NFL Draft Prospects: Safeties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Get the 2015 NFL Draft positional breakdown for safeties. While the position as a whole isn’t necessarily held in the highest regard this year, there are still valuable players who can come in and make an on-field impact in their rookie year. And there’s one safety who stands out above all the rest: Landon Collins. Other Safeties discussed by Myles Simmons: Ibraheim Campbell, Cody Prewitt, and Derron Smith.

Watch NFL Draft Safety Breakdown

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I never heard of Campbell before this piece, I'll have to check him out. I would like to add a couple of names to this list, to keep an eye on;
* Jaquiski Tartt - 6ft 1 - 223 - 4.49 40 time. out of Samford
* Damarius Randall - 6ft - 185 - 4.47 - Arizona
* Durell Eskridge - 6ft 4 - 205 - 4.54 - Syracuse
I think these guys show some real potential, they have size and speed!

Stel

Starter
I think Eric Rowe is the best FS in this draft class but, given the money situation, he'll probably rather play CB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Eskridge is my top free safety. Would much rather have Joyner starting there, though.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Myles Simmons sounds like a 12 year old kid lol poor guy.

I'm not a fan of Cody Prewitt though, he's really stiff in the hips and takes horrible angles all the time. If we are going to be taking a Safety in this draft, I hope they look at Tevin Mcdonald out of Eastern Washington. I think he and his brother just bleed football, would love those two together on the same team.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Future Investments: Safeties
Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-draftprospects/FutureInvestments-Safeties/81d2652b-3aa1-4aa7-b444-1e3b3ced7bdc

In this edition of our prospect breakdowns, we’re taking a look at the top safeties in the 2015 NFL Draft. While the position as a whole isn’t necessarily held in the highest regard this year, there are still valuable players who can come in and make an on-field impact in their rookie year. And there’s one safety who stands out above all the rest.

SAFETIES

Collins is universally thought of as the top safety prospect in this year’s draft, which is not too much of a surprise considering the system he played at Alabama. He’s a typical Nick Saban, hard-nosed safety who has a strong ability to make plays in the box.

In 2014, Collins was a unanimous first-team All-American, and also received first-team All-SEC recognition. He led the Crimson Tide with 103 tackles and three interceptions over the course of the season. He registered 190 tackles, 13 passes defensed, five interceptions, and three forced fumbles in his collegiate career.

While he’s mostly thought of as a strong safety for the NFL, Collins does have some experience playing free safety with Alabama. That said, according to his NFL.com draft profile, he’s been a little inconsistent in coverage and he does not have the best hands, making strong safety likely his best spot.

Ibraheim Campbell

A four-year starter at Northwestern, Campbell is another aggressive strong safety who can be characterized by his propensity to create turnovers. He missed four games due to injury in 2014, but still led the Big Ten with four forced fumbles playing just 56 percent of the Wildcats’ defensive snaps. Campbell had 54 total tackles, three interceptions, and three passes defensed last season to garner second-team All-Big Ten honors.

According to the team website, Campbell is third in Northwestern program history with 11 career interceptions and fifth with 24 pass breakups.

He did not participate much in February’s combine due to a hamstring injury, but did put up 23 bench reps to rank among the top performers at his position.

While his NFL.com draft profile says that his weakness is coverage, that’s somewhat to be expected as an in-the-box safety coming out of college. But his ability to create turnovers is likely an enticing aspect of his play for pro teams.

Cody Prewitt

Prewitt is also a four-year starter and he had plenty of success in the SEC at Ole Miss. He’s twice garnered first-team All-SEC recognition after strong 2013 and 2014 seasons. As a junior, he led the conference with six interceptions while also recording 4.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Then in 2014, he was named a second-team All-American after registering three interceptions -- including one returned for a touchdown.

At 6-foot-2 and 208 pounds, Prewitt resembles an in-the-box safety, but his skill set has shown that he’s more adept in coverage. According to his NFL.com draft profile, he has shown good burst when it comes to closing in on a ball, especially when he’s playing as a “center fielder” type. He’ll likely be best as a Cover 2 or single-high coverage safety, at least early in his career.

