NFL’s Best Running Quarterback? The Answer May Surprise You

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
running-quarterbacks.jpg

Clockwise: Wesley Hitt/Getty Images; Zach Bolinger/Icon SMI; Jim Dedmon/Icon SMI; Jeff Lewis/Icon SMI; Norm Hall/Getty Images

NFL’s Best Running Quarterback? The Answer May Surprise You
Athletic QBs add a new dimension to offenses, but often the decision to scramble comes at the expense of the passing game. Hours of film study show how Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III rate as decision-makers—and difference-makers—with their legs
By Andy Benoit

Two weeks ago I spent some time at NFL Films, a mecca for any football nerd. They have an incredible system for all their footage and audio, called Saber. Using Saber you can, among other things, view and sort All-22 coaches film by almost any factor imaginable. Want to see every Peyton Manning pass on 2nd-and-8 since 2005? You can! How about every Patrick Willis third-quarter tackle? Of course! Or every incompletion targeted for Darrius Heyward-Bey? You bet! (If you have a month to spend, anyway.)

I took the opportunity to break down every run by Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck from the 2013 regular season. Each player, save for Luck, had about 100 rushing attempts. After watching them all in a row, you start to notice patterns. I charted those patterns, focusing on (a) how successful each player’s scrambles and designed runs were, and (b) whether the scrambles stemmed from good or bad decisions.

So often, running quarterbacks run because they can’t recognize where to throw. I’m not talking about receivers being covered or the defense befuddling a passer; I’m talking about a QB dropping back and failing to execute within the structure of a well-designed play. Sacks often stem from this, too, which is why I also charted them in a separate study.

Football is not baseball; no statistical formula can portray exactly what is happening on the field. I would have loved to include incomplete passes in my study because, like scrambles and sacks, they often stem from undeveloped decision-making and unrefined fundamentals. Unfortunately, with only five days available at NFL Films, and only 12 hours available in each of those days, there was not enough time to view every incompletion.

Nevertheless, the running plays and sacks revealed plenty. The conclusions: Newton, Wilson and Kaepernick are insanely talented athletes, Griffin was not himself last year and Luck is a comparable athlete to all of them and an overwhelmingly better quarterback.

Here are the specifics…

Sacks

Player...........................Sacks Taken...............................QB at Fault
Andrew Luck......................36..................................................0
Cam Newton..................... 47..................................................9
Colin Kaepernick.................37..................................................8
Robert Griffin III.................38.................................................10
Russell Wilson.....................48.................................................15

That’s right: Luck was not the primary culpable offender for a single sack he took. The extremity of that statistic—ZERO!—is surprising, but the gist of it is not. Quarterbacks who keep their eyes downfield and move in the pocket with near-perfect mechanics don’t create their own sacks.

A note on Wilson: All but one of the sacks that were a blocker’s fault came against a simple four-man rush.

Also worth noting: Some of the “protection concept” sacks—and, to a lesser degree, some of the coverage sacks—could be on the quarterback, depending on what his play-calling and protection-setting responsibilities are. But without being in the team meetings, we have no way of knowing that.

Scrambling

A “correct decision” scramble was any scramble caused by pressure or no receivers getting open. An “incorrect decision” scramble was when the quarterback blatantly abandoned a play design that worked. A “successful” scramble was something like, say, a first-down run that gained four-plus yards, or a third-down run that moved the chains.

Just as with sacks, Luck graded out the best.

Some other highlights:

• Newton moved the chains 17 times by scrambling on third down (21 attempts). And he was 8-for-8 on QB sneaks.

• Wilson was 4-for-15 moving the chains when scrambling on third down, and just 1-for-6 on QB sneaks.

• 18 of Wilson’s “rushing attempts” for the season were QB kneel-downs. Take those out and his yards per run goes from 5.6 to 7.1.

• Also, 18 of Luck’s “rushing attempts” were kneel-downs. Take those out and his yards per run goes from 6.0 to 8.8. (Luck, however, attempted just 45 runs to Wilson’s 78.)

• Of Newton’s 16 “incorrect decision” scrambles, 13 still produced a successful outcome. In fact, several of his longest runs on the year came off incorrect decisions.

• Kaepernick was clearly the most dangerous scrambler in terms of speed and agility, though only 9 of his 22 third-down scrambles were successful.

