NFL’s official Twitter account hacked: No, Goodell has not passed away

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Gives me yet one more opportunity to use my favorite Goodell gif. :)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...us-statement-on-goodell-dying-nfl-on-twitter/

Hacker posts bogus statement on Goodell dying @NFL on Twitter
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 7, 2016

giphy.gif

The NFL’s official Twitter account was hacked today with a bogus statement that Commissioner Roger Goodell had died.

The fake tweet said, “We regret to inform our fans that our commissioner, Roger Goodell, has passed away. He was 57. #RIP.”

The NFL quickly confirmed that Goodell is alive and well and that the league’s Twitter account was hacked. A spokesman told PFT that the league is currently looking into the matter.

Although the NFL deleted the bogus tweet, it didn’t stop the hacker from posting a second tweet reading, “Oi, I said Roger Goodell has died. Don’t delete that tweet.” That was followed by a third tweet saying, “OK, OK, you amateur detectives win. Good job.”

Thousands of people retweeted the hacker’s tweets, but it doesn’t appear that many people actually fell for the fake news. A tweet isn’t the way the NFL would make such an announcement, nor would it simply come suddenly and from one source.

Now @NFL needs to change its password.