NFL Qb Guru Steve Calhoun says Cody Kessler and Dak Prescott are ready to start day 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The recent DUI arrest tells me that Dak isn't ready.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kessler seems very similar to Case Keenum...

QB Cody Kessler
College: USC
Year: RS Senior
Birth Year: 1993
Height: 6-1
Weight: 215

Strengths
  • Great ball placement on throws inside 10 yards, leads receiver to maximize YAC
  • Good timing and anticipatory throwing, key traits with his lack of arm strength
  • Gets ball out quickly with clean release
  • Athleticism and mobility to escape pressure
  • Despite average stature, shows surprising strength in the pocket to break tackles
  • Takes good care of the football, knows his limitations and doesn’t take unwise risks
  • Good accuracy on the move, can be utilized on rollouts
  • Three-year starter in a pro-style system
  • High football IQ, works through progressions quickly
  • Highly competitive, tough kid with ideal leadership traits and work ethic
Weaknesses
  • Lacks ideal height and frame for a quarterback
  • Significant arm strength issues, velocity on intermediate to short range leaves a lot to be desired
  • Will hold ball a tad too long to try and get extra mustard on it, leads to passes dipping early down the field
  • Past 15 yards, accuracy to all areas of the field plummets
  • Deep ball placement is all over the place, rarely finds range to put pass on the money
  • Touch throw accuracy is poor, struggles to find proper range
  • Will often check down to easy throws underneath due to limitations deep
  • Has to crank the ball up to drive it down the field or to the far hash, slows delivery
  • Retreats/gives ground in the pocket rather than step up when facing edge pressure
  • Can’t test tight windows efficiently
  • Will get rattled when facing interior pressure, fall off his base

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kessler seems very similar to Case Keenum...

QB Cody Kessler
College: USC
Year: RS Senior
Birth Year: 1993
Height: 6-1
Weight: 215

Strengths
  • Great ball placement on throws inside 10 yards, leads receiver to maximize YAC
  • Good timing and anticipatory throwing, key traits with his lack of arm strength
  • Gets ball out quickly with clean release
  • Athleticism and mobility to escape pressure
  • Despite average stature, shows surprising strength in the pocket to break tackles
  • Takes good care of the football, knows his limitations and doesn’t take unwise risks
  • Good accuracy on the move, can be utilized on rollouts
  • Three-year starter in a pro-style system
  • High football IQ, works through progressions quickly
  • Highly competitive, tough kid with ideal leadership traits and work ethic
Weaknesses
  • Lacks ideal height and frame for a quarterback
  • Significant arm strength issues, velocity on intermediate to short range leaves a lot to be desired
  • Will hold ball a tad too long to try and get extra mustard on it, leads to passes dipping early down the field
  • Past 15 yards, accuracy to all areas of the field plummets
  • Deep ball placement is all over the place, rarely finds range to put pass on the money
  • Touch throw accuracy is poor, struggles to find proper range
  • Will often check down to easy throws underneath due to limitations deep
  • Has to crank the ball up to drive it down the field or to the far hash, slows delivery
  • Retreats/gives ground in the pocket rather than step up when facing edge pressure
  • Can’t test tight windows efficiently
  • Will get rattled when facing interior pressure, fall off his base
That is the exact comp that I'd give him, but Case was more prolific in college. Kessler, is smart, accurate, a good leader, and it ends there. I have seen him play a ton of games, and I like him. I do wish, he was taller, more athletic, and had a better arm.

We liked A. Davis, and Keenum, wouldn't shock me.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh yea, they're ready to start...but he never said anything about them playing well. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This draft cannot get here soon enough.

I will say that I like Prescott but he's gonna need time like most of these guys.