NFL.com 3 Round Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Mock Draft

Interested in your thoughts on the Rams picks mocked in this.

2nd Round - Edge Nolan Smith, Georgia

Still on board at this pick: RB Gibbs, TE Washington, Edge McDonald, OC Schmitz, CB Forbes, QB Hooker, Edge Ojulari, CB Ringo, Edge Foskey, Edge Hall

I don't get the love for him myself. He was not very productive on a fantastic D that should have given him all the chances in the world to produce, with guys like Carter getting doubled every play. He'd land in a similar situation with Donald getting doubled every play. Obviously, production numbers aren't everything, but, IMO there are better guys on the board. If we are going edge, I'd likely rather all of the above listed Edge's over Smith. Someone who may have seen Smith play more and see's the potential, please explain.

3rd Round - S Skinner III, Boise St

Still on board at this pick: Edge Foskey (would be outstanding value at this pick IMO), Edge Hall (same with Foskey), S Battle, RB's - Spears, Johnson,Tucker,McIntosh

I don't have an issue with this pick. I think this kid has potential to be game changer. Has the size to get into the box and play some coverage LB also.

The availability of quality edge rushers at this pick does make me think (in this mock) we should have gone another direction in 2nd. Schmitz or one of those CB's might have been better value. Also, I wonder what the thoughts of grabbing Hooker her would be? Very cheap back up QB and potential starter after Stafford. Problem being, he wouldn't help us immediately like some of the other prospects listed.

Thoughts?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hard not to like Nolan Smith as to Skinner an in the box safety, for once I would like to draft a safety that can actually cover somebody, not taking anything away from Skinner.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard not to like Nolan Smith as to Skinner an in the box safety, for once I would like to draft a safety that can actually cover somebody, not taking anything away from Skinner.
Agreed love Smith been hoping for a long time his injury this year drops him too us but I'm guessing a team at the end of the first grabs him and profits. Also agree with Skinner he's good just not sure that's what we need. Would rather see Daniel Scott from Cal in the 5th as a Free Safety.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally, I much prefer McDonald, Foskey, Ojulari, and maybe Hall to Smith. From all I hear, Smith is a leader and good guy, but, I just don't see the production for me to warrant that high of a pick. Especially with the chances of one of those 3 being around in the following round. Grab a stud OL in 2nd, though its not sexy.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Welp, Nolan Smith just moved himself right up the board

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welp, Nolan Smith just moved himself right up the board
For those that love the RAS score apparently Smith tested to be the perfect running back :D Man I want him to fall to us.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
For those that love the RAS score apparently Smith tested to be the perfect running back :D Man I want him to fall to us.
Also was impressed; and really liked how he handled himself in an interview. However, he is on the smaller side for an Edge at 6'2" and 238. He will need to play with leverage and bend, and have some pass-rush and counter moves because if a lineman that's one hundred pounds heavier locks-on, it may be over quickly.

I really do like him. Just think the better Edges now-a-days are between 250-260; and, I think, the Rams have preferred bigger guys on the Edge. I know they love the RAS score. Who doesn't enjoy a good RAS?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also was impressed; and really liked how he handled himself in an interview. However, he is on the smaller side for an Edge at 6'2" and 238. He will need to play with leverage and bend, and have some pass-rush and counter moves because if a lineman that's one hundred pounds heavier locks-on, it may be over quickly.

I really do like him. Just think the better Edges now-a-days are between 250-260; and, I think, the Rams have preferred bigger guys on the Edge. I know they love the RAS score. Who doesn't enjoy a good RAS?
I don't care about RAS :D

But yeah he's smaller but he's only 2 lbs lighter than Floyd but a couple inches shorter. He's been my target for a long time and it became a possibility when he got injured. Can hope he's there but not sure it's possible now.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't care about RAS :D

But yeah he's smaller but he's only 2 lbs lighter than Floyd but a couple inches shorter. He's been my target for a long time and it became a possibility when he got injured. Can hope he's there but not sure it's possible now.
I know Leonard Floyd is listed at 240 pretty much everywhere that lists an NFL player's weight, including the Rams' Team site but it also lists Alaric Jackson at 285; and he stated in the Fall that he was 335.

