New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Could a Competing Stadium Deal Keep the Rams in St. Louis?
Chuck Chapman

January 23, 2015

NFC West, St. Louis Rams
Perhaps St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke is late to the Los Angeles NFL stadium party. Or so says one St. Louis media member who believes that the NFL already has a deal in place to bring another NFL team to Los Angeles.

Andy Strickland, appearing on KSDK’s Frank Cusumano’s radio show, said that he believes that San Diego Chargers’ owner Dean Spanos could already have deal in place to move the Chargers to LA. Citing an anonymous source within the St. Louis stadium effort, Strickland said,

“Spanos from the Chargers has a deal in place with Goldman-Sachs to build a new stadium and the NFL has asked him to hold off on announcing those plans.”

Strickland went on to add that the NFL might not be very happy with Kroenke’s announcement of his own stadium plans for Los Angeles.

Spanos has long been unhappy with his current situation in San Diego. Qualcomm stadium was built in 1967, and Spano, like Kroenke with St. Louis, is on a year-to-year lease with the city of San Diego. Many have speculated that he would block any potential move into the Southern California market, one the Chargers called home during their first year of existence in 1960.

Whether or not there’s any traction to the Spanos/Goldman-Sachs rumor, whoever has site on the LA market will likely have to deal with Dean Spanos before getting the NFL’s approval to move in.

http://www.endzonescore.com/competing-stadium-deal-keep-rams-st-louis/

I can't find more sources to this, just linking back to Andy apparently on the radio. So far nothing has anything else, so I can't tell if this is just some beat writer who wants to make a name for himself or if he just happens to have really good information before anyone else. Does anyone else have anything else, it's an interesting twist. Would like to know what Goldman-Sachs gets out of it, part of the team, etc.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Could a Competing Stadium Deal Keep the Rams in St. Louis?
Chuck Chapman

January 23, 2015

NFC West, St. Louis Rams
Perhaps St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke is late to the Los Angeles NFL stadium party. Or so says one St. Louis media member who believes that the NFL already has a deal in place to bring another NFL team to Los Angeles.

Andy Strickland, appearing on KSDK’s Frank Cusumano’s radio show, said that he believes that San Diego Chargers’ owner Dean Spanos could already have deal in place to move the Chargers to LA. Citing an anonymous source within the St. Louis stadium effort, Strickland said,

“Spanos from the Chargers has a deal in place with Goldman-Sachs to build a new stadium and the NFL has asked him to hold off on announcing those plans.”

Strickland went on to add that the NFL might not be very happy with Kroenke’s announcement of his own stadium plans for Los Angeles.

Spanos has long been unhappy with his current situation in San Diego. Qualcomm stadium was built in 1967, and Spano, like Kroenke with St. Louis, is on a year-to-year lease with the city of San Diego. Many have speculated that he would block any potential move into the Southern California market, one the Chargers called home during their first year of existence in 1960.

Whether or not there’s any traction to the Spanos/Goldman-Sachs rumor, whoever has site on the LA market will likely have to deal with Dean Spanos before getting the NFL’s approval to move in.

http://www.endzonescore.com/competing-stadium-deal-keep-rams-st-louis/
Wow, if this is true things will get very interesting.

Alan

Legend
I don't know if this has been posted so...
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_c8a4c76b-503b-5009-a032-cad2f22a4c2e.html
Strong words from Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney II, the chairman of the NFL’s stadium committee. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Rooney said the league expects Rams owner Stan Kroenke to abide by the rules on franchise relocation.

“There’s still a process that has to work its way out, and we don’t know what the outcome’s going to be yet,” Rooney said. “That’s why we have league committees and approval processes... I think we’re comfortable that we could stop a team legally from moving if it didn’t go through the process.”

Rooney added: “That’s why we have a process and why it’s incumbent on the league’s committees and league staff to manage the process so that, to the greatest extent possible, we exhaust the possibility of a team remaining in its home market.”

