NFL Black Monday Primer: Coaching hiring/firing discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kinda true....I like snatching guys for silly mistakes tho...especially young QB's....in a rebuilding year....snatching Kizer for picks, fumbles...fuckups...will make him better in the long run...I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting next year with Sam Darnold as his backup...Darnolds not ready yet...Kizer is the youngest starting QB....a lil behind Watson....I'm guessing....and Goff.
Cleveland, finally, has a bunch of talent again.

I'm telling you, Hackenberg can throw that rock...I hope he gets a lil action tomorrow.

He sure can. But the dude's got rocks in his head too, and that's a greater problem.

If I'm a GM with that list of castoff QBs from previous drafts for depth/competition options, Hackenberg is pretty low on that list.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm telling you, Hackenberg can throw that rock...I hope he gets a lil action tomorrow.

First off with all due respect here, but Christian Hackenberg is Shit, in fact, he's worst than Shit, he is where flies go after they've been on Shit all day.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ted-as-a-candidate-for-next-colts-head-coach/

Tom Cable floated as a candidate for next Colts head coach
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 30, 2017

120972596-e1514671443581.jpg

Getty Images

Just about everyone is expecting the Colts to fire head coach Chuck Pagano after Sunday’s season finale, so it’s time to start the speculation about who will succeed Pagano.

One name on the list is Tom Cable, according to Mike Silver of NFL Media.

Cable was head coach of the Raiders from 2008 to 2010 and compiled a record of 17-27 before getting fired. His tenure may be best remembered for an allegation that he punched assistant coach Randy Hanson, breaking his jaw.

Since the Raiders fired him, Cable has been assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Seahawks.

The Colts job could be viewed as one of the more attractive potential openings, if prospective coaches believe Andrew Luck will get healthy, stay healthy, and return to his previous form.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ted-as-a-candidate-for-next-colts-head-coach/

Getty Images

Just about everyone is expecting the Colts to fire head coach Chuck Pagano after Sunday’s season finale, so it’s time to start the speculation about who will succeed Pagano.

Cable was head coach of the Raiders from 2008 to 2010 and compiled a record of 17-27 before getting fired. His tenure may be best remembered for an allegation that he punched assistant coach Randy Hanson, breaking his jaw.

Since the Raiders fired him, Cable has been assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Seahawks.

The Colts job could be viewed as one of the more attractive potential openings, if prospective coaches believe Andrew Luck will get healthy, stay healthy, and return to his previous form.

They're gonna make good guy Chuck a scape goat and then hire one of the biggest asses in pro football another chance? SMH.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/30/report-raiders-to-make-a-run-at-jon-gruden/

Raiders to make a run at Jon Gruden
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2017

1493883-e1514688739668.jpg

Getty Images

The reasons for the Buccaneers deciding to keep coach Dirk Koetter possibly are becoming clearer. They may have lost an unofficial bidding war for Jon Gruden’s other former team.

ESPN, Gruden’s current employer, reports that the Raiders are preparing to make a run at Gruden.

That connection alone mandates the application of skepticism to any aspect of the report that seems self-serving to Gruden, including the eye-rolling notion that he prefers to wait to make a decision until after the regular season ends and the Raiders decide whether to keep coach Jack Del Rio. The Raiders won’t want to fire Del Rio unless they think they can get Gruden.

We’ve been making the case for weeks for the Raiders making a run at Gruden. With at least another year in Oakland and a future that consists of playing in a still-undetermined location for 2019 and Las Vegas as soon as 2020, the Raiders need sizzle and excitement — far more than what bringing Marshawn Lynch out of retirement did in 2017.

Gruden coached the Raiders before being traded to the Buccaneers in 202. The mere possibility of Gruden coming back will create as much or more excitement among the fan base than it did in Tampa, where Gruden was recently added to the Ring of Honor.

On Monday night, Gruden called what may have been his last Monday Night Football game, which featured the Raiders at the Eagles. Chances are that, at some point over the weekend, Gruden spoke directly with Raiders owner Mark Davis.

The report suggests that Gruden could emerge with an ownership stake in the team. That’s something the league would surely frown upon, given the apparent collusion that has kept coaching compensation from increasing over the past decade at the same pace that the salary cap and player pay has ballooned.

Said ESPN employee Gruden to ESPN: “I don’t want to sit here and speculate. . . . There is no news to report. I can’t say I haven’t taken any phone calls. I take a lot every year from coaches, some others. . . . Yeah, sometimes owners. Guys want to bounce ideas off me. I’m here to help people.”

Being coy about the job would help the Raiders comply with the Rooney Rule before hiring him. If it appears to be a done deal, there’s a chance that any potential minority candidates would decline to sit for the job.

Last Sunday, PFT reported that the Raiders were 50-50 on firing Del Rio. If they can get Gruden, that percentage will change, dramatically.

The situation also invites plenty of speculation about a bidding war between the Raiders and Bucs for his services. And it’s fair to conclude that the Bucs decided to keep Koetter only after they decided that they didn’t want to give Gruden whatever Davis is willing to pay.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/31/report-bill-obrien-likely-to-remain-with-texans/

Bill O’Brien likely to remain with Texans
Posted by Josh Alper on December 31, 2017

884882540-e1514725657575.jpg

Getty Images

This week brought more discussion about a poor working relationship between Texans head coach Bill O’Brien and General Manager Rick Smith as the team nears the end of a losing season.

