New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Now back to our regularly scheduled program. This was about the stadium plans - not Bradford, or draft picks, or even how hot RedAlice may or may not be (admittedly still curious myself though - what can I say? I'm a dude).

So to all... Back on track - yeah?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Interesting thing from the end of that article, the Chargers sum up their argument as to why they have special rights over the L.A. market:

• The Los Angeles and Orange County market has been without an NFL team for 20 years.
  • Over those two decades the Chargers have worked diligently to win fans and business partners in the LA/Orange County market.
  • And the Chargers have succeeded. Now, fully 25 percent of the Chargers’ season ticket base comes from the LA/Orange County market (along with the Inland Empire).
  • If another team – or two other teams – enters the LA/Orange County markets, most of that Chargers’ business there will disappear.
  • This will put the Chargers at a significant competitive economic disadvantage.
  • Simply put, it would not be fair to the Chargers – a team that has worked for 14 years to find a stadium solution in San Diego County – to allow other teams that themselves abandoned the LA market to now return and gut the Chargers’ local revenue stream.
  • The Chargers are continuing to work hard to find a solution in San Diego.
  • But we also want to be clear with this Task Force right at the outset: We are keeping a close eye on developments in LA. We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there. Simply put, it would be irresponsible for the Chargers not to be taking every possible step to protect the future of the franchise.
And I can counter the argument in one bullet point. It was unfair that you got such a large share of the L.A. market in the first place. Therefore it is not unfair that you lose said market. I'm sure if St. Louis finds themselves without a team, the Chiefs will get more business from St. Louis area football fans, but they would be just as ridiculous to claim that they have any special rights over the St. Louis area.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Does anyone know how much Spanos has offered to pony up or what he wants in the form of a proposal? I see what they want in the way of political direction but what are they after in terms of revenue streams, percentage of public money, etc...? It seems from what I have seen that Spanos expects the city to pay the entire tab. Is that correct? I also find it interesting that one of the "best" proposals so far as far as most likely to pass was a proposal to build a new stadium in conjunction with the convention center so that it could "practically pay for itself due to increased use of the Convention Center." Isn't the exact opposite of what the CVC is saying?

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Interesting thing from the end of that article, the Chargers sum up their argument as to why they have special rights over the L.A. market:

• The Los Angeles and Orange County market has been without an NFL team for 20 years.
  • Over those two decades the Chargers have worked diligently to win fans and business partners in the LA/Orange County market.
  • And the Chargers have succeeded. Now, fully 25 percent of the Chargers’ season ticket base comes from the LA/Orange County market (along with the Inland Empire).
  • If another team – or two other teams – enters the LA/Orange County markets, most of that Chargers’ business there will disappear.
  • This will put the Chargers at a significant competitive economic disadvantage.
  • Simply put, it would not be fair to the Chargers – a team that has worked for 14 years to find a stadium solution in San Diego County – to allow other teams that themselves abandoned the LA market to now return and gut the Chargers’ local revenue stream.
  • But we also want to be clear with this Task Force right at the outset: We are keeping a close eye on developments in LA. We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there. Simply put, it would be irresponsible for the Chargers not to be taking every possible step to protect the future of the franchise.
And I can counter the argument in one bullet point. It was unfair that you got such a large share of the L.A. market in the first place. Therefore it is not unfair that you lose said market. I'm sure if St. Louis finds themselves without a team, the Chiefs will get more business from St. Louis area football fans, but they would be just as ridiculous to claim that they have any special rights over the St. Louis area.
I agree with you but if the Rams and Raiders move to LA then the Chargers are fucked. It's pretty much a done deal that LA will get 2 teams next year. Whether it's the Rams,Raiders or Chargers. Too much noise and to much momentum not to happen.

Last edited:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I agree with you but if the Rams and Raiders move to LA then the Chargers are fucked. It's pretty much a done deal that LA will get 2 teams next year. Whether it's the Rams,Raiders or Chargers. Too much noise and to much momentum not to happen.

I think it's far from a done deal. It's not even a done deal that 1 team will be there next year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/chargers-message-to-san-diego-put-up-or-shut-up/

Chargers’ message to San Diego: Put up or shut up
Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2015

The Chargers will meet with the committee that has been formed to explore the building of a new stadium in San Diego. The Chargers also have publicly released their comments to the committee.

In their remarks, the Chargers were direct and blunt (and some would say maybe even a little condescending) regarding their expectations when it comes to any ideas to be proposed by San Diego — and regarding a long-time Plan B that possibly has become Plan A.

“We are keeping a close eye on developments in L.A.,” the Chargers said in their remarks to the committee. “We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there. Simply put, it would be irresponsible for the Chargers not to be taking every possible step to protect the future of the franchise.”

The Chargers also made clear their belief that 20 years without a team in Los Angeles has helped the franchise make significant inroads there, with 25 percent of the season-ticket holders coming from L.A. County and Orange County.

