New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh I've been clear from the beginning I'm a St Louis football fan. Started at 8 yrs old with the Cardinals. Certainly, I want the Rams to stay. I've been a big fan for 20 years. Watched every game. I wouldn't be posting on here at all hours if I didn't care.
But the local aspect of having a team is what makes sports fun for me. The sports bar filled with the same jerseys cheering at the same time. When I was in the military we had 20 people wearing 20 jerseys arguing about which games were going to be on. Usually the owners went with the big market teams. It's just pathetic as a sports experience, and after 2 teams not worth the effort if caring IMO. And of course, no game to attend, no tickets to get, no excitement that everyone gets. That's one reason, the most important one.

Second, using your dance analogy, I'm not going to sit on the sides crying while my team dances with someone else. Some people may think that unreasonable. But our situation isn't like the Raiders or the Chargers. Our current stadium, while certainly not flashy, isn't falling apart. Our fan base supports the team, arguably far beyond what the product on the field deserves. Stan is trying to move because he wants to, not because he needs to, to increase the value. The fact is the value of the franchise would be better if they hadn't had a tradition of losing. Many will disagree but for me there it is in a small nutshell.
Very nicely put. This is why I would never call out the St Louis fan base. I expect that there are many others like you. I can completely get with being devoted to your town and who plays there. Cheers to you man.

I've been a Rams fan my entire life. I'm 3rd generation raising two 4th generation Rams nuts. But loyalty goes many ways and this kind of fandom is what any city would want. Just awesome. Thanks blue4.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dude...let's continue to keep this discussion civil please
That's alright Rhody. I kinda asked for that one. But I'm pretty much done with this circular topic that really amounts to nothing but bickering. Thanks for watching out though. Cheers man.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Great points I remember those sport bars (was in the military too) however, because myself and five other Ram fans were first in line they always put on our games. I concur about the stadium issue, but many in Los Angeles would debate that is how the people of St. Louis got the Rams in the first place making a deal with the devil "John Shaw" who ensured to have the special clause in there to ensure they always had a top tier stadium.

I agree with you about the product, it's been abysmal and has challenged the most loyal of Ram faithful and I have always posted that St. Louis football fans get a bum wrap and the reason they do is because they are such great baseball fans, but the Cardinals are always in contention plus nobody debates their passion about their hockey team and the Blues have never truly won a thing.

In the end @blue4 most of us are on the same page, but you also have to understand the Southern California fans who felt there was never a reason for Georgia to leave back then and the product was bad too albeit only five straight losing seasons.

I fully understand and sympathize with the Rams fans from LA. To be honest, you guys are showing far more sympathy to us in 2015 than I showed you in 1995. I was so freaking pumped (and young) about getting a team I never bothered to wonder if we were kicking another city in the nuts. If we have to lose our team I'm glad it will be going back to LA and not some 3rd interloper like San Antonio.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Very nicely put. This is why I would never call out the St Louis fan base. I expect that there are many others like you. I can completely get with being devoted to your town and who plays there. Cheers to you man.

I've been a Rams fan my entire life. I'm 3rd generation raising two 4th generation Rams nuts. But loyalty goes many ways and this kind of fandom is what any city would want. Just awesome. Thanks blue4.

Everyone's got their ways. I think my attitude on this is driven more by the experience of the Cardinals leaving then what we're going thru know. When you've been a big fan of two franchises the prospect of starting over with a new team is much less daunting than the thought of no team.

And also, I've become a big fan of the arch grounds renovation, which would be greatly enhanced by a new stadium. A team is good for the city, so that makes a huge difference in my attitude as well.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The fact is the value of the franchise would be better if they hadn't had a tradition of losing.

That and a tradition of moving. Hard to get a really deep devoted fan base (which brings more value) when you can't have a grandfather give his grandson tickets to a game for his 6th birthday and talk to him about when he was 6 he went to his first game.

tonyl711

Starter
So are you posting you don't care who you dance with? I guess we are different there I am a Ram fan, but I want the Rams in that stadium. However, I did root for the Rams when they were in Los Angeles so for me it's all about the Horns, but IMO, it would be sad if the people of St. Louis had to root for another football team that is why Peacock continues to stipulate..."Our focus are the Rams."
exactly, although im sure over time I would adopt any other team that came to St Louis, it would take a while for the fan base to grow around yet another team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
my only point here is that both cities are circumventing a public vote, a whats good for the goose is good for the gander type thing.