Never understood why football weights are rarely up-dated. Always thought that was lazy.

Just think of Floyd as heavier than 240 but I don't know.

I did a couple searches before hitting send on this response. No clear answer but Floyd is a Virgo!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Leonard Floyd is listed at 240 pretty much everywhere that lists an NFL player's weight, including the Rams' Team site but it also lists Alaric Jackson at 285; and he stated in the Fall that he was 335.

Never understood why football weights are rarely up-dated. Always thought that was lazy.

Just think of Floyd as heavier than 240 but I don't know.

I did a couple searches before hitting send on this response. No clear answer but Floyd is a Virgo!
And it lists Aaron Donald at 285 and he says he plays closer to or below 270. They're often wrong we can only go off what they list.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
And it lists Aaron Donald at 285 and he says he plays closer to or below 270. They're often wrong we can only go off what they list.
Got to agree to disagree there my friend.

Usually, I accept that I don't really know a player's accurate weight. Like Floyd in this case. No idea.

But I will trust my eyes and use common sense in some instances.

An example would be Alaric Jackson. When, early in the Season, a couple posters referred to him as 285 lbs because that was listed, I strongly disagreed based on what my eyes told me (That man is NOT 285 pounds!). Then Jackson himself ... I believe on social media ... said he was about 335 pounds.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got to agree to disagree there my friend.

Usually, I accept that I don't really know a player's accurate weight. Like Floyd in this case. No idea.

But I will trust my eyes and use common sense in some instances.

An example would be Alaric Jackson. When, early in the Season, a couple posters referred to him as 285 lbs because that was listed, I strongly disagreed based on what my eyes told me (That man is NOT 285 pounds!). Then Jackson himself ... I believe on social media ... said he was about 335 pounds.
As you wish we'll just guess at weights.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
As you wish we'll just guess at weights.
Now now, that's not what I said. I clearly said ... "in some instances"

If you prefer to go snarky, well ...
Feel free to be Naive and Foolish, and believe Alaric Jackson is 285 lbs because a team-site lists him as such.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now now, that's not what I said. I clearly said ... "in some instances"

If you prefer to go snarky, well ...
Feel free to be Naive and Foolish, and believe Alaric Jackson is 285 lbs because a team-site lists him as such.
I got that I just find stuff like this funny. It's similar to coach speak if coach says something people agree with it's cool otherwise it's just coach speak. If a player is listed at a weight and somebody agrees with it it's cool otherwise we don't trust what the list says. A lot of the times these aren't changed from the time a player is drafted, for the record AD at the combine weighed in at 285 and it may have never changed but he dropped weight as soon as he got in the NFL. We don't know that's my point. It makes no sense to doubt what we're told by the team unless we have something from the player like in AD's case to counter that. The Rams tell us Floyd weighs 240 then he likely does and what is the difference if he weighs 245 or 248 or whatever we think he might weigh? He weighed 244 at the combine so maybe he lost weight when he got to the NFL like AD.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I got that I just find stuff like this funny. It's similar to coach speak if coach says something people agree with it's cool otherwise it's just coach speak. If a player is listed at a weight and somebody agrees with it it's cool otherwise we don't trust what the list says. A lot of the times these aren't changed from the time a player is drafted, for the record AD at the combine weighed in at 285 and it may have never changed but he dropped weight as soon as he got in the NFL. We don't know that's my point. It makes no sense to doubt what we're told by the team unless we have something from the player like in AD's case to counter that. The Rams tell us Floyd weighs 240 then he likely does and what is the difference if he weighs 245 or 248 or whatever we think he might weigh? He weighed 244 at the combine so maybe he lost weight when he got to the NFL like AD.

I agree with you in general. I agree with you on Floyd; and even wrote earlier that “I have no idea what he weighs”. I agree with you on Donald. I agree with you that we generally ‘don’t know’; and ‘it makes no sense to doubt what we are told’. MOST of the time.

However, “in some instances“, there are exceptions. Like Alaric Jackson.

Would you have believed or accepted that Jackson weighs 285 lbs because that’s his listed weight?

I didn’t because I couldn’t, because he was clearly a LOT heavier than that.