NFL could push back draft even further in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
NFL could push 2015 NFL Draft back further; many cities interested
By Will Brinson / NFL Writer

May 07, 2014 12:14 PM ET
If you hate the 2014 NFL Draft happening in early May you might really end up hating 2015: according to a report the NFL is considering moving the draft back even further.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel cites three sources telling him the NFL is considering moving the draft back "a week or two later" than it already is.

That would mean the middle of May or even late May, which seems borderline unfathomable. But the complaints of what feels like many on Twitter doesn't mean nearly as much in the real world; your average fan doesn't care exactly when the draft happens.

Where the draft happens might be more interesting. And according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, a slew of cities have applied to host the draft in the future.

Additionally, Bart notes that Arlington, Texas also applied.

Radio City Music Hall's been the backdrop of the draft for years. Radio City doesn't seem real interested in locking down the draft, though, and the NFL is more than happy to call that bluff by offering fans of other cities a chance to attend.

And if you're going, expect to spend four days at the draft in the future. Roger Goodell hasn't hid his interest in having a four-day draft (presumably: Round 1 Thursday, Round 2 Friday, Rounds 3 and 4 Saturday and the rest on Sunday).

That's more television exposure for the league and a greater focus on Rounds 3 and 4, which have become substantially more interesting in recent years.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
your average fan doesn't care exactly when the draft happens.

Yes, yes they fucking do!!! I don't care one bit where it happens, I just care when it happens!!

This is just getting stupid now if its true. When does it end? Do they not understand that these rookies need time to integrate with the team and adjust to being in the NFL and they need the time to help them start understanding the playbooks and get there bodies prepared by coaches and so many other things.

If anything, the draft should be held sooner than it used to be so they have more time to adjust and learn the nuances of life in the NFL.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I don't see another delay happening. The backlash would be huge. You can also add in the fact that the current date already makes it hard for teams to get their new players acclimated and up to speed in time for the next season.

rdw

Pro Bowler
It may not be the commissioner. We don't know who is pushing for it.
True, I should have said, "If the commissioner is behind this, I will hate him even more."

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's absolutely crazy. I just don't see the point. I watched nfl network maybe once these last two weeks. I just want the draft to be here and I'm losing interest.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When the supplemental draft starts happening prior to the NFL draft, you know things are out of hand....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Goodell sees “real value” in May draft
Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2014

goodell2.jpg
AP

The NFL moved the draft to May this year, ostensibly due to a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall. Despite fans strongly preferring a return to April and multiple teams and coaches and players and agents expressing concerning about the prolonged pre-draft process, the league could decide to keep the draft in May.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell took some time on Wednesday to talk up the new (for now, possibly for good) month of the draft.

“The later time period is actually beneficial in some ways,” Goodell told Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post. “It’s obviously an anxious time for the players, the teams and the fans. They want to get moving. But there have been some real pluses, and we’ll have to evaluate that. A number of our coaches have praised it, too, because it gave them a chance to spend time with their current players and make some determinations about what’s the right place to go in the draft. So there’s some real value to it.”

Only one coach has spoken publicly in favor of the move. New Bucs coach Lovie Smith has said he appreciates having the extra time to evaluate his roster and to make decisions about the team’s slew of picks. Beyond Smith, the overwhelming sentiment has been negative.

From the analysis leading to paralysis to players being exposed to excessive pre-draft workouts to rookies having less time to make the adjustment to life in the NFL to the chase for undrafted free agents conflicting with Mother’s Day (that may not be a major issue now, but it will be in three days), the May draft has been a disaster.

Undeterred, the NFL actually is considering moving the draft even deeper into May, giving rookies even less time to study playbooks and get reps in the offseason program.

It’s hard not to think that, when it comes to the timing of the draft, the NFL is more concerned about maximizing the event (and the money that comes from it) than strategic considerations. In the end, the NFL will make a decision after studying the ratings and the coverage of the May draft. If the ratings and the coverage outweigh the negatives — which included inducing an uncharacteristic lull between free agency and the draft — the league will ignore the criticism, focus on the praise, and keep the draft in May.

Here’s hoping the criticism will be so loud that it can’t be ignored. The draft belongs in April.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Goodell sees “real value” in May draft
Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2014

goodell2.jpg
AP

The NFL moved the draft to May this year, ostensibly due to a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall. Despite fans strongly preferring a return to April and multiple teams and coaches and players and agents expressing concerning about the prolonged pre-draft process, the league could decide to keep the draft in May.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell took some time on Wednesday to talk up the new (for now, possibly for good) month of the draft.

“The later time period is actually beneficial in some ways,” Goodell told Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post. “It’s obviously an anxious time for the players, the teams and the fans. They want to get moving. But there have been some real pluses, and we’ll have to evaluate that. A number of our coaches have praised it, too, because it gave them a chance to spend time with their current players and make some determinations about what’s the right place to go in the draft. So there’s some real value to it.”

Only one coach has spoken publicly in favor of the move. New Bucs coach Lovie Smith has said he appreciates having the extra time to evaluate his roster and to make decisions about the team’s slew of picks. Beyond Smith, the overwhelming sentiment has been negative.

From the analysis leading to paralysis to players being exposed to excessive pre-draft workouts to rookies having less time to make the adjustment to life in the NFL to the chase for undrafted free agents conflicting with Mother’s Day (that may not be a major issue now, but it will be in three days), the May draft has been a disaster.

Undeterred, the NFL actually is considering moving the draft even deeper into May, giving rookies even less time to study playbooks and get reps in the offseason program.

It’s hard not to think that, when it comes to the timing of the draft, the NFL is more concerned about maximizing the event (and the money that comes from it) than strategic considerations. In the end, the NFL will make a decision after studying the ratings and the coverage of the May draft. If the ratings and the coverage outweigh the negatives — which included inducing an uncharacteristic lull between free agency and the draft — the league will ignore the criticism, focus on the praise, and keep the draft in May.

Here’s hoping the criticism will be so loud that it can’t be ignored. The draft belongs in April.

Fuck

You

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's hard on us, but really unfair to the kids that get drafted. Not only do they have less prep time with their new teams they have less time to find a place to live and settle in.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It may not be the commissioner. We don't know who is pushing for it. Goodell usually does what the owners want.
He's basically the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company...so yeah, i can see him doing whatever benefits himself and the other rich people around him... instead of benefiting the people who actually make him money(players) and the general public who buy his product(fans).

Makes perfect sense.

PhxRam

Wait until some of these kids get injured because they haven't had enough time to study the playbook or learn their assignments.

All about player safety.. Yeah Okay.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Wait until some of these kids get injured because they haven't had enough time to study the playbook or learn their assignments.

All about player safety.. Yeah Okay.
What does NFLPA say about this? That is, the player safety issues involved. Seems like this May Draft business affects OTAs as well.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I saw this article earlier today and just didn't have the heart to post it. I knew it was going to ruffle some feathers around here. Obviously, the NFL wants the draft to be an event and pushing it a couple of weeks away from the Super Bowl would be better spacing as far as tv goes. It's still a long way until the actual season starts so I can see why they'd want to be a little deeper into May. I don't see how it's going to hurt the players. If anything, won't it make it more fair to those guys who have a later graduation date and aren't able to report as early as all the other players?