Nickel defense is the new base defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...el-defense-is-the-new-base-defense-in-the-nfl

When you hear the term "base defense," what do you picture? Chances are, if your favorite team plays a 4-3, then you picture four defensive linemen, three linebackers and four defensive backs. If your favorite team plays a 3-4, then you picture three defensive linemen, four linebackers and four defensive backs.

Here's the thing, though: no matter which set your favorite team plays out of, you're picturing the wrong thing. That's because the nickel defense has taken over the NFL. Here, via Peter King at The MMQB, is the evidence.

The 2015 season was the seventh straight year for an increase in the number of defensive snaps in the NFL with five defensive back or more on the field. Per Pro Football Focus here is the percentage of plays in NFL games with five DBs or more on the field in every season since 2008:

2008: 43.4%

2009: 45.1%

2010: 48.8%

2011: 52.5%

2012: 54.4%

2013: 58.3%

2014: 60.3%

2015: 63.4%

Nearly two-thirds of all snaps were played in the nickel defense last season, so it's about time we start referring to sets with five defensive backs as the base NFL defense. The rise of slot cornerbacks and hybrid safety/linebacker types has coincided with the proliferation of spread offense concepts throughout the NFL. Offenses are turning to more one-back sets, more three-wide sets, and more shotgun with each passing season, and defenses have predictably responded by putting additional coverage players on the field.

King puts forth this trend as reason the Titans could opt for Florida State corner/safety Jalen Ramsey with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft over Ole Miss tackle Laremy Tunsil (if they don't trade the pick to a QB-needy team).

The NFL, as the Pro Football Focus numbers show, has transitioned into more of a three-down passing league. Ramsey had only three interceptions in the past three college seasons at Florida State, but he seems the most pro-ready corner in this draft. He's a 6-1, 210-pound specimen with the ability to cover the kind of big receivers the league is fielding today. He can play cornerback, he can move inside and cover the slot receiver, and he can play a center-field kind of safety if need be. He's the kind of versatile defensive back every coach wants. The Titans have a crying need at tackle, after allowing more sacks than any team in football last fall. But they also need a corner and a nickel defender as well, and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau would froth at the chance to use a player with the blitzing and tackling skills of Ramsey.

So … do not assume Tennessee is locked into Tunsil. Robinson certainly could take him. But the top of the draft is in flux, and I will not be surprised if in the next three weeks the Titans move the pick for an extra high pick or picks—even though there's not the Andrew Luck or Marcus Mariota out there to move up and grab. But there are teams like San Francisco or Los Angeles or Philadelphia that might want a quarterback, and might be desperate enough to overpay for the top pick.

Ramsey is widely considered the top defensive back in the draft, and in some circles has been mentioned as the best defensive player or even best overall player available. The Titans could certainly choose to go in that direction, even if Tunsil seems more likely. If Ramsey does go No. 1, he would be the first DB picked in that spot since 1956.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. There is nothing like a good corner. But they have to protect Mariota first. JMHO.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And nice job, CGI... I had no idea the nickel defense was used so frequently. Now I understand why Fisher is paying Barron so much. At first I thought he might be a tweener, but now I see how valuable a "hybrid" is to this style of defense. And Barron was very good at it last year!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's why it's so awesome to have Barron. You can switch from base 4-3 to big nickel (pre-snap) without switching personnel.
If Barron sharpens his coverage skills this year, he's gonna be beast and a sure-fire Pro-Bowler.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fisher and snead ahead of the curve with Gurley. He should make tons of yards against those tiny dbs. After the oline opens some holes for him.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Fisher and snead ahead of the curve with Gurley. He should make tons of yards against those tiny dbs. After the oline opens some holes for him.

You're assuming the defense will trot out 5 DB's regardless of the Rams personnel? If the Rams have Kendricks and Harkey on the field at the same time, if I'm the D-coordinator, I'm using 3 LB's.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're assuming the defense will trot out 5 DB's regardless of the Rams personnel? If the Rams have Kendricks and Harkey on the field at the same time, if I'm the D-coordinator, I'm using 3 LB's.

Yeah but sometimes you have to run when they expect a pass.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If Ramsey does go No. 1, he would be the first DB picked in that spot since 1956.
I asked this question the first time I read this point. Can anyone name for me that Player Taken in 1956!? IDK who it was!! Maybe ' Night-Train' Lane!?!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Gary Glick, from Colorado A&M to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I had to look it up. I thought it was Dick Lane as well...

