot. Really concerns me as we lose Littleton and NRC who were good covering TEs and slot receivers.
If they were good at covering TE and RB why did we get gashed by them so often?

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I think quite a few people saw this one coming. We have plenty of options at corner and can use every dollar saved.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would say that there are two fairly easy Nickle Corner prospects to replace NRC. last yrs 3rd round selection David Long & Darious Williams who is entering his 3rd season in the NFL. I would think that Williams will have a leg up on Long. Long will be a better #1 outside corner reserve behind Ramsey & Hill. It will also make Adonis Alexander chances of making this roster too. This will be CB Alexander's 3rd Training Camp with his first two being on the Redskins. Yes, you can now expect a CB to be drafted.

Rams just added back $4.5 million into their salary cap. Salary cap went back up to $24.3 million now

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yep !! David Long or D.Williams both can handle the spot. His contract was a little high He got front money. It took The Rams time to resign him last season. Must have not had any value at his salary price.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
AGREED @BonifayRam we have enough CBs to replace him. Still will need to add one on day 3 tho. Always gotta be adding a CB to develop (yearly)

Psycho_X

Legend
Damn, he’s one of the best at that position but we have adequate to great depth to replace him and need cap room so understand the move. Looking forward to us gaining talent instead of losing at some point this week lol.

Ram65

Legend
NRC was a great free-agent pickup for the Rams. Great might be overstating it but, for the cost and production, he gave the Rams solid value.

I've been saying you never have enough CBs in the NFL. Injuries happen all too often. I wonder if the Rams tried to lower his cost and he refused or they just feel they didn't need him. Either way, the Rams need the cap space. Wish NRC well with continued success as long as it's not against the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It’s obvious that Staley has done his evaluations and thinks he’s replaceable. I thought NRC was a good nickel corner.

This kind of has the Saffold feel to it though. Ditch a productive player in favor of an unproven one. I hope Staley is a better talent scout than whomever made the decision to let Saffold walk for peanuts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was thinking that NRC would be used as trade fodder during the draft. But if Rams needed the funds to resign the #1 priority OL'ers Whitworth/Blythe then he would be released.

oldnotdead

Legend
Frankly, you could see this coming last year. NRC's frequent freelancing and not playing the scheme were a reason there were so many open receivers. It's what caused him to panic and intentionally PI in the championship game. He was looking for a splash play and simply not playing the scheme. I don't care how talented a player might be, if he can't be counted on to play the scheme he's useless. If NRC doesn't understand why he's on the street he only needs to watch his own game films.

Williams looked good in his limited play as did Deayon. Adonis Alexander has safety size (6'3")and speed (4.6) and if he can cover, he might be a far better matchup with RB's and especially TE's.

I can see them taking a CB in this draft and it remains to be seen if Troy Hill can stay on this team. His lack of burst to match coming out of breaks was clearly evident last year which is why IMO he's not slot CB potential. He's basically a backup boundary CB with Long and Ramsey the starters.

dang

Legend
Frankly, you could see this coming last year. NRC's frequent freelancing and not playing the scheme were a reason there were so many open receivers. It's what caused him to panic and intentionally PI in the championship game. He was looking for a splash play and simply not playing the scheme. I don't care how talented a player might be, if he can't be counted on to play the scheme he's useless. If NRC doesn't understand why he's on the street he only needs to watch his own game films.

Williams looked good in his limited play as did Deayon. Adonis Alexander has safety size (6'3")and speed (4.6) and if he can cover, he might be a far better matchup with RB's and especially TE's.

I can see them taking a CB in this draft and it remains to be seen if Troy Hill can stay on this team. His lack of burst to match coming out of breaks was clearly evident last year which is why IMO he's not slot CB potential. He's basically a backup boundary CB with Long and Ramsey the starters.
And as sure as the sun rises and sets daily you take a shot at NRC. He has been a damn good player for the Rams. Worth every cent he was paid. The salary cap and the timing of his contract made him a target for release not his “freelancing”. Pick on Peters, Fowler or Matthews freelancing before picking on NRC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Damn, he’s one of the best at that position but we have adequate to great depth to replace him and need cap room so understand the move. Looking forward to us gaining talent instead of losing at some point this week lol.

Sort of my take. He’s a good player, but we need to balance the books somehow.