NFLPA Rams Report Card 25/32

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams facilities given a D+ grade in NFLPA survey

In a recent NFLPA survey, the Rams facilities were given a D+ grade by the players
usa_today_18949490.0.jpg

By BlaineGrisak@bgrisakDTR Mar 1, 2023, 3:00pm

The Los Angeles Rams have one of the worst training and weight room facilities in the NFL according to a survey of players conducted by the NFL Players Association. The NFLPA survey examined eight facets of teams’ operations and facilities: treatment of players’ families, food services and nutrition, weight rooms, strength and conditioning coaching, athletic training rooms, athletic training staffs, locker rooms and travel.

NFLPA President JC Tretter said in a statement,

“One of our core jobs as a union is to improve the overall working conditions for our players. Often, you see our advocacy on “big” issues — like our push for better field surfaces at stadiums or standardized safety protocols that limit the risk of workplace injuries — but it also includes the daily experience of players at the team facilities away from the lights and cameras.”
When it came to the facilities and training room, the Rams were one of seven teams to receive a D grade or lower. In the Rams report card, the NFLPA states,

“They are currently operating from a “temporary” practice facility; however, they have not even broken ground at their “permanent” practice facility, so players expect to be working out of the current building for the foreseeable future. Players do not feel that the “temporary” facility was built to support professional athletes, and unsurprisingly, in the opinions of player respondents, it leaves a lot to be desired.”
Currently, the Rams are operating out of Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks during the week for practices. As a lower-level collegiate facility, it makes sense that a group of professional athletes don’t feel that this is up to NFL standard.

The Rams have been in Los Angeles for six seasons and have not made a lot of headway in this area.

There has been some progress made, but nothing is official or set in stone. Last February, there was speculation that the Rams could build a practice facility in Woodland Hills. Rams owner Stan Kroenke purchased the outdoor shopping mall in Woodland Hills in January for $325M. However, it is still unclear whether or not this area would eventually be developed into the Rams practice facility.

Meanwhile, the Chargers practice facility in El Segundo is set to open in 2024 that was purchased for $270M. As it stands, the Los Angeles Chargers were given a F- grade for their current weight room set up.

It’s pretty clear that players from both Los Angeles franchises have not been pleased with the current operations.

While there was negative feedback from the players on the training facilities, the Rams’ report wasn’t completely negative. According to the Rams report card,

“The negative feedback on the facility is somewhat offset by positive feedback about the staff. The current coach, Sean McVay, supports his players as well as any other coach in the NFL. The players also think very highly of both their training staff and their strength coaches, and 95% of players feel like club owner Stan Kroenke is willing to spend money to upgrade the facilities, ranking 13th overall. The hope is that willingness to invest translates into a new building to support the players soon.”
Players seem to enjoy the Rams coaches and training staff which plays a large role in the teams’ culture. The Rams were one of eight teams to give their training staff an A+ grade. They also received an A+ grade for their strength coaches.

Rams NFLPA Report Card
Rams NFLPA Report Card
In the other categories, the Rams received a D+ for their treatment of players’ families, D in food service/nutrition, C for their weight room, D for their Locker Room, and B- in team travel.

There’s no doubt that the Rams have one of the best stadiums in the NFL. However, there is still room for improvement in other areas.

The goal of this survey conducted by the NFLPA is to highlight the positive things that teams are doing, identify clubs that need improvement, and highlight best practices and standards.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Curious how the locker room is such shit in that state of the art stadium. I've seen the pics of it and wouldn't give it a D. The one that I don't like most though is family treatment that's unacceptable.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Curious how the locker room is such shit in that state of the art stadium. I've seen the pics of it and wouldn't give it a D. The one that I don't like most though is family treatment that's unacceptable.

The only thing I could think of is maybe that’s including the practice locker room too?

Ram65

Legend
hey surveyed players and input on each team's training and fitness. Rams are 25th b/c of the temp training facility.

It's not Sofi its the training facility at Cal Lutheran.

A new one coming to The Valley.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not Sofi its the training facility at Cal Lutheran.

A new one coming to The Valley.
That's not a locker room that's a training facility and this is voted on by opposing players too so they wouldn't ever be there. The locker room is about SoFi.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Interesting that they would conduct these surveys AND make the results public. Bound to raise some eyebrows.

My interpretation of the low "locker room" grade was due to the temp facility, not the SoFi locker room.

Weird about the "poor communication" with families, I wonder what that's about.

Sounds like the Rams ranking will go way up after they get a permanent training facility.

Ram65

Legend
That's not a locker room that's a training facility and this is voted on by opposing players too so they wouldn't ever be there. The locker room is about SoFi.

Quote from the article:

Overview​

The Los Angeles Rams are ranked as the 25th best team in the league. They are currently operating from a “temporary” practice facility; however, they have not even broken ground at their “permanent” practice facility, so players expect to be working out of the current building for the foreseeable future. Players do not feel that the “temporary” facility was built to support professional athletes, and unsurprisingly, in the opinions of player respondents, it leaves a lot to be desired.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The "treatment of families" might also relate to security measures and Covid measures. Maybe players don't like that their cousin from out of town shows up to the facility and are not given the keys to the city. I don't know.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quote from the article:

Overview​

The Los Angeles Rams are ranked as the 25th best team in the league. They are currently operating from a “temporary” practice facility; however, they have not even broken ground at their “permanent” practice facility, so players expect to be working out of the current building for the foreseeable future. Players do not feel that the “temporary” facility was built to support professional athletes, and unsurprisingly, in the opinions of player respondents, it leaves a lot to be desired.
This.

I am sure SoFi gets high ratings, but the Rams haven’t built their new practice facility yet. They now own the land. Construction projects in California take a while to get off the ground.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This.

I am sure SoFi gets high ratings, but the Rams haven’t built their new practice facility yet. They now own the land. Construction projects in California take a while to get off the ground.

it takes a long time to haggle over the kickbacks?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I suspect Stan will build a training facility that will vault the Rams to the top of this list.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t know how I feel about all this stuff leaking out… It feels like mud slinging when brought out into the public like this.

Players say Chiefs discourage them from reporting injuries, have NFL’s worst training staff

“They feel discouraged from reporting their injuries,” the NFLPA says of players on the Chiefs. “They do not feel they get the level of personal care that they should. They fear retribution for speaking up for better care.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A bad grade for Treatment of the families is one that I didn’t expect.

Nutrition is another.

Without explanations from the players, some of these are meaningless. How does an organization identify the problem with no feedback?