That comes after much speculation about O’Brien’s future in Houston as he’s finishing the fourth year of the five-year deal he signed with the team in 2014. O’Brien has said he won’t quit and would coach next year without an extension, but there’s been no word from the team about their plans.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that O’Brien, who has gotten endorsements from quarterback Deshaun Watson and other Texans players, is likely to remain in Houston. He adds that there are issues to work out regarding his contract, which suggests it’s possible things may yet fall apart due to the extension issue.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media also reports that the Texans want to retain O’Brien and that they could rework the football operations side by giving O’Brien more of a say in personnel while bumping Smith to a different role.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/31/report-bruce-arians-likely-to-step-down/

Bruce Arians likely to step down
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 31, 2017

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians denied a report that he had already decided to walk away after today’s season finale, but he didn’t say that he’s coming back, either. Perhaps because he’s not.

Arians is likely to step away after the season but hasn’t yet told the Cardinals his plans, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

The 65-year-old Arians has had a number of health problems, and his Cardinals have declined over the last two years and may need to go through a painful rebuilding period. So it wouldn’t be at all surprising if Arians decides it’s time to retire.

It also wouldn’t be surprising if Arians is lured back to coaching, if the right job becomes available. But for now it appears that today’s game will be his swan song.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/31/report-dean-pees-to-retire/

Dean Pees to retire
Posted by Mike Florio on December 31, 2017

The Packers aren’t the only team that will be looking for a new defensive coordinator. After the season.

Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees is expected to retire, according to ESPN.

The 68-year-old Pees has been a member of John Harbaugh’s staff since 2010, serving as the defensive coordinator since Chuck Pagano left to become head coach of the Colts in 2012.

The fact that Pagano is widely expected to be fired by the Colts means that Pagano would be available to return to the Ravens, if that’s what he wants. Pagano said in 2015 that his current job will be his last job in coaching.

The Ravens have a win-and-in game on Sunday, and the news that Pees, 68, will be leaving could provide a boost for the defense, along with the rest of the team — both on Sunday and beyond.

Pees previously spent 2004 through 2009 with the Patriots. Before that, he spent his coaching career at various college programs. He has won a pair of Super Bowl rings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/31/report-dom-capers-out-in-green-bay/

Dom Capers out in Green Bay

108695705-e1514705709324.jpg

Getty Images

It’s a better-late-than-never move that some Packers fans thought would never happen.

After nine seasons with the Packers, defensive coordinator Dom Capers is not expected to return in 2018, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The defense has struggled in recent years under Capers, with the original head coach of both the Panthers and Texans often the target of criticism and calls for his removal. But coach Mike McCarthy stubbornly has stuck with Capers, 67.

“I think all of us in life have always gone through experiences in our past that you may have quit on something just to get that fresh, new start, and it feels good, but in hindsight it was not the best thing for you,” McCarthy said in May regarding Capers’ ongoing presence on the staff. “I know I have personally. So I’ve always held true to that in my decision-making process.”

It’s unclear whether he’ll retire or “retire.” If it’s the latter, he could unretire with another team. It’s also unclear whether McCarthy made the decision to move on from Capers on his own or “on his own.”

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wonder how long it would take for Cable to dick punch Irsay ???

Introductory press conference.

Jim: "It is my honor to introduce to you the newest head coach of the Indianapolis Colts, Tom Cable."

Tom: "Thanks, Jim...SUCKER PUNCH!"

200.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/31/chuck-pagano-is-out-in-indy/

Chuck Pagano is out in Indy

ap_17365643898700-e1514760830533.jpg

AP

Like Black Friday, Black Monday now starts a day early.

The Colts have fired coach Chuck Pagano, after six years on the job and three in a row with no playoff appearances.

“Chuck Pagano provided Colts fans with many exciting wins and memories as head coach of the Colts,” owner Jim Irsay said in a press release. “Throughout his tenure in Indianapolis, he impacted the lives of the players he coached, those who he worked with in the organization and Colts fans across the globe. Chuck’s first season was one of the more inspirational stories in NFL history as he courageously battled and overcame leukemia. As a result, his Chuckstrong Foundation has raised millions for cancer research. We are thankful for Chuck’s contributions to our franchise and community and we wish him, Tina and the entire Pagano family nothing but the best moving forward.”

Hired in 2012, Pagano’s leukemia diagnosis vaulted offensive coordinator Bruce Arians into the interim job and, ultimately, to the NFL’s coach of the year award. Pagano returned at the end of 2012, coaching a playoff game, leading the team to the playoffs in 2013, presiding over a comeback-for-the-ages against the Chiefs in the wild-card round, and ultimately taking Indy to the AFC title game in 2014.

Things fell apart the next year, due to a dearth of talent and a long list of injuries to franchise quarterback Andrew Luck. Pagano finished out his four-year deal in 2015, and owner Jim Irsay surprised everyone by bringing Pagano back and extending the contract of G.M. Ryan Grigson, amid rampant reports of dysfunction among them. Last year, after scouting possible coaching replacements, Irsay kept Pagano and fired Grigson.

With an arranged marriage, it was clear in early 2017 that new G.M. Chris Ballard would move on from Pagano unless Pagano accomplished enough to make it impossible. Instead, the performance of Pagano’s team, which didn’t have Luck at all, made it inevitable.

Pagano has two years left under contract, and he has said that the Indy job will be his last in coaching. He may feel differently if/when other offers to run someone’s defense emerge.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Getty Images

Please dont hire cable away from seattle, he needs a few more years as their OL coach to finish off russel wilsons career.