NEW: Loaded #Rams at Cardinals Week 10 Preview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Rams at Cardinals: Full Preview of the Week 10 Matchup

Shane Gray posted on November 07, 2014 16:13

On Sunday, the St. Louis Rams will square off with the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium in a key NFC West matchup. St. Louis will arrive in Glendale with a 3-5 mark after winning two of their last three games. Arizona, meanwhile will enter the action with the NFL's best record at 7-1.

How are the Cardinals Doing It?
b25a4A.jpg
When considering a myriad of statistical barometers, it would appear that the Cardinals are securing victories with smoke and mirrors. In breaking down the numbers, one would be hard-pressed to believe that Arizona is really sitting at 7-1.

Seriously, does the following look like the NFL's best team to you?

Offensively, the Cardinals rank thirty-first in passer percentage, thirtieth in yards per carry and twenty-eighth in rushing yards per game. Defensively, they rank thirtieth in sacks, worst in passing yards per game, No. 25 in passer rating allowed and thirty-first in forced fumbles. In addition, they check in at just a so-so fourteenth in both scoring offense and points allowed per game.

So, how have the Cardinals managed to reel off the league's best won-loss percentage this season when considering the above? As is often the case, numbers don't always tell the entire story. For example, Arizona's aforementioned last place passing D is probably at least a little better than it appears on paper.

"They’re getting up and teams are just throwing it and going two-minute," Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher explained this week. "They’re giving up plays just to protect the end zone and things like that. It’s very, very misleading.”

St. Louis quarteback Austin Davis essentially reiterated Fisher's thoughts on the Arizona air D.

“I think stats can be very misleading," Davis suggested. "Obviously, their record’s great so teams are down and they’re throwing the ball more late in the game. They’re softening up and giving up yards. We don’t look a lot at the stats. They’re definitely really good at stopping the run and we’re going to have to throw and complete the ball and do some things in the passing game.”

According to Arizona Head Coach Bruce Arians, much of their success boils down to knowing how to close out games. While the Rams have struggled to finish several contests that they could have won, the Cardinals consistently find ways to perform successfully late in the action.

“I think that we’ve played hard for 60 minutes and kind of found ways to win games," Arians said in a conference call this week. "I don’t think we’re anything special, but we’ve managed to win ball games in fourth quarters. That’s very hard to do. I think they’ve learned that’s when games are won and lost. Most teams, it’s very hard to teach a team how to win. You find ways to do that and then you start believing that it’s going to happen."

Cardinals quartback Carson Palmer echoed similar thoughts to Arians in regard to finishing games off.

"What we’ve done a good job at is beating the teams we’re supposed to and then we close games out against good teams. The last two years, we’ve really been a fourth quarter team."

Avoiding and Creating Interceptions

(For six more points including a look at Arizona's playmakers, winning and losing close games, the Cards run D and more, please read here. I think you all will really enjoy this one, ROD! Thanks for all the great support!):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...nals-Full-Preview-of-the-Week-10-Matchup.aspx

Alan

Legend
Good stuff as usual Shane. What's your take on their special teams, both offensively and defensively?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Offensively, the Cardinals rank thirty-first in passer percentage, thirtieth in yards per carry and twenty-eighth in rushing yards per game. Defensively, they rank thirtieth in sacks, worst in passing yards per game, No. 25 in passer rating allowed and thirty-first in forced fumbles. In addition, they check in at just a so-so fourteenth in both scoring offense and points allowed per game.
And a lot of Talking Heads at ESPS, and NFLN don't think we can beat this^!!:ROFLMAO:

"They’re getting up and teams are just throwing it and going two-minute," Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher explained this week. "They’re giving up plays just to protect the end zone and things like that. It’s very, very misleading.”
This ^ makes me wonder, just how well the Cards can play when their behind on the score board!?!:cautious::D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
"Offensively, the Cardinals rank thirty-first in passer percentage, thirtieth in yards per carry and twenty-eighth in rushing yards per game. Defensively, they rank thirtieth in sacks, worst in passing yards per game, No. 25 in passer rating allowed and thirty-first in forced fumbles. In addition, they check in at just a so-so fourteenth in both scoring offense and points allowed per game.

