NFL Coaches Who Will Be on the Hot Seat Entering the 2019 Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamnSD

Rookie
Name
RamnSD
You have to think Jon Gruden could also be in the hot seat after how much the Raiders have paid and traded for the man. Last year was a complete disaster. If he doesn't have anything to show for 2019, you have to think ownership will be very displeased.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have to think Jon Gruden could also be in the hot seat after how much the Raiders have paid and traded for the man. Last year was a complete disaster. If he doesn't have anything to show for 2019, you have to think ownership will be very displeased.

He’s got, what, 9yrs left on his contract?

:LOL:

Raiders better hope he hasn’t lost his fastball.

Ram65

Legend
Pittsburgh seems really weird right now.

I can’t make sense of the in-fighting... hard to imagine the QB being the sole reason, but also hard to imagine Tomlin as the problem with as much success as that team has had.

Weird.

I could see a change looming and the Steelers usually go young at Head Coach and build....Tomlin could end up in Houston or Minnesota depending on which team struggles most as to the Steelers, well, IMO, it could be Josh McDaniels or Mike McCarthy, but that's without factoring in any college Head Coaches as Baylor's Matt Rhule could be a dark horse, but I see Rhule in New York with the Giants after 2020.

Here is a confusing article from local newspaper on Steelers resigning Tomlin. Interesting that the Steelers resign their head coaches two years before their contract runs out. So that would be later this summer. The writer says he will get resigned but, then says they may wait a year. Click link to see fan comments. I think most fans would like him gone............Steelers don't change head coaches very often. A bit surprised he has coached as long as he has. I think he stays.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...-NFL-contract-Art-Rooney/stories/201905120176
When will the Steelers sign Mike Tomlin to a contract extension?

GERRY DULAC
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
gdulac@post-gazette.com

MAY 12, 2019

3:23 PM

The question is not if the Steelers will sign coach Mike Tomlin to a contract extension, who has two more years left on his existing deal.

The bigger question is when.

And for how much?
But it must be noted that the Steelers did not announce Tomlin’s two-year extension in 2017 until August, so there still is plenty of time to do so. If they choose to do so this season.

It would not be unreasonable or even unthinkable for team owner/president Art Rooney II to wait another year to extend Tomlin, sending a message to all that his coach, like his players, is to be held accountable for the manner in which the past two seasons have ended: Prematurely and abruptly.

In Dallas, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been non-committal about an extension for coach Jason Garrett, who is in the final year of his deal. The Cowboys won seven of their final nine games in 2018 and made the postseason for the third time in five years, but Jones said in a radio interview in January, “It’s not enough, not enough.”

Barring a change of mind, it appears Jones is going to make Garrett perform for his future with the Cowboys in 2019, a show-me season, if you will. He did that once before with Garrett, after the Cowboys finished 8-8 in 2013. Garrett responded by going 12-4 and leading the Cowboys to the NFC East Division crown in 2014.

Unlike Garrett, Tomlin is not in the final year of his contract. He is good through the 2020 season. But where is the harm in giving him a show-me season, too?

After “cleansing” the locker room of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell — Tomlin’s word — what better way to incentivize a head coach than to show that he can move on without players of that caliber?

Rooney, though, has another significant contract to address. General manager Kevin Colbert has one more year remaining on his deal, which expires after the 2020 draft. Colbert, 62, has been with the Steelers since 2000, and any decision about his future would appear to be strictly up to him. His success in working with Tomlin and Bill Cowher is unquestioned.

Paul Zeise
Paul Zeise: A Mike Tomlin extension might not be the Steelers' smartest move

NFL teams do not disclose the salaries of their head coaches. It is not like the salaries of NFL players, whose contracts are listed on websites such as Overthecap.com and Spotrac.com. So trying to accurately gauge the salary of a head coach, including Tomlin, can be an inexact process.

When Tomlin signed his most recent extension in 2017, a team source with knowledge of the deal said he wasn’t the highest-paid coach in the league, “but he wasn’t far behind.” At the time, Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and Asshole Face of the New Orleans Saints were considered the highest-paid coaches at $8 million annually, putting Tomlin somewhere just north of $7 million per year.

Since then, salaries have jumped appreciably.

Jon Gruden received a 10-year, $100 million contract to return to the Oakland Raiders. Carroll signed a new deal with the Seahawks for an estimated $11 million annually. And Baltimore Ravens bench boss John Harbaugh, whose record is not comparable to Tomlin’s, was given a new contract in January worth an estimated $9 million a year.

Tomlin, the third-longest tenured head coach in the league, has more regular-season victories (125) than any coach except New England’s Bill Belichick (261) and Kansas City’s Andy Reid (195). But Tomlin has averaged 10.41 victories in his 12 seasons with the Steelers, nearly identical to Belichick (10.44), who has been a head coach for 25 years, and better than Reid (9.75), who is entering his 21st season.

If he is to remain near the top of his profession financially, Tomlin’s next deal should be somewhere between $9 million and $10 million annually. But, after early endings to the 2017 and 2018 seasons, is the time to extend his contract now? It probably will be, given the Steelers history of coaching stability.

Nobody, though, would blame Rooney if he decided to wait.

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bill O'Brien should be on this list because I could see the Texans and O'Brien parting ways because I don't see them making post season this year.

BOB needs to be a HC, and not a HC/OC. He is such a jerk of a coach, and yeah they won the division last year, it's really more that Deshaun and Nuke won it for them. BOB but Deshaun in horrible situations with that horrible OL last year. Not sure it got better this year TBH. L

I wonder about Tomlin. Is it him or Big Ben. Rumors floated that he is not in control of the team. The AB drama as an example. He looks like a tough guy but, is he really?

It's neither. The 2 biggest loudmouths are gone. And judging by how those 2 have been even AFTER they got their wish and no longer on the Steelers, are still acting like douchebags one way or another.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's neither. The 2 biggest loudmouths are gone. And judging by how those 2 have been even AFTER they got their wish and no longer on the Steelers, are still acting like douchebags one way or another.

But those two loudmouths sure were good.....Steelers defense seems to be getting better, but I'm betting they struggle a tad scoring this year as I'm not as big on Conner as others, but 4th round pick Benny Snell is intriguing, overall, I believe the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens will supersede the Pittsburgh gang this year, which will be great for Steeler Nation.