Derron Smith.

Smith is a three-time first-team All-Mountain West honoree (2012, 2013, and 2014) and ranks as one of the top defensive backs in recent conference history. His 15 career interceptions ranks as second in the Mountain West since 2000. Statistically, Smith’s best season was 2013 when he registered 87 total tackles, 8.0 tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks, and seven interceptions to lead his conference.

While he’s a bit undersized as a safety at 5-foot-10 and 200 pounds, Smith’s play has shown an ability to overcome that fact. His NFL.com draft profile says that he can play both in the box and as a single-high coverage safety, adding that he has the potential to be a plug-and-play slot corner as well.

Also worth a mention…

- Damarious Randall (Arizona State)

- Clayton Geathers (UCF)

- Jaquiski Tartt (Samford)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Can we get a ball hawk whose main skill is coverage for the position though? We're loaded with box safeties and hitters.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can we get a ball hawk whose main skill is coverage for the position though? We're loaded with box safeties and hitters.

So, I brought this up on another thread. What type of Free safety did Greg Williams have in the past? Was it more of a true free safety or was it more like McLeod, who I consider a free safety/strong safety tweener. Did Williams focus more on a big hitter or more of a ball hawk? Anyone recall, without me doing research?

Memento

Name
Jemma
So, I brought this up on another thread. What type of Free safety did Greg Williams have in the past? Was it more of a true free safety or was it more like McLeod, who I consider a free safety/strong safety tweener. Did Williams focus more on a big hitter or more of a ball hawk? Anyone recall, without me doing research?

Free safety was more of a ballhawk. The year the Saints won the Super Bowl, they had Darren Sharper (puke). That's what we have to do if we want to be successful. McLeod is not a coverage guy. Joyner has a better chance, hence why I want Joyner to win the job.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Free safety was more of a ballhawk. The year the Saints won the Super Bowl, they had Darren Sharper (puke). That's what we have to do if we want to be successful. McLeod is not a coverage guy. Joyner has a better chance, hence why I want Joyner to win the job.

However, Fisher said Joyner is a CB.

Before Sharper and the Saints didn't he have Sean Taylor with the Redskins? Mcleod doesn't seem modeled after either of those two in playing style. Maybe they really are interested in Rowe or Randall. They would have a year to ease him into the system. Fisher seems to like bringing rookies along slowly.

Memento

Name
Jemma
However, Fisher said Joyner is a CB.

Before Sharper and the Saints didn't he have Sean Taylor with the Redskins? Mcleod doesn't seem modeled after either of those two in playing style. Maybe they really are interested in Rowe or Randall. They would have a year to ease him into the system. Fisher seems to like bringing rookies along slowly.

Fisher also flip-flopped between Hill and Davis and back to Hill. He's not always truthful, and he's not afraid to make a change if a guy can perform better as a starter than the incumbent starter (see, Mason, Tre). If Joyner tries out at free safety and is better than McLeod, Fisher is going to replace McLeod with Joyner.

And I honestly don't think that there's a single free safety in this draft who would be better than Joyner.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher also flip-flopped between Hill and Davis and back to Hill. He's not always truthful, and he's not afraid to make a change if a guy can perform better as a starter than the incumbent starter (see, Mason, Tre). If Joyner tries out at free safety and is better than McLeod, Fisher is going to replace McLeod with Joyner.

And I honestly don't think that there's a single free safety in this draft who would be better than Joyner.

I think Joyner is a bit short for free safety. I really think Joyner stays at corner because they always have to be prepared for free agency and Jenkins or Tru could get more money than the Rams think they are worth. Same with McLeod. I guess we will have an idea if they draft a safety or not this go around.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think Joyner is a bit short for free safety. I really think Joyner stays at corner because they always have to be prepared for free agency and Jenkins or Tru could get more money than the Rams think they are worth. Same with McLeod. I guess we will have an idea if they draft a safety or not this go around.

Joyner's only an inch smaller than Earl Thomas and about the same weight (because there is absolutely no way that Thomas is actually 5'10", 205 lbs.) He's not the ballhawk that Thomas is, but he's better in every aspect than McLeod.