Nick Wagoner Chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1719?a_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1719?a_id=2</a>

47450e52f55a9ecf76607c1b158e25e7.jpeg

Nick Wagoner
Hey everyone. I thank you all for your patience and understanding the past week when I couldn't be here. I'll be here as long as possible today so get those questions in. Let's go...

jj, reno nv 1:48 PM ET
Nick, if we are unable to bring Jack back do you think the Rams are comfortable with what they have or do you see the Rams go via free agency or draft to find a new back.

Nick Wagoner
Good question. My initial thought is that it would become a need that would have to be addressed. I'd think they'd go the draft route to add another piece but then you're left with four relatively unproven guys trying to step in. It's an interesting situation.

Travis , LOZ 1:50 PM ET
When it comes to our first round picks, does we base it off of needs or best available? Many mocks have us taking Warmack or Cooper (both guards)with one of our first picks. In my opinion Warmack is the best player at any position that is ready for the league. Do we draft a guard when we have Dahl and Rok? If we do end up taking a guard, are we trying to replace dahl and his contract or just adding depth at guard even though Rok looks the part of a starting guard? I feel out need at RT OLB and S should play a role in whom we take. However, if Warmack is available I'd take him in a heart beat. Thanks

Nick Wagoner
All indications for the Rams are good in this draft in terms of having need meet value. This draft is strong at positions where the Rams need help. That leads one to think they'll be able to get the best player available but also a guy who fills a need. That's what you always hope for.

Dan DeBarba, Sacramento Ca. 1:51 PM ET
Hey Nick which Ram's colors are your Favorite. Im a fan of the 1999 colors.

Nick Wagoner
I'm partial to the old white and blue. But I like most of the combinations they have.

Mike , NJ 1:52 PM ET
Hey Nick its that time of year where the boredom of the offseason can get crazy. One of the things that has bothered me about this time of year is how there are players in the draft who get pushed up and others fall and it is all based on craziness. A beautiful example of this was Stephen Hill last year, talking heads had him maybe beating out Blackmon as the first WR taken and he ends up being the 6 WR taken and goes at 43 to the Jets.I just think its funny, it was the opposite with Mark Barron, a lot of lay people who follow the draft had not heard of him or had him as a late first rounder then all of a sudden he goes seventh, how much moving around do prospects really experience during the draft process? Mayock said the other day that with a big week in Indy "Ziggy" could be pushed up into a top ten pick, if he was going to be a top ten pick wouldn't that have already been figured out based on tape? One more thing Keenan Allen is the best WR in this draft and would be a steal at 16 or 22, can we relax with the Patterson stuff, We already have a project at WR. If you had to choose a WR out of this group, who would it be. Allen at 16, Hopkins at 22, Patton at 46 or Woods at 78?

Nick Wagoner
You're right, it is funny. But here's what everyone needs to remember. Being pushed up or down "the board" has NOTHING to do with any boards that matter. The "boards" that people talk about our media creations and have nothing to do with the players the teams value. Teams already have a good idea of which players belong in the first round. They use the combine and all star games and predraft visits to finish the product and maybe break some ties but there are players on every team's draft board right this minute that you aren't seeing in the millions of mock drafts out there. Out of that group, I'd like Hopkins the best.

Rampage's Revenge, Stl. MO 1:55 PM ET
Rodney Smith (FSU) another big WR I like that can be had in the later rounds. I think of a taller, leaner and more athletic Marques Colston when I watch him. IS/SHOULD HE BE ON THE RAMS' RADAR? I like Keenan Allen, Marcus Davis and Tavon Austin as well as Smith being future Rams' WRs, what do you think?

Nick Wagoner
Not sure if he's on the radar or not but I'm sure the Rams have studied him. Florida State has a number of top prospects in this year's class.

jj, reno nv 1:56 PM ET
Nick, was wondering about Barksdale and where he fits in the o-line. Are they going to try and use him as a tackle or guard. And if so do they think high enough of him that he can compete for a starting job. Possibly, left guard against the Rok.

Nick Wagoner
I think he'll be right in the mix for the swing tackle spot and potentially could compete for the starting RT job depending on how the Rams go about their offseason. There's been some talk of him working at guard but it remains to be seen if he'll be in that mix.

Brian, Ithaca, NY 1:57 PM ET
Hi NIck, As an equipment manager for cornell, i was wondering how much you knew about our G/T, Joseph Tretter, draft gurus have him going somewhere in the 4th round, we know the rams have looked at him cause they have been here, too bad he got hurt in practice for the north/south game so he din't get a chance to show much but he is at the combine, great kid tough probably translates to guard in the pros, if you get a chance, let me know your scouting report. Our last lineman who made it pro has 2 super bowl rings with the g-men, Kevin Boothe, might be worth a look see if we don't get our guy beforehand.

Nick Wagoner
I'm not familiar with him but will keep an eye out for him in Indy. And you're right, if he turns out like Boothe he'd be a very nice pickup.

fred, boise 1:58 PM ET
hey Nick! having Titus Young come in was a mistake, I guess. what was it that turned the team off so soon (ten days). i was hoping that Pettis would be a calming effect but after talking with a former teamate he said that Young is for lack of better terms a jerk! your thoughts or insight. thanks Nick GO RAMS!

