Next years O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So, just a few short weeks ago I thought there was a good chance the Rams spend one of the 1st rounders on a tackle...I'm not so sure I believe that anymore.

Anyway, who do you all think starts from the current roster? The Rams have done a good job picking up guys that can develop, be serviceable, or haven't been given a real shot.

Does Shelley Smith keep the LG spot over Watkins or Turner? Or is there someone else that comes in?

Is Saffold the LT or does he move to the right side? Does Richardson keep the RT job if Saffold stays on the left? What about Wayne Hunter and Joe Barksdale? Or Ty Nsekhe for that matter...

Glad to see REAL competition for once...also glad nobody brings up Mark Setterstrom anymore... :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think S. Smith has a real good shot at remaining the starter at LG, but I'd like to see him put on 15 - 20 pounds of muscle mass. Saffold will stay at LT barring injuries, his technique has really improved under Boudreau. Richardson will probably be beat out, either by a player on the roster. I would need to see someone play there, but I think Hunter played pretty well at LT before getting hurt, as did Barksdale, or a draft pick. Williams didn't look good, but really got thrown in there with very little prep time, so I'd give him a flyer. I think H. Dahl will probably get one more year at RG. Wells will be the center if healthy.

Turner is a great backup player at C/G. I saw some flashes from Rok, but he was a little bit of a deer in the headlights when he played and them he got hurt. Turner or Barksdale at the swing.

Those are my thoughts...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm feeling the same way about this OL. It seems to be getting better and better. Thinking Fisher's MO of drafting OL late in the draft may continue next year as well, say maybe a 5th rounder. (I'm dreaming of a LB and S in the 1st round next year)

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
I'm feeling the same way about this OL. It seems to be getting better and better. Thinking Fisher's MO of drafting OL late in the draft may continue next year as well, say maybe a 5th rounder. (I'm dreaming of a LB and S in the 1st round next year)

I find your dream interesting. James Lauranaitis is one of my favorite players but I salavate thinking about Mante Ta'o (SP?)...JL moves to SLB? Probably won't happen since they just extended his contract, but who knows.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
I'm feeling the same way about this OL. It seems to be getting better and better. Thinking Fisher's MO of drafting OL late in the draft may continue next year as well, say maybe a 5th rounder. ([hil]I'm dreaming of a LB and S in the 1st round next year[/hil])

That almost HAS to happen.

If you compare the overall offensive line talent on the roster this year to last year, it's almost ridiculous how much MORE talent there is, even on our PS.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
I think S. Smith has a real good shot at remaining the starter at LG, but I'd like to see him put on 15 - 20 pounds of muscle mass. Saffold will stay at LT barring injuries, his technique has really improved under Boudreau. Richardson will probably be beat out, either by a player on the roster. I would need to see someone play there, but I think Hunter played pretty well at LT before getting hurt, as did Barksdale, or a draft pick. Williams didn't look good, but really got thrown in there with very little prep time, so I'd give him a flyer. I think H. Dahl will probably get one more year at RG. Wells will be the center if healthy.

Turner is a great backup player at C/G. I saw some flashes from Rok, but he was a little bit of a deer in the headlights when he played and them he got hurt. Turner or Barksdale at the swing.

Those are my thoughts...

Agreed. I wouldnt count Rok out in the battle for next years LG spot.

Unless Wells starts flashing why we signed him after he is reactivated, he is gone next year. If thats the case we may target a C in the draft. See if he cant beat out Turner for the job.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I have to say that imo if it wasn't for the current coaching staff and Les, the o-line situation this year would've decimated the season.

Boudreau can work some magic, but I still believe that we have to come away with some depth from the draft. The health risk on this line cannot be taken lightly anymore. No where on the team is continuation more needed.

That said, like you I thought we HAD to come away with a tackle earlier in the year. I'm still slightly leaning that way, but not so much. If there's a talent out weighing a "need" situation this year, I have confidence that this organization will be able to overcome the "hole" in order to take the better player. There sure are some talented guards in this draft though too.

bluecoconuts

Legend
OT and OG still should be addressed in the draft if there's a good player available. Although we can probably get an OG later on to develop. I'd personally like to see an OT and either a WR or S drafted in the first round. Then either a S or an OLB in the second.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Personally, I think if Luke Joeckel is available when the Rams (Redskins pick!) pick I hope they select him. And, then by some LUCK if either Jarvis Jones (very doubtful) or Manti Te'o is available with the Rams second 1st round pick I would be thrilled! With the Rams health history on Offensive Linemen I just don't think you can pass on a quality OT like Joeckel!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
paceram said:
Personally, I think if Luke Joeckel is available when the Rams (Redskins pick!) pick I hope they select him. And, then by some LUCK if either Jarvis Jones (very doubtful) or Manti Te'o is available with the Rams second 1st round pick I would be thrilled! With the Rams health history on Offensive Linemen I just don't think you can pass on a quality OT like Joeckel!

Yeah, if Joeckel is still available when we draft, we have to grab him. It was similar to this year with Kalil. Jarvis Jones is a beast. Watched him closely vs. Mizzou and he just decimated our O.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:

Those are my thoughts...

Re Smith...weren't we saying the same abut Stewart last year? Shelley Smith is gettin it done, but who knows what the staff thinks.

I still want Barrett Jones somehow, to be the LT or C.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:

Those are my thoughts...

I honestly don't think that Hunter is going to be on the team next year; at least, not at his current salary (four million a year) and age (thirty-two years old next year). I could see Barksdale winning that right tackle job over Hunter and Richardson. Brandon Washington (rookie guard/tackle, currently on practice squad), Tim Barnes (second year center/guard who can play tackle in a pinch, could keep him over Turner for salary), Ty Nsekhe (rookie tackle, possible swing tackle?), and Rokevious Watkins are all young players that have piqued my interest; I can't remember a time that we've had so many intriguing young players on the offensive line. I could see Dahl, Wells, and Williams being released because of salary reasons. In Turner's case, he's only signed for this year.

Everything else, I agree with. This is an awesome assessment, DR.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
DR RAM said:

Those are my thoughts...

I honestly don't think that Hunter is going to be on the team next year; at least, not at his current salary (four million a year) and age (thirty-two years old next year). I could see Barksdale winning that right tackle job over Hunter and Richardson. Brandon Washington (rookie guard/tackle, currently on practice squad), Tim Barnes (second year center/guard who can play tackle in a pinch, could keep him over Turner for salary), Ty Nsekhe (rookie tackle, possible swing tackle?), and Rokevious Watkins are all young players that have piqued my interest; I can't remember a time that we've had so many intriguing young players on the offensive line. I could see Dahl, Wells, and Williams being released because of salary reasons. In Turner's case, he's only signed for this year.

Everything else, I agree with. This is an awesome assessment, DR.

What is so interesting, and a good thread starter BTW, is that there are so many options now. Certainly the draft is still an option, and I'd never want to pass up a sure thing (if that's even possible) OT. Most people here know that I really wanted Kalil in the last draft.

Everybody is making really good points. Agree on the young prospects. Wouldn't expect Hunter or Williams at their current salaries. Boudreau has been money, IMO too.