NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 3/1/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
********************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_7?Page=0

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

Just saw the Freeman tweet concerning Manning to the Rams. You don't believe it for a minute, do you?!?!?

The Rams were dropping hints about going after Manning a few weeks ago, at least someone did to me. But it's hard to believe that Manning would want to play for an offense with such a conservative approach as the Rams. The Rams certainly have the money to go after him; and if they want to make a splash during their opening year in LA _ well, I think that would do it.
-------------
I keep reading and hearing that the Jaguars to London in 3-5 years is going to happen. Do you see it that quickly?

I don't see it happening at all unless they can invent a jet that can go from the East Coast to London in two hours. The logistics are just too tough.
---------
Up to you, who do you franchise, #21 or #22?

It's a tough call. But I think I'd go Johnson.
------------
My question is this: Do we know what games will be shown on local TV? Will we get a steady diet of Chiefs? Bears? Colts? Titans? I’m not lining the NFL’s pockets to buy the NFL Ticket and I can’t see rooting for a team that I won’t be able to watch. Who decides this, the local affiliates? Or does the league decide what games each region sees?

it's up to the local affiliates, and I would think the local FOX station would start out with the Rams and see what the ratings are.
-----------
Do you think we end up losing Jenkins? Or, was his tweet just a posturing signal for the Rams to up the ante?

No, I think Jenkins wants to get paid. And will basically go to the highest bidder unless he's franchised.
-------------
Do you find it at all strange that the website for the St.Louis Post Dispatch seems to hosting what's basically a chat for a Los Angeles based nfl franchise (going by the questions asked)? Do you still consider yourself to be on the "rams beat"?

How do you know if the questions are coming from Rams fans in St. Louis or LA? Let me what you find out. This is an NFL chat and open to all questions on the NFL. I'm sure some of the LA Rams fans are leaning on my expertise now simply because I've covered the team for 21 years. I'm sure that will change over time.
---------
If Jeff Fisher's first version of the Oilers went 7-9, his second (and last) version went 8-8, and his first two teams in Tennessee went 8-8, I don't see what management sees in his one-time experience of moving a team. To keep it from sliding to 6 - 10?

I'm not arguing with you. It's all pretty puzzling to me as well.
-------------
Do you feel that Sean Mannion will get a chance to earn a spot on the Rams roster next season?

Oh, he'll be on the roster. Can't see the Rams giving him up after one season.
--------
Bills released Mario Williams today. Do you think the Rams make a play for him?

Nope
--------
Do you think Cook, Long and Lauranitis end up somewhere else and where do you see them ending up?

Yes, I think they all find new homes. As you probably know, Laurinaitis is visiting New Orleans today; Long will start making visits after birth of his child (which is due Weds.), as for Cook _ I haven't heard anything on him. That's all I know.
-------
Is Akeem Ayers contracted to return in '16?
If not, do you think we have a depth issue at LB?

Yes, he is. And I do think the Rams need to add a linebacker or two in the draft or via free agency.
--------
I asked you a question on here several months ago, which I would of course not expect you to remember, but it implied that the Rams have no class with respect to how they treat fans, players, and media. You asked me to give any examples I had. Of course, I didn't have any, and was hoping you did, actually.

But do you have any comments to this point now? Outside of the St. Louis bashing, I've got to believe, if nothing else, you've compared notes with other beat writers over the years. Are the Rams as bad as I'm guessing or they pretty much run like any other team with how they treat players, fans, and the media?

Your question is very broad, and therefore tough to answer definitely. What the Rams did to St. Louis in terms of moving certainly fits your description of having no class. Especially with the owner saying nothing to the market over the past 4 years, plus the way St. Louis was denigrated in the relocation application. I don't know what else you want me to say.

In terms of the media, St. Louis was one of the few franchises in the NFL in which basically all of practice was open to the media. The PR staff went out of its way to make players available. Yes, in some ways access became more limited over time, but that's kind of the way of the world in the NFL today.
--------
Do you see st. Louis either getting the Raiders or the Jaguars. We need a team and we are hungry for a winner

I just don't see it happening at this point. Not in the near future.
--------
By releasing Long and Lauranitus early, have the Rams given Barron and Hayes a lot more leverage in negotiations?

Maybe to a degree. But I think Barron and especially Hayes want to stay with the Rams, so I don't see it being a big issue.
--------
Manning to the Rams ... I don't get why either side would be interested in the other. Manning is clearly well past his prime, and only getting older. The Rams aren't nearly good enough to carry him to another Super Bowl ring. Why would either side want the other?