And this:

"Does the Los Angeles area have a fever for NFL football? Here’s an interesting comment by Scott Reid of the Orange County Register from his interview with St. Louis sports radio station WGNU (920 AM): “People aren’t in the streets demanding NFL football. They’re just not. There’s some people in Inglewood who think it would be a great thing. There’s some people in Inglewood who think it would be not so great. By and large the public in LA are like ‘yeah, who cares?’ The TV numbers in LA are still great, there’s still a lot of people playing fantasy football. It’s actually probably one of the most intense NFL cities in the country because you have all these fan bases here. The NFL is doing just fine in LA even without a team.”"

Sum1

Hall of Fame
By and large the public in LA are like ‘yeah, who cares?’ The TV numbers in LA are still great, there’s still a lot of people playing fantasy football. It’s actually probably one of the most intense NFL cities in the country because you have all these fan bases here. The NFL is doing just fine in LA even without a team.”"

When I heard this the wheels in my head started spinning. And what I'm about to state really is beyond the Rams, so don't take offense anyone in LA.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this crazy idea but I think it could be something really cool. Let's say that none of the three teams rumored to be looking to LA end up going and they stay in their current markets. What if the NFL moved forward with building a stadium that housed the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl every single year? On top of that maybe it could be the home of the NCAA National Championship game. And even further, what if on a rotating schedule amongst teams that the Thursday night games be played there.

It could really be a unique thing for the NFL to do.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
When I heard this the wheels in my head started spinning. And what I'm about to state really is beyond the Rams, so don't take offense anyone in LA.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this crazy idea but I think it could be something really cool. Let's say that none of the three teams rumored to be looking to LA end up going and they stay in their current markets. What if the NFL moved forward with building a stadium that housed the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl every single year? On top of that maybe it could be the home of the NCAA National Championship game. And even further, what if on a rotating schedule amongst teams that the Thursday night games be played there.

Would never happen, the owners spend all that dough on their own stadiums so they have an opportunity to host those events and collect that $

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Would never happen, the owners spend all that dough on their own stadiums so they have an opportunity to host those events and collect that $
Meh...$31 million dollars from each club and they split all the revenue that's generated. Obviously, I don't have any research into the financial gains and risks since it was just random idea...but still have to think plenty of money to be made in that scenario.

In any event...it would be interesting to see if the league as ever considered something like that and what the financial differences would be.

Alan

Legend
Sum1 forgetting that the devil's in the details:

The problem with anything happening like that anywhere on the west coast is the screwed up time zone. The NFL's desire to play the games during prime time would be a deterring factor IMO. Central or Mountain time would be preferable. Even Eastern works out better considering the huge market there. The western part of the US has California and a tiny market (comparatively speaking) in between them and the central/eastern part of the US.

It would be nice to have the SB actually played in a guaranteed neutral site every year. That would be better for the PB too except that I never watch it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Getting the land will not be a problem, I'm very confident in saying that. To me the biggest hurdle will be the part about selling the electorate on public funds, though I think they will get that done as well. If Stan ultimately ends up getting blocked from going to LA(if he truly intends on going), then he would almost have no choice but to pony up for the new stadium.

In the end I think that is more important to him than where his team is located.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

At least it's a new thought. And pretty intriguing if you ask me. I know the NFL would have to change their rules for Superbowls but it doesn't sound too whacked out to me. Let's face it, an NFL team only gets 8 games a year plus possible playoff games.

The interesting thought to me is that it would allow LA to host several teams including the Rams. You would still have the NFL back in LA but no one has to lose a team to do it.

Granted, the owners probably wouldn't go for it but it is interesting to think about.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Alan making up devilish details with his east coast bias said:
The problem with anything happening like that anywhere on the west coast is the screwed up time zone. The NFL's desire to play the games during prime time would be a deterring factor IMO. Central or Mountain time would be preferable. Even Eastern works out better considering the huge market there. The western part of the US has California and a tiny market (comparatively speaking) in between them and the central/eastern part of the US.

It would be nice to have the SB actually played in a guaranteed neutral site every year. That would be better for the PB too except that I never watch it.
And how does that differ with all the SBs that have been played on the West Coast? The PB in Hawaii?

RamBill

Legend

Fans could hold key to new stadium puzzle

• By David Hunn

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...8-8d9f-85a425b99d13.html#.VMPgxFT7iH4.twitter

ST. LOUIS • The costs of National Football League stadiums are rising. The portion covered by taxpayers is dipping.

And that leaves team owners looking to an old source to fill the gap:

Their fans.

