NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 1/26/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_2?Page=0

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

Are you still going to cover the Rams Jim?

Well, for the near future the answer is yes. Now we won't cover the team as if they were still in St. Louis, but they will still get some coverage. For example, I wrote a story last week about Todd Gurley being named Pro Football Writers Rookie of the Year. In today's paper, I had a story about Mike Groh being named new passing game coordinator _ in fact, I broke the story.

And I just posted a story on how Kroenke made contradictory remarks about when he was first interested in Inglewood in an LA Times interview two weeks ago. (The league, Kroenke, and the Rams said very different things two years ago at the Super Bowl.) I'm also working on some Hall of Fame stories regarding Pace, Warner, Bruce and Holt.

No, the P-D certainly won't be covering every game. I would guess we'll be at the home opener and maybe an odd game here or there, but that's it.
---------
Hey Jim - what's a scorned STL Rams fan to do? If you had your pick which team would you pick up on out of these options: Chiefs, Bears, or Colts? Also, is there any weight to either of the lawsuits for the PSL holders that are being presented?

This is a very interesting topic to me. Maybe we should conduct a Post-Dispatch poll to see if fans have a preference. As for the two lawsuits, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not the best person to ask. We'll see.
--------
what has the dropoff been in volume of questions for these chats in the last two weeks vs. what it had been normally?

Actually, as far as I can tell we've had as many if not more questions on these chats since the vote came down in Houston. I guess part of the reason is that people want to vent. I would guess that as time goes down the volume will drop as this becomes more of an NFL chat and less of a Rams chat.
--------
What are your thoughts on the Rams Inglewood stadium? You have to admit, it is quite magnificent.

By all accounts, it's going to be a fabulous stadium/complex. Kroenke knows how to do real estate _ there's no doubt about that.
--------
Do you think St. Louis can be home to three sports teams?

I certainly think it can be home to 3 pro teams. I think the market has proved that all along.
----------
Jim, would you consider staying on the beat in LA?

I certainly would listen if approached.
--------
I hate that you're caught in this relocation Jim. It's terrible that it affects this many people. You have any clue as to what you'll focus on next or will you be the next Sam Farmer waiting for the next team?

I think the plans are for me to cover the NFL at-large, although nothing's official at this point. And part of that, yes, would entail being the Sam Farmer of the Midwest.
----------
Do the Rams draft a QB?

I think they need to add a veteran QB to the mix. They already have a young guy in Mannion.
---------
While I certainly don't wish any ill will on the players, I will still be rooting for the Rams to lose every game. That's my new favorite team, whoever is playing the Rams!

Somehow I get the feeling you won't be the Lone Ranger on this. For the most part I wish nothing but the best for the players. There are a lot of high-character, hard-working players on that squad who deserve to be on a winning team.
---------
What is the precedent with the retired numbers? Do they still stay retired in LA?

I would think once retired, always retired. The only question to me, is how will the "St. Louis" Rams retired jerseys be displayed once the new Inglewood stadium opens.
--------
Why are the relocation guidelines even put into place if the owners are just going to ignore them and let greed win?

That's a great question. How can the league in good conscious _ even Goodell and Grubman _ state that the Rams met relocations guidelines. We all know that's not the case. The guidelines are a joke. If the league, Kroenke, and Demoff had said all along: "Hey, we've got a chance to build a fabulous stadium in in LA, if you don't come up w/a sparkling plan of your own, we're out of St. Louis."

I think that would've made it easier to stomach for St. Louis than having focus groups, town hall meetings, relocation guidelines, etc. St. Louis has a right to feel misled through this entire process.
---------
Do you anticipate Kroenke being more visible at Rams home games now, even at the Colosseum? And, do you think he will address the fans and media on a consistent basis now or crawl back in his hole?

In terms of interviews and press conferences that already seems to be the case w/Kroenke. I don't think he'll ever be a visible as, say, a Jerry Jones. But he's a hero to many in LA for bringing back the NFL _ why wouldn't he be more visible there?
--------
Do you think Brian Quick will make the roster this season?

The Rams do have some interest in re-signing him. But obviously they're not going to throw a lot of money at him.
---------
I feel like a part of my life has died these past two weeks. It's an empty feeling not having a professional team in St.Louis to root for from my favorite sport. I'm so angry at the NFL executives and owners for pulling out of this market I won't be following any NFL ever again.. short of possibly getting another team.

