New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The proximity to LAX thing is interesting.

Personally, I doubt it is a real issue - Stan and his team surely would have thought of this, studied it, analyzed it, etc.

But does it need to be an actual issue or does it just need to appear to be an issue to be a problem for the Inglewood site?

rick6fan

UDFA
Ok, so i found that you can load historical data...I loaded 12/7/15 10:00 am and let it run for 30 minutes(sped up to 30 minutes in 60 seconds) There were 12 flights that flew over the junction of Prairie and Century...that's where it's located, right. That is a lot of flights. Then I loaded 12/7/15 1:00 pm and there were 15 landing and one crossing from north to south. That equates to a plane every 2 - 3 minutes on a football Sunday during football times flying directly overhead. If that is where the stadium site is located...

bluecoconuts

Legend
OK... you're stretching things.

Did you actually read that article? If you had, you would have seen this extremely important tidbit:
Airplanes have to take off and land into the wind

That's not a conditional statement... that's a fact.

That "That is why runways at LAX and most other Southern California airports run east to west".

Because those are the PREVAILING winds. Prevalent... most of the times.

However, as soon as the winds change (and I'm sure they do from time to time there), the planes MUST be redirected to take off into the wind.

The real point here is... Inglewood appears to be east of the airport (close priximity) and the prevailing winds are out of the west.

So, most times, planes would be landing right over that stadium. Yes, it will be loud.

Regarding danger... ask any pilot, the most dangerous points in a flight are take-off and landing.

Landing over a stadium filled with 60,000+ people is a risk.

I already said that the wind is the prevailing factor, and that they take off into the wind. LAX traditionally takes off towards the west and lands from the east, I've been saying that since the start.

When they flip the airport they take off to the east and land from the west. As the article stated, they don't do it often. Takeoffs are traditionally louder than landings (also as the article states), however when they flip they haven't seen an increase in noise complaints (however they assume it's because people who live there understand it happens).

The stadium is planned to be sunk 100 feet into the ground so they have more than enough room for clearance according to FAA regulations.

As for danger, that's as ridiculous as the terrorist argument.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ok, so i found that you can load historical data...I loaded 12/7/15 10:00 am and let it run for 30 minutes(sped up to 30 minutes in 60 seconds) There were 12 flights that flew over the junction of Prairie and Century...that's where it's located, right. That is a lot of flights. Then I loaded 12/7/15 1:00 pm and there were 15 landing and one crossing from north to south. That equates to a plane every 2 - 3 minutes on a football Sunday during football times flying directly overhead. If that is where the stadium site is located...

That's the opposite end of the park, the stadium is proposed to be more up Prairie and Pincay, really between Pincay and Arbor, and intersecting with Kareem if it were to continue going south.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's not less than human traits, but it is an ability to distance one's self from what's going on, so to speak. It's how people can donate millions to a hospital, yet not blink an eye firing a division of people for an under performing 3rd quarter. I don't think you can get to Stan's level by caring when you step on toes.
This isn't intended as a criticism, it's not right or wrong, just something that is. One could even make an argument that without that kind of ability there'd be little progress. I'd bet money Stan didn't even listen to the interview.
Yeah - I wouldn't really argue that but I also think down in there is a human that has a warm spot for his home state. And I got the feeling that all the crap about people wanting Khan to buy the team and the disrespect I sensed from many in Missouri saddened him a bit. Unfortunately, with many people, sadness eventually gives way to anger and I just hope he is not going to do something out of spite.

rick6fan

UDFA
That's the opposite end of the park, the stadium is proposed to be more up Prairie and Pincay, really between Pincay and Arbor, and intersecting with Kareem if it were to continue going south.
Ok, thanks. I found a map online that puts it between Pincay and Hardy along Prairie. That space, by google maps is 2800 ft long. It appears to be in the direct center of the 2 flight paths, which are approximately 6500 feet apart. Maybe we should be counting both flight paths...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ok, thanks. I found a map online that puts it between Pincay and Hardy along Prairie. That space, by google maps is 2800 ft long. It appears to be in the direct center of the 2 flight paths, which are approximately 6500 feet apart. Maybe we should be counting both flight paths...

For reference, the arrow is roughly the northern most part of the stadium (it's at an angle).

fjkxtt.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's these things called "pushes". Basically, there are times in the day when landings/take-offs are much more frequent.

Not sure if the times you selected were "pushes" or not, but it could be more frequent than what you observed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK - this airport noise talk is pretty ridiculous honestly. I grew up in LA and have flown in and out of LA many times. I have also gone to airport park in Portland on several occasions during lunch breaks and with my wife to watch planes take off and land. It is kind of a fun way to sit back and drink a glass of wine or eat lunch.

From LAX - I can't remember a single time where I took off from west to east. It is always over the ocean. I also can't recall ever landing from the west. My guess is that the aviation guy misspoke a bit in saying that planes have to take off and land into the wind. I really think he was talking about when there is substantial wind - which BTW is pretty rare where LAX is situated. Maybe during the Santa Anas.

Also, anyone who has ever flown knows the difference in noise level between take-off and landing. The plane is virtually in glide mode until it has to slow down AFTER landing. Almost all the planes flying over Inglewood would be landing.