Across the country, owners are selling personal seat licenses to help fund new billion-dollar glass-and-steel arenas. The seat licenses aren’t game-day tickets. Instead, they give fans their own spot in a new facility, and the right to buy season tickets every year.

Seat licenses have long been used. St. Louis sold about $80 million worth when enticing the Rams from Los Angeles.

But now they’re providing nine-figure stadium funding — a source planners here will lean on again.

San Francisco 49ers officials said last week that their seat-license program, which charged $80,000 for a high-end seat, raised $530 million toward the team’s $1.3 billion arena in Santa Clara, which opened last year.

The Atlanta Falcons, now working on a $1.4 billion stadium to replace the Georgia Dome, recently revealed that top seat license prices will rise to $45,000.

And the Minnesota Vikings surpassed goals toward $125 million in seat licenses for the team’s $1.1 billion downtown stadium, set to open next year.

Lester Bagley, the Vikings’ executive vice president for public affairs and stadium development, said the team didn’t have much of a choice. It had to replace the Metrodome. “We were at the bottom of the league in virtually every revenue category,” he said. “We built the stadium because we could not have survived in this market in that stadium, long-term.”

Here, in St. Louis, seat licenses are a pillar in the nearly $1 billion proposal to build a new football stadium rising along the Mississippi River downtown.

Early this month, a two-man team appointed by Gov. Jay Nixon revealed preliminary details of a plan to build a new football stadium here, and, perhaps, keep the Rams in St. Louis.

The two, former Anheuser-Busch President David Peacock and current Edward Jones Dome attorney Robert Blitz, pitched a riverfront arena on largely vacant land north of downtown.

Peacock and Blitz leaned on financing in other facilities when they crafted their plan. They incorporated $200 million in NFL loans — as has each recent new building. They included a $200 million match from Rams owner Stan Kroenke, as is required by the NFL loan. They estimated that extending payments on debt for the 20-year-old Edward Jones Dome, where the Rams now play, could provide another $350 million or so.

And the last major contribution? The sale of as much as $130 million in seat licenses.

Peacock has declined to discuss the seat licenses. Will Jones Dome seat license holders get preferential treatment? Will they get discounts? How much will the new seat licenses cost? Can the team sell enough to raise that kind of cash?

“We don’t know yet,” Peacock said after the initial announcement. “We have an understanding of what the value could be. Teams have done a lot of things. I think we have to acknowledge existing seat license holders.”

It’s an uncertain proposition for some fans.

“I wouldn’t buy another one,” said Larry Austell, a current Rams season-ticket holder. “I can see why it benefits the city and everything. But the bottom line is — what are you getting out of this?”

SKYROCKETING STADIUMS

In the 1990s, the decisions of two teams had a profound impact on stadium financing, say league observers.

The Rams left Los Angeles for St. Louis. And the New England Patriots tried to leave Boston for Connecticut.

The moves made the NFL rethink stadium financing. “The league said, ‘We’ve got to find a way to help teams stay in larger markets, so they’re not enticed by smaller markets that would give them free stadiums, or a significant public subsidy,’” said Marc Ganis, a stadium consultant and president of Chicago-based SportsCorp.

In 1999, NFL officials built a new loan program. It has since provided millions of dollars to stadium upgrades and rebuilds, and allowed owners to pay them off with ticket revenue and club seat premiums that would have gone back to the league anyway.

At the same time, stadium prices began to rise.

In 2009, owner Jerry Jones opened a $1.2 billion stadium for the Cowboys in Arlington, Texas. The next year, the $1.6 billion MetLife Stadium opened in New Jersey, home to two teams — the New York Giants and Jets.

To cover the cost, the Cowboys sold about $500 million in seat licenses; the Giants and Jets, selling separately, raised more than $600 million between the two of them.

It’s a new world, said Mark Lamping, the former Anheuser-Busch and St. Louis Cardinals executive who spearheaded construction of MetLife and is now president of the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars. Fans don’t want a beer and a hot dog alone. They want to check their fantasy football teams online. They want instant replays — and not one, but several, from different angles. They want fine dining.

At its core, it’s about filling stands, he said.

“It makes the TV product better,” Lamping said. “Players tend to perform better in front of a packed house. And full stadiums also mean a reasonable amount of local revenue is being generated.”

