New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Perception in St Louis maybe, but I would say he has to most others. Demoff has been there, both in stadium negotiations and in guaging fan support. More than Davis or Spanos as far as I can tell. I think the idea that because he hasn't personally sat down therefore he hasn't worked in good faith is a bit misguided. Demoff has been very engaged and available, I think that very much works for him.

Either way, his statements certainly sound like the NFL is moving the goal posts, and giving themselves even more wiggle room.

I am not sure I would agree the Demoff has been very engaged or even available if you believe the report the NFL required Demoff to sit in on meetings. That is not being engaged or an active participant in this process. Fan support is being gauged by the NFL not the Rams. We know that Spanos met with the Mayor of SD and according to Davis himself he is working with the folks in Oakland. Stan has ignored phone calls from everyone up to the Governor. I think that the NFL is giving themselves heaps of wiggle room because they helped create this mess and no matter how it shakes out they are going to take a PR hit from one City.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
NFL exec warns San Diego that time is short on stadium front
By BERNIE WILSON (AP Sports Writer)

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- With momentum building for an NFL team to move to Los Angeles, ''time could be quite short'' for San Diego to resolve the contentious issue of building the Chargers a new stadium, the NFL's point man on relocation said Tuesday.

Eric Grubman, the NFL's executive vice president, met with a sub-group of Mayor Kevin Faulconer's Citizens Stadium Advisory Group a week after holding a conference call with the full group.

Afterward, Grubman said that while the advisory group seems enthusiastic about finding a solution, ''as of yet, there hasn't been any proposal that would get everybody on the same page. That to me is really the next task.''

Grubman said, however, that he didn't come to town expecting everybody to be on the same page.

''That's not unusual,'' he said during a news conference. ''At the point in time where everyone decides to dig in and try to get a project done, almost always people are on different pages. They have to work to get on the same page. What's different here than in some of the cities that we've worked with, is the time frame to work through those differences and get on same page, that time could be quite short.''

That's because the Chargers and their biggest rivals, the Oakland Raiders, in February announced plans to build a $1.7 billion stadium in the Los Angeles suburb of Carson if they don't get new stadiums in their current hometowns.

The AFC West foes were responding to the possibility of the St. Louis Rams moving to Los Angeles. Rams owner Stan Kroenke is part of a joint venture that wants to build an 80,000-seat stadium in the L.A. suburb of Inglewood.

The advisory group has set May 20 as its deadline for announcing the plan it will recommend to Faulconer for financing a new stadium at the site of aging Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley.

''I haven't heard the Chargers express support for what we're doing yet, but we're at the early stages,'' advisory group chairman Adam Day said during a separate news conference. ''This is just the beginning. When we hand off our recommendations to the mayor, that really is the starting point for the city and the team to start negotiating the final details. But I would agree that what we recommend will need to be embraced at some level by the team, and we hope we'll put together a plan they will support.''

Day said the meeting with Grubman was positive and ''helped bring CSAG and the Chargers closer together today. We discussed the art of the possible and the importance of working together to develop a financing plan that's fair and works for San Diego and the Chargers. We all left the meeting feeling good about where we're at and what's ahead. That said, we still have a lot of work to do to meet our objective.''

Faulconer has said he wants the issue decided by a public vote, which could be county-wide. That vote could be in June or November 2016.

However, Grubman said waiting that long could be ''a risk that's probably difficult for a team to bear. ''

Currently, the window for a team filing an intent to relocate is between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15.

Chargers point man Mark Fabiani declined to comment.

Fabiani, who represents Chargers chairman Dean Spanos, criticized Faulconer in January for forming the advisory group. Fabiani then warned the panel not to come up with any ''half-baked'' stadium schemes and said the team has ''no intention of quietly participating in any effort to provide political cover for elected officials.''

While telling the advisory group that the team would support a stadium either downtown or at the current site, Fabiani has suggested that Mission Valley is a ''complicated site.''

---

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-exec-warns-san-diego-time-short-stadium-215528422--nfl.html

bluecoconuts

Legend
I am not sure I would agree the Demoff has been very engaged or even available if you believe the report the NFL required Demoff to sit in on meetings. That is not being engaged or an active participant in this process. Fan support is being gauged by the NFL not the Rams. We know that Spanos met with the Mayor of SD and according to Davis himself he is working with the folks in Oakland. Stan has ignored phone calls from everyone up to the Governor. I think that the NFL is giving themselves heaps of wiggle room because they helped create this mess and no matter how it shakes out they are going to take a PR hit from one City.

