NFL wants Bruno Mars for SB halftime show again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-wants-bruno-mars-for-sb-halftime-show-again/

Report: NFL wants Bruno Mars for SB halftime show again
Posted by Josh Alper on September 9, 2015

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV8p4fCOzhw

It’s difficult to win two Super Bowls in three years and it’s been even harder to rack up multiple appearances in the Super Bowl halftime show, but Bruno Mars may pull it off in Santa Clara next year.

Entertainment Weekly reports that the NFL has asked Mars to bring his “Uptown Funk” to the mid-game extravaganza two years after he did the honors at MetLife Stadium during the game between the Broncos and the Seahawks. Billboard adds that Mars is also being asked to “curate” the show, presumably so that the lineup will include the gathering of stars that has become a usual part of the festivities in recent years. When Mars was involved in 2014, the Red Hot Chili Peppers joined him on stage.

Mars wouldn’t be the first artist to appear at multiple Super Bowls. Gloria Estefan and Nelly have both made two appearances in halftime shows, but neither of them were featured in as short a span of time.

While those of us with longer memories might prefer a second showing for Prince if we aren’t going to get something we haven’t seen before, Mars put on a pretty good show in Jersey and “curating” the show with a nod to past Super Bowl halftimes in honor of the 50th anniversary of the game could wind up working out well.

iced

haha I knew the NFL would want him to perform "Uptown Funk" in some capacity - wouldn't be surprised if they brought in Taylor swift and other award winners/nominee's

rdw

Pro Bowler
How about they run ads through the entire halftime and donate the money to breast cancer research and call it a day.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I actually like Uptown Funk and Bruno Mars, so this might be a halftime show I can actually watch instead of hastily turn down and go back to my computer.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
How about they run ads through the entire halftime and donate the money to breast cancer research and call it a day.
I thought about it, and that's a bit ironic from my perspective.

I mean, I don't watch half time anything. Heck, even when it's a band I may have liked years ago and might be remotely interested in, they're wheezing and barely getting through it. So I never pay attention anymore, and in fact distance myself from the noise generated from the TV set. It's kind of a ritual.

However my wife is glued to that stuff, and I always suspected that the half time show kind of evolved into something to specifically draw in female audiences for the commercials. I don't think she'd watch it if it were all commercials, though I may tune in if they're funny.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I thought about it, and that's a bit ironic from my perspective.

I mean, I don't watch half time anything. Heck, even when it's a band I may have liked years ago and might be remotely interested in, they're wheezing and barely getting through it. So I never pay attention anymore, and in fact distance myself from the noise generated from the TV set. It's kind of a ritual.

However my wife is glued to that stuff, and I always suspected that the half time show kind of evolved into something to specifically draw in female audiences for the commercials. I don't think she'd watch it if it were all commercials, though I may tune in if they're funny.

I seem to hear from people all the time, "I didn't care about or watch the game but I loved/hated commercials!"

Using my very "unscientific-back-of-the-napkin-calculations" and citing the first sources found via Google:

Halftime = 30 minutes
Advertising = 8 million per minute
That's 240 million generated for donation.

Also according to my google search $500 million is donated to breast cancer research per year. Donating that would bump it up quite a bit. I wonder how much the NFL generates for research during their pink ribbon month?

I doubt my numbers are correct, I'm just spit balling for entertainment purposes!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
He won't look as good as Katy Perry in a minidress and will he have a drunk dancing shark? I don't think so....

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Every minute of listening to Bruno Mars reduces a man's testosterone by 25%. I think this is a conspiracy.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I seem to hear from people all the time, "I didn't care about or watch the game but I loved/hated commercials!"

Using my very "unscientific-back-of-the-napkin-calculations" and citing the first sources found via Google:

Halftime = 30 minutes
Advertising = 8 million per minute
That's 240 million generated for donation.
Heck, to a lot of people, it's just a party, not about the game or half time show. But I do maintain that they're reaching out to women with the half time show, hence the irony.

It doesn't matter anyway, as I suspect you already know they'll never give up the revenue generated from half time commercials, which I suspect earn more money than the game time commercials.

I thought the "musicians" were encourage to bid on the half time show anyway? Their greed knows no bounds, and it honestly just waters down the super bowl for me.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I wish they would just stop with the long half times for the super bowl. Doubt it'll ever happen though.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The half time "show" is a time for me to get anything done that is needed but not reasonably doable during the game...I can't remember the last time I actually watched it...I might also fill or refill a food or beverage item(s) that I don't want to miss any of the game for...(Most commercials, no matter how good, are also used for this purpose)...

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I wish they would just stop with the long half times for the super bowl. Doubt it'll ever happen though.

What could be more masculine than musical performances choreographed with dancers in glittery costumes?

Goodell really has a wallet-boner for the babysitting dollar...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Would be more profitable if Kanye or Taylor did the halftime show.

Athos

Legend
Better than that country pop drivel of Swift. She may be hit but her music genre is the worst thing to happen to pop culture in America.

SierraRam

Recreational User
What if he has to play in the game? Nah - shouldn't be an issue...
images
images