I bring up the Portland airport park because aside from when the fighter jets are using their runways, you have about two seconds when you can't carry on a conversation. And that is AT the airport.

The terrorism thing might be real but I would guess that it would not be any more of a threat with Inglewood than with any other area of LA. In fact, I would say that it would be LESS likely. What happens well before the plane lands? Everyone is told to sit down and belt up. Anyone refusing to do that would be taken down well before the final approach. This is not 2001.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
AEG is also coming out with a report from Joe the Plummer that if the restrooms at the projected Inglewood stadium sight are used simultaneously, it will result in a temporary drought for the city of Los Angeles.

Joe the Plummer at the Inglewood stadium sight.
butt.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
AEG is also coming out with a report from Joe the Plummer that if the restrooms at the projected Inglewood stadium sight are used simultaneously, it will result in a temporary drought in the city of Los Angeles.

Joe the Plummer at the Inglewood stadium sight.
butt.jpg
Finally, I think AEG is onto something. But the good news is that the AEG reports are being printed on fast degrading toilet paper as they should be.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Finally, I think AEG is onto something. But the good news is that the AEG reports are being printed on fast degrading toilet paper as they should be.

And their messages self destruct in 30 seconds!
Self-destruct%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I already said that the wind is the prevailing factor, and that they take off into the wind. LAX traditionally takes off towards the west and lands from the east, I've been saying that since the start.
Well, that's not exactly what you said.. you said they "dislike" doing it. My point is... they have no choice. When the winds shift, they must do it.

When they flip the airport they take off to the east and land from the west. As the article stated, they don't do it often. Takeoffs are traditionally louder than landings (also as the article states), however when they flip they haven't seen an increase in noise complaints (however they assume it's because people who live there understand it happens).
I agree it's less loud... but it's still pretty loud. Pilots are constantly throttling up on landings. See the description in the link below regarding how challenging it is to land an aircarft at LAX.

The stadium is planned to be sunk 100 feet into the ground so they have more than enough room for clearance according to FAA regulations.
Well, I hope they clear it! The point I'm making is that it looks like it will be closer to a major airport than any other stadium... at least NFL stadium.

As for danger, that's as ridiculous as the terrorist argument.
Well, that's your opinion.

But I did see this from a pilot:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/414500/
One other thing I found... 3rd most dangrous airport in the US:
http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/tls-most-dangerous-us-airports/4

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm not sure I know exactly what questions you guys have concerning the airport, flight paths, winds, etc...

I have an expert in my family who can answer them. If any of you want to list the questions you'd like an expert opinion on... list em for me and I'll find out the answers for you this evening.

iced

video or 2 in link

http://fox2now.com/2015/03/03/new-developments-in-riverfront-stadium-proposal/

ST. LOUIS (KTVI) – New signs of growing momentum toward building a new riverfront football stadium and keeping the Rams in St. Louis emerged, Tuesday.

A team source told FOX 2 that even with all the news about the Rams possibly moving to Los Angeles, ticket sales and season ticket renewals for 2015 were ahead of 2014.

There was more news “hidden” in a new set of stadium renderings just released by the stadium task force, led by former Anheuser-Busch executive, Dave Peacock.

The changes from the 1st drawings to the latest are hard to notice at first glance but there’s at least 1 building left standing that wasn’t previously there: Shady Jack’srestaurant and bar on Broadway.

“I announced everything this morning [to the staff] that ‘we’re here. We’re here to stay’,” said owner, Jack Larrison.

Shady Jack’s, an internationally famous biker bar was to become a parking lot.

“Even at some of the meetings I said, ‘I’m not an obstructionist, I just want to go forward’. The evolution of progress is going forward. I just want to be part of it. It looks like we’re going to be,” Larrison said.

The number of seats in the new renderings is down to 62,000 from 64,000.

The real “story” may have to do with the prominent new yellow seats, seen in a field view.

They represent “club seats” extending down to the field. There are also more open areas around the concessions stands with views of the field.

Those changes came from the Rams, task force members said. Rams C.O.O., Kevin Demoff, had become more and more involved in the St. Louis stadium process, they said.

There’s another feature from the renderings.

Beyond the stadium there’s an extension of park space and the Riverfront Trail, north from the Arch, over the water and around the close to $1 billion dollar stadium.

The idea has the endorsement of the Great Rivers Greenway organization, which has been working for years to connect people to the Mississippi, Missouri, and Meramec Rivers.

A stadium has never been part of the vision until now.

Great Rivers Greenway Executive Director, Susan Trautman, said she spoke with Peacock about the project for the 1st time Tuesday. He asked that her organization be involved in the process moving forward.

“If the stadium happens that’s terrific. If it doesn’t, we’ve got the conversation going,” Trautman said. “We want a place that you want to be; that you want to pack up a picnic with your kids and come down to the river and see what’s happening – music, theater, art, and all the things that draw people together and bring us together as a community…football would work,” she laughed.

Sources admitted the stadium was still not close to becoming reality.

But the project is about more than football now. The Rams are involved. Momentum continues to grow.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

LA has some major problems if they can't get water because of the toilets at a football stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.