“Simply put, it would not be fair to the Chargers — a team that has worked for 14 years to find a stadium solution in San Diego County — to allow other teams that themselves abandoned the LA market to now return and gut the Chargers’ local revenue stream,” the Chargers told the committee, which has no power over whether teams other than the Chargers move to L.A.

A full reading of the summary and the entire remarks leads to one conclusion: The Chargers want San Diego to put up or shut up. The Chargers definitely don’t want San Diego to simply try to come up with a flimsy, hollow proposal so that the politicians can say an effort was made.

That attitude will make the Chargers leery of any proposal that emerges, quick to point out the flaws and to argue that the politicians are merely trying to ensure that the Chargers, not the people who periodically are up for re-election, will be blamed if the Chargers leave.

It’s all pointing to the Chargers eventually (or sooner) becoming one of the teams to move to L.A, with the other remaining question being whether the other team that moves there is the Rams or the Raiders.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The Chargers got 20 years of access into a market they had no right to. I'm not going to have sympathy if they lose that access. And if they are fucked without this access to a market outside their own, it's their own fault.

That said, it's all but certain L.A. won't have a team next year. In addition to Goodell's proclamation that no would move there this year, the deadline for filing for relocation passed yesterday. The only way left for a move to happen is an owner going rogue with a midnight move, and I don't see Stan doing that until and unless it seems he's not going to get what he wants through the process. And the Raiders and Chargers really CAN'T do that as they would have no long term plans for a place to play.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The Chargers got 20 years of access into a market they had no right to. I'm not going to have sympathy if they lose that access. And if they are fucked without this access to a market outside their own, it's their own fault.

I think they are just laying the groundwork to claim some pretty big relocation fees. Whether the owners would vote for Stan to pay them or not is another question.

bluecoconuts

Legend
At first I thought the article was essentially "We're not amused with your weak shit here" and then it just kind of went into "We're gonna try to use LA for leverage one last time and try to act like we should be able to block any team from moving there because reasons." and it was pretty dumb. Chargers have no more "right" to LA than the 49ers or Raiders (who also both have a large market in LA), or the Steelers or Packers, or any of the other 31 teams that have fans in LA.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I doubt the other owners are willing to keep the NFL out of LA because 25% of the Chargers season ticket holders are from LA.
It's almost laughable.
I doubt he has the votes to stop any team from going to LA.
LA means more money for all of the teams. Which is why Grubman even stated the league has considered building their own stadium in LA.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
At first I thought the article was essentially "We're not amused with your weak crap here" and then it just kind of went into "We're gonna try to use LA for leverage one last time and try to act like we should be able to block any team from moving there because reasons." and it was pretty dumb. Chargers have no more "right" to LA than the 49ers or Raiders (who also both have a large market in LA), or the Steelers or Packers, or any of the other 31 teams that have fans in LA.
If any team has the rights to LA it's the Cowboys.
I know more Cowboys Fans in So Cal than any other team. It's not even close.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd rather we go with what 503 said... that anyone coming here gets a clean slate and we trust the mods to handle it if any poster starts going off the rails.

Didn't 503 crack the same joke though? Nobody is saying she can't post here, but you can't expect people who have read her stuff to pretend she dint say anything. She herself said she stands by it. If you go in your neighbors yard and tell him where to stick it, you can't just walk back to your own and say "clean slate clean slate!" I think you can trust the people here not to get carried away. This isn't Ramstalk.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Didn't 503 crack the same joke though? Nobody is saying she can't post here, but you can't expect people who have read her stuff to pretend she dint say anything. She herself said she stands by it. If you go in your neighbors yard and tell him where to stick it, you can't just walk back to your own and say "clean slate clean slate!" I think you can trust the people here not to get carried away. This isn't Ramstalk.
I just don't want to see this topic derailed any further than it already has been. And that's all I have to say about that.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Bernie is all over the place. At one moment he says that Stan could end up buying the Broncos. What the hell is he taking about lol
I think that's just a matter where if Kroenke owned the Broncos instead of the Rams, he's no longer in violation of cross ownership rules by owning the Denver Nuggers and Denver Avalanche (since cross ownership rules only affect if you own a team in a different NFL city than the one you're in... which is also why his ownership of Arsenal is not problematic.)

Since Kroenke has already announced plans to transfer those teams to his son, it doesn't seem likely to do some kind of franchise swap (which has happened to the Rams historically, but I don't see it happening in the modern era). Some people are just desperately searching for a way the team could stay in St. Louis. In my opinion, that doesn't happen unless Kroenke is enticed to stay.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Bernie is all over the place. At one moment he says that Stan could end up buying the Broncos. What the hell is he taking about lol

Breaking news: we go to a live look in at Bernie right now.

tumblr_mnpb8gtoWg1qbz6c0o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.