Because so much of the NFL’s national television revenue is shared, dollars that aren’t shared — parking, beer, food, stadium sponsorships, premium seating — are really important to owners, Lamping said.

“The key to the Jaguars becoming a very stable, sustainable franchise in Jacksonville is growing our local revenue,” Lamping said. “So everything we do — stadium improvements, relationships with media, who handles food and beverage — all of our decisions are measured against the metric of what it’s going to do to local revenue.

“The more local revenue you generate, the more stable your franchise is going to be, the more valuable your franchise is going to be, the more profitable your franchise is going to be.”

The St. Louis plan, Lamping said, is reasonable. It includes a nice mix of funding.

But as a smaller market, he warned, it will take more public funding than New York or San Francisco or Los Angeles.

And a stadium in Los Angeles — where Kroenke has promised to build — could handle two teams, get twice the NFL loan and sell double the number of seat licenses for, perhaps, twice as much.

for comparison

Minnesota may provide a comparable example for St. Louis.

And Vikings officials fought for years to line up public money.

“We spent 12 years at the Capitol battling to try to solve the issue of financing a new stadium,” said Bagley, the vice president for stadium development.

Bagley and others argued that public support would keep the Vikings in Minneapolis.

“There are only so many NFL teams,” Bagley said, “and many cities that would like to have one.”

Team officials also lobbied the Legislature that a new stadium downtown would benefit the state and spur development.

After a fight, the state agreed to pay $348 million toward a new stadium, adding to $150 million from the city.

Bagley said last week that stadium supporters already have proved their point. The new stadium is still in construction, and the neighborhood around it is already booming. City staff told him companies have taken out $2 billion in construction permits in the area, of which only half represent the stadium itself.

Moreover, he said, the new stadium already has secured the 2018 Super Bowl, and is in the running for collegiate basketball’s Final Four, college football’s Bowl Championship Series and even a Major League Soccer franchise.

During the debate over funding in the Legislature, opponents trotted out studies and experts showing no economic benefit to football stadiums.

“That’s simply not true,” Bagley said. “In fact, everything we said is coming true.”

There’s a long way to go in St. Louis. Stadium opponents are already voicing heated opposition, talking to legislators and issuing press releases. Legislators are arguing that they won’t extend state payments.

But even if all of that works out, the future of the NFL in St. Louis may rest with fans like Austell, the season ticket holder.

Austell, a retired sheriff’s deputy who lives in East St. Louis, said he paid $2,500 per seat for two seats before the Edward Jones Dome even opened. To get equivalent seats this time, he guesses he’ll have to pay an extra $1,000 — when he could just buy tickets online for each game.

“Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy being a season ticket holder,” he said. “I love football. Football is my No. 1 sport.”

Then Austell paused for a minute. If the stadium actually happens, he said, and he then begins to see progress on the riverfront — well, he just might change his mind.

Especially, he said, if the planned open-air stadium would add one more luxury: a retractable roof.

He’s 61. He doesn’t like the cold much anymore.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 thinking it's already screwed up:
And how does that differ with all the SBs that have been played on the West Coast? The PB in Hawaii?
It doesn't but they bite the bullet on those occasions. My point being that it isn't a preferred situation and doesn't maximize their profits.

The PB is already not being played in Hawaii this year. Why do you think that is considering all the players love the vacation there with their families?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340271/article/2015-pro-bowl-to-be-played-in-arizona
2015 Pro Bowl to be played in Arizona
The NFL hasn't finished making tweaks to the Pro Bowl.

The league on Wednesday announced locations for its next two annual all-star games, with Arizona hosting the matchup in 2015 before a planned return to Hawaii in 2016.

2014 Pro Bowl
Take a look at the NFL's brightest stars as they take part in the 2014 Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
Glendale's University of Phoenix Stadium is slated to host the Pro Bowl on Sunday, January 25, 2015, one week before Super Bowl XLIX kicks off at the same venue. It's the first time the affair has been stationed at a Super Bowl site since 2010, when Miami's Sun Life Stadium hosted the event.

Then it's slated to go back to Hawaii, with Aloha Stadium marked to host the game on January 31, 2016. The NFL also has an agreement with the state of Hawaii to play the Pro Bowl at the same site beyond the 2016 campaign, but those details are pending.

