NFL Coaches Who Will Be on the Hot Seat Entering the 2019 Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/nfl...mlin-cowboys-jason-garrett-any-surprises.html

NFL Coaches Who Will Be on the Hot Seat Entering the 2019 Season

As you get ready for the 2019 NFL season, let’s take a look at our early head coach hot seat rankings. These go from coolest seat to hottest seat, as things look right now.

11. Bill O’Brien, Texans: The biggest long-shot entry on this list. The Texans won 11 games last year, but they lost in the wild-card round. O’Brien has made the playoffs in three of his five seasons in Houston, but he has two one-and-done trips, and is 1-1 in the other appearance, 2016, when he bowed out in the divisional round.

10. Sean McDermott, Bills: This is just his third season with the Bills. And in 2017, he won nine games and broke a 17-year playoff drought. That counts for a lot in Buffalo. We think it’s unlikely he gets fired after 2019. But quarterback Josh Allen will need to improve. The Bills went 6-10 last season, in his rookie year.

9. Doug Marrone, Jaguars: He will need to show improvement in 2019, now that the Jaguars have upgraded at quarterback by replacing Blake Bortles with Nick Foles. Marrone, after all, is an offensive-minded head coach. This is Marrone’s third year in Jacksonville. He went to the AFC Championship Game in Year 1, but stumbled to five wins last year.

8. Kyle Shanahan, 49ers: Will he be able to win more if Jimmy Garoppolo stays healthy? That’s the big question for Shanahan in 2019. He is 6-2 in games Garoppolo has started, compared to 4-20 in games he hasn’t. After six and four total wins in Shanahan’s first two seasons, it’s time for some progress in Year 3.

7. Dan Quinn, Falcons: Atlanta was disappointing last season — 7-9. But the Falcons did win 10 and 11 games in the previous two seasons. In 2016, they lost in the Super Bowl. In 2017, they went 1-1 in the playoffs and lost in the divisional round. Matt Ryan’s championship window isn’t getting any bigger, though. Quinn needs to produce results in 2019.

6. Mike Tomlin, Steelers: If the Steelers don’t make the playoffs in 2019, Tomlin could be a goner. The bar has simply been set too high for success in Pittsburgh. Last season’s no-playoffs 9-6-1 result won’t cut it. Yes, Tomlin made the playoffs in each of the previous four seasons, in which he won 13, 11, 10, and 11 games. But he failed to reach the Super Bowl during that stretch — and reached the AFC title game just once.

5. Jason Garrett, Cowboys: Jerry Jones has been exceedingly patient with Garrett, but the 2019 Cowboys have a tremendous amount of talent, and they need to make some serious waves in the NFC. Garrett is a lame-duck coach, entering the final year of his contract. He is coming off a 10-6 season and has reached the playoffs in three of the past five years, with a divisional round loss each time. It’s probably NFC title game or bust now.

4. Matt Patricia, Lions: A brutal debut season for him in Detroit last year, as the Lions went 6-10 and he didn’t make many friends in the media or fanbase with how he handled himself. Could the Lions cut bait after just two seasons? Considering what they’re paying quarterback Matthew Stafford, they should expect a lot better than six wins.

3. Mike Zimmer, Vikings: Another guy whose quarterback, Kirk Cousins, is making a ton of money. After reaching the NFC title game without Cousins in 2017, the Vikings went 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs with him in 2018. Not nearly good enough, especially considering they went 13-3 in 2017. If the Vikings miss the playoffs again this year, Zimmer is probably gone.

2. Jay Gruden, Washington: Will he get a mulligan if he starts a rookie quarterback, Dwayne Haskins? Well, that didn’t exactly work out for the Jets’ Todd Bowles last season. Gruden went 7-9 in each of the past two seasons. He has one playoff trip in five seasons with Washington. If he replicates what Bowles did with Sam Darnold last year (4-12), expect Gruden to get canned. Maybe not fair, but that’s how things go in today’s NFL.

1. Ron Rivera, Panthers: He has an established quarterback, Cam Newton, but hasn’t done enough in the past three seasons — seven wins last season and six in 2016. In between, he won 11 games in 2017 and lost in the wild-card round. The 15-1 season of 2015, which ended with a Super Bowl loss, feels like a distant memory now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I obviously don’t follow the Lions super close, so surprised by the comments on Matt Patricia.

