NFL Players rip Cam Newton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't really know how old this was. I just read it today from the SI website. I thought it was kind of eye opening

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/05/cam-n ... =nfl_t2_a9

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton earned a Pro Bowl nod last year after a historic rookie season in which he ran for an NFL quarterback record 14 touchdowns. But while in Hawaii for the game, he did not earn the respect of his peers, according to CBSSports.com’s Pete Prisco.

Newton’s AFC opponents pressured and hit him more than the other NFC quarterbacks during the game because of his “standoffish, diva ways” throughout the weekend, Prisco writes. His actions included turning down one player’s request for an autograph and picture for his kids at a function.

“He was a total a–hole,” one AFC player said. “Who did he think he was? He acted like the big s–t. Here he was at his first game and he acted like he was the star. Guys didn’t like that.”

“Who the hell did he think they were?” said one player. “The only people around are families. He knew that. Yet he big-timed the guy by saying ‘now’s not the time.’”

That player said Newton did the unthinkable and even dissed Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

“That’s the godfather there,” one player said. “Can you believe he did that?”

Said another player: “It didn’t matter who it was, he didn’t care about anybody but himself.”

Newton has posted similar numbers to his rookie campaign this season, including 14 touchdown passes, 524 rushing yards and six rushing touchdowns. But the Panthers are just 3-9 after going 6-10 last year, and Newton has been criticized for his poor body language and questionable leadership.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's uncool. Last year I thought he had a good head on his shoulders. I remember seeing a presser of him at the end of the year (or maybe the off-season this year) where he said he had to improve. I don't know what happened to him. Maybe he was like that all along? I do know that the whole "Superman" celebration is a bit much for a QB. Can you see Elway or Marino doing something like that? Especially when their team is down in the ranks? Not hardly.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
That's uncool. Last year I thought he had a good head on his shoulders. I remember seeing a presser of him at the end of the year (or maybe the off-season this year) where he said he had to improve. I don't know what happened to him. Maybe he was like that all along? I do know that the whole "Superman" celebration is a bit much for a QB. Can you see Elway or Marino doing something like that? Especially when their team is down in the ranks? Not hardly.
Bingo, thereareplayers you play "in their shaddow" but when they expect to "block out the sun" it screws up team chemistry.
The attitude manifest there just disses the contributions of all the guys who put him there, like you say "for a QB", WR's can act that way , but the team leader can't be a head case or you get a team full of them and when it's a coach (read Rex Ryan) you have ZERO cred when you tell someone to check their ego.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah BOY - Instant flash to the whole Superman deal. I remember him doing that when his team was getting stomped earlier in the year. I just shook my head. Got kinda noisy all of the sudden... not sure why.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hard to believe this guy's dad attempted to sell his son's rights to the highest bidder in college. Cam, of course, had absolutely NO knowledge of his father's dealing though :lmao:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Thief, liar, cheater, not really shocked. Never was very high on Cam Newton honestly. He's talented, but his head isn't really in the right place at this time. In the future I'm sure the leadership issues can be worked out, but I don't really see him as an 'elite' player that has all the tools. Flash in the pan type.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Cam was probably just pissed because he had to take a pay cut going to the NFL and Panthers from the Auburn Tigers. :sly:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
Cam was probably just pissed because he had to take a pay cut going to the NFL and Panthers from the Auburn Tigers. :sly:
ba dump dump chshshshshshsh

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Before he was drafted there was one scounting report that became public and basically said Cam was who we now know him to be... selfish, spolit, disengenuous, and all that comes with it. I recall that there was a PR campaign to squash the report, but it seems to have been accurate. I did post that report here at the time, but I haven't been able to find it... sorry.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He did play well this week. But yeah, it's pretty bad when you're getting ripped in the media openly like this. Sam had a bad year last year, but you didn't hear people criticize him privately. To me it's just a bad sign.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I HARDLY think he's Jamarcus Russel though, he has all the tools except the head and that can be fixed, but NOT until he realizes it needs to be.
Self agrandizing just plays poorly for a QB always will.