• Griffin had the worst scrambling numbers, but he had (by a narrow margin) the best success rate on designed runs.
Designed Runs

Here’s the breakdown on success of designed runs:

Player.................................Designed Runs...................................Successful
Griffin...........................................42....................................................25
Newton.........................................59....................................................33
Wilson...........................................27....................................................14
Kaepernick....................................37.....................................................19
Luck..............................................2.......................................................0

Unquantifiable things that stood out:

• Newton is clearly a half-field reader. He also did not slide at all, though he managed to avoid any big hits. He gives himself up in the name of safety; his style is just to fall forward and essentially tackle himself.
    • Wilson is another half-field reader, though his scrambles are, by indirect design, a major facet of Seattle’s offense. Seahawks coaches seem to instruct Wilson to run early in the down if that’s what he’s comfortable with. That changed the definition of some of his correct/incorrect scrambles.
    • Kaepernick does not read the defense before the snap. You can tell because he shows no understanding of this basic quarterbacking concept: When one receiver is covered, it often means another receiver is not. There’s no awareness of route combinations.
    • Griffin takes far too many punishing hits, especially at the end of runs in mildly critical situations (like, say, a 3rd-and-6 early in the first half). He’s been taught to protect himself, but the execution is not natural.
    • Luck was impressive even on a lot of negative plays. He always tried to keep plays alive, running extremely late in the down and rarely compromising his physical readiness to throw.
The takeaway: About one out of four times, a young running quarterback will make a poor decision to scramble or do something to get himself sacked. That is, unless he’s Andrew Luck, who is basically a 10-year veteran in his approach to running with the ball (and treated as such; notice the Colts did not jeopardize his safety with designed run calls).

In terms of efficiency, which is crucial to quarterbacking, Luck was clearly the best of this bunch—and that’s just in the running department. Based on what his decision-making revealed in this instance, my guess is he’d be even further ahead of Griffin, Kaepernick, Newton and Wilson if we conducted a passing-game analysis. Right now, these running quarterbacks are dominant athletes—which can be enough if they have a strong supporting cast. But with a 15-percentage-point jump in their decision-making proficiency, they’d become dominant quarterbacks.

More graphs at the link.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Here's what I derived from this article:

Wilson and Kappy suck and we are going to sack the shit out of them!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
"Two weeks ago I spent some time at NFL Films, a mecca for any football nerd. They have an incredible system for all their footage and audio, called Saber. Using Saber you can, among other things, view and sort All-22 coaches film by almost any factor imaginable. Want to see every Peyton Manning pass on 2nd-and-8 since 2005? You can! How about every Patrick Willis third-quarter tackle? Of course! Or every incompletion targeted for Darrius Heyward-Bey? You bet! (If you have a month to spend, anyway.)"

It would be incredibly awesome if that system was ever available for public use online.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kaepernick does not read the defense before the snap. You can tell because he shows no understanding of this basic quarterbacking concept: When one receiver is covered, it often means another receiver is not. There’s no awareness of route combinations.

Yep. This is the exact thing I've been saying about the guy since 2012. He's a see it throw it QB. Doesn't anticipate routes. Doesn't read the defense well. Almost always late on his throws. He has such a strong arm and is such a talented runner that he can get away with it. But it's why I think he'll never be more than an average QB. Doesn't mentally process things quickly enough.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Football is not baseball; no statistical formula can portray exactly what is happening on the field.
This guy is ripping off my stuff. :cool:

Athos

Legend
Here's what I derived from this article:

Wilson and Kappy suck and we are going to sack the crap out of them!

Well, they suck against us. Wilson in particular. If we ever had a halfway decent offense playing the Hags, Wilson would hardly see the field, and when he would, he'd get sacked all over the place like he usually does against the Rams.

And Donald I think helps us the most against Kaeperprick. Honestly, if CK was HALF the runner he was, he'd be out of football.

His actual QB skills are pathetic. Or rather, QB intelligence.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"Two weeks ago I spent some time at NFL Films, a mecca for any football nerd. They have an incredible system for all their footage and audio, called Saber. Using Saber you can, among other things, view and sort All-22 coaches film by almost any factor imaginable. Want to see every Peyton Manning pass on 2nd-and-8 since 2005? You can! How about every Patrick Willis third-quarter tackle? Of course! Or every incompletion targeted for Darrius Heyward-Bey? You bet! (If you have a month to spend, anyway.)"

It would be incredibly awesome if that system was ever available for public use online.
It would be marketing genius to allow the public to view these tapes and then provide input to the coaches for game planning. We really would end up with one fan base against another fan base on Sundays.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'd be curious where the other QBs stand on this graph. He only evaluated the 5. I'd wager that Peyton Manning also has no sacks which are his fault.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yes I'm surprised, but FWIW the metrics they use don't really sway my opinion, to me the "best running QB" is the guy you devise an offense around him running and if I was gonna do that I'd pick Colin Kaepernick,more durable than RG but moves as good,Newton would be my second choice ,I'd never devise an offense for Luck to be a runner,it'd be making a sows ear out of a silk purse,why do it?
Wilson,just not big enough to make a living that way,sure he's effective when he does,but if you devise 12 runs a game for him, he wouldn't last the seasons IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd be curious where the other QBs stand on this graph. He only evaluated the 5. I'd wager that Peyton Manning also has no sacks which are his fault.

