NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 2/23/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
**************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_6?Page=0

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

Are players and coaches still working in St. Louis facilities?

Coaches still working at Rams Park and will do so for about another month. Players don't have to be around this time of year _ the offseason conditioning program doesn't start until April 18 for a team like the Rams that is returning its head coach. However, players can come in voluntarily to work out or work with the athletic trainers. Laurinaitis was in the building last Friday when he found out he was being released.
---------
So is the Rams staff working out of trailers in California?

They're still at Rams Park in suburban St. Louis for another month.
-----------
So stan is paying $2B for the stadium, $550M for relocation, who knows how much for a facility, moving the team/staff ... what do you suppose a PSL has to cost to not only pay for that, but make a profit?

There have been reports that the stadium will now cost in excess of $2.5 billion. So yeah, I think there will be sticker shock_ even by LA standards _ when those PSL prices come out in a couple of years for the Inglewood stadium. I think $250 was the cheapest PSL for the Edward Jones Dome back in '95.
---------
Just an FYI from the West Coast: So far, I'm getting my Rams news first from your website. Literally. Another example was last week, when the Long-Laurinaitis news was posted on your site before anybody out here had anything.

Well, thank you. But I'm sure the LA media will get up to speed the closer we get to the games starting in 2016. And I'm sure the LA media will be at the Combine in force this week. I'm leaving tonight for Indy.
-----------
Rams fan from New England area. So I don't get to see a lot of games. What is the real deal on Laurianitis. It cant's just be about money. Was he really starting to fade? Hard to believe he is cut, and Saffold is still here. Him and long will both be more than welcome on the Patriots.

Laurinaitis was never the fastest runner or hardest hitter. But he is smart, productive, durable, and versatile. He is still only 29 years old, and didn't miss any games, but did have nagging injuries in 2014 (ankle/foot) and 2015 (elbow). I think the Rams feel Ogletree will give them a more athletic presence in the middle.
-----------
Olgletree and Barron will be fun to watch, Do you think the Rams miss Laurinaitus , I think it was a good move, The LA media will be picking your brain JIM!

Yes, I think there's a lot of potential in those two playing side-by-side. The Rams will be a little undersized at LB though. I think the Rams will miss Laurinaitis' leadership and savvy. As for the LA media, if the situation were reversed, I'd be doing the same.
-----------
Shouldn’t Kroenke get some credit for what he accomplished? He relocated an entire multi-million franchise and is responsible for the construction of a 1 billion dollar facility. How many people could have done that? I understand that he’s a cold, calculated, unemotional business man, but doesn’t the world need people like that in order to move mountains?

OK, so he shunned St Louis, and would not speak to the media. Neither one of those was illegal. I think you need to hand it to him for what he accomplished. How many people were willing to put their neck on the line and do what he did? My guess would be not many. I respect the man.

He put his "neck on the line" to make more money. To double the value of his franchise. I don't think you get medals for that. And I don't think you get medals for turning your back on a city, and ripping the city on the way out. I think he probably gets what he wants _ the votes to move to LA _ without taking the low road w/respect to how he portrayed St. Louis as a dying market.
----------
With the recent cap cuts this past week, does that leave them enough cap room to resign their own plus make a free agent splash?

Yes. Look at it this way. Assuming the Rams re-sign Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod, Barron, Hayes, Sims _ and pay them all an average of $7 million a year _ that will cost the Rams about $39 million in cap space.

That still leaves $25 million-plus. (And I think it's a safe bet they won't sign all six, and it's an even safer bet that they would average under $7 million a year even if they all were signed.) Now beyond those six players, there are other UFAs such as Zuerlein, Quick, Harkey, Fairley, but they won't sign them all and that group won't be nearly as expensive.
---------
So? What's wrong with making more money? Everyone has the right to do that no matter what your financial status is.

Well, make it building another strip mall. Why do you have to rip a franchise out of a town. Kroenke has now played a major role in doing that twice. The Rams never would have left Anaheim in 1995 if Kroenke hadn't decided that he could make much more money in St. Louis _ at least in the short term _ than by staying in southern California as a minority investor.

Now, after helping to run the franchise into the ground in St. Louis, he has left in locust-like fashion for greener pastures back in LA. I wonder if the league will let him move out of LA again if he finds a better deal elsewhere in 15 years?
-----------
Where do he following end up next season; RG3, Johnny FB, Bradford and Cousins?

My best guesses, Bradford stays in Philly; Cousins stays in Washington; Johnny FB doesn't have a job at the start of the season: RGIII _ let's say Los Angeles.
------------
Any idea where Long ends up? Chicago with his brother?

