NFL: 3 In 10 Ex-Players Face Alzheimer's, Dementia

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/esti...=NFL&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Twitter

NFL: 3 IN 10 EX-PLAYERS FACE ALZHEIMER'S, DEMENTIA
By MARYCLAIRE DALE — Sep. 12, 2014

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The NFL estimates that nearly three in 10 former players will develop debilitating brain conditions, and that they will be stricken earlier and at least twice as often as the general population.

The disclosure Friday comes in separate actuarial data the league and players' lawyers released as part of their proposed $765 million settlement of thousands of concussion lawsuits.

Both the league and lead players' lawyers expect about 6,000 of the 19,400 retired players, or 28 percent, to develop Alzheimer's disease or at least moderate dementia. Dozens more will be diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's or Parkinson's disease during their lives, according to the data.

The reports were prepared for Senior U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody, who is presiding over the class-action lawsuit in Philadelphia that accuses the NFL of hiding information that linked concussions to brain injuries.

The NFL report said the ex-players' diagnosis rates would be "materially higher than those expected in the general population" and would come at "notably younger ages."

The proposed settlement includes $675 million for player awards, $75 million for baseline assessments, $10 million for research and $5 million for public notice. It wouldn't cover current players.

Both sides have insisted that $675 million would be enough to cover awards for 21,000 former players, given fund earnings estimated at 4.5 percent annually. Brody initially had concerns the money might run out, while critics complained the NFL's offering is a pittance given its $10 billion in annual revenues.

The NFL, in its report, said its estimates were "reasonable and conservative," and erred on the side of "overstating the number of players who will develop (illnesses)" to ensure the fund would be sufficient.

The league agreed this summer to remove the cap on its contributions, saying it would pay out more than $675 million if needed, and pay more over time if needed. Brody then granted preliminary approval of the plan and scheduled a fairness hearing on the proposed settlement for Nov. 19, when critics can challenge it.

"This report paints a startling picture of how prevalent neurocognitive diseases are among retired NFL players," lead player lawyers Christopher Seeger and Sol Weiss said in a statement.

Lawyers for some players have complained that the negotiations have been cloaked in secrecy, leaving them unsure of whether their clients should participate or opt out.

With an Oct. 14 deadline looming, "we still lack 'an informed understanding of the dynamics of the settlement discussions and negotiations.' Indeed, we have zippo understanding," lawyer Thomas A. Demetrio, who represents the family of Dave Duerson, wrote in a motion Thursday. Duerson, the popular Chicago Bears safety, committed suicide in 2011.

The family of former linebacker Junior Seau, who also committed suicide, has announced plans to opt out. He and Duerson are among about 60 former players diagnosed after their deaths with the brain decay known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Known as CTE, it can only be diagnosed after death.

Friday's release of the actuarial data was designed to address some of the complaints.

Critics also lament that the settlement plan offers no awards to anyone diagnosed with CTE in the future, and that the Alzheimer's and dementia awards are cut by 75 percent for players who also suffered strokes.

The plan would pay up to $5 million for players with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease; $4 million for deaths involving CTE; $3.5 million for Alzheimer's disease; and $3 million for moderate dementia and other neurocognitive problems.

However, only men under 45 who spent at least five years in the league would get those maximum payouts. The awards are reduced, on a sliding scale, if they played fewer years or were diagnosed later in life.

The players' data therefore predicts the average payouts, in today's dollars, to be $2.1 million for ALS, $1.4 million for a death involving CTE, and $190,000 for Alzheimer's disease or moderate dementia. The average ex-player being diagnosed with moderate dementia is expected to be 77 with four years in the NFL.

Only 60 percent of those eligible for awards are expected to enter the program, based on prior class-action litigation. The payouts would top $900 million, adjusted for inflation.

The 21,000 class members also include the estates of 1,700 deceased players.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The NFL estimates that nearly three in 10 former players will develop debilitating brain conditions, and that they will be stricken earlier and at least twice as often as the general population.

The disclosure Friday comes in separate actuarial data the league and players' lawyers released as part of their proposed $765 million settlement of thousands of concussion lawsuits.
That's pretty scary.