Nick Wagoner
Not sure I'd call it a mistake. It was worth taking a look and seeing if it could be a fit, was it not? It didn't cost the Rams anything in terms of salary or draft picks or anything like that. The Rams used the claim as a chance to get to know Young, essentially go through an interview and see where his head is at. They determined he wasn't a fit. It should be pretty clear that he has some other issues that need taking care of before playing again. And I'll just say this: don't be so quick to assume that because guys were teammates before that they have some tight friendship.

Walter, 2:01 PM ET
Who are your top 5 WRs? (In order)

Nick Wagoner
For the draft? I reserve the right to change my mind as I learn/see more in the next couple of months but here's where I stand right now: 1. Cordarrelle Patterson 2. DeAndre Hopkins 3. Keenan Allen 4. Tavon Austin 5. Justin Hunter

Travis, LOZ 2:03 PM ET
Would we really franchise danny?? I do not understand any type of logic in that. Many things I have read is that the Rams are willing to use it on him... I believe a franchised WR is due around the 10 million dollar mark. PLEASE tell us that Danny isn't going to get ten million for a year? That would kill any chance at bringing in a verteran safety or lineman. I love Amendola but he's only played twelve games in two seasons and definetly can't give him that much. If we do part ways with DA, Conner Vernon from Duke reminds me a lot of danny. Great at short, quick routes and has great hands. I could see a fourth (maybe even a third) round pick would be great and save the money we could spend on Amendola, and put it other places. Thanks.

Nick Wagoner
No, Danny won't be franchised.

Rampage's Revenge, Stl. MO 2:04 PM ET
Why is Leveon Bell not really given a lot of love? IMO, he is the best and beast of this draft. Do you think Bell compares favorably to Steven Jackson? Does Bell fit what the Rams want in a featured runner?

Nick Wagoner
I think he's definitely a good fit and a guy to keep an eye on. If you've been reading the work of our draft analyst Matt Feminis, you'll see that he gives plenty of love to Bell. In his initial top 5 rankings, he has Bell as the best RB in the draft class.

Don Riley , New Jersey 2:05 PM ET
I have an observation. I like Warford so much I watched a tape of Warmack against LSU and Cooper against Virginia Tech. Just to prove to myself Warford was a better player. Unfortunately after watching both Cooper and Warmack. I don't believe either one will be available at 16. They may when its all said and done be two of the top ten players in the draft and both might well be gone by the Rams first pick. I thought Cooper was the most valuable player on the North Carolina offense in the VT Game and Warmack is probably better (truly both of them are off the charts). I honestly believe all four (Johnson, Fisher, Cooper and Warmack) will be gone. I know (two guards in the first 15)...."no way"........well they are that good. Ok, say they are all gone all of those players (Johnson, Fisher, Cooper and Warmack)........ Where do the Rams go ?

Nick Wagoner
Actually, Don, I agree with you. I think there's a strong chance that Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Cooper and Warmack are all gone before the Rams pick. Tackles generally go higher than people expect, too and this is a good group at that spot. If that happens, that means some other players at other positions will be sliding down, perhaps a safety like Vaccaro or an LB like Ogletree or a stud DT like RIchardson. That would also still leave some other talented OTs like D.J. Fluker and Menelik Watson. Those are the types that fit the Rams mold, anyway.

Luke West Coast Rams Fan, 2:08 PM ET
Nick, I hope your emergency situation turned out ok last week. My question is do the Rams do their own practice mock draft prior to the real deal in order to prepare for differant situations.

Nick Wagoner
First, I thank everyone for the kind words worried about me last week. I lost someone very close to me last week to cancer and it's been a tough time. But the kind words of support here have been much appreciated. To answer your question, yes, the Rams just like every team run through nearly every imaginable scenario that could play out in the buildup to the draft. Once the board is stacked, they start looking at specific scenarios so they have a plan if those play out.

Pam, Boise 2:10 PM ET
Hello Nick! Can you tell us what you know about the new defensive coordinator. His credintials, experience, and any rleationship with Coach Fisher. I think having someone in that position will instantly improve the defense, as opposed to defense by committee. Thank You Nick! GO DRAFT TEAM!!

Nick Wagoner
Sure. My initial impression of Tim Walton is that he's a very energetic, organized type with a thirst to learn. This is an incredibly experienced defensive staff and Walton will bring some youthful exuberance to the table. He'll be contributing fresh ideas but also sounds excited to learn from guys like Fisher, McGinnis, Cecil, Bush and Waufle. He knows Fisher a bit from his time in Detroit. In 2011, when Fisher was sitting out the season, his son got his first NFL coaching job as an assistant secondary coach. The secondary coach he worked for? You got it, Tim Walton. Fisher wanted to hire him last year and it didn't work out. This time, it did.

Walter, 2:13 PM ET
No Patton? I've heard a lot of good things about him. Other than that I'd agree with your list

Nick Wagoner
I actually have Patton and Hunter neck and neck, pretty much tied. The one that runs better in Indy will probably break the tie.

