NFL rules updates. new and improved confusion.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Totally clearish on what a catch is. I guess it's better. Rules are always better the more bullet points they need.
DklbVuTU0AAL0Ze.jpg:large

DklT9fOV4AEWVdS.jpg:large

got from

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't wait for the time that a ref rewards the game winning score to a team for the other doing a "palpably unfair act". That'll be a fun week for the media.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
They're killing the game, slitting their collective throats thinking they're making the game better and safer. Too smart to leave well enough alone. Creating more controversy is not what fans want.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
They're killing the game, slitting their collective throats thinking they're making the game better and safer. Too smart to leave well enough alone. Creating more controversy is not what fans want.

So true, look at society in general. Much like America the NFL is so consumed by making every cry baby happy, it's turned the NFL into a 3 ringed circus.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

No, they are not.

Angry Ram

So true, look at society in general. Much like America the NFL is so consumed by making every cry baby happy, it's turned the NFL into a 3 ringed circus.

This is such a generalization based off reactions primarily from the internet.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
NFL is going to feel it in the 20% decline in TV ratings last season. 17% decline in 2016.

When the next TV deal comes up for negotiation, they are going to want that 20% adjustment, that mean 20% less for the NFL. Owners going nuts signing guys to play for 2 million a game is going to come to a screeching halt. On top of that the collective bargaining with the Players Union will be about the same time. All concerned are going to find out there is not an endless supply of money.

Going to be real interesting.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL is going to feel it in the 20% decline in TV ratings last season. 17% decline in 2016.

When the next TV deal comes up for negotiation, they are going to want that 20% adjustment, that mean 20% less for the NFL. Owners going nuts signing guys to play for 2 million a game is going to come to a screeching halt. On top of that the collective bargaining with the Players Union will be about the same time. All concerned are going to find out there is not an endless supply of money.

There's certainly a chance of that happening. However, while ratings are declining, compared to other tv viewers a sports viewer is more valuable, and that has steadily increased. Sports fans are far less likely to DVR a game to watch it delayed - at least the first time it's viewed. People want to see their team as the game is happening. If they also DVR the game, I suspect that is often in order to watch the game repeatedly. And some of those times commercials will be skipped, but sometimes not. Even then, networks are having more in-game promos "let's look at the Bud Light replay".

Sports is one of the few things that advertisers are confident they are getting their tv promo dollars worth. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the next tv deal goes up in value, even with lower ratings.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I 'm pretty sure there's going to be a few threads this season bitching about the lowering of the helmet calls. This call is going to be a game changer at some point. What I've seen called so far has me concerned for the safety of those around me.:eek::LOL:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Totally clearish on what a catch is. I guess it's better. Rules are always better the more bullet points they need.
DklbVuTU0AAL0Ze.jpg:large

DklT9fOV4AEWVdS.jpg:large

got from

I don’t like it. A catch is or should be just possession inbounds, not some other act (or “maintain[ing] control long enough to do so.”) Feet down is ok.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
There's certainly a chance of that happening. However, while ratings are declining, compared to other tv viewers a sports viewer is more valuable, and that has steadily increased. Sports fans are far less likely to DVR a game to watch it delayed - at least the first time it's viewed. People want to see their team as the game is happening. If they also DVR the game, I suspect that is often in order to watch the game repeatedly. And some of those times commercials will be skipped, but sometimes not. Even then, networks are having more in-game promos "let's look at the Bud Light replay".

Sports is one of the few things that advertisers are confident they are getting their tv promo dollars worth. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the next tv deal goes up in value, even with lower ratings.
Exactly, WWE signed pretty lucrative deals recently, which should show you the value of live entertainment these days. NFL is going to do fine until cable dies. And even after it does they might make a fortune for exclusive rights to broadcast on one of the big streaming companies.

If you have people dedicated to watching your product live, you can basically shove ads down their throats. And with cable/ over air TV viewership dwindling the NFL seems to have a golden ticket. Even if viewerships dips, it's still a hotter commodity than it was 7 years ago.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The catch rule is DEFINITELY better now...in with the common sense, out with the “surviving the ground” BS.

Probably good in the long run to have the new “keep your head up when tackling” rule... but it’s gonna cause some controversy this year for sure.

Angry Ram

I'd say its more reactions from the media. Not what some couch potato thinks

While I don't disagree, internet fans that comment on those media sites and on twitter are also driving forces.

What does that have to do with these rule changes?

Exactly, WWE signed pretty lucrative deals recently, which should show you the value of live entertainment these days. NFL is going to do fine until cable dies. And even after it does they might make a fortune for exclusive rights to broadcast on one of the big streaming companies.

If you have people dedicated to watching your product live, you can basically shove ads down their throats. And with cable/ over air TV viewership dwindling the NFL seems to have a golden ticket. Even if viewerships dips, it's still a hotter commodity than it was 7 years ago.

Funny you bring up WWE deals. Raw has had the lowest ratings in history. HISTORY. The product is so repetitive and boring. But it still is the top draw on cable channels.

But the NFL is suffering? Stahp. And these rule changes in the grand scheme of things don't affect the game that much. They're petty and sure has hell not going to "kill the game" like some like to suggest.

I 'm pretty sure there's going to be a few threads this season bitching about the lowering of the helmet calls. This call is going to be a game changer at some point. What I've seen called so far has me concerned for the safety of those around me.:eek::LOL:

This rule is ripe for misuse. Offensive players are going to start hunting for helmet contact to get the penalty.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching the games this evening im just like...
E5CD390E-DA9B-4717-AC66-CC648F396E81.gif

This tackling rule is going to cost a lot of teams wins this season. This rule needs to be reassessed as soon as possible!