NFL Should Hold 2020 Coronavirus Season In Two California Bubbles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
NFL Should Hold 2020 Coronavirus Season In Two California Bubbles

The Shield released a preliminary coronavirus testing plan for its 32 training camps, with a monumental testing task for the expected 80-man camp rosters and a still large effort to test 53-man teams in the fall. And that total doesn’t include team and league staff and media.

Meanwhile, as we’ve seen with the NBA and MLS, bubbles work! It took a while for the two leagues playing down at Disney World in Orlando to isolate the teams from the players and staff who tested positive for COVID-19 but it worked. Neither league has had a positive test in over a week. That bodes well for the NHL, which plans on holding two bubbles outside the U.S.

Right now the NFL is looking at MLB to see if a season played outside a bubble can work. But it doesn’t have to be that way, NFL! It’s not too late to formulate a bubble plan and play out a season safely.

The NFL, of course, is not on board with a bubble at all.

View: https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1273329566799577088?s=21

Is this an ideal plan that I’m proposing? Absolutely not. But nothing is ideal as the country passes four million confirmed cases. But having the NFC play its season out in a bubble in the Los Angeles area and having the AFC play its season out in a bubble in the Bay Area eliminates the travel, the flights, the hotels and situations which teams have less control over. Sure, you lose interconference matchups, but you make it much less likely that the virus is contracted if teams are isolated in one geographic area.

In Los Angeles, games will be played at SoFi Stadium— the new home of the Rams and Chargers— (the Rams play all their games at home), the L.A. Coliseum, the Rose Bowl and Dignity Health Sports Park, where the Bolts played since they moved from San Diego. The Super Bowl would be played at SoFi.

In the Bay Area, games will be played at Levi’s Stadium, the Oakland Coliseum (the Raiders ironically get their old home back), Stanford Stadium and California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley. The AFC title game would be played at Levi’s.

Games will be spaced out throughout each game week as to prevent wear and tear on the fields of each venue. In weeks where all 32 teams are playing, there will be a Thursday night doubleheader, one Friday night game, five Saturday games, six Sunday games and a weekly Monday doubleheader. The Friday Night Lights package should bring in big money for the league, offsetting some of teams’ gate receipts for not having games with fans in 2020.

With college football in doubt this year, the NFL can expand its reach and have three Saturday windows, one game at 1 p.m. eastern, two at 4 p.m. eastern, and a doubleheader of games beginning at 7:15 and 10:30 eastern. Same goes for Sunday, just add one game in the 1 p.m. eastern window. Games at venues will be spaced out so there’s at least two days in between matchups so that end zones can be painted and the playing surface can be revitalized as best as possible.

Coronavirus cases still need to go down in the L.A. area for this to truly be a foolproof plan, but with 31 cases per 100,000 residents, per the latest New York Times -1.2%NYT metrics, that’s still lower than Dallas County, about the same as Houston’s Harris County and more than three times lower than Miami Dade County. In the Bay, San Francisco County is at 12 cases per 100,000, Oakland and Berkeley’s Alameda County is at 10 and Santa Clara County is at 10 as well.

If you’re a sports league in 2020, you want to have and maintain as much control and limit the variables and vulnerabilities as much as humanly possible. It’s working with the NBA and MLS. It can work for the NFL, too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Reminder... CoVID discussion thread here:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wonder who pantry boy was. can't be bothered clicking on the link.

there's no way the players or team staff can live normal lives during the season. they either have to isolate from the world for the whole season or there won't be a season.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Honestly, you know what I’d really like them to do? And I know I’m in the way minority here, but whatever.

Just say fuck it.

This season ain’t gonna count boys, fuck it. Sometimes shit happens. Let’s get fun with it, 7 on 7, everyone wears mascot heads one day, homemade jersey day, etc etc. Each week do some fun little gimmick and then auction off stuff for charity. Give away limited seating opportunities for children and stuff, make it super fan friendly.

If we can’t do football right, and while I have hope, that risk is super there, then just have some fun, do some little prowbowl type goofy shit, make it about the fans, make it about giving back to the communities hurting from the pandemic, and be ready to come back next year with a lot of really healthy and ready to go guys.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Is there an isolated island somewhere they could make a quick football field? Only one boat allowed and everyone tested for a week straight and isolated from others before they're allowed to board and go the island? That would be the only way I know to keep it completely safe. Otherwise they're gonna have to decide how many infected is considered acceptable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is there an isolated island somewhere they could make a quick football field? Only one boat allowed and everyone tested for a week straight and isolated from others before they're allowed to board and go the island? That would be the only way I know to keep it completely safe. Otherwise they're gonna have to decide how many infected is considered acceptable.

