Nfl Network’s Daniel Jeremiah Weighs What The Rams Will Do With The No. 2 Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramifications

1) I like Daniel Jeremiah, didn't know he was a college QB (knew he was a BAL scout), let alone at Appalachian State, Quick's alma mater.

2) The host made the connection and used as a segue way to ask about his development. He said Quick was still a bit of a project. Impressive traits, but still a work in progress as far as putting them together. It worries me that entering his third year he isn't a starter, and we don't know if he will ever be?

3) He likes Watkins to STL at 1.2, though acknowledges STL could trade down, he just doesn't speculate about trades in his mock. I am increasingly agreeing with a rationale he used. Basically, the NFC West will soon all have great defenses, that is almost a given for the next few years, barring injury. The team that emerges, will be the one that scores the most points. Simple. :^)

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
2) The host made the connection and used as a segue way to ask about his development. He said Quick was still a bit of a project. Impressive traits, but still a work in progress as far as putting them together. It worries me that entering his third year he isn't a starter, and we don't know if he will ever be?
I think this worries many Rams fans. I actually gave his rookie year a mulligan as if it was a redshirt year, mostly because he had such little coaching in being a WR in the college level. I viewed his second year (last year) as more of a rookie year. But if he doesn't do something this year, then I think he might not work out. It's too bad because he has a ton of natural athletic talent.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The big takeaways from him are:

You can't rely on Quick as a starting outside WR. Therefore, there is still that need. And all the posters saying we can sit tight and just let Quick, Bailey, and Tavon develop on the field are staring more of the same problems at WR we've had for years now. Plus, I think we know what Pettis and Givens are now. Not good enough.

DJ made it clear that he still believes in Sam and would stick with him, and maybe draft a QB in the 3rd round or so. This coming from a REAL football scout and personnel guy, not the jokers we read on net everyday, like Rotorworld, or Grantland or the PD. And I will add Faulk to this list. I love Marshall as a player, but he isn't a scout.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The big takeaways from him are:

You can't rely on Quick as a starting outside WR. Therefore, there is still that need. And all the posters saying we can sit tight and just let Quick, Bailey, and Tavon develop on the field are staring more of the same problems at WR we've had for years now. Plus, I think we know what Pettis and Givens are now. Not good enough.

DJ made it clear that he still believes in Sam and would stick with him, and maybe draft a QB in the 3rd round or so. This coming from a REAL football scout and personnel guy, not the jokers we read on net everyday, like Rotorworld, or Grantland or the PD. And I will add Faulk to this list. I love Marshall as a player, but he isn't a scout.
FWIW max, I'm not a fan of Marshal in any capacity beyond player ,too many baby momma's and "domestic disturbances" etc. for my liking.

I agree with the guy that when all these teams are equal defensively and physically I think we were this year, that LAST year was proof of that ,the best offensive team is gonna emerge.
IMO the Williams hire is gonna pull us even defensively ,we are way better at QB than the rest of the teams ,Wilson could win the Super Bowl and get anointed but I think we all know the ONLY way that happens is if his defense stifles Manning,he isn't going to go toe to toe and come out on top.
I think the hawks and 49rs have peaked defensively guys like Justin Smith and Cliff Avril are in decline and could drop off the face of the planet next year.
So IMO as long as we draft the BPA I can't see there is a wrong answer Watkins, Matthews or even Clowney,just as long as we get better in the draft ,we are young enough almost everywhere we are gonna get better and IMO would close the gap even take the lead if there was no draft no FA and all teams had to play next year with a pat hand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think this worries many Rams fans. I actually gave his rookie year a mulligan as if it was a redshirt year, mostly because he had such little coaching in being a WR in the college level. I viewed his second year (last year) as more of a rookie year. But if he doesn't do something this year, then I think he might not work out. It's too bad because he has a ton of natural athletic talent.

My thinking is you don't redshirt a high second round pick. At least his first contract should be pretty cheap at this rate, but the choice to draft him that high isn't looking like a wise decision. It just hasn't translated... yet. DK if it ever will.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My thinking is you don't redshirt a high second round pick. At least his first contract should be pretty cheap at this rate, but the choice to draft him that high isn't looking like a wise decision. It just hasn't translated... yet. DK if it ever will.

This is why you don't draft a project with such a high pick. The Rams did the same thing with Ron Bartell. He took three years to really get going. Fortunately he did finally perform well but the Rams didn't get the mileage out of him like they could have with a high second round pick that was good right out of the gate. I hate projects with the top 4 rounds. It is too risky and there are too many proven players available in those rounds.

Even if Quick does pan out, he was a bad pick. Early second rounders frequently contribute from the get go. I bet that if Snead could have a chance to take that one back he would grab it. He got too cute.

V3

Hall of Fame

So did Fendi Onobun. There's a reason you don't take kids in the 2nd round that have hardly played the position and the little they have played was in a weak division that hardly even used a playbook. Hated the pick when it was made. I honestly couldn't believe what I was watching. It still drives me crazy. The Rams got cute and thought they were outsmarting everyone.

fearsomefour

Legend
1) I like Daniel Jeremiah, didn't know he was a college QB (knew he was a BAL scout), let alone at Appalachian State, Quick's alma mater.

3) He likes Watkins to STL at 1.2, though acknowledges STL could trade down, he just doesn't speculate about trades in his mock. I am increasingly agreeing with a rationale he used. Basically, the NFC West will soon all have great defenses, that is almost a given for the next few years, barring injury. The team that emerges, will be the one that scores the most points. Simple. :^)
To point 2....this can work out a couple of different ways. A guy like quick can never develop fully (what others think his potential is) if he is being asked to be Micheal Irvin. However, Alvin Harper is a guy who was a role guy on a great team and contributed a great deal. Too early to give up on Quick. I dont really like the idea of drafting a WR at 2, or even in the top 5 if we trade down. That has to be a Fitzgerald, Johnson kind of player. I dont think Watkins is that.

To point 3....I agree and disagree. The Rams are behind the other teams in the NFC West (the top 2 anyway). It wont matter the strides made on O if the Whiners and Seahawks are allowed to run for 150 yards a game. The more I think about it I would be investing heavily in D in this draft. Upgrading DT and OLB will go a long way to making the front 7 special, just not to compete in the NFC West but to dominate games outside of it. Run and stop the run....that is what this division is all about.