Now find me a 23 year old NFL player who doesn't think he's exempt from that prognosis.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
That's pretty scary.

Now find me a 23 year old NFL player who doesn't think he's exempt from that prognosis.
I'm sorry but I just can't totally overlook the obvious. Like boxers, football players play because they choose to. What do they think happens when they put their bodies at risk as they do for so many years? Do they expect to have the joints and neurological function of the average male in our society that chooses to have a sedentary job? They make these choices, get paid more than extremely well for their great life, and them blame the league? They could retire anytime they choose. They could quit after the first hard collision. Boxers could stop after one round of sparring? It is pathetic to me that they blame the league or anyone else. Should basketball players or tennis players sue their leagues for the uptick in arthritis of their knees after retiring? A very simple consent form should suffice starting at pee wee football through college and professional sports. This occupation is hazardous for your health and play at your own risk. Sign and play or find another life or occupation..people today feel so entitled..

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The good news is, there are many alternative treatments coming out that can repair brain damage for head trauma and stroke victims, etc. The bad news is, mainstream medicine will not admit that they exist. It's very sad.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
More than 3 out 10 workers in any physical type field suffer effects from working in that field.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The good news is, there are many alternative treatments coming out that can repair brain damage for head trauma and stroke victims, etc. The bad news is, mainstream medicine will not admit that they exist. It's very sad.

What are these treatments that you are referencing? Are you talking about "spotting" or something else?

Rambition

Rookie
this is the kind of thing that, upon reflection, can (and should, in my opinion) make one do a bit of soul-searching.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, most NFL athletes don't walk, limp or roll away from the game millionaires. They just...don't. Most get a day job after football...if they can work.

And part of the reason for this settlement is that the NFL outright DENIED that repetitive concussion led to CTE and/or ALS, Parkinson's or other neurological or neurocognitive disorders like dementia or Alzheimers.

Outright. Denied. And during the litigation, for 2 or 3 years, they had the proof and refused to tell those rookies because they didn't want to weaken their case. That came out in discovery.

So, I just don't by the oversimplistic argument that, "well, they knew what they were getting into."

Um...no. It was impossible for them to know because the league withheld the truth.

I signed up to serve my country. Held up my hand and swore do uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies...

Now, having done that, I signed LOTS of paperwork. I'd never BEEN in the military. So even though I was educated and pretty smart, I couldn't have known which questions to ask because I hadn't been in the military to have the experience to know to ask certain questions. But... once I was in the military, it was too late to ask the question. Too late or a moot point.

There are plenty of instances where playing in Pop Warner through even College is nothing like playing in the Pros. Just nothing at all and I don't mean the speed of the game. So expecting a young man to be able to fully know what it means to function as a pro prior to being a pro in order to best evaluate whether he should be one is asking him to tell the future. A rather arduous task for any young person.

I surely bet that most young men don't expect to walk away unscathed. I DO expect that they weren't expecting to die of ALS, which is just a horrible way to die. If you've never seen it, it's like your body quits on your a part at a time.

Now, let me ask you. If someone offered you $1.6M (4 yrs x minimum salary approx) and you could play special teams in the NFL for 4 years, but the cost of that would be a 4 year slow death with ALS from 30-34, would you take it? Would you take it if was a slow decline in health to 40 and then full blown ALS from 40-44? Would ya? No seeing kids grow up, no weddings...maybe some stability from insurance and an NFL settlement for your beneficiaries, but no way to be a part of that.

I dunno about you, but I sure as hell would want to KNOW about that before I signed up and the players did NOT know that before signing up. They did not know that they would have such bad CTE that their symptoms would lead to suicide after suicide. Dave Duerson was one of the biggest deniers... right up until he killed himself.

Is it enough to tell some kid whose dream has been since maybe age 5 that he could get a three-letter disease disease if he plays when his whole life has been about being "exceptional"? 3 in 10. These guys getting into the NFL are more like 1 in 100,000.

It's one thing if a young man makes a truly informed choice. One can argue the ethics of opportunity versus desperation another time. But the point here in the NFL context is that the players Never at any time, had the opportunity to make a truly informed choice.

