Nfl Raising Salary Cap To 130 Mil

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have a feeling that we will have a lot more room by free agency

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So this raise gives us like 7 mil more in cap space as of right now? I belive we are only a few hundred thousand under the 123 mil cap from last year. So with the raise and a few releases we will have plenty of money to bring back saffold and sign another top tier FA like Verner or Byrd.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I posted an article about 2 weeks ago that said the cap may hit $130. I'm glad to see that it made it that high. I think in that same article it said that next year we may not see a cap increase since this one was so high.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice to see you Saffold.

Thats exactly what went through my head I figured thats about our max that we would offer him is 6 or 7 mil a year thats perfect!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
So this raise gives us like 7 mil more in cap space as of right now? I belive we are only a few hundred thousand under the 123 mil cap from last year. So with the raise and a few releases we will have plenty of money to bring back saffold and sign another top tier FA like Verner or Byrd.

Signing Byrd might be a little more complicated now. I read yesterday that the Bills might franchise him with intent to trade. Which means they would want a draft pick somewhere around the 2nd round for him. Fisher usually doesn't value safety play that high in the draft, and might steer us away from him for good.

Nice to see you Saffold.

Assuming you didn't already factor that $7m into the original cap space would you tag him? He'd essentially cost $3m and you'd have the insurance that if he does get injured again you're not tied down to a long term contract.

A55VA6

Legend
Very nice. So that adds a good $7 mil to what we have, plus whatever players we decide to cut.

PhxRam

Assuming you didn't already factor that $7m into the original cap space would you tag him? He'd essentially cost $3m and you'd have the insurance that if he does get injured again you're not tied down to a long term contract.

Tag him? No way..

I would give him fair market value and if he takes it great, if not, you thank him for his time served.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Very nice. So that adds a good $7 mil to what we have, plus whatever players we decide to cut.

This gets us very close to our operating costs and rookie signings for this year. Any players we cut or restructure should go straight into a pool for fun money now.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Wow, I didn't think it would go up that much. Now we need spend wisely, can't have another Finnegan-like signing. If Saffold is going to try and break the bank, I would reluctantly say c-ya.

fearsomefour

Legend
Thats exactly what went through my head I figured thats about our max that we would offer him is 6 or 7 mil a year thats perfect!
The issue of course is everyone else got the same amount. So if some had $5.5 for Saffold they could up their offer.
Much to their credit this admin seems determined not to over speed for sentimental reasons.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The issue of course is everyone else got the same amount. So if some had $5.5 for Saffold they could up their offer.
Much to their credit this admin seems determined not to over speed for sentimental reasons.
I think most teams still will keep the players at their value...the difference is that teams that maybe valued player X at say $5.5 but only could allocate $4 to that position may now be in the ballpark.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think most teams still will keep the players at their value...the difference is that teams that maybe valued player X at say $5.5 but only could allocate $4 to that position may now be in the ballpark.
I agree 100%.
If teams wants him badly enough and has money to over spend a little.
This is why I have been saying he will go to Oakland.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Cool...more room for a bunch of meh players combining to provide good depth/spot starters.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If the Rams still dump Dahl, Wells, Finnegan...it would be nice to re-sign Saffold and add Mack. You'd really be going into the draft with a pretty solid foundation on the OL.

Or maybe sign one of the two (Saffold or Mack)...then sign Verner.

Lot's of possibilities...and it isn't inconceivable that neither of those guys are Rams...wouldn't shock me in the slightest if it went any direction.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. If we cut a few guys, we had around $17 million with the estimated $126.3 million cap. That adds an additional $3-4 million in room.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN

According to a source, the projection for the 2014 salary cap is now at $132 million