I plan on becoming a Mizzou fan. Any suggestions how I make this transition? I've never been much on college football.

Yeah, these are tough times. Maybe you'll change your mind on the NFL once the 2016 season approaches. If not, college football is fun to watch and there's nothing like the SEC. Most Mizzou games are on TV. We have a great Mizzou beat writer in Dave Matter to keep you up to date on the team. If you attend the games in Columbia, I'm sure the tickets will be cheaper. And tailgating, is tailgating, no matter where you're at.
---------
How much does it cost a player who gives a fan a football during the game? Do you expect the Billionaire owners in the No Fun League to rule against this flagrant practice in the future

I know it used to be a small fine for throwing the ball in the stands _ a safety issue. Don't know if its a fine for handing the ball off. I know this has become an issue since just about every child in Charlotte seems to be getting a football these days. I'll try to check on this.
--------
What position do the Rams address in free agency?

I think that answer lies to a large degree in which of their own free agents they re-sign. Three of the 4 starters in the secondary (Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod) are up, and so is safety/linebacker Mark Barron. If, for example, the Rams lose a couple of those guys, they'll have to look for help at cornerback/safety. Also both backup defensive ends are pending free agents (Hayes, Sims).

Does Chris Long (and his high cap number) come back? Because of pending free agency the Rams also could be looking for a place-kicker and a fullback. But there's no doubt, a veteran QB and veteran outside WR would help _ not that they're easy to find in free agency.
---------
Will any ST LOUIS ram be elected to to the pro football HOF this year? Do any of th the St Louis media get to vote on this?

I will be very surprised if Pace doesn't get in. Then again, I was surprised last year when he didn't get in. I think it will be tougher for Warner this year because Brett Favre is eligible for the first time. Bernie Miklasz is the St. Louis voter and does an excellent job. Our town's Howard Balzer also is an at-large voter.
--------
Dan O' Neill's piece, "Losing the Rams" was one of the finest opinions I have read about how we really should be looking at the Rams relocation. It was grounded in fact and not emotionalism and so it was spot on in its clarity. By the way, I recently checked into an online subscription to the LA Times.

They want $207.50 a year for me to be able to stay up on the Rams! I realize the Post-Dispatch is not the Times in terms of their business models, but I'll have to look for another LA medium to cover the Rams. Any ideas for those of us die hard fans?

There's also the Orange County Register and the LA Daily News.
---------
When is the deadline or drop dead date for the Peacock/Blitz plan? Just in case in the near future some team has overtures toward the STL.

Will have to look into that. Right now, it looks like St. Louis leadership doesn't have much interest in continuing this NFL quest.
----------
When do you think is the earliest that the NFL will be trying to expand (expansion teams) ?

At this point, there seems to be absolutely no interest in the NFL in expansion. For the simple reason that the TV pie, lucrative as it is, would have to be split into two more slices.
---------
Are you surprised by the Mike Groh move? Not surprised in the sense that it is any great departure from what Fisher has done the past 4 years but because he didn't do more? Shurmur chose to be the Vikings TE coach over the Rams OC?

Just mildly surprising. As you alluded to, Fisher doesn't always do the expected when it comes to staff additions. He did like what Rob Boras did stepping in for CIgnetti the last 4 games of the season _ and got good feedback from the players. But he wanted to add some passing game expertise and feels Groh will bring that.

Shurmur's already worked for the Rams once; maybe he didn't want to do so twice particularly with Fisher currently in the last year of his contract. Maybe Shurmur's not an LA type of guy (just kidding). Minnesota looks like an up-and-coming team under Zimmer and he can work with Norv Turner there.
----------
What are your thoughts on the new passing game coordinator?

He worked with Marc Trestman and Adam Gase in Chicago, so he's been exposed to some pretty good offensive minds there. Has worked w/Saban (at Alabama). Son of an NFL and college head coach (Al Groh). Played QB in the ACC. From the reaction to his departure in Chicago, it sounds like he was a valued assistant with the Bears.
----------
Can you just go ahead and provide more coverage of the Chiefs, Colts, and Bears since they have regional interest to go along with your Rams coverage? Write just as much, only spread the love. I could see how that might wear you thin though.

