News Analysis: Rams’ season is at crossroads but barring playoff run, building blocks are set for 2024

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

News Analysis: Rams’ season is at crossroads but barring playoff run, building blocks are set for 2024​

Maybe it’s only coincidence, but the Rams’ midseason signing of Carson Wentz sure feels like 2016.

Not because of what Wentz might do — if anything — as a backup quarterback for a team that is 3-6 and suffering through a three-game losing streak. If starter Matthew Stafford returns from a right thumb injury for the Nov. 19 game against the Seattle Seahawks, Wentz might never see the field in a game for the Rams.

But you can’t mention Wentz and the Rams without thinking about the NFL draft seven years ago — and where the Rams might be heading in the 2024 draft.

History lesson: In 2016, following another 7-9 season under Jeff Fisher and with the need to make a splash in their return to Los Angeles, the Rams traded up a record 14 spots in the draft to No. 1. In the blockbuster deal, they sent the Tennessee Titans their No. 15 pick, two second-round picks, a third-round pick, and first- and third-round picks in 2017.

The Rams chose quarterback Jared Goff over Wentz, who was taken No. 2 by the Philadelphia Eagles. Before the 2017 season, the Rams hired 30-year-old Sean McVay as coach. A year later, they went to the Super Bowl.

After the 2020 season, the Rams dumped Goff, sending him and first- and third-round picks to the Detroit Lions for quarterback Matthew Stafford.

That deal worked out well for the Rams. Stafford led them to victory in Super Bowl LVI at owner Stan Kroenke’s SoFi Stadium. (Goff returns to SoFi Stadium on Sunday as the leader of a resurgent Detroit Lions team that will play the Chargers.)

Stafford, 35, is under contract through the 2026 season. His 2024 salary is guaranteed. When physically sound, Stafford shows no sign of having lost any of the arm talent that has made him one of the NFL’s premier passers for 15 seasons.

But like 2016, when two quarterbacks were at the top of draft projections, USC quarterback Caleb Williams and North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye are regarded as rare prospects.

Rams general manager Les Snead showed in 2016 that he will go beyond creative to get to the top of the draft and select a quarterback. Regardless of cost.

In ensuing years, he traded one or multiple first-round picks for receiver Brandin Cooks, cornerback Jalen Ramsey and Stafford.

In the upcoming draft, for the first time since selecting Goff, the Rams have a first-round pick. But there is no guarantee Snead will hold on to that pick, or future first-round picks, if the player they want is available.

The Rams currently have the NFL’s sixth-worst winning percentage. The Arizona Cardinals (1-8), the Carolina Panthers (1-7), Chicago Bears (2-7), New York Giants (2-7) and New England Patriots (2-7) also are in the running for the first or second pick.

The Rams could play themselves out of contention for a top pick by making a run to the playoffs.

Based on their performance through eight games, that seems like a longshot.

But there is reason for cautious optimism.

Stafford, offensive lineman Rob Haventsein and linebacker Ernest Jones are expected to return from injuries that sidelined them for the Rams 20-3 defeat to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.

Running back Kyren Williams is eligible to return from injured reserve for the Nov. 26 game against the Cardinals.

Rookie receiver Puka Nacua, rookie edge rusher Byron Young and rookie defensive lineman Kobie Turner are positioned to build on their impressive starts.

But McVay must find a way to help receiver Cooper Kupp emerge from a three-game statistical slump, and to consistently blend Kupp, Nacua and receiver Tutu Atwell into the offense.

Defensive coordinator Raheem Morris must improve a secondary that has received solid play from cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon and safety Jordan Fuller.

And kicker Lucas Havrisik and the Rams special teams must consistently convert Rams’ opportunities and control or disrupt opponents.

As for Wentz, he’s not the first former first-round pick to sign with the Rams.

In 2019, with the Jacksonville Jaguars still owing him millions of dollars, Blake Bortles served as Goff’s backup. Last season, with Stafford sidelined because of a spinal injury and John Wolford struggling through a shoulder injury, Baker Mayfield started the final five games.

Mayfield, after being traded by the Browns and released by the Panthers, parlayed his Rams experience into a starting opportunity with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Wentz, traded by the Eagles and the Indianapolis Colts and released by the Commodes, is no doubt aiming for a similar rebirth that might produce a starting opportunity with another team in 2024.

After last season’s Super Bowl hangover disaster, the Rams essentially told their fans to be patient and wait until 2024. They would have a first-round pick, and about $50 million in salary-cap space to work with.

SoFi Stadium could make another appearance in the Super Bowl rotation, possibly as soon as the 2025 or 2026 seasons.

That journey could start with the 2024 draft.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We have some young players that could turn out pretty good. Young is already showing his potential. Avila is a solid pick. Puka is the steal of the draft. Turner is showing he can be a steady lineman. Kyren's been running well when he can play. We still have Evans who might be active most games but is basically being redshirted. He has undeniable athletic talent. Lake and Yeast both are nice complimentary players. Hoecht seems to be coming around with the pass rush lately.