Luis, Orlando 2:13 PM ET
hey,nick hope everything is good with the situation you had last week. my question to you is if we dont sign amendola who is going to be a legit number one wr for Bradford thats been a need with the fisher era and since we drafted Sam why is it taking that long to findhim a go to wr it aint like we are looking for a franchise QB... anyways thank you soo much nick again for youre time.

Nick Wagoner
Because it's hard to find those type of WRs. They don't come around very often. The Rams have had some bad luck too. Think about this: the Rams have only drafted in the teens a couple times in the past 10 years or so. The other times they've drafted near the top. In two of the years they had a decent enough record to draft in the middle of the round, those were the years guys like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Julio Jones went. The Rams picked 14th in 2011, thus missing a chance on Green or Jones. They picked 13th in 2007, thus missing the chance on Johnson. Imagine if the Rams had been as bad in those years as they had in some of the years they picked right at the top. Crazy how things work sometimes.

Rampage's Revenge, Stl. MO 2:17 PM ET
thoughts on Jared Cook reunion? I have my heart set on it!....your thoughts?

Nick Wagoner
Hate to break your heart but every indication coming from Tennessee is that he will be re-signed or tagged.

Luke, West Coast Rams Fan 2:17 PM ET
I'm confused about the salary cap. How could we be so tight and the Bucs have so much surplus. Didnt they spend a fortune on free agents last year?

Nick Wagoner
The Bucs were so far under the cap last year, they had to spend a boatload of cash just to get above the salary floor. The Rams had a bunch of room but then re-signed Chris Long and James Laurinaitis and signed Cortland FInnegan, Kendall Langford and Scott Wells to sizable deals.

jj , reno nv 2:19 PM ET
Nick, is it true that the Rams and Amendola are that far apart as far as money goes this early in the negotiations. And is it more of his injury prone nature or are lack of cap space, or both.

Nick Wagoner
I'm not sure it's fair to categorize it that way because I don't believe negotiations have really begun. I think we'll know more after this week as many discussions take place at the combine. Nobody questions Amendola's talent but the question is what can you afford to pay a player who is so effective when healthy but has rarely been healthy in the past two seasons?

Joe, Atlantic City 2:21 PM ET
Hi Nick, I was wondering if you can give us anything in the way of who the Rams will be wathing with particularly close attention at the combine. If not, any free agency news you are keeping close to your vest? Thanks as always Nick! Joe

Nick Wagoner
Not much to give up in terms of FA. WHat happens with Jackson and Amendola is really going to shape how this offseason goes.

Brian, Ithaca, NY 2:22 PM ET
Nick last year there was a story where Fischer and some of the coaches and back up QB's went to scout Brian Quick and have their qb's throw to him, if they were to do that again this year is it legal to take Sam and have him work out a kid before the draft?

Nick Wagoner
Yes. They can take anyone they want with them for pre-draft visits.

jj, reno nv 2:22 PM ET
With the depth at O-line in this years draft I would love too see the Rams try to add weapons for Sam early. Mainly, in Tavon Austin, Allen or at Te like Ertz or Eifret. Later, they could still find some nice quality O-line in 2nd to 4th round.

Nick Wagoner
I have to think adding weapons is a top priority for this offseason.

jj , reno nv 2:22 PM ET
If we don't resign Danny do we maybe try to bring gibson back due to the fact of only having 3 recievers on the active roster.

Nick Wagoner
That's possible. It's also possible Gibson could be brought back regardless of Amendola's situation. It'll depend on what Gibson costs.

Travis, LOZ 2:23 PM ET
I think Mikell played great this year, but nine million is steep. I say we are either cutting him or doing some major reconstructing. I read some reports saying that William Moore could be around the 6-8 million mark. I think he would be a great fit and pair him up with Kenny Vacarro (if we draft him) and the Rams D is even scarier than most will realize. If William Moore isn't availabe, would Jarius Byrd be an option? Any other safeties through FA that you can think of that would fit??? Thanks

Nick Wagoner
I think Mikell will likely be restructured and brought back at a lower rate. The Falcons aren't letting Moore go anywhere. I think the same is true of Buffalo and Byrd. There are some other good safeties out there, guys like Glover Quin from Houston or even more bargain types like Patrick Chung from New England. It's also a very good class in the draft. I wouldn't worry much about filling the safety needs this year. With so much talent available in the draft and free agency, it'll be something of a buyer's market.

Rampage's Revenge, Stl. MO 2:26 PM ET
Marcus Davis (VT) may not ever post Megatron caliber numbers, but he is a virtual physical clone. He is 6'4 232 pounds, with a 44 inch vertical and expected to run a sub 4.4 forty yard dash. He is ultra athletic, agile and explosive. The knocks are his blocking efforts and he's a HS QB, turned college wr. The Rams and coach Sherman have earned my trust, enough to bring this guy along with Quick, up to speed. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON DAVIS, AND IF HE FITS WHAT THE RAMS WANT AND/OR NEED?

Nick Wagoner
Sounds like an interesting prospect. I haven't seen him or heard much about him. I have a feeling if he posts the type of numbers you're talking about and shows well catching the ball, we'll know a lot more about him sooner than later.

