Nick Foles says the Rams' offensive struggles start with him/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Foles says the Rams' offensive struggles start with him
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-says-rams-offensive-struggles-start-with-him

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Three weeks into the NFL season, the St. Louis Rams have the league's lowest-ranked offense, mustering an average of 274.3 yards per game. While coach Jeff Fisher and his group insist they're on the verge of a breakthrough, it's hard to see that level of progress from the outside.

But just like you'd expect Fisher to do what most coaches would and try to accentuate the positive, quarterback Nick Foles also remains confident in the offense while shouldering his share of the blame for the slow start.

“Oh, absolutely, I’m at the front of it," Foles said. "I’ve got to play a lot better. That’s me, big time. I’m the one who touches the ball every single play. My job is to make sure the guys are in great position. Make sure as an offense we’re in position. I have to execute better and I have to spread it around and keep pushing the guys. They push me each and every day.”

While Foles' stance is admirable from a leadership standpoint, and such comments will continue to play well in an offensive meeting room in which he is the lone captain, he's far from the biggest culprit for the team's offensive woes. That mostly starts up front, especially in the running game—or lack thereof.

But that doesn't mean that Foles is without his warts, particularly when it comes to handling the pressure that's come his way over the past couple of weeks. Against Seattle in Week 1, Foles surprised some (present company included) with his resilience and ability to hang in the pocket and deliver under duress. He did it again and again, taking big hits, getting up and going to do it again.

In the win against the Seahawks, Foles was 4 of 7 for 77 yards with a 95.5 passer rating when pressured. Those situational numbers dipped to 2 of 9 for 2 yards and a 39.6 rating against Washington in Week 2, and then climbed back up last week against the Steelers when Foles was 3 of 4 for 22 yards and an 87.5 rating.

For the season, Foles has been under pressure on 27.4 percent of his drop backs (20th amongst quarterbacks) and has a 60.6 passer rating, 45 percent completion rate and 5.05 yards per attempt, all of which rank somewhere between 15th and 18th in the league. That's middle-of-the-road production, but the Rams probably wouldn't mind a bit more consistency in that regard.

“Nick’s done a very nice job," offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said. "Once again, each week just like the other guys, he’s getting more comfortable with the system. He’s getting more repetitions within the system. He’s starting to see things better. He’s starting to play more decisive. Hey, you know, football’s like golf – it’s not perfect. There’s going to always be corrections. There’s always going to be things that you’d like to do over. The key is minimizing those mistakes.”

Foles has showed a willingness to stay in the pocket even as it collapses, avoiding the happy feet that plague other quarterbacks. His average time in the pocket of 2.29 seconds is 13th-highest among quarterbacks, and his average time before throwing a pass of 2.57 seconds is tied for eighth.

Overall, Foles' 87.5 passer rating is about what was expected when he came over from Philadelphia, ranking 14th in the NFL. And while Foles might make some mistakes by his own admission, he also hasn't been helped by a group of receivers, backs and tight ends that has combined for six drops, tied for third-most in the league.

“The three drops [against Pittsburgh] were significant," Fisher said. "That’s what we talked about last week. We had several last week. We had none in Week 1. We have to catch the ball when given the opportunity. [Tight end] Lance [Kendricks] makes that catch, it’s who knows what happens.”

Psycho_X

Legend
Foles is everything you want in a starting QB off field and between plays. I hope this offense can gel in time so that it all translates into better stats and wins before the middle of the season for him and the team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Oh, absolutely, I’m at the front of it," Bradford said. "I’ve got to play a lot better. That’s me, big time. I’m the one who touches the ball every single play. My job is to make sure the guys are in great position. Make sure as an offense we’re in position. I have to execute better and I have to spread it around and keep pushing the guys. They push me each and every day.”
;)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nick Foles says the Rams' offensive struggles start with him
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-says-rams-offensive-struggles-start-with-him

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Three weeks into the NFL season, the St. Louis Rams have the league's lowest-ranked offense, mustering an average of 274.3 yards per game. While coach Jeff Fisher and his group insist they're on the verge of a breakthrough, it's hard to see that level of progress from the outside.

But just like you'd expect Fisher to do what most coaches would and try to accentuate the positive, quarterback Nick Foles also remains confident in the offense while shouldering his share of the blame for the slow start.

“Oh, absolutely, I’m at the front of it," Foles said. "I’ve got to play a lot better. That’s me, big time. I’m the one who touches the ball every single play. My job is to make sure the guys are in great position. Make sure as an offense we’re in position. I have to execute better and I have to spread it around and keep pushing the guys. They push me each and every day.”

While Foles' stance is admirable from a leadership standpoint, and such comments will continue to play well in an offensive meeting room in which he is the lone captain, he's far from the biggest culprit for the team's offensive woes. That mostly starts up front, especially in the running game—or lack thereof.

But that doesn't mean that Foles is without his warts, particularly when it comes to handling the pressure that's come his way over the past couple of weeks. Against Seattle in Week 1, Foles surprised some (present company included) with his resilience and ability to hang in the pocket and deliver under duress. He did it again and again, taking big hits, getting up and going to do it again.

