NFL to expand playoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I stumbled upon this today and thought...

SOMEBODY KILL GOODELL BEFORE HE SCREWS UP THE GOLDEN GOOSE!

This ain't hockey!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... l/1765357/

10:03PM EST December 12. 2012 - Do we want to see .500 teams (or worse) regularly granted entrance into the NFL playoffs?

Commissioner Roger Goodell revealed Wednesday that the league's competition committee will explore expanding the postseason field, and that could mean a heaping helping of mediocrity on wild-card weekend.

"We'll look at probably 14 or 16 teams," he said.

Assuming that means adhering to the familiar conference structure, the New York Jets (6-7) would currently qualify for the Super Bowl tournament if the field was increased from 12 to 16 participants.

If the idea was applied to the 2011 season, three additional 8-8 teams would have made the cut (the 8-8 Denver Broncos won the AFC West last year).

Conversely, in other years, adding playoff berths would ensure stronger teams get a shot at the Lombardi Trophy in seasons where the chips fall oddly. Minus Tom Brady in 2008, the New England Patriots went 11-5 but were left to make January tee times. Rewind to 2010 when the Seattle Seahawks became the first division winner with a losing record (7-9); they moved on in January while the New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers stayed home with 10-6 marks, though this tends to be an exception to the rule.

The NFL shifted to the eight-division format in 2002 when the Houston Texans joined the league. Here are breakdowns of how the playoffs would have been affected over the past 10 seasons:

Additional teams that would have qualified under a 14-team field

one 11-win team
four 10-win teams
eleven 9-win teams
four 8-win teams
Additional teams that would have qualified under a 16-team field

one 10-win team
seven 9-win teams
ten 8-win teams
two 7-win teams

At the end of the day, it seems like needless tinkering which is likely motivated by the desire to create additional revenue.

Based purely from a competitive vantage point, it seems unnecessary. The present system ensures that at least the three best teams from each conference get an opportunity to advance while rewarding the top clubs with first-round byes. Having 37.5% of the league qualify also feels like an appropriately exclusive figure; among the four major sports, only Major League Baseball has a tougher regular-season gauntlet (33% of its teams reach postseason) than the NFL even after baseball expanded its wild-card format last season. The NBA and NHL format permits 16 of 30 teams to advance beyond the regular season.

Provided the NFL doesn't expand beyond 32 teams — and disregarding the almighty dollar as impetus for change — this proposal seems best filed in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" folder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Screw it. Let's just do a coaches poll to determine the playoff seeding. :roll:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let's add 16 games to the regular season, play 8 man, and have every team but the bottom 6 make it in. That way we can just watch a few highlights until the playoffs get here and the games REALLY count. :bummed:

The more I hear that comes out of RG's pie hole, the more I want him to go on a long walk off a short pier. Either that or someone please punch him in the dick.

superfan24

Starter
RamFan503 said:
Let's add 16 games to the regular season, play 8 man, and have every team but the bottom 6 make it in. That way we can just watch a few highlights until the playoffs get here and the games REALLY count. :bummed:

The more I hear that comes out of RG's pie hole, the more I want him to go on a long walk off a short pier. Either that or someone please punch him in the dick.

I think USERNAME can do that and we will all be satisfied.
Hate this idea along with the 18 game schedule and an expansion team in london.