NFL Official suspended

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
No way they're letting him ref the patsies game. Dolphins/Titans? Meh - who cares. WTF is THAT?
Getting a national game.
A big deal to these guys. There is a pecking order in place. A family friend was a college refs for decades. Moving up to D1 from D2 was a big deal. Getting a Pac 10 game instead of a Big West game was a big deal. Getting USC-UCLA instead of Washington State playing an out of conference team was big. Just like getting the Rose Bowl instead of the Holiday Bowl was a big deal.
Getting bumped from a national game to a regional game is an ego shot to that guy. They are sending him a message.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Can't have that dumbass freak up a cheatriot game...

Off to Miami with his ass. Hahahahaha
I just want to know , who is going to be checking Brady's deflated Balls in this game!?!
And I wonder how many times His Balls will be mentioned in this game!!:thinking::D ( All puns intended!)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It is time to make these officials full time employees and not work it as a part time job/hobby. I think every team should be allowed one challenge play every game regardless if it is a "reviewable" play or not.
What about that makes them better? The distraction of their other job makes them miss a call right in front of their face? They don't get enough study time to know the rules? I call BS. Being "full time" would have nothing to do with being a good ref. Besides, legally, you cannot restrict a person's employment or ability to seek opportunity. What are you suggesting? Have them show up to an office all year for no real reason?

NFL officials make on average $173,000 per year.
Exactly why they should be fined and/or suspended for botching calls. Want to keep that gig? Get your shit together just like any other employee must to keep their job.

I know, but most still have other full time jobs they do the rest of the week. Not bad change for working 20 or so weekends a year!
Right - so hold them accountable like I'm sure they are being held accountable in their other jobs. And if they are self employed, they are automatically being held accountable.

Right but what I'm saying is 173,000 is more than enough to live off of if they have other jobs it's by choice and not the nfls fault
Exactly.

Getting a national game.
A big deal to these guys. There is a pecking order in place. A family friend was a college refs for decades. Moving up to D1 from D2 was a big deal. Getting a Pac 10 game instead of a Big West game was a big deal. Getting USC-UCLA instead of Washington State playing an out of conference team was big. Just like getting the Rose Bowl instead of the Holiday Bowl was a big deal.
Getting bumped from a national game to a regional game is an ego shot to that guy. They are sending him a message.
I get that. But this is the NFL. One regular season game is supposed to be as important as the next as far as the teams winning and losing are concerned. In essence, they are still giving this ref a paycheck while penalizing the Dolphins and Titans with a known poorly performing ref. Suspend him with pay if that is your only angle. Don't penalize him by putting him off on two teams that obviously aren't as important to you as the patsies. Even if that is not the thought process, IMO the NFL just made another mindless blunder in their attempt at penalizing players/teams/owners/refs/equipment managers/ball boys. It is just mind boggling how random and careless they are about how they conduct business aside from their ability to print money.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
How about all the line judges who missed The Mighty Quinn getting choke-held every single freaking game last season and this season? How about letting TJ Mac tackle them by their third leg?
I heard on 1 of the pregame shows that the horsecollar that Quinn and others have been getting is legal! How, I don't know? I'd like an explanation as to how it's not holding!

fearsomefour

Legend
What about that makes them better? The distraction of their other job makes them miss a call right in front of their face? They don't get enough study time to know the rules? I call BS. Being "full time" would have nothing to do with being a good ref. Besides, legally, you cannot restrict a person's employment or ability to seek opportunity. What are you suggesting? Have them show up to an office all year for no real reason?

Exactly why they should be fined and/or suspended for botching calls. Want to keep that gig? Get your crap together just like any other employee must to keep their job.

Right - so hold them accountable like I'm sure they are being held accountable in their other jobs. And if they are self employed, they are automatically being held accountable.

Exactly.

I get that. But this is the NFL. One regular season game is supposed to be as important as the next as far as the teams winning and losing are concerned. In essence, they are still giving this ref a paycheck while penalizing the Dolphins and Titans with a known poorly performing ref. Suspend him with pay if that is your only angle. Don't penalize him by putting him off on two teams that obviously aren't as important to you as the patsies. Even if that is not the thought process, IMO the NFL just made another mindless blunder in their attempt at penalizing players/teams/owners/refs/equipment managers/ball boys. It is just mind boggling how random and careless they are about how they conduct business aside from their ability to print money.
Good points and well said.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
If it is your only job, then you might be inclined to know the rules better if it meant losing it for a bad call. The NFL likes that these guys are judges or teachers during the week, but I'd rather have a guy whose income depends on making the right call. You can require "no moonlighting" as a term of employment so that an employees focus is on one job alone. MLB has had full time officials for years and while it doesn't prevent bad calls, at least you feel they are focused on baseball. Again, JMHO.

VilleDeal

UDFA
Captain_Spaulding_001.jpg
no, this clown... I can see him possibly costing us.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care if the refs work other jobs - but obviously they aren't learning the rule book sufficiently if they don't immediately recognize that batting the ball out of the end zone is against the rules.

What I'd like to see is a full time staff in headquarters that puts together a study tape every week of badly missed calls that the officials need to look out for going forward - with the officials having to fly in at least once a week to go over it. This tape would include teams that are systematically evading the rules so that officials know to keep their eyes open specifically for that. I would like several week long sessions in the off-season where they go over tapes from the previous season to learn how to improve. I want them to be tested thoroughly before the season on the rule book, especially any new rules or rule interpretations, and on anything that officials seem to keep blowing. And yes, I want to see them be held accountable for their calls.

So long as they can go to all the in-season and off-season trainings, they can work other jobs too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You can require "no moonlighting" as a term of employment so that an employees focus is on one job alone.
You can with limits. But you have to have a set reason. Generally companies simply use the "three Ps" concept. Employees have to be present, prompt, and prepared. Or they use non-compete clauses. If you simply say that someone can't have another job, you would have to give a negative result from their other job if you let them go. Otherwise, you are infringing on their right to seek opportunity.

Baseball is obviously different than the NFL in that it is a 162 game season with games throughout the week and the season runs for most of the year with spring ball and post season and other events and seasons. MLB umpires may also work games like the Dominican leagues. MLB umpires are full time because they have actual full time jobs. Still - several MLB umpires DO have other jobs or companies that they work in the off season.

It is kind of like a teacher. Most teachers wouldn't have other jobs during the school year because of their 5 day work week not because they aren't allowed to have them. Sunday school teachers on the other hand, have other gigs during the week.

That's not to say that I wouldn't want the NFL to model the higher training standards set by baseball. Unfortunately, the constant training, multiple semi-pro leagues, and 162 game season, make it pretty hard to compare to football.

But the stuff in the post by @Akrasian above seems like a pretty logical thing to do. If they can't keep their other job in doing those things, oh well. Commit to one or the other.