Epstein’s island

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't see why players can't stay with immediate family. Most wives of players, I would assume, don't have to work. And it's possible to isolate some in the home when it may seem necessary. The sacrifice would be no friends outside of football. It's not that much to ask for one season. Many many military families do much much more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect the NFL to cancel the season. Way I look at it the NBA and even NHL with the smaller rosters are better suited to get through this thing. The sheer size of the entire NFL makes it a really difficult thing to manage though and the moment one team (it will start with one unfortunate team if they attempt this) gets an outbreak all the sissy ass modern fuckhead fans will cry foul about how unfair it is and they'll scrub it.

So if I were in the owner room my vote would be season cancellation. Fuck the players, fuck the fans, wait this thing out. I know I'm sort of being a dickhead here but it just doesn't make sense to me with all the players whining and shit about protection when we don't know what good protection would be required to pull this off let alone all the fallout for when an outbreak occurs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The helmets with masks is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Test the players regularly, make sure they don't have the virus and let them go at it. It's up to the players themselves to keep each other protected by keeping themselves isolated for the season.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I know some teams used to play spring training games on Catalina Island back in the early 1900s.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really dislike the way media outlets report this.....” we have now crossed the 4 million mark for Covid”. It makes everyone think we have 4 million active cases....we don’t. With this virus, apparently once you have it, you never get well. Someone is benefitting by keeping this as fearful as possible.

Ram65

Legend
I say give a shot even though I thought the NFL has too many people to control. At least we can see and comment on real games. They seem to have rules to limit interactions as much as possible. If players. coaches and family stay vigilant they may be able to limit exposure just enough to keep teams viable. Keep testing and moving forward.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I expect the NFL to cancel the season. Way I look at it the NBA and even NHL with the smaller rosters are better suited to get through this thing. The sheer size of the entire NFL makes it a really difficult thing to manage though and the moment one team (it will start with one unfortunate team if they attempt this) gets an outbreak all the sissy ass modern fuckhead fans will cry foul about how unfair it is and they'll scrub it.

So if I were in the owner room my vote would be season cancellation. Fuck the players, fuck the fans, wait this thing out. I know I'm sort of being a dickhead here but it just doesn't make sense to me with all the players whining and shit about protection when we don't know what good protection would be required to pull this off let alone all the fallout for when an outbreak occurs.
Does anyone honestly think the season won't happen? There’s too much money involved for them to cancel it outright.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Does anyone honestly think the season won't happen? There’s too much money involved for them to cancel it outright.
I do yes. For the reasons I mentioned above. Chances are it will take a while for the league to come to that decision though, because of the money you mention.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I do yes. For the reasons I mentioned above. Chances are it will take a while for the league to come to that decision though, because of the money you mention.
The money and tentacles of the NFL are enormous. The networks are in a pickle without football, Advertiser money vanishes, programming is already slim, and viewership is evaporating.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nightclubs, bars, concerts, pro sports events and even church services if above 25 percent capacity are now off limits. Players can walk into a bar or restaurant to pick up takeout, but that’s it. They also can’t attend or host a house party with more than 15 people.

Violations can result in fines. Moreover, if a player tests positive for the virus after one of these violations, they will not be paid for any missed games and their contracts would lose future guarantees.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said long ago before most that I didn’t think football was happening this year. I still think it will be cancelled. I don’t want to see one of the players or staff get it and suffer the complications of scarred lungs or even die on us. Is anybody willing to risk ADs lungs being permanently damaged or watch Coach McVay from a hospital bed? It’s not worth it. Screw the bubble. I don’t think it’s fair to ask the players to play. Just my opinion.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

The helmets with masks is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Test the players regularly, make sure they don't have the virus and let them go at it. It's up to the players themselves to keep each other protected by keeping themselves isolated for the season.

Just act responsibly.

Last year, around this time, Le’Veon Bell met two women at a club and took them home. The next morning, Bell went to workout and left the women in his home.

When he returned home, the women were gone and had stolen money and jewelry valued over $100,000.

Bell called the police to report the crime. He did not know the women’s names; and when asked what they were wearing, Lev Bell responded that ‘last time I saw them they were not wearing clothes’.

I just don’t see NFL players acting responsibly.