The jury is still out on Kendrick. Not looking good so far. Durant seems to have regressed. That is the problem with young guys. Sometimes they show potential their rookie year then take a step back the next year. The dreaded sophomore jinx. Will any of our good rookies have that problem next year?

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying for months this was a great foundational draft. The Rams are positioned to complete their remodel next year with Stafford's successor. By structure Stafford's contract would seem to indicate he retires after 2024 season. The extra year are void years to reduce his cap hit.

IMO Stafford, Kupp and AD are retiring after 2024. Puka fills Kupp's role, Young and Turner provide the pass rush that Donald provides, and they likely will draft Stafford's successor this coming draft. Ad in another WR, CB, OT and LB and this team is ready to contend next year.

I don't think it matters that much where they land picking in the draft. If the Rams want a QB they will find a way to trade up to get him. If the Rams play well this second half Wendtz might sign a one year extension knowing that this could be an opportunity to get a ring.

Starting next year I think it begins a multi-year stretch where the Rams will be perennial contenders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm still pissed at Kendrick. Secondary was playing well as a group prior to his arrest. Wasn't perfect but they were doing a good job limiting QBs which is the most important element in winning defense. Since that time they have shit the bed vs even poor QBs.

So as it pertains to Morris the one thing he has to get right for this second half is sorting that back end. Looks like Kendrick is being phased out, not sure if that continues but whoever they go with need to be able to make QBs hold the ball.

Lake is really interesting. I don't know that he can continue to do well in this role. Feels like they should have Tomlinson out there in the slot (I've accepted Spoon's gonna finish the season out for us), and I'd like to see Lake playing over either Fuller or Yeast, but that might not happen while we're still trying to win games. But there is a lot of value in seeing what he can do back there. Yeast has been better than I expected but the guy does not have great instincts in the pass game for that deep role. Fuller is gonna leave in FA. Lake should be taking one of those two jobs back there I think.

We need Jones back. Those guys were overrun without him. Defensive front as a whole is already light I think, without Jones it doesn't feel like we have enough physicality up the middle.

Jackson's play at LT has dipped. Unfortunately Hav who is an iron man got hurt, not sure when he gets back but I think it is healthy for Jackson to have Boom sitting behind him on the depth chart. So I'm thinking Hav is a key piece for us from that perspective, plus he's the anchor of this group on the leadership side.

OL has some much easier games ahead but also a few tough ones mixed in. Hoping they get on a roll after the bye. If not then park Stafford, feature Wentz, and see how high we can get that pick.

muggmeister

Rookie
The jury is still out on Kendrick. Not looking good so far. Durant seems to have regressed. That is the problem with young guys. Sometimes they show potential their rookie year then take a step back the next year. The dreaded sophomore jinx. Will any of our good rookies have that problem next year?
The jury has returned rendering a verdict is they both suck. Ladarius Snead in free agency please.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
With 3 rookie starters in addition to Kobie Turner heading that direction along with the ST guys from the 2022 draft. This group starring Puka, Avila & Young would make any team any year a draft day success from the performances these guys have put in through the first 10 weeks. There are a lot of reasons for optimism in Ram Land and still 8 games left to get better and see if maybe Mathis, Tomlinson or others step up and prove they can contribute too.

Tano

Legend
I'm still pissed at Kendrick. Secondary was playing well as a group prior to his arrest. Wasn't perfect but they were doing a good job limiting QBs which is the most important element in winning defense. Since that time they have shit the bed vs even poor QBs.

So as it pertains to Morris the one thing he has to get right for this second half is sorting that back end. Looks like Kendrick is being phased out, not sure if that continues but whoever they go with need to be able to make QBs hold the ball.

Lake is really interesting. I don't know that he can continue to do well in this role. Feels like they should have Tomlinson out there in the slot (I've accepted Spoon's gonna finish the season out for us), and I'd like to see Lake playing over either Fuller or Yeast, but that might not happen while we're still trying to win games. But there is a lot of value in seeing what he can do back there. Yeast has been better than I expected but the guy does not have great instincts in the pass game for that deep role. Fuller is gonna leave in FA. Lake should be taking one of those two jobs back there I think.

We need Jones back. Those guys were overrun without him. Defensive front as a whole is already light I think, without Jones it doesn't feel like we have enough physicality up the middle.

Jackson's play at LT has dipped. Unfortunately Hav who is an iron man got hurt, not sure when he gets back but I think it is healthy for Jackson to have Boom sitting behind him on the depth chart. So I'm thinking Hav is a key piece for us from that perspective, plus he's the anchor of this group on the leadership side.

OL has some much easier games ahead but also a few tough ones mixed in. Hoping they get on a roll after the bye. If not then park Stafford, feature Wentz, and see how high we can get that pick.
Plus we are getting Bobby Brown back.

With Jones and Brown, we should be able to stop the run better