Fred, Jacksonville 2:27 PM ET
i know you have been holding off on these questions type of questions but a) who would YOU rather have at wide out patterson or allen? and b) can you see us taking one of these two tight ends?

Nick Wagoner
I've answered it a number of times recently. Patterson is the best WR prospect in the draft to me and I'm not sure it's all that close. I could see the Rams going TE, sure. I think Eifert is a little better fit because he can block in line better than Ertz. Ertz has play making potential but he's a little repetitive with Kendricks, though I'm sure the Rams could find ways to use both.

Brian, ithaca, NY 2:29 PM ET
NIck, about the salary cap, i understand right now we have not much space but once Jacks' situation is dealt with and some of the over paid oline are either cut loose or had the contracts redone and Mckell is either cut or redone doesn't that put us in business to get at least one big hole filled thru Free agency?

Nick Wagoner
Well, that will depend on what happens with the Rams own free agents. Ultimately, the Rams will probably have about $10 million in cap space. Take out a nice chunk of that to pay the rookie class and you don't have a ton of room. They could theoretically afford some mid level FAs but anyone expecting another big splashy signing like Finnegan was last year is going to be disappointed.

MikeRams4Life, Rialto,Ca 2:30 PM ET
Well Nick, please retract any comments or questions on Titus as he is no longer an option. I like the DC hire of Walton, hes young and energetic, just what this club needs, most likely will bring some fresh ideas and ultimately improve an already rising Defense. I think with the development of Quick/Givens, and ofcourse the resigning of Danny, I feel that there will be a WR with some decent talent either in the 2nd round of the draft or free agency. I love Fishers patience and Sneads ability to take risks.

Nick Wagoner
It's a strong draft for WR, in my opinion. I think you could find a really good player in the second or third round.

Mike A, Godfrey IL 2:31 PM ET
If the Rams were to lose both Jackson and Amendola what compensatory draft picks could they expect in return?

Nick Wagoner
Hard to say because it would depend on what the Rams pick up in FA. But remember, the return of a compensatory pick for those guys would come until the 2014 NFL Draft.

chris goodman, indianapolis 2:32 PM ET
Hey Nick thanks for taking our questions. You do a great job. Charles Woodson released by packers. Would the Rams be interested?

Nick Wagoner
Just don't see it as a fit.

Walter, 2:32 PM ET
When your in Indy, could you try and get a read on how long C Patterson will last? I've seen him anywhere from 8 to 40 in mock drafts. Reminds me of Brockers' stock last year

Nick Wagoner
I will but I'm telling you right now I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go top 10. The scouting community has been on this guy a lot longer than the media and he's far ahead of where many media types are mocking him right now.

MikeRams4Life, Rialto,Ca 2:34 PM ET
Which WRs or RBs worth taking will fall in the 2nd round?

Nick Wagoner
Hard to say right now but at WR, I'd say guys like Robert Woods, Justin Hunter and Quinton Patton could be there. At RB, I'd think most everyone except Eddie Lacy could last.

Pam, Boise 2:36 PM ET
Hello NIck. Sorry for your loss and hope your pain subsides soon! What are the draft postitions after the first rounders we have? And what would be the cost to move up to get Warmack? Thanks You Nick!

Nick Wagoner
The Rams pick 16th in every round. The only additional pick is No. 22 in round one. Hard to say what the cost for moving up for Warmack would be. That's dependent on how far they'd have to move up. I wouldn't think the Rams would be giving up extra picks to move up for a guard, though I suppose anything is possible.

Kevin, Redding Ca. 2:37 PM ET
Hi Nick, What are youre thoughts on Marcus Latimore?If we could bring Jack back and pick him up in the third or fourth round we could bring him around slowly and have a real stud RB down the road.

Nick Wagoner
I'm a big Lattimore fan. He was one of my favorite players to watch in college the past couple years. Feel terrible for him because of the injuries. I think he could be a steal and I like your plan to stash him for a year while learning from Jackson. WIll be interested to see how he's coming along and where he ends up in the draft.

Walter, 2:38 PM ET
Was Fisher's comment about this year being a great year for receivers a hint toward the teams plans?

Nick Wagoner
I don't think it's necessarily a hint so much as some gamesmanship.

Brian, Ithaca, NY 2:39 PM ET
nick, i'd hate to lose Danny but if we could end up with Woods fromUSC in the 2nd round don't think we'd miss Danny much in the slot, this guy would be tough to stop in the slot if Quick and Givens continue to progress along with kendricks and another young stud TE.

Nick Wagoner
I have my questions about Woods. Always wary of USC players, especially wideouts based on what we've seen in recent years. He'd be intriguing in the second but there are some more intriguing options for the slot should Amendola walk.

Nathan Dailey, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 2:41 PM ET
What do you think the chsnces are of the Rams moving up in the draft and who is your sleeper for this draft.

Nick Wagoner
Les Snead has proved he's not afraid to make moves so I'd never rule anything out. But is there a player worth moving up to get? Not sure there is.