I agree with you on the Manning side. As for the Rams, they want to get everyone's attention in LA, and this might do it. Even in his current state, they might feel Manning would be the ultimate caretaker type to guide a team dependent on defense and the running game.
----------
Not so sure why everyone gets so hung up on the logistics of a London based NFL team.

Simply have the team play 4 consecutive home games in the UK, then come to the US to their own training facility and play 4 consecutive road games. It could work. Not sure if the players would enjoy it, but they would only have 2 trips to the US during the regular season.

Does that sound reasonable to you?

That's a lot of travel. And a lot of extra cost to basically have two training facilities _ one in the U.S. and one in the UK. And what about weekly player tryouts? What about the cost of living in London? What about flying in free agents, or trying out draft prospects? Where would you hold OTAs, spring minicamps, etc?
--------
What do you think about Tree being our MLB? In the past our defense against the run has been weak at times. Do you think this will make it even weaker or stronger?

Ogletree isn't really a shed-the-blocker type of player. He's more of a run-around-the-blocker type of guy. Not sure how that will work playing inside.
---------
Any threat Benny C. leaves us? He's a restricted FA, right?

I think he stays with a minimum tender.
----------
Who are the starting LB this coming opening game?

Barron on the weakside, Ogletree in the middle, Ayers on the strong side.
----------
How about the Rams looking to reach extensions with their coaching staff? What type of world does the front office live in? Such a joke

it's a very short list of head coaches who have gotten a fifth year after four consecutive losing seasons _ much less get an extension.
----------
Rumors of an extension for Jeff Fisher? Are the Rams stupid, insane, or stupid AND insane?

I can see why, to a degree, that the Rams didn't want to change head coaches while moving to LA. The timing of the relocation vote, etc., would've made it much more difficult to get a top-flight candidate. But the whole extension thing doesn't make a ton of sense. Having a lame-duck head coach doesn't have as much impact in attracting free agents as say it would for a coach in college football when it came to signing recruits.
----------
Over/under for how many years it takes before LA stops caring about the Rams again (such as first year they have no sell outs).

Maybe longer than you think because there will be a double-bump. The first couple of years out there (playing in the Coliseum) and then after the new stadium opens.
----------
Jim, any idea what John Shaw's take was during the whole relocation process? Did he envision the Rams going back to LA someday or did he think the Rams were here to stay in STL when they moved here back in 95. Any idea on his view point of all this?

I talked to John a couple of times during the relocation process, but it was an off-the-record deal and I'm not the kiss-and-tell type. But regardless of what you might think, he did feel bad for the fans of St. Louis. He did, after all, win a Super Bowl there.
-----------
What would you change (if anything) to improve instant replay?

I for one, think replay is intrusive enough. I don't think I'd add any more situations or scenarios for replay to judge _ just more cameras and camera angles to get a better view of some plays.
--------
I understand that Dline is the deepest position in this draft? Do you agree? Regardless, given the Chris Long cut and likely free agency losses (Fairley), should we expect the Rams to draft Dline?

They very well could, especially at D-tackle if Fairley doesn't come back. D-tackle is thought to be especially deep in the draft.
--------
I still think we should look at a receiving TE and a big (one who can separate at the line) receiver. I'd like to see us throw more vertical this year for more big plays

I haven't really studied the free agent lists yet, but it's not a very good year for tight ends in the draft.
---------
Teams don't let winning QBs go. The Rams will likely have to go after an unknown in the draft or free agency. Are there any under the radar free agent QBs you think Rams may target?

I don't know if you'd call him under the radar, but Chase Daniel would be intriguing to me.
---------
If the Rams had been successful on the field like playoff teams and the dome would have been full. Would they still have moved or would have been allowed to move?

I'll answer it this way: Do you think Lucas Oil Stadium would be standing today without Peyton Manning? Or if the Greatest Show on Turf was taking place now instead of 15 years ago?
---------
According to USA Today Tru has been tagged

Yes, I see that several are now tweeting that it's Trumaine Johnson who is getting tagged. So I guess the person who told me several weeks ago that the team was thinking of tagging Johnson _ which we mentioned on this chat several weeks ago _ knew what he was talking about. But instead of the transition tag, it's apparently the franchise tag.

And why not franchise? For a little more money, you get the insurance of two first-round draft picks if you don't match. There is no draft-pick compensation if you don't match on a transition tag.
----------
Jim...are you still working out of Rams Park? What the state out there? Are most people gone by now or is there still a big crowd?

