New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBill

Legend
Has Chargers/Raiders stadium project really leaped ahead of Rams’ Inglewood stadium?
Posted on May 29, 2015 by Vincent Bonsignore

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2015...eally-leaped-ahead-of-rams-inglewood-stadium/

One of the interesting takeaways from last week’s NFL owners meetings in San Francisco is the national perception that the Chargers’ and Raiders’ Carson stadium plan has nudged ahead of Ram’s owner Stan Kroenke’s Inglewood project.

If you read some of the reports coming out of the meetings, the consensus seems to be the Chargers and Raiders now have the edge over the Rams should all this come down to a vote between the three teams and two plans.

I don’t necessarily see it that way. To me, the two projects were virtually neck and neck heading into last week and when the meetings wrapped up Wednesday that remained the case.

What’s changed, I believe, is more and more people finally realizing Carson is a legit plan with legit interest from the NFL and not just a smokescreen by the Chargers and Raiders to motivate San Diego and Oakland leaders into helping them build new stadiums.

As I’ve said all along, the need for smokescreens and leverage is long gone. The fact is, the Chargers and Raiders seem likely to need new homes. The work and money being invested in Carson is to insure the clubs have a soft landing spot in case new stadiums don’t emerge locally.

And the longer this drags on without a local solution, the more people begin seeing Carson for what it truly is: A very real, very legitimate back-up plan for the Raiders and Chargers. Perhaps even their next home.

It also didn’t hurt Carson’s cause that long-time NFL executive Carmen Policy was hired as the point man the day before the meetings began and the land transaction between the Chargers, Raiders and Carson officially closed on the very morning owners and reporters began gathering in the Bay Area.

The well-timed announcements resulted in a noticeable buzz. Momentum soon followed.

Nothing changed, necessarily. But perception was altered. All of a sudden, Carson became more real and viable.

But that’s been the case for sometime. Only now, people are beginning to see it as such.

Still, it’s a mistake to think Carson has now leaped ahead of Kroenke’s Inglewood project.

They are in a dead heat. Have been for some time.

So much so that the ultimate deciding factor isn’t so much whether the NFL prefers Inglewood or Carson as it is what’s on the table from St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland.

And by deciding factor, we mean who NFL owners deem the most justified to relocate to Los Angeles.

Even then, depending on what Kroenke’s true intentions are this still might come down back-door negotiations in which all three teams work toward a solution in which they each walk away satisfied.

As far as Carson and Inglewood, they’re neck and neck.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

So was Secretariat and Sham at Belmont at one point.
Secretariat-Belmont-Stakes-Start-NB.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what Peacock and The governor has said. That extending the bonds would place no extra tax burden on the citizens and if that's the case I think the court is going to rule in their favor because why do you need a vote if the outcome doesn't change anything

Choice of words there imo. It's not a burden on tax payers but those hundreds of millions could be used for the tax payers. The bond is set to end in 2021 and after that the tax would go into the general fund. Instead they want it to still go to a stadium for several more years. Yes that's right it isn't a burden, especially since it generally isn't paid by locals, but it could be used for those locals.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has Chargers/Raiders stadium project really leaped ahead of Rams’ Inglewood stadium?
Posted on May 29, 2015 by Vincent Bonsignore

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2015...eally-leaped-ahead-of-rams-inglewood-stadium/

One of the interesting takeaways from last week’s NFL owners meetings in San Francisco is the national perception that the Chargers’ and Raiders’ Carson stadium plan has nudged ahead of Ram’s owner Stan Kroenke’s Inglewood project.

If you read some of the reports coming out of the meetings, the consensus seems to be the Chargers and Raiders now have the edge over the Rams should all this come down to a vote between the three teams and two plans.

I don’t necessarily see it that way. To me, the two projects were virtually neck and neck heading into last week and when the meetings wrapped up Wednesday that remained the case.