Reason Warehime, Fresno Ca 2:43 PM ET
Settle People, hay Nick So the Hiring of Detriots coach as D.C. It makes perfect sence if we bring in a Dick Joaron or Singletery or a Rob Ryan, these guys have a mind set of how they want to run there defense. It could slow down our production or may need twicking for some time to get more of our current roster. Fisher is a smart guy hire a young up and comer keeping our de-fense to his style This allowing for the young guy to get coached on how to get coaching. I love it, its gong to work GO RAMS!keep writting for us Nick we love you stuff just cause I dont always write in Doesnt mean im not looking forwared to afternoon breaks to catch up on Ram news!!

Nick Wagoner
I think you make a great point about adding some youthful energy to a staff full of experience. Bring Walton along and benefit from his new ideas at the same time. Good hearing from you.

Clint, Anchorage,Alaska 2:44 PM ET
Chris Rainey(RB)was waived by the Steelers after an off-the-feild issue.He seemed to be a promising 3rd down back & Kick Returner,with 60 touches his Rookie year.If they could bring him in on the cheap? Would Stl.consider someone with his skill sets?

Nick Wagoner
Good question. Might be worth kicking the tires on if the Rams can't find a different solution for their return jobs.

Walter, 2:49 PM ET
What is your read on this class' OLBs?

Nick Wagoner
It actually seems like a better group of 4-3 OLB types than recent years. Usually, those guys are hard to find. But players like Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, Alec Ogletree and Zavier Gooden all project as starting caliber 4-3 OLBs.

fred, boise 2:50 PM ET
hey Nick! if Jackson, Amendola, and Gibson were to leave how much salary cap would we save? Jacksons well past his prime (you know I'm not a Jackson lover), Amendola get hurt way too often for someone Sam depends on so much, and as far as Gibson I've never been impressed with him as a playmaker. I think most of the high priced FAs didn't preform to their payscale Wells, Mickell come to mind and I think Finnigan is overpaid. thanks Nick GO RAMS

Nick Wagoner
Well, Amendola and Gibson are unrestricted free agents so right now they aren't counted against the cap. They save $0 in terms of getting under this year's cap. If and when Jackson opts out, it will knock $7 million off this year's cap.

jj, reno nv 2:51 PM ET
Nick, sorry for your loss. With the need at Safety is there if Vaccaro is there at 16 or 22 do you see them pulling the trigger that early at the position.

Nick Wagoner
I'd say it's certainly a possibility though I don't have a strong read yet on how they feel about him.

Kevin, St.louis 2:52 PM ET
Nick , I hope everthing worked out for you last week !! who do you think our starting safteys will be this year Thanks Nick

Nick Wagoner
Mikell and a Free Safety to be named.

jj, reno nv 2:52 PM ET
Nick, who in pirticular is headed too the combine. And how in depth do the coaches get with the combine as compared to GM's and position coaches.

Nick Wagoner
The whole coaching staff and the whole scouting staff along with the medical and video staffs as well. I'll be there, we'll have two video producers and the senior director of communications as well. The coaches sit in on all the interviews and participate and they watch many of the workouts as well. FIsher, of course, also has responsibilities with the competition committee.

Luke, West Coast Rams Fan 2:54 PM ET
I've been a Rams fan for a long time and based on history good coaches are more important than good players We need them both but I will take a good coach over a good player. What do you think?

Nick Wagoner
Gotta have 'em both. Not sure you can get by with one or the other.

Fred, Jacksonville 2:54 PM ET
thanks for taking the time out to answer all these questions nick...with the addition of a safety (or two) and another linebacker...what can we expect from walton's defense this year?

Nick Wagoner
A top 10 defense.

chris goodman, indianapolis 2:55 PM ET
with the rams needing wr help, would they be interested in signing austin collie whom the colts will not resign. dwight freeney is a fa as well since he will not be resigned by colts either. one good for dfense and the other good for offense. your opinion.

Nick Wagoner
I think Freeney will get a decent contract from someone to go in and start. Even if the Rams lose Hayes and need more depth at DE, I doubt Freeney would be a fit. Maybe they'd look at Collie as a flyer but his injury history makes him a tough add.

Jordan, Edwardsville 2:56 PM ET
it looks like the vikings want to deal Harvin. should the rams give up a second round pick to get him? and if we do can we afford to sign Amendola as well?

Nick Wagoner
Won't happen. Harvin would cost way too much in terms of compensation and in a new contract.

Terrence, Philadelphia 2:57 PM ET
Nick- Appreciate the story on Sylvester Williams. Felt like a good scout bringing him up to you in my mock draft a few weeks before. I think that Mikell is going to get cut if he doesn't restructure his deal. If so i think Vaccaro and Lane Johnson in Rd 1 and Rambo in Rd 2. I believe that would make our secondary feared like the Seahawks with coverage and hitters. Kelce in Rd 3 and a SAM LB in 4th would be a great start to the draft. What do you think?

Nick Wagoner
I think Mikell returns at a reduced rate. But I think a lot of people would be thrilled with your first two picks.

MikeRams4Life, Rialto,Ca 2:58 PM ET
All the Mock drafts have the Rams taking a safety in the first round. I didnt think the need for a safety was that urgent, I like Mikel and D.Stewart, the only one I would question is Dahl although he did show flashes at times but had quite a few missed tackles. I know Dahl gets picked on by us a little, I wish the best for him.