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It is a passing League and I don't see it returning to a more traditional running game anytime soon.Sure there might be 2-3 teams that run a little more but overall it's all about the QB passing.That's why we need to get one that can get the job done.Can you imagine if we had a better than average QB with Gurley in the backfield. Not to mention our defense playing with the lead in a few more games for a change. So hopefully Snead and or Fisher find a way to get us that QB to put us over the top.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It should be noted too, that the Rams are the first team to truly go to the "right" and "left" at safety, not "strong" and 'free', which makes the two safeties almost interchangeable. While I think Joyner might be used at S now that the Rams singed Sensebaugh, should be noted that when McDonald went down, first one in at S was Mo Alexander, so don't count out Mo as a replacement for McCloud.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It should be noted too, that the Rams are the first team to truly go to the "right" and "left" at safety, not "strong" and 'free', which makes the two safeties almost interchangeable. While I think Joyner might be used at S now that the Rams singed Sensebaugh, should be noted that when McDonald went down, first one in at S was Mo Alexander, so don't count out Mo as a replacement for McCloud.

and didn't mo look good when he had the chance to show his stuff. although i think they see him in the barron mold. maybe they didn't think they were gonna keep barron but he was sooo good they threw money at him out of need and want. will be interesting to see how they use him now because he definitely showed he belongs.

should be a good battle between him/bryant/davis for the safety spot.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Fisher is one of the last holdouts for a ground and pound offense. Even Seattle went from a power run team to a more wide open offense, attacking downfield more. They did it out of necessity. Could Fisher adapt if Gurley went down? I don't think so.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Once Gregg was hired the Rams defense shifted gears faster & faster into the Nickle & then dime defenses. I have no way of proving it maybe some member knows where the data is but I have always said that Gregg base defense is the Nickel. Gregg shifts onto the dime where normally other defenses are just going to the Nickle.

One very big reason this team is not in need of a LB'er depth as many decry. Rams normally have Akeem Ayers standing on the sideline more that he is on the field & he gets paid good to be off the field. Ayers is our top LB'ing reserve. IMO the move of Alec Ogletree into the middle was a done deal once Mark Barron proved very early he was just as good as Tree playing the Weak side. Tree pass defense skills even adds to this " Placement of putting coverage players on the field". It was evident that JL's speed had diminished into a major liability. Tree's excellent speed in coverage & was well known before being drafted that Tree plays the position like a safety.

Our deep safety last 3 seasons was a under 5-10/190 pounder. I really have no desire to see Maurice Alexander @ deep safety in our DB. Mo was a OLB'er in college from 2009thru 2011, is built like a LB'er (6-1/222 pounds) for all purposes who was asked to play safety for one season his final yr. Mo's big, physical, athletic, converted LB'er is a "in the box safety" not a deep safety. Mo would be severely "Miscast" in deep coverage with his below average hands. Plus do we really want to move this young SS again to another position & prefer he remain @ SS & build on that!

To show where Snead/Fisher were going go back before the 2013 draft when they drafted TJ McDonald who played moved into more of a hybrid linebacker/safety role for USC & excelled. TJ had shoulder injuries @ USC which reappeared in 2014 & 2015 seasons last yr he was IR'd after shoulder surgery. If one of these two SS's were to be tried @ deep safety TJ would be my #1 choice. Let Mo continue to start @ SS where he finished 7 games as starter in 2015 & continue to learn that post well. I would let the 6-21/2 inch tall with over 33 inch arms TJ go deep. It would keep TJ out of so many of those damaging hits & to his surgically reconstructed shoulder. TJ's right shoulder has been a deadly weapon for opponents for 3 seasons. TJ uses his that shoulder to bring real power over & over into the back or midsection of TE/RB/WR with some serious closing speed & tenacity. TJ lurking :heh:deep will cause jitters & anxiety for WR's. TJ has far better ball skills than Mo.

Gregg likes the big Nickel anyway having Mo/TJ/Mark starting in his base & then adding more DBs just looks right into the future. Starting CB's of Gaines/Johnson then Joyner & Coty Sensabaugh in the Nickle & Dime sure looks good to me.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx Bony, Mo more like Barron in his skill set. I also expect to see Joyner and a healthy Christian Bryant at S in pre-season. Rams most likely will draft a DB. Rams are fine in the backfield.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's why it's so awesome to have Barron. You can switch from base 4-3 to big nickel (pre-snap) without switching personnel.
If Barron sharpens his coverage skills this year, he's gonna be beast and a sure-fire Pro-Bowler.

Don't forget Ogletree. He's also come a long way in coverage and is a beast at covering field and forcing fumbles. Then you have TJ and Mo, both of whom with Barron give the Rams big rangy guys owning the middle of the field.

IMO we're going to hear a LOT about how fast the Rams defense is this year. Given health, they're gonna be so nasty man, can't wait to see them settle in together.