NFL has fired some of its worst officials

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
65b83bd7f7c98cedd7c58544c265376c.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
I have been saying this has been in place all along. I have been a NCAA Division I Baseball umpire for 25 years, and you would be surprised by the amount of crossover there is with officials from other sports. I personally know guys who have been NFL officials, as well as a couple who are currently. The evaluation policy of the NFL is extensive. There are seven officials on the field for every game. Each and every one of them are "graded" on every single play, regardless if they make a call or not. Positioning and mechanics are as big a part of the evaluation as judgement.

As someone who has also served as a Supervisor of Umpires for a Professional Minor League, this sort of program is common. As Blandino explained, each official is ranked and those who tend to fall into the bottom tier, are put on notice. Show improvement or your days are numbered. This has been the case for years, it just isn't ordinarily made public. That Blandino felt inclined to even discuss this, tells me that the league felt the need to do a little damage control. They just survived a work stoppage a couple of years ago, combined with all the emphasis being put on safety, which leads to much more "judgement" based interpretations from the officials, the NFL has a PR problem as it pertains to officiating and this is their attempt to address it.
Great information, thanks for the insight.
A good friends father was a D1 college official for decades. Also refd basketball and baseball at a lower level.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It would sure be nice if they hired 9 new refs that could see blatant holding of Quinn and Long 10 gaddamn feet in front of them.

Is that too much to ask of a multi billion dollar industry?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not gonna make a huge difference until we stop implementing new rules every offseason. We also need to stop throwing flags over ticky tack calls.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It would sure be nice if they hired 9 new refs that could see blatant holding of Quinn and Long 10 gaddamn feet in front of them.

Is that too much to ask of a multi billion dollar industry?

Good luck with that, the league will continue to be pussified in favor of offense. Gotta teach our O-line to hold subtly as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not gonna make a huge difference until we stop implementing new rules every offseason. We also need to stop throwing flags over ticky tack calls.
I think you could be right. I have been thinking that they are simply giving these guys too much to watch for but the inconsistency is purely maddening. Maybe to much subjectivity in what they are being asked to call? I don't honestly think these guys enjoy being looked at as total asses.