Nick Wagoner
Stewart is a restricted free agent who may not be tendered. A free safety who can run the alley and cover is a serious need.

Walter, 3:01 PM ET
How would you order the OTs?

Nick Wagoner
Probably go Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Watson, Fluker. I'll say this, though, I think Fluker and Watson have a chance to really make a move and be thought of even better than that publicly before it's all said and done.

jj, reno nv 3:02 PM ET
Nick, is olb really a big need for us we played over 2/3 of our defense with 2 lb's on the field.

Nick Wagoner
I think that another OLB is a big need for this reason: the types of QBs in the division. With guys like Kaepernick and Wilson playing in offenses that don't spread it out as much and can run around, another athletic OLB would make sense. I think the Rams would like to find an OLB with some pass rush skills, also.

fred, boise 3:03 PM ET
hey Nick! other than an injury why do players not participate in the combine. if I were a coach that would immediately send me a red flag (and not for a replay review kind). if it were say a QB I know they want to throw to their WRs from college that they are familiar with. but still they most likely will not be throwing at them in gmae time anyway. thanks Nick! GO RAMS

Nick Wagoner
Good question. Usually it's on the advice of an agent trying to "protect" his guy. In a general sense, teams prefer guys to work out but it's rarely if ever some sort of deal breaker or even something that would send up a red flag.

fred, boise 3:05 PM ET
hey Nick! here's a non draft question for you. why doesn't the team or the NFL bring in a top notched Rugby player to show players the best way to tackle. i'm tired of watching players trying to tackle the shoulder pads or helmets or using the helmet to tackle. players and NFL for the most part are losing the art of tackling. thanks Nick GO RAMS

Nick Wagoner
Ha. An interesting question and valid point.

Blaine, PA 3:05 PM ET
Who do you think is the best player in this years draft. I also saw an article on NFL.com comaparing Sam to Geno. I didnt really agree. Your thoughts?

Nick Wagoner
Sam Bradford to Geno Smith? I haven't seen that one. Sounds like a stretch. Best player in the draft is tough. Nobody really stands out as an obvious choice. I'd probably lean to someone like Warmack, Joeckel or one of the top three DTs (Richardson, Lotulelei, Floyd). I've been high on Jarvis Jones for a long time as well but his spinal condition does raise some questions.

Kevin, St.louis 3:08 PM ET
How far does Ogletree drop?? Do the Rams take a chance?

Nick Wagoner
I think he drops a little bit but not a ton. I thought he'd be a top 10 pick before. Now, he might fall to 20. I don't think it's outrageous to think he'd be in play for the Rams if he dropped to 16 and especially 22.

jj, reno 3:09 PM ET
Nick, what is the time table for most of the players to be back in the building. And when does Sam start showing up and throwing.

Nick Wagoner
Offseason program doesn't begin until April. If Sam hasn't started throwing already, he will be soon.

Stuart, Scotland 3:09 PM ET
Nick,many fans have getting one of the top guards as a must,I like the idea of taking a OG but would taking an OT make more sense?kick Saffold inside?dude would make a superb og.just think it's an option if the top inside linemen are gone.

Nick Wagoner
To me, offensive tackle is the most glaring need on the team. You don't have a starter there right now. You have plenty of options at guard, including a guy like Watkins whom the Rams are high on. Saffold isn't going to move. But Barry RIchardson is a free agent so the need is at right tackle. Seems obvious.

Mike A, Godfrey IL 3:10 PM ET
I have always wondered how much info you are privy to from the front office? I'm sure Les and Fish aren't discussing in depth details with you but do they drop little hints here and there that you pick up or do you talk to the scouting guys to get extra details?

Nick Wagoner
If you've paid attention to what I write over the years leading up to the draft, I think you can glean some important nuggets and hints. Some things I have to keep under my hat but I do my best to at least give the readers an idea of what to keep an eye out for.

MikeRams4Life, Rialto,Ca 3:12 PM ET
Hi Nick, hope everything is well with u concerning your personal matter. This is off topic, but what do you think of J.Russells comeback attempt? I remember Faulk stating that he would help him if he was doing it for the love of the game and not the money. Then I read that Jeff Garcia is now training him. His work ethic wasnt the only thing in question, but his arm was undeniably one of the strongest ever. Your thoughts.

Nick Wagoner
Good luck to him. A major waste of a whole lot of talent at this stage.

Sal, NYC 3:12 PM ET
Put the word in front offices head that we NEED DJ Swearinger. Final piece to an incredible secondary and dominating defense.

Nick Wagoner
I just went up in the draft room and moved his name to the top of the board and used Crazy Glue to keep it there.

Robert, Riverside, Ca 3:13 PM ET
First, let me say, I don't like the Titus Young signing. It has TO written all over it. Given that, do you think the Rams have any interest in Greg Jennings? I know he was hurt last year, but still one of the top WRs, and he wants to play indoors.

Nick Wagoner
Not going to happen.

Blaine, PA 3:13 PM ET
Nick, Do you think if Eifert is available at 22 and Vacarro is off the board, do you think the Rams take him.