So, how have the Cardinals managed to reel off the league's best won-loss percentage this season when considering the above?"

There's only one possible answer:

r9eakp.jpg

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
"Offensively, the Cardinals rank thirty-first in passer percentage, thirtieth in yards per carry and twenty-eighth in rushing yards per game. Defensively, they rank thirtieth in sacks, worst in passing yards per game, No. 25 in passer rating allowed and thirty-first in forced fumbles. In addition, they check in at just a so-so fourteenth in both scoring offense and points allowed per game.

So, how have the Cardinals managed to reel off the league's best won-loss percentage this season when considering the above?"

There's only one possible answer:

r9eakp.jpg
I recognize the hand on the right as Roger Goodell's.
So, the hand on the left must be the devils.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Good read Shane, as always.

I'm hoping the Rams don't allow Palmer the room to step up in the pocket. If Donald has a big game, Palmer could be in scramble mode from the first snap. You don't want to be in scramble mode against today's Rams.

I don't see the Rams going long much. Diffuse the stacked box with short fast passes. I hope AD stays, sets, and delivers. When he doesn't set his feet, he's a nightmare. When he does, he can deliver.

Also, Tre Mason on the edge. You heard it hear first folks!

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff as usual Shane. What's your take on their special teams, both offensively and defensively?

Thank you, Alan. Offensively, the special teams has been coming along. Cunningham is turning into a consistent kickoff returner and Austin seems to be starting to find his groove. Could use more consistency from GZ, though. The Rams coverage units could stand to play a little better.

STL-Rams

Starter
And a lot of Talking Heads at ESPS, and NFLN don't think we can beat this^!!:ROFLMAO:

This ^ makes me wonder, just how well the Cards can play when their behind on the score board!?!:cautious::D

Both great points, Dave! It is going to be interesting. I believe the Rams can play with them.

Alan

Legend
STL-Rams having trouble with pronouns:
Thank you, Alan. Offensively, the special teams has been coming along. Cunningham is turning into a consistent kickoff returner and Austin seems to be starting to find his groove. Could use more consistency from GZ, though. The Rams coverage units could stand to play a little better.
By "their' I meant the Cardinals but that was pretty much how I see our special teams. Although Austin finding his groove might be a little optimistic but I love optimism. :)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Rams at Cardinals: Full Preview of the Week 10 Matchup

Shane Gray posted on November 07, 2014 16:13

On Sunday, the St. Louis Rams will square off with the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium in a key NFC West matchup. St. Louis will arrive in Glendale with a 3-5 mark after winning two of their last three games. Arizona, meanwhile will enter the action with the NFL's best record at 7-1.

How are the Cardinals Doing It?
b25a4A.jpg
When considering a myriad of statistical barometers, it would appear that the Cardinals are securing victories with smoke and mirrors. In breaking down the numbers, one would be hard-pressed to believe that Arizona is really sitting at 7-1.

Seriously, does the following look like the NFL's best team to you?

So, how have the Cardinals managed to reel off the league's best won-loss percentage this season when considering the above? As is often the case, numbers don't always tell the entire story. For example, Arizona's aforementioned last place passing D is probably at least a little better than it appears on paper.

St. Louis quarteback Austin Davis essentially reiterated Fisher's thoughts on the Arizona air D.

“I think stats can be very misleading," Davis suggested. "Obviously, their record’s great so teams are down and they’re throwing the ball more late in the game. They’re softening up and giving up yards. We don’t look a lot at the stats. They’re definitely really good at stopping the run and we’re going to have to throw and complete the ball and do some things in the passing game.”

