NFL screwed up not flexing Rams vs. Eagles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/media/nfl-ratings-sunday-night-football/index.html

'Sunday Night Football' takes a big hit as NFL ratings still struggle
by Frank Pallotta @frankpallotta
December 14, 2017: 5:57 PM ET

The NFL's premiere game of the week took a big hit in TV ratings on Sunday night, despite it being a close game.

NBC's "Sunday Night Football" match up between the Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers brought in 17.2 million viewers on Sunday night. That number was down 35% from last year's Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants game, which was the most-watched prime time regular season since Thanksgiving 2015.

The drop for the NBC broadcast is troubling for a league that has been plagued by down ratings nearly all season. It's even more surprising since the Ravens and the Steelers are bitter rivals and the game ended with the Steelers beating the Ravens 39 to 38.

NBC wasn't the only one to see its NFL ratings take a dip. CBS' slate of games over the weekend were down 27% from last year, while ESPN was down 9%. Fox was the only network to see its ratings go up from last year with its numbers up 6%.

Overall, the ratings for the NFL's season are down 9% from last year.

For most of the season, the league's critics, including President Trump, have pointed to the declines as a sign that players kneeling during the national anthem in protest are hurting the league's popularity. The reason why the league's viewership has taken a tumble may be harder to pinpoint, but one pain point is that many of the league's star players have been injured and out of games.

Richard Sherman, Deshaun Watson, J.J. Watt, Odell Beckham, Andrew Luck, Carson Wentz and Aaron Rodgers have all been injured at some point throughout this season. The suspension of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott may have also had an impact since the Cowboys, one of league's most popular and watched teams, have been lackluster in his absence.

The shortage of stars may mean that casual fans are less likely to tune into big games of the week like "Sunday Night Football."

Yet, the numbers are still down across the board for the NFL and it now looks the end of the season and the playoffs to help turn around the ratings slide.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yes it did. And look at this weekends SNF.... Dallas vs Oakland... LMAO. Nice job there NFL. Was the Rams/Seahawks game protected or something? The NFL needs to break away from trying to appease the bandwagon fans of popular teams and put actual good games into prime time. Thank god Goodell got an extension to keep up the good work.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
No shit? Who woulda thunk? Definately not the same brain trust that failed to flex the rams hawks game where the division title is basically on the line.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And look at this weekends SNF.... Dallas vs Oakland... LMAO. Nice job there NFL.

When the schedule comes out nobody knows what teams for the most part will be good, it changes.

And I had read the game was protected, otherwise I'm sure the NFL would have flexed the Rams-Eagles in a heartbeat.

Psycho_X

Legend
When the schedule comes out nobody knows what teams for the most part will be good, it changes.

I know, which is the point of flexing and the NFL could have done the Rams vs Seahawks... Chargers v Chiefs... Patriots v Steelers... or Packers v Panthers which all would have been better choices imo.

And I had read the game was protected, otherwise I'm sure the NFL would have flexed the Rams-Eagles in a heartbeat.

It wasn't protected but the NFL didn't think it was good to have two Eagles games in a row on SNF is what I read. But my comment was whether the Rams/Seahawks was protected because that's what should have been flexed.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
It wasnt protected but I had to read their longer than needed explanation twice because scanning it initially it read like a bunch of lawyer speak.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understood why last week wasn’t flexed but not this week. The idea of flexing is to show playoff caliber matchups. Baltimore Pittsburgh met the bill. Oakland Dallas? Who cares

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I understood why last week wasn’t flexed but not this week. The idea of flexing is to show playoff caliber matchups. Baltimore Pittsburgh met the bill. Oakland Dallas? Who cares

I think there needs to be a limit to how many times a team can play on a prime time game. Maybe 3 games at most. At least one should be a home game. Oh and they should be spread out more. I don't want to see the damn Dolphins 3 fuckin weeks in a row.

That way a teams like the Broncos or Dolphins that end up not meeting expectations don't end up being snooze fests on prime time.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Probably a logistical nightmare to flex the game to SNF per rumored agreement not to have primetime games at the Coliseum

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the NFL can just flex any game they want.

If what I read was correct, Fox and CBS can protect certain games. Imagine Fox losing Eagles/Rams? During a week where there were few good games, I'd think that Fox would protect that one.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
A friend of mine is a retired veteran of the Marines. He cancelled his direct TV when the NFL did nothing about players kneeling during the National Anthem. He said he certainly sympathizes with the problem of racial division, but there are better ways of getting that message out besides dissing the National Anthem and what it stands for.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Ravens vs Steelers used to be one of the best rivalries to watch a few years ago. I would rate it as one of the best games of the season. But both teams are so young now that that old rivalry is no longer there.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Of all the things the NFL has screwed up the last few years, not flexing Rams/Eagles is a drop in the ocean.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It wasn't protected but the NFL didn't think it was good to have two Eagles games in a row on SNF is what I read. But my comment was whether the Rams/Seahawks was protected because that's what should have been flexed.

Probably a logistical nightmare to flex the game to SNF per rumored agreement not to have primetime games at the Coliseum

Alright I will go with it wasn't protected.........I had read somewhere that it was.

@yrba1 is that the case? Odd that the NFL would agree to that........I don't understand why it would matter that much on a Sunday.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The NFL continues to turn a blind eye to the real reasons why interest is down. Horrible officiating, egotistical players doing stupid stuff( Peeing on the goal post), breaking to a commercials between every play, showing the same ones over and over and over....... clear favoritism to certain teams. Just a hodge podge of stuff that turn viewers off.

As it is, I only watch Rams games anymore, and that's only because they're having their best season in 14 years. That too, may end if I keeps seeing the kind of crap officiating I saw last week vs the Eagles.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there needs to be a limit to how many times a team can play on a prime time game. Maybe 3 games at most. At least one should be a home game. Oh and they should be spread out more. I don't want to see the damn Dolphins 3 freakin weeks in a row.

That way a teams like the Broncos or Dolphins that end up not meeting expectations don't end up being snooze fests on prime time.
Pittsburgh just played 5 out of 6 weeks in a row in prime time. Its ridiculous.
That theory was debunked, it only would have been an issue if classes were still being held.
There was no issue hosting prime time games at coliseum

It wasn't protected but the NFL didn't think it was good to have two Eagles games in a row on SNF is what I read
Nah, Pittsburgh just did it, Dallas last year. Its not uncommon

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Death of a titan....one of these teams playoff aspirations die this weekend.
Do either even have aspirations? I guess Dallas has a remote chance.
Gosh, the AFC stinks, I guess Oakland has an outside shot too.
Either way, I dont see either team making the playoffs

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Either way, I dont see either team making the playoffs
Dallas definitely has a chance...and is playing a lot better...with Lee...and Dak playing out of this world....I actually think GB and Dallas sneak in somewhere....

Man we have to win this weekend......