Now, with the data coming back as strongly as it is that guys are getting sicker, quicker for playing far LESS than was initially believed to be necessary to require onset... informed consent is even that much more important.

It's also important in light of guys like John Abraham of the AZ Cards who clearly need to shut it down due to memory loss and the onset of other neurocognitive issues.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm sorry but I just can't totally overlook the obvious. Like boxers, football players play because they choose to. What do they think happens when they put their bodies at risk as they do for so many years? Do they expect to have the joints and neurological function of the average male in our society that chooses to have a sedentary job? They make these choices, get paid more than extremely well for their great life, and them blame the league? They could retire anytime they choose. They could quit after the first hard collision. Boxers could stop after one round of sparring? It is pathetic to me that they blame the league or anyone else. Should basketball players or tennis players sue their leagues for the uptick in arthritis of their knees after retiring? A very simple consent form should suffice starting at pee wee football through college and professional sports. This occupation is hazardous for your health and play at your own risk. Sign and play or find another life or occupation..people today feel so entitled..
I agree to an extent, but this covers players that were never given proper medical attention after the first sign of a concussion (like they do now). These guys used to get their bell run 3, 4, 5 times a game. Now it's once and you're out of the game if the sideline doc says so. I'm pretty sure that once this suit is settled, there won't be any additional or future suits.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
Well, most NFL athletes don't walk, limp or roll away from the game millionaires. They just...don't. Most get a day job after football...if they can work.

And part of the reason for this settlement is that the NFL outright DENIED that repetitive concussion led to CTE and/or ALS, Parkinson's or other neurological or neurocognitive disorders like dementia or Alzheimers.

Outright. Denied. And during the litigation, for 2 or 3 years, they had the proof and refused to tell those rookies because they didn't want to weaken their case. That came out in discovery.

So, I just don't by the oversimplistic argument that, "well, they knew what they were getting into."

Um...no. It was impossible for them to know because the league withheld the truth.

I signed up to serve my country. Held up my hand and swore do uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies...

Now, having done that, I signed LOTS of paperwork. I'd never BEEN in the military. So even though I was educated and pretty smart, I couldn't have known which questions to ask because I hadn't been in the military to have the experience to know to ask certain questions. But... once I was in the military, it was too late to ask the question. Too late or a moot point.

There are plenty of instances where playing in Pop Warner through even College is nothing like playing in the Pros. Just nothing at all and I don't mean the speed of the game. So expecting a young man to be able to fully know what it means to function as a pro prior to being a pro in order to best evaluate whether he should be one is asking him to tell the future. A rather arduous task for any young person.

I surely bet that most young men don't expect to walk away unscathed. I DO expect that they weren't expecting to die of ALS, which is just a horrible way to die. If you've never seen it, it's like your body quits on your a part at a time.

Now, let me ask you. If someone offered you $1.6M (4 yrs x minimum salary approx) and you could play special teams in the NFL for 4 years, but the cost of that would be a 4 year slow death with ALS from 30-34, would you take it? Would you take it if was a slow decline in health to 40 and then full blown ALS from 40-44? Would ya? No seeing kids grow up, no weddings...maybe some stability from insurance and an NFL settlement for your beneficiaries, but no way to be a part of that.

I dunno about you, but I sure as hell would want to KNOW about that before I signed up and the players did NOT know that before signing up. They did not know that they would have such bad CTE that their symptoms would lead to suicide after suicide. Dave Duerson was one of the biggest deniers... right up until he killed himself.

Is it enough to tell some kid whose dream has been since maybe age 5 that he could get a three-letter disease disease if he plays when his whole life has been about being "exceptional"? 3 in 10. These guys getting into the NFL are more like 1 in 100,000.

It's one thing if a young man makes a truly informed choice. One can argue the ethics of opportunity versus desperation another time. But the point here in the NFL context is that the players Never at any time, had the opportunity to make a truly informed choice.

Now, with the data coming back as strongly as it is that guys are getting sicker, quicker for playing far LESS than was initially believed to be necessary to require onset... informed consent is even that much more important.