According to Arizona Head Coach Bruce Arians, much of their success boils down to knowing how to close out games. While the Rams have struggled to finish several contests that they could have won, the Cardinals consistently find ways to perform successfully late in the action.

“I think that we’ve played hard for 60 minutes and kind of found ways to win games," Arians said in a conference call this week. "I don’t think we’re anything special, but we’ve managed to win ball games in fourth quarters. That’s very hard to do. I think they’ve learned that’s when games are won and lost. Most teams, it’s very hard to teach a team how to win. You find ways to do that and then you start believing that it’s going to happen."

Cardinals quartback Carson Palmer echoed similar thoughts to Arians in regard to finishing games off.

"What we’ve done a good job at is beating the teams we’re supposed to and then we close games out against good teams. The last two years, we’ve really been a fourth quarter team."

Avoiding and Creating Interceptions

(For six more points including a look at Arizona's playmakers, winning and losing close games, the Cards run D and more, please read here. I think you all will really enjoy this one, ROD! Thanks for all the great support!):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...nals-Full-Preview-of-the-Week-10-Matchup.aspx

Great article Shane.
I like the format too.
I think if the Rams take care of the ball, play their game and execute, they have a good shot to win.

STL-Rams

Starter
Good read Shane, as always.

I'm hoping the Rams don't allow Palmer the room to step up in the pocket. If Donald has a big game, Palmer could be in scramble mode from the first snap. You don't want to be in scramble mode against today's Rams.

I don't see the Rams going long much. Diffuse the stacked box with short fast passes. I hope AD stays, sets, and delivers. When he doesn't set his feet, he's a nightmare. When he does, he can deliver.

Also, Tre Mason on the edge. You heard it hear first folks!
'
Thanks for that, RamzFanz. You bring up a great point and something I should have hit on in the preview: he's one of the best and moving within the pocket and avoiding pressure. But it's hard to do that if pressure is coming up the middle (along with outside heat). Chris Long used to miss out on a multitude of sacks when the Rams used to never have anyone pushing the pocket back three or four yers ago.

I actually think the Rams may try to burn them deep a time or two to loosen them up... maybe more if they go one on one frequently.

As for Davis, he has struggled of late on the run. But earlier in the year - for the sake of balance -- he made many terrific throws while picking up the feet and putting em down.

As for Mason, I like what I've seen and I think you may be onto something there. They will need some really good blocking on the edges and with tight ends, of course, for that to succeed.

STL-Rams

Starter
By "their' I meant the Cardinals but that was pretty much how I see our special teams. Although Austin finding his groove might be a little optimistic but I love optimism. :)

I apologize for misunderstanding you there. I should have picked up on that. As for Austin I did say "starting to find his groove"... I wouldn't say he's found it yet. :)

STL-Rams

Starter
Great article Shane.
I like the format too.
I think if the Rams take care of the ball, play their game and execute, they have a good shot to win.

Thank you, Rambitious1. And thanks for the feedback on the format.

Some may call me crazy, but I agree that the Rams can play well and win this thing if they execute, take advantage of opportunities and avoid turnovers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Cards start hot on offense it could get ugly for the Rams. But I think the Cards are in for a dogfight in this game. I think the Rams' defense has steadily built itself into a very strong unit, and this is a game where they need to keep the score down.

With the defense we saw last week in SF this Rams' team can play with anyone. Plain and simple. From there it's all about Davis not being a football dispenser as the Cards are so good at taking it away.

STL-Rams

Starter
If the Cards start hot on offense it could get ugly for the Rams. But I think the Cards are in for a dogfight in this game. I think the Rams' defense has steadily built itself into a very strong unit, and this is a game where they need to keep the score down.

With the defense we saw last week in SF this Rams' team can play with anyone. Plain and simple. From there it's all about Davis not being a football dispenser as the Cards are so good at taking it away.
Yes, the Cards are certainly not a team you want to get very far behind on, because they really know how to finish strong. Have to hope the D improvement is something that ends up a long term trend.