What’s changed, I believe, is more and more people finally realizing Carson is a legit plan with legit interest from the NFL and not just a smokescreen by the Chargers and Raiders to motivate San Diego and Oakland leaders into helping them build new stadiums.

As I’ve said all along, the need for smokescreens and leverage is long gone. The fact is, the Chargers and Raiders seem likely to need new homes. The work and money being invested in Carson is to insure the clubs have a soft landing spot in case new stadiums don’t emerge locally.

And the longer this drags on without a local solution, the more people begin seeing Carson for what it truly is: A very real, very legitimate back-up plan for the Raiders and Chargers. Perhaps even their next home.

It also didn’t hurt Carson’s cause that long-time NFL executive Carmen Policy was hired as the point man the day before the meetings began and the land transaction between the Chargers, Raiders and Carson officially closed on the very morning owners and reporters began gathering in the Bay Area.

The well-timed announcements resulted in a noticeable buzz. Momentum soon followed.

Nothing changed, necessarily. But perception was altered. All of a sudden, Carson became more real and viable.

But that’s been the case for sometime. Only now, people are beginning to see it as such.

Still, it’s a mistake to think Carson has now leaped ahead of Kroenke’s Inglewood project.

They are in a dead heat. Have been for some time.

So much so that the ultimate deciding factor isn’t so much whether the NFL prefers Inglewood or Carson as it is what’s on the table from St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland.

And by deciding factor, we mean who NFL owners deem the most justified to relocate to Los Angeles.

Even then, depending on what Kroenke’s true intentions are this still might come down back-door negotiations in which all three teams work toward a solution in which they each walk away satisfied.

Click bait title is obvious fail! Title should read something about it's more popular with other owners/NFL. Because there is no way anybody could think it's ahead of Inglewood on a time table for completion.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
In fairness, what do you think they were gonna say? "We're really concerned we screwed up? We're toast?" Now there could be nothing here, but I'd expect them to say nothing less.

In fairness to Peacock, has he sugar coated anything thus far? I think he's been pretty damn transparent when answering questions.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In fairness to Peacock, has he sugar coated anything thus far? I think he's been pretty damn transparent when answering questions.

Yes and no. He does have a job to do, if he were to say that there was worry about the financing, even if there was, then that could totally throw things off the rail. Similar to the market studies, if they're not very good (and I'm a little worried they're not because we're not hearing lots of good things about them yet and it should be to the task force by now) then it can destroy support for the project and ultimately kill the project.

He's not going to outright lie or anything, but they need to spin everything as positive as possible, one slip up could give Kroenke his easy way out.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Similar to the market studies, if they're not very good (and I'm a little worried they're not because we're not hearing lots of good things about them yet and it should be to the task force by now) then it can destroy support for the project and ultimately kill the project.

What I had heard about the market study was, that there was positive support for PSL's, but the corporate support was down due to Kroenke not wanting to commit to the city.

ramfaninsd

UDFA
What I had heard about the market study was, that there was positive support for PSL's, but the corporate support was down due to Kroenke not wanting to commit to the city.

i am in san diego and i would like to see the chargers stay but i am a ram fan that being said if i was asked if i would purchase a psl i would say yes even though i had no intention of doing so coz i don't want to see the chargers relocate. so cannot the market studies be manipulated.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Yeah, that worries me a little, because I think the NFL will care more about businessess. Fans think with their heart, there will be people who said yes who won't get them, and people who said they'd pay a high price when they won't be able to. If Peacock can get those business leaders to sign on with a letter to the NFL that could help though.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Very true, but he has also been following orders from a politician with the surname of Nixon and history shows us that can ruin the most honorable of men!
Bob+Haldeman.jpg

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yeah, that worries me a little, because I think the NFL will care more about businessess. Fans think with their heart, there will be people who said yes who won't get them, and people who said they'd pay a high price when they won't be able to. If Peacock can get those business leaders to sign on with a letter to the NFL that could help though.

The market study is just more b.s. to cover the NFL when it makes a decision. What do they need to know really?