Nick Wagoner
I think he'd be in the mix.

Nick, St. Louis 3:13 PM ET
Hey Nick! As a knowledgeable football guy as well as a mizzou grad, would you mind giving me your read on the tigers headed to the NFL?

Nick Wagoner
I'm VERY high on Sheldon Richardson. Not just because of my bias but I think he is one of the five best players in the draft. When it's all said and done, I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the top 10. Guys with his size, athleticism and motor just don't drop into the teens. Gooden had a strong Senior Bowl and has a chance to bolster his stock a bit by having another good showing at the Combine. Hard to get a read on TJ Moe. I felt bad for him last year because he basically became invisible in the offense. He's tough, he runs good routes and he has good hands. If he runs well and works out well, I could see him going in the middle rounds but it remains to be seen how teams view him. DId I miss anyone?

Blaine, PA 3:16 PM ET
When is it expect that SJ will make his decision? Id hate to see him go especially now that the team is doing better, but i wouldnt be too hurt if went to Denver. Also when does Free agency start?

Nick Wagoner
Free agency starts on MArch 12. We'll know his decision soon. Not to play spoiler, but it seems very likely he'll opt out. We won't know his ultimate fate until after the free agency period begins most likely.

jj, reno nv 3:17 PM ET
Nick, got a suggestion. Maybe, for us die hard's that show up every week for your chats, you could have a contest and maybe a few could get invited out to the facilities or maybe back stage pass to a game or camp. Just an idea. i'll be first to be on a plane.

Nick Wagoner
Not a bad idea. I'll think of something for after the draft.

jj, reno nv 3:18 PM ET
If we are able to land OT like johnson who is projected as a Lt do you feel the Rams who move Saffold over or is he the Lt of the future.

Nick Wagoner
I don't think the Rams have any intention of moving Saffold.

Stuart, Scotland 3:18 PM ET
Nick,I got a sneaky feeling that the miners will have a big say in this draft with a Alex Smith trade,any chance they might jump straight into the top 10with that? or even higher?

Nick Wagoner
I think they'll get a decent return on Smith but nobody is giving up a first round pick for him.

Walter, 3:19 PM ET
What's your feeling on Warford? I'm a huge fan and I feel as though he is very close to Warmack and comes at a much cheaper price. He's my hope for our second round pick at this point.

Nick Wagoner
Like him. A lot. I don't think he's as far behind Warmack and Cooper as some do. And for what the Rams do, I think he makes a lot of sense. I was very impressed at the Senior Bowl. If the Rams got him in round 2, he'd be tremendous value in my opinion.

Nick, St. Louis 3:20 PM ET
My thoughts exactly. You missed a couple of guys. Kip Edwards, Elvis Fisher, and Kendial Lawrence are all at least attempting to get drafted. I think Fisher talented but is an OT version of Danario Alexander. EJ Gaines is also someone next year who looks to get a second day look.

Nick Wagoner
Yeah, I just don't see any of those guys getting drafted. Gaines looked like he was headed toward a solid draft position two years ago but a disappointing performance last year probably hurt him. If he bounces back this year, he could be a second or third round guy potentially.

Ryan Williams , 3:21 PM ET
I would love to know if there is any of the players rehabbing at the facility

Nick Wagoner
Yep. There are plenty of guys that come in and rehab or guys that come in on their own and work out. I've mentioned Watkins multiple times in these chats as a guy who is working to get in shape. I see Rodger Saffold all the time as well. Guys are always coming in and out.

Walter, 3:22 PM ET
Opt out as in leave? Or void his contract? Because I thought it was always likely that he voided it so that we could get a whole new deal in place.

Nick Wagoner
He has the option to opt out of his contract. If he does that, he becomes a free agent. He can sign anywhere he likes. The ideal scenario for the Rams would be to re-sign him at lower rate but that would depend on if he wants to do that or gets a better offer elsewhere. It's 50/50 whether he's back right now, in my opinion.

jj, reno nv 3:23 PM ET
Nick any UNR Wolfpack players from here in Reno that the Rams or others have any interest in. And yes I was a Kap fan before he became a Niner.

Nick Wagoner
Does Harvey Dahl count?

Elan, Los Angeles, CA 3:24 PM ET
Hi Nick, I'm a huge SJ fan, and respect both the player he is on the field and the man he is off of it. That being said, this question is in regard to the opt-out option for him. If SJ decides to stay within his current contract, are the rams stuck in keeping him for $7mil or can thry still resign him to a lesser deal and take some pressure off the cap space?

Nick Wagoner
Let's just say that the chances of Jackson playing out the one year on his deal and making $7 million as a Ram next year are extremely, extremely slim, almost non-existent.