Turning over your HC every 2yrs doesn’t sound like a winning formula.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm shocked that Shurmur isn't on the list. I can definitely see him getting fired if he has another terrible season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm shocked that Shurmur isn't on the list. I can definitely see him getting fired if he has another terrible season.

Two more years for Gettleman & Shurmur, then they will be jettisoned out of New York and replaced by a younger regime.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I obviously don’t follow the Lions super close, so surprised by the comments on Matt Patricia.

They will give Patricia the time, he chose the Lions because of GM Bob Quinn, Patricia will get a full three years and I actually think the Lions will be better in 2019.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bill O'Brien should be on this list because I could see the Texans and O'Brien parting ways because I don't see them making post season this year. I like some of the others teams in their division. If some of the other Head Coaches are fired like Ron Rivera (which could happen because of the new owner) and Mike Tomlin, they will be hired quickly. Tomlin in Minnesota if the Vikings struggle again under Zimmer and Riverboat Ron in Washington.

Rainram

Starter
I still got my eye on Rivera as a future DC candidate. I’d take a look at Quinn too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah! ~ Cardinals.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or you can cut the leash on a bad hire when you see it instead of letting it linger. Like the previous HC before McVay, right?
But don’t all trigger happy front office execs say that (good and bad).?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Or you can cut the leash on a bad hire when you see it instead of letting it linger. Like the previous HC before McVay, right?

Touché.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
About every other year Mike Tomlin’s name gets brought up as being on the hot seat. I’ll believe it when I see it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

while you're technically correct, the rams needed a coach like fisher to drag them up to being average. but not good enough to have winning seasons. that way they could stockpile good players before hiring a coach that can take them to the playoffs every year.

they were a barren landscape when fisher took over. there was no quick fix. i'm not even sure the owner wanted one. fisher was the perfect coach for him at that time.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
while you're technically correct, the rams needed a coach like fisher to drag them up to being average. but not good enough to have winning seasons. that way they could stockpile good players before hiring a coach that can take them to the playoffs every year.

they were a barren landscape when fisher took over. there was no quick fix. i'm not even sure the owner wanted one. fisher was the perfect coach for him at that time.

My impression was that barring an absolute disaster, they wanted him to coach at least the first year after the move for stability's sake. And he did do some things well - just couldn't handle a modern offense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You BASTID! ~Spags

Ram65

Legend
4. Matt Patricia, Lions: A brutal debut season for him in Detroit last year, as the Lions went 6-10 and he didn’t make many friends in the media or fan base with how he handled himself. Could the Lions cut bait after just two seasons? Considering what they’re paying quarterback Matthew Stafford, they should expect a lot better than six wins.

Really. He just got started. Stafford has not been a winner. Patricia gave the Rams some problems. He will be a very good head coach.

6. Mike Tomlin, Steelers: If the Steelers don’t make the playoffs in 2019, Tomlin could be a goner. The bar has simply been set too high for success in Pittsburgh. Last season’s no-playoffs 9-6-1 result won’t cut it. Yes, Tomlin made the playoffs in each of the previous four seasons, in which he won 13, 11, 10, and 11 games. But he failed to reach the Super Bowl during that stretch — and reached the AFC title game just once.

I wonder about Tomlin. Is it him or Big Ben. Rumors floated that he is not in control of the team. The AB drama as an example. He looks like a tough guy but, is he really?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wonder about Tomlin. Is it him or Big Ben. Rumors floated that he is not in control of the team. The AB drama as an example. He looks like a tough guy but, is he really?

Pittsburgh seems really weird right now.

I can’t make sense of the in-fighting... hard to imagine the QB being the sole reason, but also hard to imagine Tomlin as the problem with as much success as that team has had.

Weird.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pittsburgh seems really weird right now.

I can’t make sense of the in-fighting... hard to imagine the QB being the sole reason, but also hard to imagine Tomlin as the problem with as much success as that team has had.

Weird.

I could see a change looming and the Steelers usually go young at Head Coach and build....Tomlin could end up in Houston or Minnesota depending on which team struggles most as to the Steelers, well, IMO, it could be Josh McDaniels or Mike McCarthy, but that's without factoring in any college Head Coaches as Baylor's Matt Rhule could be a dark horse, but I see Rhule in New York with the Giants after 2020.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TBH most of thought he stuck around too long, five years isn't really cutting the leash. We were ready for a change sooner, at least a few of us were.