It's also important in light of guys like John Abraham of the AZ Cards who clearly need to shut it down due to memory loss and the onset of other neurocognitive issues.
I certainly respect others opinions but simply do not agree. The problem I feel is that people including many of these players are not taking responsibility for their own decisions. Everyone wants to blame someone else. They don’t and never have had to be totally reliant on what the “NFL” has told them. Every one of them has the right to do their own research, go to the library, search the internet, and at a minimum, consult with “their” doctor. Their personal doctor would be straight forward with them if they knew the true ramifications. We have our own code of ethics. (Having a team doctor does not exclude them from having their own doc.) The problem with medical studies is there are a variety of ways to perform studies, many variables to include or exclude, and many ways to interpret them. You don’t just wake up one day and have enough data to understand the medical impact of trauma, food, stress, chemical exposure or other issues. It takes time, a lot of data points, and careful analysis to come up with associations. Usually the fastest way to get an association is to dial up an attorney. As Doctors, we have all been through this. (ie the entire silicone implant issue) . I again go back to “common sense”. It is really hard to imagine that any UFC fighter, NFL player, boxer, or for that matter any athlete can’t comprehend or doesn’t believe for one second that what they are doing day in and day out is not ultimately unhealthy for them. We see countless times, players that have severe potential life limiting and even threatening injuries go back to the field at their own prodding. (i.e. Peyton Manning and name 200 + more). Despite the recent placement of these neurologic injuries under the microscope and the associations that have been publically created, there is no mass exodus from the sport. Kids are still filling up the teams for High Schools, Colleges, and the NFL. The sport is vibrant. While the NFL is trying to be proactive for liability reasons and to be reasonable, we still have players and fans complaining that we can’t see the same “violent” football that we want to. So despite all the evidence, the players (and eager fans) are all still lining up eager to continue. Certainly these athletes are the ones that are going to complain later about the medical ramifications and expect compensation? $$$$

So yes, they appear to be choosing this career despite knowing all the risks of dementia and ALS etc even today and now.

Why? Because the enjoyment of the sport, the seductive lifestyle, and the money are there and to hard to pass up. Maybe if they were offered less money their choices would be different? Unfortunately, for the overwhelming majority of players, this is the best it will ever get in their life and their only chance of being successful. Casting education to the wind, when the pony ride stops, there is nothing else. The sad part is that a lot of them are taken advantage of and should have business advisors that help them make sound decisions and protect and build their future after football. A lot of these are really good people despite the focus on those that aren’t.

You pick a sport and a lay person can tell you or estimate that something about that sport is probably not good for their long health. It is really pretty intuitive. I am not sure that this NFL settlement is solely comprised of neurologic injuries. Doesn’t it also include compensating players that can barely walk? (i.e. Earl Campbell types?) I am friends with some of my long time tennis idols and most have artificial joints now. Olympic athletes have artificial joints from the wear and tear of training and competing. Even my surgical colleagues have similar occupational issues. After looking into a wound for 8 hours a day, after 15-20 years we have unique cervical issues that often require surgery and sometimes prematurely end careers. Should we be suing our residency programs or the AMA for not advising us then and now about our choice of professions? Should any outdoor sportsman be suing over the increased risk of melanoma? What is the advice we now give to the UFC fighters…should they stop the sport now? How do we learn from this? Should we outlaw Nathans Hot Dog eating contest because of these elevated risks?

I think we all have an obligation to do our own research and be responsible for our own actions and decisions…..and follow some common sense. If I took a hit like Harkey took, (and he demanded to go back into the game), had several concussions, or had the injuries that Manning had (that can risk paralysis), I would CHOOSE to do something else at that time. I don’t think it takes more than common sense to have judgment that “this can’t be good for you”. It is an athlete’s decision to take these risks. Don’t blame anyone else. Even knowing all the apparent risks and the apparent NFL cover-up…. They are STILL PLAYING! Have them sign all sign a liability release form (such as the formula 1 drivers sign) and we can continue watching all these professional sports, or they can find a safer less lucrative career.