I've been in and out. Remember, I was out of town for most of the last week at the combine. It's pretty depressing out there. All the pictures down from the walls. Parking lot half empty _ no need for the people who aren't making the trip to LA to be out there. Even in the media room, all the chairs are out of the room, except there still was one at my desk. (At least that was the case last time I was out there.)
--------
What are the limitations, if any, on signing players to a long term deal once they've been tagged? What are the limitations, if any, on using the tag, next year? What are the limitations, if any, on using the transition tag now that the Rams have use the Franchise tag on T. Johnson?

You can only use a transition tag or a franchise tag in a year - you can't use both. Rams can still use the franchise or transition tag next year. I believe the deadline is July 15 for signing franchise or transition tag players.
----------
Do you think that Janoris' attitude played anything in Tru getting franchised?

No doubt.
---------
Here's what I don't understand about the owners not wanting expansion: add 4 teams with 6 divisions of 6, put teams in Toronto, STL, San Antonio/Mexico City/London/other, raise fees by more than usual the next time TV contracts are up due to added fan interest in new markets, and negotiate new contracts with foreign TV networks? How hard is that? And scheduling can always be worked out. The NFL has had 31 teams at one point after all.

I like what you're saying, but are there enough players to go around for all this?
---------
Considering you've been on a Rams-specific beat for the past 20+ years, how comfortable are you in terms of answering questions about and covering the entire NFL in general, especially if you get questions as specific as the ones you've gotten about the Rams on a weekly basis?

Well, it's a different dynamic. While I think I have a good general knowledge of the league, I'm certainly not as well-versed on team-by-team details. It's an adjustment process, to be sure. It was even different at the combine, writing more about local players (Mizzou guys/Ezekiel Elliott) and more on broader-interest topics (Wentz/Goff at QB, for example/the Fuller Bros. of Va. Tech) and less on Rams. But it was fun.
---------
Looking back, what was the best win and worst loss in the 2015 season?

Winning at Seattle for the first time since 2004 _ that was a very happy locker room that day; losing at Baltimore and blowing a 10-point lead in the second half.
----------
Better QB: Manning or Brady? Manning's got gaudier stats, but in more QB-friendly systems/stadiums/offensive teammates. Brady's got more rings, but had the best coach of the last 30 years behind him every step of the way.

Tough, tough call. As much as it pains me, I think I have to go with Brady based on number of Super Bowl rings (even w/possibility of cheating factored in).
--------
Do you think for the near future at least it will be easier to acquire better free agents. Since they are in LA now?

I don't think locale has a whole lot to do with it in the NFL. It's all about the money at this level, with the coaching staff (particularly the head coach) a distant second.
---------
Will you keep us updated on the Isaac Bruce flag football festivity at the Dome at America's Center? I'd love to attend; maybe it can be an annual thing if circumstances allow. Keep football in St. Louis in some way and remembering STL Cards and Rams.

I sure will. They are still working to finalize the June 25 date. If it takes place on that day, I think even Long and Laurinaitis will attend, because their OTAs will be over.
---------
Here's an oldie...after Linehan went 8-8 in his first season and started to look like he knew what he was doing, what happened that made things go south and all the players dislike him? It seemed like slowly but surely the situation was becoming worse and worse for Scott, but I can't pinpoint what exactly happened or if there was a turning point that caused his demise (aside from injuries to an aging core). Have you gotten to speak to him since he left?

Yeah, things looked pretty rosy after that strong finish in '06 _ winning the last 3 games to finish 8-8. A couple of things; Linehan just couldn't handle losing. He should have let Greg Olson continue to call the plays. The roster was aging. I talked to him briefly at the Senior bowl a couple of years ago, but that was about it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thomas made a comment a few weeks back that shaw had fallen out of Stan's circle.

Now he tells us that he and shaw had several off the record private conversations but of course Jim proclaims that he is "not the kiss n tell type". What a load of shit that is.

Go ahead a trust shaw Jimbo... and tell us just the parts you want to because that's not kissing and telling. STFU

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
JT still refuses to put any blame on St. Louis politicians or the stadium authority for the Rams moving. Kroenke would never have been able to move the team had the CVC followed the letter of the lease they signed to bring them to St. Louis. The CVC, RSA, Nixon, Peacock and a lot of the media in St. Louis KNEW that and still went about trying to portray they could keep the Rams, and THAT was a dirty trick to play on fans, giving them false hope. Kroenke gets all the hatred, when St. Louisians, had they been told the truth of the matter from the outset, should be mad as hell with their politicians and the RSA.