I don't think it'll be Chicago. The Bears run a 3-4 alignment, and it's difficult to see Long making the switch this far along in his career after playing so many years in a 4-3.
----------
Will you still cover the NFL without a team in town?

Yes, our thought is that the NFL is big enough that even without a team in town we will continue to cover it. It will be different and not quite as intensive as it was with a team in town. But we will still have an NFL presence. I will be at the combine this week, the NFL owners meetings in March, attend a couple of pro days, cover the draft. We'll still do some Rams stuff, but again not nearly as much as if the team were in StL.
-----------
What is your favorite NFL city to visit?

1.) Green Bay; 2.) Seattle. 3.) New Orleans. Also, Kansas City, Chicago, Arizona would have to rate up there
-----------
I have noticed much free agency action not even of teams resigning there own players. Is it me or is this abnormally late?

No, I think it's about the same. We'll see the action pick up after the combine - where agents meeting teams about free agents is almost as important as what goes on with the college draft prospects.
----------
Isn't it a no-brainer that Ogletree takes over at MLB for Rams? Or am I missing something? I appreciated Laturinaitis' career here -- his loyalty and leadership -- but really, wasn't he average at best as an MLB?

Yes, I think that's the plan: Ogletre at MLB. And I think Laurinaitis was better than average _ much better than average in some seasons.
------------
can You share with us what was it last year with then free agent center Wisniewski that eventually led the Rams away from him? He played all 16 games for the Jaguars eventually.

How can I phrase this? They had some doubts about his availability for all 16 games.
------------
I was in la 2 weeks ago. Interesting observations. While some were aware of rams moving, very few cared. Even fewer expressed any interest going to a game and seem quite content following current teams. I know the nfl is a cash cow, but I think its going to take more than demoff and company to raise interest ... how long before demoff is fired?

Well, judging by the response on season-ticket deposits, it looks like there are enough Rams fans in the LA area _ at least for now. I think Demoff is more likely to get a pay raise from Kroenke for helping to orchestrate the move than get fired.
-----------
What players are you most looking forward to seeing at the combine and why?

Carson Wentz the QB from North Dakota State. He really burst onto the scene at the Senior Bowl and now could be the No. 1 QB taken in the draft, and maybe go No. 2 overall. Ezekiel Elliott, the running back from Ohio State (and John Burroughs High in St. Louis). He is head and shoulders the top RB in this draft class. How high does he go? And also just want to get a feel for the top of this defensive line class. It's supposed to be one of the best in years.
-------------
Not so sure about Fitzpatrick for Rams QB, he seems to do really well only with Chan Gailey calling plays. Do the Rams use a similar system? What say you

Not really sure if Gailey's system is similar to what the Rams will use under Boras and new passing game coordinator Groh. I still think Fitz would be an upgrade.
-----------
Do you see the rams making an aggressive offer on Fitzpatrick or Osweiler if either becomes a free agent.?

I would think both would be under consideration if they hit the market.
------------
Odds that Lauranitis, Long and Cook play football next year?

99.8 percent.
---------
Were you surprised that Lauirinatus was cut? That Saffold was kept? What is the salary floor for 2016 and how much more do the Rams need to spend to reach it?

A little bit on Laurinaitis because his cap number wasn't really that high. (About $6.4 million.) As for Saffold maybe they feel they need another veteran's presence on the line. The cap floor is 89% _ but it's my understanding that it's 89% over a four-year period. So the Rams don't have any issues there.
----------
I'm stunned by the Long and Laurinitis cuts. I would've thought deals would've been made there. Are the Rams going to fill those needs in house or go to the draft?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams used a high draft pick on a pass-rushing DE. But if they re-sign Hayes and pair him with Quinn they should be fine, after which they're just looking for rotation players. And as mentioned earlier, Ogletree is expected to play MLB.
----------
Did the Rams cut Laurenitis, Long and Cook to get cap room to make a BIG free agent signing to make a Splash with LA fans. I can understand Cook and Long but I would think Laurenitis still can make a big contribution. I cannot believe that free agent signing would be Peyton Manning if he doesn't go back to the Broncos.

There can be no doubt that having all this cap room available this year was at least partly in anticipation of the move to LA. But I think it also has a lot to do with how many Rams players are scheduled for free agency this year.
-----------
Have you heard any rumors that the UFL is thinking about starting up again? How about the XFL? USFL?

I believe there's a new spring developmental league _ the United States Football League _ gearing up for play.
------------
I grew up with the fearsome foursome, Roman Gabriel, jack Snow et al. Had their posters in my room as a kid. Can still name the rosters of those teams. When they left I wanted them to lose every single game. I hated Georgia. I stopped following the NFL. Am considering being a fan again. Will buy you Iunch here if you come out for a few games. Are they gonna be worth watching?