Dylan, Iowa 3:26 PM ET
Nick, I honestly think it would be quite silly to use both of our first round draft picks this year. There is not really a prospect out there that catches my eye, per se. I think if Snead and Fish can get a decent deal done, whether it be a 2nd and 4th round this year, and a 1st this year, or hell I wouldn't care if it was a 1st next year, and a 2nd round this year alone, get rid of one of the picks. Do you agree? This draft doesn't seem too enticing to me at all. I also wanted to touch on DX. I know the injury issues are the reason we cut him, but that could hurt BAD. I owned him on my fantasy team and thanks to him I ended up winning $800! Haha. But honestly, if there aren't playmakers at the 16, or 22 slot, I feel we should trade down. Though I may admit, I do like that kid Cordarelle Patterson's potential. Do you think he would be worth the gamble at say.. 16, or even 22, depending on the outcome of the combine? Thanks for taking the question, Nick. DIE HARD RAMS FAN. My truck is covered in Rams decals/logo's. And another thing, what value do you see in our first round picks, due to the weak draft class? It seems as if Shanahan and co. may have outsmarted us, knowing that this years draft was a joke. (not knocking Sam in any way, I truly believe in him, and believe that I have every reason to, also).

Nick Wagoner
If there's a team wanting to move up, I absolutely think it's possible the Rams could move back and accumulate more picks. Patterson would be a slam dunk at 16 and a grand slam at 22. He won't be there. I would be shocked if he was.

Mitchell Hillyard, Imperial, MO 3:27 PM ET
Hey Nick thanks for answering my question weeks ago.My question this time is about when does Sam Bradford start training for next year? because i read an article that Colin Kaepernick is starting training in a week for next season.I was just wondering because i want Sam bradford to do the same so when next year comes around he will blow all those nay sayers away by showing why we pick him as our elite franchise QB.

Nick Wagoner
Sam has been working out of course pretty much since he left. All players do. The question for quarterbacks is when they start throwing. I'm not sure if he has yet or not but if he hasn't he will be soon, I'd think.

Randy Smith, Eugene, OR 3:28 PM ET
Hey Nick, Who do you see that using the Combine to raise their draft stock? Any first rounders that could use this opportunity to raise from around mid-round to top 10 maybe push for the number 1 pick? Thanks Nick

Nick Wagoner
I don't know about that but guys I expect to put on a show at the combine would include Sheldon Richardson, Cordarelle Patterson, Ziggy Ansah, Menelik Watson and Jonathan Cooper.

Terrence, Philadelphia 3:31 PM ET
Hey Nick. Any chance we go after Victor Cruz rather than Danny. I think the contracts would likely be in the same dollar range and with NY in worse salary cap shape than us wouldn't it make sense? Cruz is bigger, younger, stronger, faster and has no real injuries to be concerned with. Your thoughts?

Nick Wagoner
The contracts over the long term won't be anything close. Victor Cruz is going to get a high tender offer and would cost a ton in trade compensation and dollars. The Rams simply couldn't afford to sign him to that type of big dollar deal long term right now.

ryan Williams , 3:32 PM ET
Is there any sense that amendola would be back and our guard situation seems like coach fisher was unhappy with our line play do you see if Warmack is there at 16 we could take him. Do also said in that off season report is there a sense that mikkell will restructure

Nick Wagoner
Sure. I think Amendola wants to stay and the Rams would like to keep him. But the two sides could well see his value much different. If Warmack fell, I think he'd be in play. Same with Cooper but I still have my doubts the Rams draft a guard in the first round.

Randy Smith, Eugene, OR 3:37 PM ET

Hey Nick, Any chance the Rams draft Dion Jordan if available at 16? Thanks.

Nick Wagoner
I don't see the fit. Defensive end is one position the Rams seem pretty well set. If Hayes leaves, maybe you grab one in the middle rounds for depth. I expect your boy Jordan to go well before 16, anyway.

Blaine, PA 3:38 PM ET
If we dont get Danny back, I think a trade for Marc Mariani from the Titans should be considered. It wouldnt take much to get him, the guy is a pro bowl returner, and he has the makings of being a slot guy. Also he has a backgound with Fisher. What are your thoughts?

Nick Wagoner
Interesting idea. I do think that adding a returner should be a priority for this team this year.

Baine, PA 3:39 PM ET
Wow Nick its almost been 2 hours. Thanks man your the best!! Appreciate what you #Truth

Nick Wagoner
You're welcome. I appreciate all of you and your patience. And with that, I'm going to get going. I ask all of you to check stlouisrams.com frequently in the next week. I believe we have the best combine coverage you're going to find anywhere. I'll be writing blogs and feature stories with updates on Twitter regularly and we'll have two video producers churning out player interviews and we'll hear from Fisher and Snead on Friday. Talk to you all next week.

nighttrain

Legend
i think from reading what Wagoner posted, weapons for offence, except Safety early, and all other issues addressed later. but this may also be gamesmanship..just what i perceved
train

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
nighttrain said:
i think from reading what Wagoner posted, weapons for offence, except Safety early, and all other issues addressed later. but this may also be gamesmanship..just what i perceved
train
As we all know, Wagoner doesn't make the picks, so it's just his opinion, no need for smokescreens. That being said, Snead has been intimating getting weapons for Sam as being a priority, and we also know that the safety position is deep, so why not pick from value, which is why I've adjusted my mocks. The WR position is deep also, so do we pick a TE in the first round??? Do we have a 1st round grade on a RB?

One thing that I believe in, we will not reach for a player. It will be value vs need with Snead and Fisher.