I think that's the plan, or at least the beginnings of a plan. Perhaps w/a sprinkle of Titans as well since they're so close as well. But again, nothing official at this point.
----------
As far as the Rams go, the only thing I really care about is that Guys like Pace, Warner, Holt, and Bruce get into the Hall of Fame..... It would be terrible if the Rams move hurt their chances.....

I think Pace and Warner get in pretty quickly _ this year and next. But I'm truly concerned about Bruce and Holt down the line, particularly if there comes a time down the road that St. Louis doesn't have a voting Hall of Fame representative. Sure, there will be an LA rep to state their case, but this person won't be able to speak as passionately about Bruce and Holt _ not having seen them up close and personal during their time in St. Louis.
---------
On to the Rams, have you had any conversations with Fisher / Snead after the move has been announced - do you have any indications on which way they are leaning in the draft?

I have spoken with Fisher a couple of times since the move, and with Snead once. But no, they haven't given me any indications which way they are leaning in the draft.
--------
Would you rather start fresh with Mannion as the guy or do you have a case for Case?

What I think doesn't matter, but thanks for asking (I would search for the most proven veteran I could get and add him to the mix with Keenum and Mannion.) And I'll just add this: Fisher really likes Case Keenum.
----------
Can you believe the Chargers are STILL up in the air? Can you imagine being a San Diego fan these past few weeks? Does the NFL have any soul?

Yeah, as badly as everyone feels in St. Louis, you do have to feel for those Chargers fans as well. I've never understood why the NFL would risk alienating three markets just to get football back in LA. (Other than driving up the relocation price, that is.)

But no, it doesn't surprise me that the Chargers are still up in the air. Although he may not have a choice in the end, the last thing Spanos wants to do is make a deal w/Kroenke. As I wrote last fall, Spanos tried that once and it didn't work out very well.
--------
I'm still fuzzy on why the NFL wants two teams in LA. They tried that once, and both teams moved. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, I suppose.

I've wondered that myself. There's no doubt a new, sparkling stadium will help, but given LA's past track record of supporting NFL teams I think it's debatable whether two teams will work. Personally, I think one team in LA and keeping the Chargers in San Diego would be the best solution.
----------
Jim, whats up with all these open letters and articles referencing Kroenke/Demoff lying? I mean the ability to keep the Rams was in the CVC/RSA hands. Kroenke had a contract promising him a top tier stadium through 2025. He would have happily and legally had to stay had the terms agreed to by both sides been adhered to.

But yet everyone is crying foul, when he owed nothing to make this work, legally, that was St louis' burden. Then you get the task force to put a stadium plan together, whereby Stan now has to pay $700M of it, when he already was guaranteed a top tier stadium at no cost to him. Come on man, spill all the facts.

Eric, do we really have to go through all this? Why didn't Kroenke/Demoff just say they wanted to leave instead of stringing St. Louis along for a couple of years? We all know what was in in the first-tier clause of the lease, but don't you think the Rams would still be here if Georgia were alive _ or if Shad Khan had been successful purchasing the team? And where in the world are you getting this $700 million figure?

Kroenke was asked to pay only $250 million under the St. Louis plan. And he was not guaranteed a first-tier stadium at no cost to him _ not once the lease was converted to a year-to-year basis. He got the right to go year-to-year and explore his options because St. Louis was unable to meet first-tier requirements. You do see the distinction, don't you?
---------
Any plans for the dome yet? They should really try to get college football and basketball games there.

Well,, they have a few more months to book conventions, tractor pulls, or add college football and basketball events than they did last year at this time.
--------
With the Eagles second rounder, do you think that is the more likely round to see a WR drafted?

At face value that makes more sense. The Tavon Austin selection notwithstanding, I think Fisher in general doesn't like to take WRs in the first round. Especially higher in the first round _ although the Rams obviously aren't picking in the top 10 this year.
---------
Does Zuerlein return?

To be determined. Remember, he's scheduled for unrestricted free agency. And Fisher said at the end of the season that even if Zuerlein were back he planned competition at that position in camp in camp.
-----------
What's the general tenor of the front-line local employees at Rams Park? Any feel for whether they've been offered relocation and corresponding bump in salary for moving to west coast?