As I read this I was wondering how Bradford stacked up in several categories and I guess we'll never know unless someone in the STL media decides to put in the work to find out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The other QBs first have to pass the non-subjective litmus test.

A “correct decision” scramble was any scramble caused by pressure or no receivers getting open. An “incorrect decision” scramble was when the quarterback blatantly abandoned a play design that worked. A “successful” scramble was something like, say, a first-down run that gained four-plus yards, or a third-down run that moved the chains.

What QB abandons a play that works? The only time I see a QB scramble is when (a) the receivers aren't open, or (b) there's pressure. Plus, it could be a designed run without the author even knowing it. Even Bradford was told by Schottenheimer to run whenever he sees a big opening. And what if the QB does run, and only picks up 3 yards, but it gained a first down?

Yeah, I don't know about the criteria used there...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The other QBs first have to pass the non-subjective litmus test.

What QB abandons a play that works? The only time I see a QB scramble is when (a) the receivers aren't open, or (b) there's pressure. Plus, it could be a designed run without the author even knowing it. Even Bradford was told by Schottenheimer to run whenever he sees a big opening. And what if the QB does run, and only picks up 3 yards, but it gained a first down?

Yeah, I don't know about the criteria used there...

For sure it isn't perfect. And a couple of things stood out to me, one being the rigidity of his "good" and "bad". Here are two examples:

• Of Newton’s 16 “incorrect decision” scrambles, 13 still produced a successful outcome. In fact, several of his longest runs on the year came off incorrect decisions.
  • Kaepernick was clearly the most dangerous scrambler in terms of speed and agility, though only 9 of his 22 third-down scrambles were successful.

Maybe the incorrect decisions were made by Newton because he saw a huge hole and knew he could gain some yardage. Wouldn't that make them the correct decision?

If Kaepernick is the most dangerous scrambler because of his speed and agility why is he having so little success doing it? Is he "spied" more often than the other QB's?

Now regarding your query "What QB abandons a play that works?" he laid that answer out already. One read and run, not knowing the routes. That leads guys to miss an open WR because they are pulling it down and running. This doesn't bode well for those teams. If CK can't read defenses he is going to be unsuccessful which is good news for us.

nighttrain

Legend
liked extremely the part about Wilson, Kaep, and RGIII being half field QB's, it's what i've seen
train

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It would be marketing genius to allow the public to view these tapes and then provide input to the coaches for game planning. We really would end up with one fan base against another fan base on Sundays.
I don't know if any coach would even look at it... there'd be too much noise among the signal.

Imagine if Snead polled the Internet to determine his decisions as GM. Every guy on this team would be cut or traded with the possible exceptions of Quinn and Hekker.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Now regarding your query "What QB abandons a play that works?" he laid that answer out already. One read and run, not knowing the routes. That leads guys to miss an open WR because they are pulling it down and running. This doesn't bode well for those teams. If CK can't read defenses he is going to be unsuccessful which is good news for us.
That's what I'm talking about though. Guys like CK and Wilson were instructed to do that. Half-field reads. That's not luck's instruction.
I don't know. It's not a big deal, but the whole thing just seemed like it was geared to prop up Luck from the beginning.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's what I'm talking about though. Guys like CK and Wilson were instructed to do that. Half-field reads. That's not luck's instruction.
I don't know. It's not a big deal, but the whole thing just seemed like it was geared to prop up Luck from the beginning.

That may well be.......it's poorly constructed enough that its hard to know LOL.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't know if any coach would even look at it... there'd be too much noise among the signal.

Imagine if Snead polled the Internet to determine his decisions as GM. Every guy on this team would be cut or traded with the possible exceptions of Quinn and Hekker.
we have methods for filtering. it could be done in such a way as to be incredibly helpful. and wow, it certainly would be fun to pit one team's film study network of fans against another's :)

in this scenario, teams truly become social networks of fanbases, where the fan are involved in a whole other level

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Sure there was a lot of truth in his observation, but it really did seem like he was looking to prop up Luck and put down Wilson.

I don't know where it fits into his stats, but it seems to me that Seattle calls a lot of designed play action roll outs.