NEW: Rams vs. Cardinals Preview - Shane's Select 7 (InsideSTL/CBS Sports 920)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Rams vs. Cardinals Preview: Shane's Select Seven
Shane Gray

In an NFC West divisional matchup, the St. Louis Rams (6-7) will take on the Arizona Cardinals (10-3) at the Edward Jones Dome Thursday night. While St. Louis enters the affair on fire after posting back to back shutouts wins and three victories in the last four contests, Arizona comes in cold after dropping two of its last three games following a 9-1 start to the season.

Rapid Rebound

From a preparation and recovering standpoint, Thursday night games following Sunday games are as tough as it gets in the NFL.

These short weeks are hard on coaches and players alike, as their highly choreographed, structured and repetitive routines must be radically adjusted. The short weeks also leave less time for treatments, game-planning, installation and rest for the purpose of recovery.

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher feels that their are two vital factors in successfully readying for action in limited time.

"As we told them this morning, the key to success on short weeks is two things: one is recovery and two is preparation," Fisher said Monday. "We have all the resources here to recover and we need to do that. And then, of course, we have to prepare.”

Even though Fisher has a plan of attack to combat the unique issues that short weeks' present, the challenges are still difficult for all involved.

"I don’t think it’s easy on anybody, especially this late in the year," St. Louis quarterback Shaun Hill suggested Wednesday. "I think we’re handling it well. Obviously, Fisher is great about making sure guys get their rest and that guys’ bodies feel good. His whole design throughout the whole season is building for guys to feel good in December and to be able to handle a short week like this in December. I think we certainly have a head coach that’s very conscience of that.”

Fisher, for his part, tries to look at the bright-side of what a short week gives a team long-term.

“I’m fine with a Thursday night game. It’s just getting to Thursday night, which is the challenge as coaches," Fisher stated. "This one’s as late as it’s been for me in the season. But still, we’ll get a chance to recover after the game. It is a challenge to get there, but once you get there it’s okay. The bonus is you get extra time after. We pick up another bye week so guys will make the most of that.”

In stark contrast, however, is the apparent view of Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians, who playfully suggested that a reporter was trying to get him fined when asking him about his thoughts on the short week.

Arians is not alone in his negative views towards Thursday night affairs, as other coaches and executives around the league have voiced displeasure towards playing on short rest and with limited time to either prepare for their opponent or to recover from the previous outing.

If any team should be ready for a short week, it may be the Rams, who possess a veteran-laden coaching staff with vast experience in dealing with this situation.

"We’ve been through this before," Rams Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams said Thursday. "I’ve been through a lot of short weeks. Jeff’s (Fisher) been through a lot of short weeks. I really like the schedule that we had (this week) and how Jeff set us up for recovery and everything. Our players have done an outstanding job of -- from the time when we hit the ground coming in Sunday night -- of putting that one to bed and getting onto the next one. That’s what you’ve got to do as a real pro and they’ve done a good job. From a recovery aspect, from a health aspect and from a mental preparation aspect, they’ve done a very nice job. Now it’s time to play.”

Cardinals Coming

for six other topics including Cardinals Coming, Dominant Defense, Turning the Corner, Donald Dominating, Watching Williams and Prime Time, I hope each of you will enjoy the full read via link below. Thanks for reading. AND thanks for being the best Rams board around, RRD.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...vs-Cardinals-Preview-Shanes-Select-Seven.aspx

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
"His whole design throughout the whole season is building for guys to feel good in December and to be able to handle a short week like this in December. I think we certainly have a head coach that’s very conscience of that.”

I wish Fisher would work on getting his players "to feel good" beginning in September instead of December. It might eliminate those agonizing slow starts that cost us the playoffs each season.

Hey Shane, thanks for the mention in the last few paragraphs of your article.

Prime Time :)

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"His whole design throughout the whole season is building for guys to feel good in December and to be able to handle a short week like this in December. I think we certainly have a head coach that’s very conscience of that.”

I wish Fisher would work on getting his players "to feel good" beginning in September instead of December. It might eliminate those agonizing slow starts that cost us the playoffs each season.

Hey Shane, thanks for the mention in the last few paragraphs of your article.

Prime Time :)
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Getting ready for some fast starts would be very helpful.

And as for you coming up in the column as one of the seven feature points: no problem. You deserve it.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Another great article, Shane! At least the teams know each other so the preps not so tough!

Alan

Legend
Sounds great. (y) Now, if he can get the team ready for the first third of the season next year we'll be all set. :banana:

STL-Rams

Starter
Another great article, Shane! At least the teams know each other so the preps not so tough!
Big thanks as always, rhinobean. I'm glad you enjoyed it. On the short week, playing a divisional appointment is helpful in terms of preparation.

STL-Rams

Starter
Sounds great. (y) Now, if he can get the team ready for the first third of the season next year we'll be all set. :banana:
:)