The situations are both different in multiple levels, so what one does means nothing about what the other should/can do, but okay.

Big Unit

UDFA
Everyone's got their ways. I think my attitude on this is driven more by the experience of the Cardinals leaving then what we're going thru know. When you've been a big fan of two franchises the prospect of starting over with a new team is much less daunting than the thought of no team.

And also, I've become a big fan of the arch grounds renovation, which would be greatly enhanced by a new stadium. A team is good for the city, so that makes a huge difference in my attitude as well.
You've got it, Blue - I feel exactly the same way. I want the Rams here; but mostly I want the NFL here; and have become a big fan of the city/arch/river plan. Like so many cities, St. Louis sold its birthright - its location on the Mississippi and as the staging area for development of the West - to the automobile; thereby isolating downtown from the River. They're finally fixing that, and the stadium is a perfect fit.

I want the Rams here; Super Bowl XXXIV was won by the ST. LOUIS Rams; and the ST. LOUIS Rams were the first victims of spygate. Those things happened here; not elsewhere. And I want to share that heritage with the next generation. But it is easier to start over with a new team, than to have no team here. I'll continue a Rams fan so long as St. Louis has a team; the NFL will take a major hit in my mind if they have no team here.

St. Louis isn't better than LA, since LA has apparently come to its senses. But St. Louis IS better than Oakland, so long as there are the Niners in the Bay Area; and St. Louis IS better than San Diego, IF there are at the same time 2 teams in LA. How can anyone argue otherwise?

My sense is that St. Louis Rams fans want the Rams - choice 1A; but want the NFL, regardless - choice 1B. LA Rams fans want the Rams - choice 1A; do they even want the NFL, if one team is not the Rams - choice 1B?

And you're right about the old Cardinals, too. St. Louis went something like 25 years without a home playoff game, with that team. Now they're suffering again; they deserve a team.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You've got it, Blue - I feel exactly the same way. I want the Rams here; but mostly I want the NFL here; and have become a big fan of the city/arch/river plan. Like so many cities, St. Louis sold its birthright - its location on the Mississippi and as the staging area for development of the West - to the automobile; thereby isolating downtown from the River. They're finally fixing that, and the stadium is a perfect fit.

I want the Rams here; Super Bowl XXXIV was won by the ST. LOUIS Rams; and the ST. LOUIS Rams were the first victims of spygate. Those things happened here; not elsewhere. And I want to share that heritage with the next generation. But it is easier to start over with a new team, than to have no team here. I'll continue a Rams fan so long as St. Louis has a team; the NFL will take a major hit in my mind if they have no team here.

St. Louis isn't better than LA, since LA has apparently come to its senses. But St. Louis IS better than Oakland, so long as there are the Niners in the Bay Area; and St. Louis IS better than San Diego, IF there are at the same time 2 teams in LA. How can anyone argue otherwise?

My sense is that St. Louis Rams fans want the Rams - choice 1A; but want the NFL, regardless - choice 1B. LA Rams fans want the Rams - choice 1A; do they even want the NFL, if one team is not the Rams - choice 1B?

And you're right about the old Cardinals, too. St. Louis went something like 25 years without a home playoff game, with that team. Now they're suffering again; they deserve a team.

If by better you mean more attractive from a market standpoint, I agree STL looks pretty good if a new stadium is built.

It's a stressful time for STL isn't it? Just think, by 2017 we can either have a new stadium, riverfront, and NFL and MLS team. Or jack shit. If our state senate fucks this up, I may actually become politically active for the first time.

Big Unit

UDFA
If by better you mean more attractive from a market standpoint, I agree STL looks pretty good if a new stadium is built.

