NFL salary cap cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ware-sanchez-cj2k-among-big-names-likely-gone

NFL salary cap cuts: Wilfork, Ware, Sanchez among those likely gone - JASON LA CANFORA/CBS Sports NFL Insider

Read entire article at link

St. Louis Rams: CB Cortland Finnegan

There is no way a team still trying to build and with almost no cap room will pay Finnegan $6M, with a $10M cap hit, especially at the end of his career. If designated a post-June 1 cut, the Rams save $9M in cap space (they only have about $2M right now), and cutting veteran guard Harvey Dahl frees up $4M more, and another $4.5M with oft-injured center Scott Wells. Oh, and with $27M owed to him over the next two years, the Rams have absolutely no intention of extending QB Sam Bradford -- contrary to a midseason NFL report -- but must decide if they still want him around since he has already received all of his guaranteed money.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I was wondering about the post June 1 cut designation idea in another thread. Although I do wonder if that lets the Rams off the hook for his roster bonus.

And while it makes no sense for either side to extend Sam right now... yet another person who didn't read that Bradford's cap number for this year is not a concern inside 1 Rams Way.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So if Finnegan, Dahl, and Wells are cut then that is 17.5 million under the cap, plus, doesn't the cap get bigger this year?

Laurinitis, Long and Long all have front loaded interacts that make it easy for them to cut in a few years if it is necessary, plus their interacts are less impactful as the years past. I am sure that is how Jake Longs contract is. Correct me if I'm wrong on the other two. IIRC then it should mean the Rams have a definite interest in OT and LBer in the very near future, with RDE possible too. My guess that OLT and SLB/MLB would be this year, to be groomed and or security against injury

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...s-cortland-finnegan-must-take-sizable-pay-cut

Rams' Cortland Finnegan must take 'sizable' pay cutBy by Kevin Patra

Video at the link.

Terrell Suggs' restructured contract signaled the start of the offseason when veterans on the back slope of their careers remake their deals.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport passed on another potential vet who could restructure: St. Louis Ramscornerback Cortland Finnegan.

Citing a source familiar with the Rams' plans, Rapoport reported Monday that Finnegan would have to take a "sizable" pay cut to remain on the roster.

The corner is set to count $10 million against the Rams' salary cap. The team would save $4 million by cutting him.

Finnegan's play has fallen off precipitously the last year and a half. The Rams feel he looked slow in 2013; one St. Louis source told Rapoport the team saw it in training camp last season.

The 30-year-old appeared in just seven games in 2013 before being shelved for the season in November. He didn't perform well when he was healthy. Pro Football Focus graded Finnegan its 109th rated corner out of 110.

In our offseason forecast, we predicted Finnegan could be a cap casualty unless he was willing to restructure his contract. As his play has tanked, Rapoport indicates that Finnegan would have to take a discount if he wants to continue playing under Jeff Fisher. The other option is to face being an aging veteran on the open market.

Alan

Legend
I wonder who the 110th rated CB is.
I don't want him back even if he plays for free.
I'd rather have McGee get more experience.
Unless he is the 110th guy.
I take that back.
I'd rather play McGee even if he is the 110th.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the cap is going up $3m. Plus Saffolds and Williams expired salaries are another $2.3 and Stewart is $1m.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wonder who the 110th rated CB is.
I don't want him back even if he plays for free.
I'd rather have McGee get more experience.
Unless he is the 110th guy.
I take that back.
I'd rather play McGee even if he is the 110th.
Probably Justin King.

Alan

Legend
That just made me think about how bad Tye Hill was.
Ist rounder and he couldn't even elevate his play to shitty.:cry:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A little editorializing there with the "absolutely no intention" comment don't you think? Why do these guys find it necessary to take a known fact and get in their thinly veiled insults?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you rearrange his name a little, you get Ju Stinking.

Ha! Never heard that before! :LOL:

I'm still kind of bummed we let Bradley Fletcher go without much effort.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
A little editorializing there with the "absolutely no intention" comment don't you think? Why do these guys find it necessary to take a known fact and get in their thinly veiled insults?
He can read minds!

And I know you can hear MY thoughts, Jason La Canfora...

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
I think the cap is going up $3m. Plus Saffolds and Williams expired salaries are another $2.3 and Stewart is $1m.

I don't know how much the cap is going up, but as of today the Rams have 617k in cap space and that already includes Saffold, Williams, and Stewart being off the books.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Funny. I'll wait to see what KD cooks up. I believe we were in just about the same position last season - no? And yet, we signed pretty much everyone we wanted to AND picked up Long and Cook. If we need to go after someone, there will magically be money available.