It's the latest in a wave of changes to a contest that still is questioned regarding its existence. This year's game was the first "unconferenced" tilt, with players selected without concern to their conference through voting by the fans, coaches and players.

The warm-weather locale makes Arizona a natural fit, but we have yet to hear what the players feel about losing a trip our nation's glorious 50th state.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ould-Very-Very-Worried-About-Losing-Rams.aspx

Ryan: St. Louis Should 'Very, Very' Worried About Losing Rams

Award-winning former Boston Globe columnist Bob Ryan has covered sports for more than 40 years

Ryan, who's covered five Super Bowls, was asked what he thought about the possibility of the Rams leaving St. Louis when chatting with Frank Cusumano on Friday's Hollywood Casino Press Box. Specifically, Cusumano asked Ryan if he believes Rams owner Stan Kroenke would have to abide by the current NFL's relocation bylaws in order to move to California.

"Based on (NFL Commissioner Roger) Goodell's recent track of adjudication, skirting the rules that exist wouldn't surprise anybody because he's making everything up as he goes along," Ryan said.

Ryan said Goodell and the NFL will have to make up the relocation rules as they go along because the only punishment on the books is a $25,000 fine.

"I would be worried (if I were a St. Louis fan). I'd be very, very, very, very worried. Money always talks in our society," Ryan said. "The LA thing has been hanging out there for so long. Sooner or later it's going to happen. It would be very unfortunate and sad. I wouldn't trust anybody in the NFL to do the right thing in this regard. I'd be pretty naive to think the money wouldn't speak."

Ryan's comments more than a week after NFL executive Eric Grubman met with St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay. That same day, Grubman talked with Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz, the two-man stadium task force appointed by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon. Rams COO Kevin Demoff also met with Peacock and Blitz.

All the meetings were deemed positive, according to Fox 2’s Martin Kilcoyne.
=====

Posted mainly for the bolded italic part. If there's ANY truth to that, then $25K is NOTHING to Kroenke.

bluecoconuts

Legend

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just don't buy that if Stan has a plan and approval from Inglewood AND is willing to pay for the whole thing that the NFL will block it because they want to leave it open for teams to use as leverage. It might be the only case I could see where Stan definitely sues. That is not how business is done and it would really be difficult to defend.

Unless SK is going to write a check for a billion or really close and possibly much more he isn't waltzing into LA. People forget the NFL actually OWNS THE RIGHTS to the markets, owners have to pay to be in them.

So he has to give up a billion just to be in the market, not counting everything else being talked about in that 4 billion dollar playground.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Alan posting nothing that backs up his argument said:
It doesn't but they bite the bullet on those occasions. My point being that it isn't a preferred situation and doesn't maximize their profits.

The PB is already not being played in Hawaii this year. Why do you think that is considering all the players love the vacation there with their families?

Hmmmmmm..... The SB is being played in AZ only one hour difference from the WEST coast and TWO hours difference from the East coast. Where is the next one being played? Oh yeah - Santa Clara, CA.

Superbowls and Probowls can be played at any time of day so there really isn't a problem with the whole primetime spot as it pertains to the East coast. It is not like regular season games where they are primarily played at 10am or 1pm PST.

Monday Night Football has been pretty successful - no? They start around 5pm PST on a weekday. Same with Thursday games.

I don't buy the idea that East coast SBs make the NFL more money.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Unless SK is going to write a check for a billion or really close and possibly much more he isn't waltzing into LA. People forget the NFL actually OWNS THE RIGHTS to the markets, owners have to pay to be in them.

So he has to give up a billion just to be in the market, not counting everything else being talked about in that 4 billion dollar playground.
I wouldn't take that for gospel. If the NFL tried to enforce that ruling, there'd almost certainly be a lawsuit, and the NFL hasn't done well in those kinds of suits.

Plus it'd be even more negative publicity for them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Somehow I doubt Stan doesn't already have that factored in if he is indeed offering to build a stadium on his dime. This can't possibly be something he would be blind sided by.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

OK, so what did Georgia Frontierre have to pay the league in order to move the Rams to St Louis in 1995? Because that move was originally voted against.

Status
Not open for further replies.