NFL Officiating policy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The NFL does not care about the quality or accuracy of their game officials. This is evident in the labor dispute impasse. But that's not the only source of my frustration.

--The NFL no longer issues statements about missed calls and referee discipline.

--The gag order on all HCs against officiating criticism is not only childish but allows the league to ignore the complaints of the media. If no one complains in the heat of the moment, is anything wrong?

--The majority of NFL zebras are not full-time employees, and those few are seen by the owners and the commissioner as purveyors of NFL policy, not the integrity of the rules. The NFL has always been too hands on when it comes to zebra access.

Is it any wonder that fans have little if any respect for NFL officiating. What we're seeing now is a direct result of the NFL's disdain for anything other than full control of their game.

Yes. I said it. Their Game. The owners may care how well their individually owned teams do, but they only care about the fan base to the point that they keep buying tickets and merchandise and Sunday Ticket. The commissioner's office's primary concern is to avoid bad press. Bad officiating is bad press.

IMO, there was a time that good officiating was a priority, but not in the last 20 years. Since the NFL adopted the salary cap and free agency, officiating has dropped way down the list.

Discuss ...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think the NBA is even worse.

One thing I really believe in, regarding officials....Be accountable.

You say, or do something, mistake or not, OWN up to it. It would give them credibility, and not conspiracy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It seems too obvious that the refs will play favorites in games. The NFL really doesn't care about how fair the game is, or even safety that much.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
It seems too obvious that the refs will play favorites in games. The NFL really doesn't care about how fair the game is, or even safety that much.
It seems that they are being influenced by coaches, players, and fans. Not good. Make your call and stand by it.

PhxRam

From the games i watched today, it seemed that the refs did okay. I thought they pretty much bought themselves another few weeks of employment. After watching the end of the Cardinals game, all I can say is "please come back"

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Either way the "regular refs" or the replacements, I don't give a fuck. The old refs missed obvious calls (i.e. Atogwe phantom PI, the no helmet to helmet call on Bradford vs. SD, Roethlisberger no call when Ngata broke his nose) and the new ones aren't any better or worse.

I figure you don't wanna blame refs, just win the damn games.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Im going to disagree with you on several points.

Ram Quixote said:
--The NFL no longer issues statements about missed calls and referee discipline.

I think thats a good policy. In todays world of 24/7 NFL coverage, everyone gets to see the questionable call and decide for themselves. There is nothing positive that can come from the NFL admission of a missed call. The refs already get death threats. Why compound the issue.

Ram Quixote said:
--The gag order on all HCs against officiating criticism is not only childish but allows the league to ignore the complaints of the media. If no one complains in the heat of the moment, is anything wrong?

No one complains in the heat of the moment? Really? I see coaches complaining to the refs and trying to get calls more often than actually coaching.

Ill assume you are speaking more toward fining of coaches for post-game criticism of officiating. I will say, it's a bit big brotherish for the NFL to play speech police. However whats done is done. No post game comments can change what happened. Officiating is more art than science and is often objective. Teams get their fair share of good calls and bad calls. Post game criticism comes across as unnecessary whining.

I think the officiating, done by permanent refs, is better now than ever. The difference is the access to the game has gone parabolic. Everything is analyzed over and over again. The officiating is under a spotlight, and with the rare exception, is pretty damn fair.

Now, the monetary amount that separates the union and the league is trivial, and it's ridiculous that the dispute remains unresolved. The owners are, by in large, cold hard capitalists. They know how to get deals to go their way and how to use leverage. The officials have their dream job. The NFL can go on with or without them.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can't believe I saw a chick on the field officiating. For the second time.

The head ref looked like a tiny Tiger Woods.

One of the replacements already claimed Workman's Comp (I'm guessing here). They said he came into the game to ref after having to sit out all of last yr with a knee injury. Hope it costs a fortune for the league.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I want to add on more thing.

The NFL's adoption of instant replay shows just how serious they are about the level of officiating. It allows the refs to admit mistakes, if they were made, on most of the judgmental calls. PI is the only major judgement call that cant be reversed.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
Either way the "regular refs" or the replacements, I don't give a freak. The old refs missed obvious calls (i.e. Atogwe phantom PI, the no helmet to helmet call on Bradford vs. SD, Roethlisberger no call when Ngata broke his nose) and the new ones aren't any better or worse.

I figure you don't wanna blame refs, just win the damn games.
What I have a real problem with regarding the replacements is that they aren't consistent. They don't call holding on pass pro. They don't understand the subtleties in many of the rules; they just don't have the experience. At least the regular refs will make enough calls to keep Olinemen honest, per se.

I suppose I can wait for the regular refs until after our home game next Sunday.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:

The NFL's adoption of instant replay shows just how serious they are about the level of officiating. It allows the refs to admit mistakes, if they were made, on most of the judgmental calls. PI is the only major judgement call that cant be reversed.
But instant replay doesn't fix the greater problem. It just allows the general incompetency to run while we believe mistakes are being corrected. The league now focuses on TDs and TOs (very important aspects, to be sure) but other judgement calls (this holding, not that holding) are not reviewable.

The basic problem of inconsistency remains. The replacement officials are just more inconsistent.

Now I will say that the job of the zebras is not easy. I can respect that. PI calls are bang-bang.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Coaches should be able to challenge penalties. They also shouldn't lose challenges when they win them.

Games take to long? Tell the refs to call a better game.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I feel the need to side with the locked-out officials, because they're getting a bigger shaft than Vivid Video girls, but let's be real. How long until NFL just rids the game of on-field officiating all together? What is it that the locked-out guys are looking for less than 1/3 of 1% of the NFL's revenue? Well, why not just buck the whole bunch of them and have 2 or 3 guys call penalties from a booth and just have some ball boys spot the damn thing in-between plays?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ram Quixote said:
libertadrocks said:

But instant replay doesn't fix the greater problem. It just allows the general incompetency to run while we believe mistakes are being corrected. The league now focuses on TDs and TOs (very important aspects, to be sure) but other judgement calls (this holding, not that holding) are not reviewable.

The basic problem of inconsistency remains. The replacement officials are just more inconsistent.

Now I will say that the job of the zebras is not easy. I can respect that. PI calls are bang-bang.

Humans are inconsistant. Unless we want machines out there officiating games, we have to deal with it.

There is nothing more humbling than admitting a mistake in front of millions of people. I think instant replay actually improves on-field officiating, because the refs dont wont to be wrong. They will get in a position to better assess the play. An officiating crew that constantly uses instant replay as a crutch, ofter getting things wrong, will be hear from the league. I guarantee that.

On to holding. Does it always get called? No. There is holding on almost every play. Do you really want the refs flagging every minor hold? The game would grind to a halt. And can you imagine the mess that would result from allowing replay to be used on things like holding and block in the back? It would be terrible.

Its like the strike zone in MLB. Its inconsistent from game to game. Sometimes from batter to batter. But that adds to the art and beauty of the game. Players must adjust. IMO things like holding are not much different. Some refs may flag a hold that others wont. Same with PI. Players must learn the limits and push them.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
I think the NBA is even worse.

One thing I really believe in, regarding officials....Be accountable.

You say, or do something, mistake or not, OWN up to it. It would give them credibility, and not conspiracy.

Exactly. I wish there were more Jim Joyces in sports, but he's one of very few.