Is Demoff required to go to meetings? And even if he is required how do you say that's not enough, what does he need to do? He's given feedback to the stadium commission, which has directly led to changes in the plans, according to Jim Thomas Demoff hasn't cut himself off from the media, it sounds like he's being engaged and an active participant to me. Is he supposed to help secure financing or land? No, that would be ridiculous. Fan support is being gauged by the NFL, yes, but reports were Demoff was watching behind two way glass, I don't think he had to do that. So Kroenke himself isn't talking to people, but why does he need to? He has a guy for that. There shouldn't be surprise that Kroenke is having someone else be his eyes and ears, that's what he always does. I agree, the NFL is going to take a PR hit from one city, but what they'll probably care more about is how the rest of the NFL fans feel. It's about the big picture.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
This is so true. I've said all along that out of the 4 cities LA is the one that should lose by not getting a team. The Carson thing is the worst because two bases lose their team. And SD/Oak in LA doesn't make it any better just because they are still in California. Not the same. Ask Oak and SD fan. And very few in LA want them anyway.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Is Demoff required to go to meetings? And even if he is required how do you say that's not enough, what does he need to do? He's given feedback to the stadium commission, which has directly led to changes in the plans, according to Jim Thomas Demoff hasn't cut himself off from the media, it sounds like he's being engaged and an active participant to me. Is he supposed to help secure financing or land? No, that would be ridiculous. Fan support is being gauged by the NFL, yes, but reports were Demoff was watching behind two way glass, I don't think he had to do that. So Kroenke himself isn't talking to people, but why does he need to? He has a guy for that. There shouldn't be surprise that Kroenke is having someone else be his eyes and ears, that's what he always does. I agree, the NFL is going to take a PR hit from one city, but what they'll probably care more about is how the rest of the NFL fans feel. It's about the big picture.
Those who vote for the underdog won't dig this. Old schoolers still don't know why the Rams left LA. My guess is that a Rams return would be easiest to spin besides no one leaving their current markets at all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The funnier thing to me is how hard the NFL is trying to look like they're somehow in control of the situation when clearly they're not.

I am not certain this is true, but I've thought the same.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
True - although - It sounds like Bowlen wants the team to stay in the family - and billionaires don't pay taxes anyway.

It's more than that. The team has already been put in a Trust. The Broncos will not be for sale anytime in the near future.

wsaladen

Rookie
The St.Louis Rams are where they belong and need to be, in St.Louis. I like the sound of the LA Raiders better. The only city that can argue about the team returning home is Cleveland not LA, remember. The Rams are here to stay.

myronjax

UDFA
Thanks for the post "BuiltRamTough" ! For those wanting to hear only the comments regarding LA, skip forward to 3:37-to the end. Spoiler alert: No mention of any efforts to keep teams in their existing markets if at all possible.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Thanks for the post "BuiltRamTough" ! For those wanting to hear only the comments regarding LA, skip forward to 3:37-to the end. Spoiler alert: No mention of any efforts to keep teams in their existing markets if at all possible.
Just put the entire NFL in LA. Stan can build an 80 million seat stadium and be the owner of every team. In fact, make him the commissioner, and the president, and the CEO of everything. Let's name it the SKL. The Stan Kroenke League. He can play all the positions and win the next 500 Super Bowls.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The way Mara was talking it sounds like it's a done deal for a team to be playing in LA in 2016 in a temp site. I read between the lines and that can only be the Rams to me. San Diego and Oakland don't have Carson squared away yet. I don't think the league wants 2 teams to move to LA at the same time if a temporary home is needed. Inglewood is going through the fine details and should be ready for construction in December. All the legal ends appear to be tied up on that site. Now the question to me is will they be at the Rose Bowl or Coliseum for the temp home?

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
The way Mara was talking it sounds like it's a done deal for a team to be playing in LA in 2016 in a temp site. I read between the lines and that can only be the Rams to me. San Diego and Oakland don't have Carson squared away yet. I don't think the league wants 2 teams to move to LA at the same time if a temporary home is needed. Inglewood is going through the fine details and should be ready for construction in December. All the legal ends appear to be tied up on that site. Now the question to me is will they be at the Rose Bowl or Coliseum for the temp home?

You and I read things very differently. There was nothing between the lines or otherwise that would indicate it can only be the Rams. Mara mentioned that there should be one stadium for two teams and the biggest hurdle to two teams in a stadium is coming to an agreement on an partnership. The Chargers and Raiders already have that agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.