It's a stressful time for STL isn't it? Just think, by 2017 we can either have a new stadium, riverfront, and NFL and MLS team. Or jack crap. If our state senate fucks this up, I may actually become politically active for the first time.
Saw an article in Salon or Slate online - something like that - suggesting that St. Louis and North County should be moved to Illinois, in part because rural Missouri is so conservative. Not sure that would help - Southern Illinois is just as conservative as Missouri - but I agree; don't like the thought of the future of St. Louis in the hands of folks in Jeff City.

Big Unit

UDFA
Saw an article in Salon or Slate online - something like that - suggesting that St. Louis and North County should be moved to Illinois, in part because rural Missouri is so conservative. Not sure that would help - Southern Illinois is just as conservative as Missouri - but I agree; don't like the thought of the future of St. Louis in the hands of folks in Jeff City.
And yes - I meant a more attractive NFL market. My son is in grad school at UC San Diego, in La Jolla. North border of campus is Torrey Pines; west border is the gliderport and Black's Beach. Not claiming St. Louis is better that San Diego in other respects.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
So are you posting you don't care who you dance with? I guess we are different there I am a Ram fan, but I want the Rams in that stadium. However, I did root for the Rams when they were in Los Angeles so for me it's all about the Horns, but IMO, it would be sad if the people of St. Louis had to root for another football team that is why Peacock continues to stipulate..."Our focus are the Rams."

Well if the girl I'm dancing with keeps looking over my shoulder flirting with another guy,decides to move 2,000 miles away because another guy will buy her more goodies ,lemme just say,I'll be available.

If a team wants my loyalty they need to return it. I've often said the reason the Cubs never win it all is solely because their fans don't demand a championship.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well if the girl I'm dancing with keeps looking over my shoulder flirting with another guy,decides to move 2,000 miles away because another guy will buy her more goodies ,lemme just say,I'll be available.

Well, that's why we study history so we are not doomed to repeat it. If your girl left another guy to be with you because you offered bigger and better tangible assets, well, then not that I endorse this theory, but some would debate, turnabout is fair play.

In truth it depends what side of the fence you're on. I rooted for the Rams when they were in Los Angeles and watched them several times in 88 & 89 in the Golden State and loved all the Rams fans there. When they moved to St. Louis I did not judge the city I still rooted for the team like many Southern Californians did even though they felt jilted.

Many of them including yours truly have visited the Gateway City and have come away with a positive experience and hope that something gets worked out, but for me I only can love one team and one woman...Loyalty it is my greatest strength & weakness!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well, that's why we study history so we are not doomed to repeat it. If your girl left another guy to be with you because you offered bigger and better tangible assets, well, then not that I endorse this theory, but some would debate, turnabout is fair play.

In truth it depends what side of the fence you're on. I rooted for the Rams when they were in Los Angeles and watched them several times in 88 & 89 in the Golden State and loved all the Rams fans there. When they moved to St. Louis I did not judge the city I still rooted for the team like many Southern Californians did even though they felt jilted.

Many of them including yours truly have visited the Gateway City and have come away with a positive experience and hope that something gets worked out, but for me I only can love one team and one woman...Loyalty it is my greatest strength & weakness!

Except of course trhe Rams are that girl and if they move will rank right up there with Georgia as far as lovers go. If they move as I said I will be loyal to loyalty . I stayed a Cardinal fan until the Rams moved here , loyalty is not an all or none thing it fits upon a continuum, I'm more loyal to my geographic area ,they have supported my business for all my life the Rams less than a third

dis ain't me, ya think if they move and win the SB St. Louis will throw them a ticker tape parade?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm more loyal to my geographic area ,they have supported my business for all my life the Rams less than a third
And I get it and I have no issue with people in that area feeling that way as I had no issue when the people of Southern California had a bad taste in their mouths and began rooting for the Raiders or Chargers, but in the end for fans like me, it's about the Horns and I would not matter if they played in a place called Kokomo!

Last edited:

RAMbler

UDFA
And I get it and I have no issue with people in that area feeling that way as I had no issue when the people of Southern California had a bad taste in their mouths and began rooting for the Raiders or Chargers, but in the end for fans like me, it's about the Horns and I would not matter if they played in a place called Kokomo!

Absolutely!! Its the rams & horns baby..... Forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.