Is the attendance good? Yes.
Attendance in context of the team on the field? Very good.
Is Kroenke losing money? Not just no but hell no.
Is he making money? Yes
Is his lease making life hard for him or preventing him putting a quality product on the field? No, reference GSOT.
Is St Louis at the table and moving at least at the speed of previous cities? Yes.

These things really aren't even debatable. The shock 24hrs news guys aren't even pushing these things anymore. The fact that market studies are even being done shows that the bylaws aren't even good for toilet paper. So, does it really matter what the study says?

If it says good PSL support, they'll say, "oh that corporate support is down, that's a big no no."

Got corporate support? "Oh, but the PSL isn't where we like it, how sad for you."

"What do you mean Kroenke has purposefully pissed of area business leaders? Looks like lukewarm support to me."

At this point (cough like our playoff chances the last few years cough) we're going to need outside help getting in. By that I mean Carson becoming a reality. Otherwise, they'll just pick a reason to allow him to move. Sounds negative but has a city ever held on to a team whose owner is this determined to move? So determined that instead of spending between $250 & 400 million he wants to spend $2 billion? I probably don't need to ask fans of the Rams pre 1994 that question.

Long story short, I think the market study is b.s. It's as legit as a $3 Bill.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad

Maybe not sugar coat, but when he mentioned SK perhaps selling the Rams so that they could stay as being a real possibility was way out there. Pretty certain exploring that option is not on SK's to-do list, not under the present circumstances. Seemed pretty irresponsible to even throw it out there.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Another thing to keep in mind is that even though the discussion has repeatedly returned to whether Stan would disregard a failed attempt at getting the three quarters owners votes to approve the move and "go rogue," people forget that both Davis and Spanos would also be subject to the same vote. The rumors we're hearing is that the Inglewood and Carson project are currently running neck and neck to the owners. This could very well change in another month in favor of either side, but at the very least, it means there are those who favor the Inglewood deal and could very well allow for Stan to garner votes in favor of his deal and against the Carson deal. I recognize there's a bit of a leap from the owners favoring Inglewood to actually voting against allowing the two AFC teams to move, but you have think this is also a legitimate issue.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's kind of funny though that Davis and Spanos are perceived to be liked by the other owners because they've worked with the local community. What have they done exactly other than refuse plan after plan that didn't pay for most if not all of the new stadiums? They've done nothing that Stan hasn't done, and Stan is supposed to be hated for it yet they're liked.

Also nobody should expect anything but sugar coated rays of sunshine coming from the mouths of anybody working on one of the 5 stadium projects right now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Another thing to keep in mind is that even though the discussion has repeatedly returned to whether Stan would disregard a failed attempt at getting the three quarters owners votes to approve the move and "go rogue," people forget that both Davis and Spanos would also be subject to the same vote. The rumors we're hearing is that the Inglewood and Carson project are currently running neck and neck to the owners. This could very well change in another month in favor of either side, but at the very least, it means there are those who favor the Inglewood deal and could very well allow for Stan to garner votes in favor of his deal and against the Carson deal. I recognize there's a bit of a leap from the owners favoring Inglewood to actually voting against allowing the two AFC teams to move, but you have think this is also a legitimate issue.

Carson needs those votes too, but they already have 2. If they can get others to deny Kroenke, they need less votes than he does. I think those saying that Goodell will need to actually sit and do his job are probably more on point over the process. Most owners will be happy to vote for either project, it depends on which one everyone else is doing. Goodell needs to sit down and examine each project, and then go from there. Talk to everyone, get the agreement, and then before its time to file have it all set out and ready.

While he's examining the project, stick Kroenke, Davis, and Spanos together and see if they work it out. If not, tell them the direction they're going and work it out from there.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's kind of funny though that Davis and Spanos are perceived to be liked by the other owners because they've worked with the local community.

And in my experience wealthy people love wealthier people especially if that said person is going to make them more wealthy....Follow the money always follow the money and it always begins and ends there!

Status
Not open for further replies.