Sad times at the Park. To my knowledge, employees are still being informed if they're staying or going. Some want to go, but won't be asked. Others don't want to go, period, but must line up jobs. Boxes being packed. People crying openly.
----------
Just curious, how large is the size of personnel at Rams Park. Also wonder what percentage would be allowed/required to relocate. If you know.

When all is said and done, I'm told about 1/3rd of the current staff at Rams Park will be asked to join the team in LA. (That's excluding coaching staff and scouting department from the equation.) I'm gonna guess maybe about 100 or so employees at Rams Park, excluding again coaching staff.
----------
Think the rams bring back barnes, go FA for C, or draft a new C ?

I think the Rams bring back Barnes _ at the right price. Keep in mind, that Demetrius Rhaney is still on the roster and could compete for the starting job next year. He came close to winning it last year in camp.
----------
Does Jerry Jones really care about LA? they already get the unfiltered LA TV money, or is it the plan that puts the most money is Jerrys' pocket? or a case that rich guys love rich guys?

Jones likes the idea of having a monument to the NFL in LA. And yes, rich guys love rich guys. Some Dallas area writers think that Jones' role in helping bring football back to LA will help get Jones in the Hall of Fame.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In no particular order...

* LA Times site can be thwarted by the use of a "script blocker" to allow for unlimited reading. Also I would not pay for their service until they stand up a good coverage group for the Rams and right now they're a long ways away. OC Register is better than them thus far, IMO.

* IF Fish loves Keenum as much as Thomas seems to think, then there is a greater likelihood they draft a QB. Hope that's the case, draft one high.

* Zuerline is as good as gone. Consistency is a problem, his accuracy on an important range of kicks (40-49yds) has degraded and there is no way the Rams bring him in as a FA plus add "competition." Rams will draft a kicker, think we can bank that.

* I have zero faith in Rhaney. Don't understand what the Rams see in him for that matter. But then again I was wrong about Barnes so what do I know.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't get the question about the retired numbers. They were Ram players, what difference does it make where the team was based? Having your # retired has nothing to do with the city. Its about how you played for the RAMS. Cleveland, LA, St. Louis, your # gets retired, it goes up in the rafters, has nothing to do with any city.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
These are MY opinions. Love them or hate them (Probably hate).

Do you think Brian Quick will make the roster this season
The Rams do have some interest in re-signing him. But obviously they're not going to throw a lot of money at him.

Not signing Quick will be the second worst decision of the Fisher/Snead era.
How much does it cost a player who gives a fan a football during the game? Do you expect the Billionaire owners in the No Fun League to rule against this flagrant practice in the future
I know it used to be a small fine for throwing the ball in the stands _ a safety issue. Don't know if its a fine for handing the ball off. I know this has become an issue since just about every child in Charlotte seems to be getting a football these days. I'll try to check on this.

There is no fine for GIVING the ball to a fan; only for throwing the ball indiscriminately into the stands.​

What position do the Rams address in free agency?
I think that answer lies to a large degree in which of their own free agents they re-sign. Three of the 4 starters in the secondary (Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod) are up, and so is safety/linebacker Mark Barron. If, for example, the Rams lose a couple of those guys, they'll have to look for help at cornerback/safety. Also both backup defensive ends are pending free agents (Hayes, Sims).

We need to sign JJ, Tru and Mcleod. And it will cost more than we think. We understand about our CBs talent but we are sleeping on our FS (see what D. Steward is doing for Denver). If we do not sign at least 2 of the 3 our draft gets comprised big time i.e we are going defense and not trading up.​

With the Eagles second rounder, do you think that is the more likely round to see a WR drafted?
At face value that makes more sense. The Tavon Austin selection notwithstanding, I think Fisher in general doesn't like to take WRs in the first round. Especially higher in the first round _ although the Rams obviously aren't picking in the top 10 this year.

NOPE... The best TE.​

Think the rams bring back barnes, go FA for C, or draft a new C ?
I think the Rams bring back Barnes _ at the right price. Keep in mind, that Demetrius Rhaney is still on the roster and could compete for the starting job next year. He came close to winning it last year in camp.
----------
Yes they will draft a center.... but he will not beat Barnes out. Too much learning for a rookie plus Barnes will be stronger at the point of attack.​