NFC Championship: Rams at Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It All Comes Down to Rams' New Corners,

By GARY GRAMLING January 20, 2019

From-
[www.si.com]

1. Some 10-plus months ago, the Rams swung two deals that seemed to transform their secondary into something potentially special. First, they got Marcus Peters from the Chiefs in a trade that was immediately dubbed the stealingest steal or all stealy steals that have ever been so stealily stolen and so on and so forth. Then, they brought in Aqib Talib, an old Wade Phillips pal. The Rams hadn’t just added two talented corners, they had added two of the most dangerous ball-hawking corners in football. They’d have Aaron Donald wreaking havoc up front, then Peters and Talib feasting on the back end, grabbing pick after pick.

As the Rams head to New Orleans for the NFC title game, it's in spite of their cornerback play. The duo that was supposed to be among the team’s strengths now looks like its biggest vulnerability. Talib missed half the season after ankle surgery and, while he’s rounding back into form, isn’t quite back to his old self. Then there’s Peters, who the Rams traveled with No. 1 receivers for a while this year. They had to abandon that approach after Peters too often became the human embodiment of a piece of bread heated to a char by some kind of electronic mechanism.

When these teams met in Week 9, Talib was out and Peters could not cover Michael Thomas. (You remember, he caught 12 passes for 211 yards including the 72-yard TD after which he performed the season’s lamest touchdown celebration by rehashing the previous decade’s lamest touchdown celebration—kind of like the TD celebration equivalent of when they remake The Emoji Movie in 2029). Even if the Peters-Talib duo had lived up to expectations this season, the Saints are a tough matchup for them. Peters and Talib are both off-coverage corners who want to keep an eye on the backfield and jump routes. But Drew Brees feeds off that. He’s arguably the best of all-time at manipulating defensive backs with his eyes and his shoulders—looking into the backfield against Brees is begging for trouble. The best way to defend the Saints right now would be to put your corners up on the line of scrimmage and make Brees, whose suspect arm strength was on display at times late in the year, beat you over the top. For the Rams, that would be asking their corners to completely change their styles, take on new identities, transform their very souls! It’s probably not a very good option.

The Rams could win on Sunday if Aaron Donald plays at his absolute peak and wrecks the game—always a real possibility. Or, if Jared Goff plays the game of his life and the Rams simply outscore New Orleans in their own building. Otherwise, Wade Phillips will have to come up with some kind of original plan for his two question marks at cornerback.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Good morning fellas, it’s hard to describe how important this win is. .......

Go Rams go

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I do have to say I’m again making my 24 hour world-famous Tex-Mex chili with lime and sweet honey cornbread.

We have always won when I make that chili. It’s better than gumbo any day of the week!!

WIN THE DAY! GO RAMS!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/15/nfl-rams-saints-nfc-championship-playoffs-matchups/

Rams vs. Saints: 6 key matchups to watch in NFC championship
By: Cameron DaSilva

Aqib Talib vs. Michael Thomas
Arguably the biggest difference between the last time the Rams and Saints met and this time is the availability of Talib. He was on IR in Week 9 and didn’t face the Saints, but he’s back in the mix this time around. That’s great news for the Rams and not-so-good news for New Orleans.

Thomas had the best game of his career against the Rams, largely because Marcus Peters was in coverage – if you want to call it that. Thomas caught 12 passes for 211 yards and a touchdown, which sealed the win for the Saints. Don’t expect to see Peters on the Saints’ top receiver very often Sunday, given his struggles last time around.

Take away Thomas and the Saints’ offense looks far different.

Aaron Donald vs. Andrus Peat
Blocking Aaron Donald is difficult with two hands. Heck, it’s even hard with four hands when double-teaming him. Imagine trying to slow him down with only one good hand and a broken one.

That’s exactly what Peat will be attempting to do on Sunday after breaking his hand in Week 17. He underwent surgery during the bye, but he’s still playing through tremendous pain. With Peat ailing, expect the Saints to send plenty of help his way, either with left tackle Terron Armstead or center Max Unger.

No matter what, it bodes well for the Rams and Ndamukong Suh, who should have more one-on-one matchups.

Rob Havenstein vs. Cameron Jordan
Jordan and Havenstein saw each other back in Week 9 and it was the right tackle who won that matchup. Jordan didn’t have a single sack or quarterback hit, recording just two tackles and none for a loss.

Havenstein will have to play at an equally high level on Sunday in order to keep Jordan away from Jared Goff. This is a huge matchup both in the passing game and on the ground.

Rams’ RBs vs. Demario Davis
Davis and the Saints’ linebackers won’t have the benefit of Sheldon Rankins eating up blocks in the middle, which makes their jobs much more difficult. Considering how well Anderson and Gurley ran the ball against the Cowboys, expect to see plenty more of the Rams’ ground-and-pound approach on Sunday.

Davis is a solid linebacker in the middle of New Orleans’ defense, but he has his work cut out for him. He’ll have to show the speed to keep up with Gurley and the strength to take on Anderson when the human pinball comes barreling up the gut.

Robert Woods vs. P.J. Williams
If Cooper Kupp were healthy, he’d be the one in the slot lining up across from Williams. Instead, it’ll be Woods most of the time. The Rams move their receivers around enough that it won’t always be Woods in the slot, but he’s going to see plenty of Williams in coverage.

Woods has been the Rams’ most reliable receiver this season, being a near-lock to catch at least six passes for 60 yards each week. If Brandin Cooks and Josh Reynolds can’t shake loose from Marshon Lattimore and Eli Apple, Goff is going to have to rely on Woods in the slot.

Sean McVay vs. Asshole Face
Coaching is important each week, but this late in the postseason, it could be the difference between winning by 3 or losing by a touchdown. McVay and Payton are two of the best in football, but they’re also two of the most aggressive coaches around.

Back in Week 9, the Rams attempted a fake field goal that came up just short – at least, according to the officials – and it proved to be a pivotal play in the game. On Sunday against the Eagles, Payton shifted momentum with a successful fake punt. After that play, the Saints went on a 20-0 run and came away victorious.

It’s possible this weekend’s showdown will involve a trick play or two if one team gains a big lead. It’s also possible halftime adjustments will play a huge role in how the game turns out. This will be a chess match between two Seans for 60 minutes.

Ram65

Legend
Starting to feel the nerves after read all the posts. At this time we all know about the match ups between the Rams and 'Aints. The Rams seem confident and ready to go. Me too!!! Go Rams!!!!!

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
9acd83e352d27c274d66c936c7834ace.jpg

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anxious again.

But I was anxious last week, and that worked out.

Felt we could get past the Cowboys, and we did.

Feel we can get past the Saints too.

Gotta remember though: Just breathe.

Psycho_X

Legend
Very anxious. I might throw up every time we have to return a punt. After the Rams history with punt returns in the playoffs I want to close my eyes and pray every time the ball is soaring through the air to us.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very anxious. I might throw up every time we have to return a punt. After the Rams history with punt returns in the playoffs I want to close my eyes and pray every time the ball is soaring through the air to us.

I hope they punt all day long

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Good lord I am excited! Been up since 4am and put on my winning Goff color rush jersey. We are undefeated in the color rushes.

I am curiously confident and not nervous. I think last week our defense came together and this week they will walk in feeling like they own the place.

Our offensive line may be the most dominate in our history. Big statement I know, but can anyone definitively disagree? I sure can't.

They say this game is won in the trenches. We've got this.

Horns up!

GO RAMS!!!