In the win against the Seahawks, Foles was 4 of 7 for 77 yards with a 95.5 passer rating when pressured. Those situational numbers dipped to 2 of 9 for 2 yards and a 39.6 rating against Washington in Week 2, and then climbed back up last week against the Steelers when Foles was 3 of 4 for 22 yards and an 87.5 rating.

For the season, Foles has been under pressure on 27.4 percent of his drop backs (20th amongst quarterbacks) and has a 60.6 passer rating, 45 percent completion rate and 5.05 yards per attempt, all of which rank somewhere between 15th and 18th in the league. That's middle-of-the-road production, but the Rams probably wouldn't mind a bit more consistency in that regard.

“Nick’s done a very nice job," offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said. "Once again, each week just like the other guys, he’s getting more comfortable with the system. He’s getting more repetitions within the system. He’s starting to see things better. He’s starting to play more decisive. Hey, you know, football’s like golf – it’s not perfect. There’s going to always be corrections. There’s always going to be things that you’d like to do over. The key is minimizing those mistakes.”

Foles has showed a willingness to stay in the pocket even as it collapses, avoiding the happy feet that plague other quarterbacks. His average time in the pocket of 2.29 seconds is 13th-highest among quarterbacks, and his average time before throwing a pass of 2.57 seconds is tied for eighth.

Overall, Foles' 87.5 passer rating is about what was expected when he came over from Philadelphia, ranking 14th in the NFL. And while Foles might make some mistakes by his own admission, he also hasn't been helped by a group of receivers, backs and tight ends that has combined for six drops, tied for third-most in the league.

“The three drops [against Pittsburgh] were significant," Fisher said. "That’s what we talked about last week. We had several last week. We had none in Week 1. We have to catch the ball when given the opportunity. [Tight end] Lance [Kendricks] makes that catch, it’s who knows what happens.”
Guess he didn't count the defensive drops.

5c81f36c50e00ba2ed3497dc10595f93.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Beware of the Naked Man who offers you his shirt off his back! The offensive line has hindered Foles & the Rams in more ways than one and it doesn't help that their OL coach has health issues too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Foles is everything you want in a starting QB off field and between plays. I hope this offense can gel in time so that it all translates into better stats and wins before the middle of the season for him and the team.

I am quoting a lot of Pat Kirwin tonight...

Yesterday he was sharing a conversation with Joe Theisman in which Joe believes a QB doesn't really peak until year 4-5.

Basically due to the learning curve, certain comforts on the field during game action, etc.

In this scenario, we are getting Foles at the right time. He's on the back end of the learning curve... But he's still learning.

I like Foles. I have a lot of confidence he will develop for us.

A55VA6

Legend
Hard not to like Foles regardless of his play on the field. Just a good dude. Sure hope this offense can turn things around. We'll win alot of games if we could at least put a TD or 2 on the board.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Man I hope you are right. I could use an NFL pickmeup. This team has me a bit down on them and it is too early in the year for that.

Yeah, I know some people are saying its too early to write them off. And they may be right. But we've seen this show for too long. It gets hard to stay positive when there hasn't been improvement the past 4 years. I guess we could say its a lot better than the previous 5 seasons before Fisher got here. But that only gets you so far. Sooner or later you want more than 7 wins.

FRO

Legend
While I appreciate Foles taking responsibility, the fault lays squarely on the offensive line and the receivers. No run lanes, crappy routes, and dropped passes. Not many QBs will be killing it with this talent on offense.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
While I appreciate Foles taking responsibility, the fault lays squarely on the offensive line and the receivers. No run lanes, crappy routes, and dropped passes. Not many QBs will be killing it with this talent on offense.
I hear ya, and there is plenty of blame to pass around...BUT...Foles is the captain of this offense and is taking the heat for his team the way you want him to. When things spin 180* and the Rams start hitting on all cylinders, Nick will be deflecting all of the praise onto the same OL and WRs that he is taking up for now. That is my Thirsty Thursday prognostication anyway. Cheers!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Beware of the Naked Man who offers you his shirt off his back! The offensive line has hindered Foles & the Rams in more ways than one and it doesn't help that their OL coach has health issues too.
I missed this... something's wrong with Boudreau?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
their OL coach has health issues too.
what's this all about den-da-coach? Coach Boo's sick?

Foles takes the blame he deserves, IMO. He's been very shaky.
I haven't seen the all 22 on some most plays...But I get a feeling this is so spot on Memphis...dude hasn't been accurate and probably isn't seeing the field...The drops are probably really killers...if you miss a bunch of throws, and have receivers dropping the ball.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know, I think Foles has been a breath of fresh air because I know he's going to be playing next week.

This is only is 4th game in a new system, I think I'd wait a little before I start blaming.

Every game we played this year we had a chance to win at the end and I'm feel good about him taking us down the field and winning it for us.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[QUOTE="LACHAMP46, post: 636453, member: 876"

Damn, good to know. I'ma pray for Boo....[/QUOTE]

That's awesome man, me too!(y)...Showing my age there, that's awesome bra, me too!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He needs to knock off that falling off his back foot crap. He naturally likes to fade backwards it looks like. I hope he can improve and just stand tall or climb the ladder up in the pocket. His pocket awareness looks bad from under center. It looks average from the gun. A running game would do him wonders though so I can't put it all on him when there's 50 yards rushing a game. I like his attitude and approach a lot though.