They need a QB. Need to stay healthy, because frontline players on defense are pretty good. A key, also, is signing at least some of their own free agents.
-------------
Were you surprised with Bradfords success the second half of the season? I thought he never had a chance in St, Louis, you?

Not surprised by his improved play. He played like that in stretches while in St. Louis. He didn't have much around him in St. Louis on offense, that's for sure.
------------
Who is the Rams #1 WR next year?

Probably Austin.
-----------
Do you consider Kevin Demoff a liar?

With the possible exception of telling me a couple of years ago that the original 60-acre purchase in Inglewood was made in large part to spur St. Louis into action I don't believe I can come up with an example of him misleading me, or lying to me. I know there are other examples from public comments or interviews give to other media outlets. I'm sure Kevin will not be remembered fondly here.
------------
I heard Laurinaitis put his house up for sale. I also heard that Kroenke bought the house, cut Laurinaitis, and then tried to sell his house back to him for a profit. Did you hear anything about this?

Laurinaitis' house is up for sale.
-----------
Jim, you're the only writer or media type I've ever heard say that Kroenke was given the option of keeping the Rams in Anaheim. I'd like to see your documentation on that. That one is difficult to believe. Georgia was Georgia, after all.

My source is impeccable on this one. That's all I'll say.
-----------
Your thoughts on TE position? Go with that we have, draft, high FA priority?

I think they need another body now that Cook is gone. It's only an average draft year at tight end.
-----------
Chris Long seemed like both a great player and a well-rounded guy, charity work, other ventures, but it's called No Fun League for a reason. Did his social media prominence work against him when it came time to keep him or cut him? He puts himself out there, perhaps more than Rams executive offices cared for?

I don't think so. While, eccentric, eclectic, and often funny, I think his social media stuff is largely non-controversial. I think it's more a case of his QB-like cap number ($14M), and the fact that they feel William Hayes can handle the starting role.
----------
In your opinion, over/under 10 years the NFL would start to consider expansion? I just can't get over growing up with the NFL and living with the fact that I don't ever see the NFL coming back to STL. I think the only chance STL would play ball is if an expansion team was on the table.

I'm gonna say over. Don't see any appetite in the league for expansion.
----------
Any word on Stedman Bailey?

He did a radio interview the other day on the Dan Le Batard Show, which is based I believe out of south Florida. Among the highlights, he said the shooting was "totally random," said he felt no pain after the shooting until he got to the hospital, said he was told right away by doctors that he could make a full recovery, said he's hoping to play in 2016, and planned to do some football drills (the same day of the interview).
----------
Looking back, which is more shocking: Darian Stewart starting in the Super Bowl for another team and getting a ring or tossed aside long ago QB Fitzpatrick that Rams would love sign as a FA if they could?

I guess, I'd say Stewart. He had trouble staying healthy in St. Louis, and wasn't nearly as consistent of a tackler back then as he seems to be now.
---------
How poor of a position is Spanos in now? stan doesn't have to truly negotiate with him and neither does San Diego. The NFL really took care of a long-time NFL family-owned team didn't they?

He's not in an ideal spot. I thought Spanos already had worked out a tentative agreement w/Kroenke and Inglewood after 2016.
----------
Can the Earth City facility be repurposed as a MLS practice facility?

I think the answer to that would be yes. It could be an additional carrot in trying to bring an MLS team here.
-----------
I'd rather see RG3 in LA than Bradford. Wouldn't he fit the Rams offense better? No really good wide receivers...

Can't see the Rams going down the Bradford road again.
----------
Any chance the rams could move saffold to C? They do need a vet starter on the OL, his cap number isnt terrible, would be able to move to another ol position if an injury occured.

Can't see center.
---------
Hey quick question, are you covering the Chiefs or regional teams at all next season?

We're still talking about what we'll do for game coverage, but I know there will be at least some. Arrowhead Stadium is a great place to watch a game. The Sea of Red is a great venue.
-----------
Do you think Jerry Jones will ever hire a GM? He hasn't exactly produced stellar results in that role.

No one seems to care in Dallas. The Cowboys have been a .500 franchise for more than a decade.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why can't anyone spell Laurinaitis correctly?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll take a stab at it. Laziness? Stupidity? Too much alcohol? Bad eyesight? Fat fingers?
Laziness (with a dash of stupidity), probably. I mean, if you're a fan, you've seen the name on the back of his jersey for 7 years now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like we're supposed to remember how to spell every former Ram's name