New Job Today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Today I go back to work after being away for quite a while due to health issues.

Problem is, I got talked into taking my old job back. I legit hate these mf. Like, I'm bitter as fuck about how it ended here. But they got ahold of me and offered me more than I was making before and two more weeks vacation. I simply couldn't say no.

I'm not sure how long I'll last. My anxiety is thru the fucking roof. Wish me luck, y'all.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Couple hours in and I haven't flipped a desk yet....good news on that front.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hey brother, I feel you. You need to vent? No prob, we got you.
We’ve all had that job where we wanted to go full “Hulk on Loki”.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good. That might scare little Winston!
That dogs a fuckin thug, he would try to flip his own. Lol he's mean as hell. Lol

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well...I made it.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It was very surreal. I've had dreams these last two years of being there. I truly truly hate this place. The way it ended...I can't even explain the scar that made.

I kept half ass expecting to wake up. I got phone calls all day from old friends in the company. I had a bunch of customers come see me when word got out.

Was an overall good day.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It was very surreal. I've had dreams these last two years of being there. I truly truly hate this place. The way it ended...I can't even explain the scar that made.
I've had the same experience with jobs that I hated. Even in the dream I felt bad for being back there, its a nightmare really. Hopefully your 2nd stint there goes much better. Who knows, it could be cathartic.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

I kept half ass expecting to wake up. I got phone calls all day from old friends in the company. I had a bunch of customers come see me when word got out.

Was an overall good day.
I guess I'm not up to speed here. Where do you work and what is it you do?
How long did you work there before being enticed to return?

Lotsa questions I know but I can nosy as all get out at times!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Call me if you want, Congrats on the job and being healthy enough to have a choice. Try a new approach, challenge yourself, most importantly allow yourself to leave if it gets unhealthy.
I started a new gig a few weeks ago, even though I do it a few times a year I always have anxiety. Every job has obstacles, you got this Tim. Miss ya brother work is friggin crazy here

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I guess I'm not up to speed here. Where do you work and what is it you do?
How long did you work there before being enticed to return?

Lotsa questions I know but I can nosy as all get out at times!!

~ArkyRamsFan~
I manage a Rental Retail store. Similar to Rent a Center. I worked there for 10 years. I left after I got cancer and was struggling physically. They were rat bastards to me for leaving. I swore I would never go back. But they offered me 12% more than I was making before with a guaranteed bonus and gave me all my vacation back.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Oh, and this is my 4th time back. Lol they've always talked me into coming back. This time i was gonna almost 2.5 years. Thought I was free. But, it's hard to turn down the money.

It was odd as hell being in there again. I had to do all these onboarding videos all day yesterday. The sane videos I've seen a thousand times. Lol

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@Juggs I'm glad you're able to get back to work and that you got a pay raise. I'm sorry that you hate your job. Hopefully you're able to deal with it until you can find something else or retire (not sure how close that is for you).

I was going to start a thread here soon too because I also got a new job. The full story will take a bit to explain but the short version is I'm leaving a company no one has ever heard of to go work at IBM. Big pay raise and no after hours work.

Long version. The old company has been around since 2004 (ish, it depends on who you ask as to when it started) but literally never had a profitable year until 2020. In 2019 we brought in a new CEO and he made big changes, including promoting me to the NOC manager. Basically I ran a call center but we did a lot more technical and security stuff than your average help desk. We were chronically understaffed and I told him that all the time. I brought as much data as I could, but we literally didn't have some of the data he asked for. It was impossible to get, or at least impossible to get within this decade. Everything was super manual in terms of pulling data and trying to get info from it and they refused to implement systems to make it faster/easier.

Far forward to this May. One of our customers started asking about SLAs. We don't really have any formal SLAs, but the CEO wanted to know what the performance was so we knew what we could offer. My boss and I delivered to the CEO the same data we'd been giving to him for a year and a half (improved, obviously because I'd fixed some issues and things got a little better) and he lost his mind. He was super pissed that we were performing that badly. He wanted to know why we hadn't hired more people. He has to approve every hire and he denied our repeated requests for more people.

Then he threatened to fire me for not being able to convince him that we'd need more people.

So I started looking for jobs. IBM called. I start Tuesday.

I'd been writing about 50 to 60 his power week. On call 24/7. Denied every request if made for improvements until something failed and the improvement became my boss' or my CEO's idea.

It's not going to be perfect. But I'll live with different and less hectic for now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Best of luck buddy, hopefully you can find something better (I always recommend keeping options open) so you don't destroy your mental health while working there.

I've left a number of jobs, high paying jobs at that, because they were killer on my mental health, so I know how that frustration can be. When they're taking that much of your time, it's often not worth it. Challenging when there's not as many options available though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It puts you in a better position if you have a job while looking. Good luck in going back but keep your head up for better opportunities. Cheers man.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@Juggs I'm glad you're able to get back to work and that you got a pay raise. I'm sorry that you hate your job. Hopefully you're able to deal with it until you can find something else or retire (not sure how close that is for you).

I was going to start a thread here soon too because I also got a new job. The full story will take a bit to explain but the short version is I'm leaving a company no one has ever heard of to go work at IBM. Big pay raise and no after hours work.

Long version. The old company has been around since 2004 (ish, it depends on who you ask as to when it started) but literally never had a profitable year until 2020. In 2019 we brought in a new CEO and he made big changes, including promoting me to the NOC manager. Basically I ran a call center but we did a lot more technical and security stuff than your average help desk. We were chronically understaffed and I told him that all the time. I brought as much data as I could, but we literally didn't have some of the data he asked for. It was impossible to get, or at least impossible to get within this decade. Everything was super manual in terms of pulling data and trying to get info from it and they refused to implement systems to make it faster/easier.

Far forward to this May. One of our customers started asking about SLAs. We don't really have any formal SLAs, but the CEO wanted to know what the performance was so we knew what we could offer. My boss and I delivered to the CEO the same data we'd been giving to him for a year and a half (improved, obviously because I'd fixed some issues and things got a little better) and he lost his mind. He was super pissed that we were performing that badly. He wanted to know why we hadn't hired more people. He has to approve every hire and he denied our repeated requests for more people.

Then he threatened to fire me for not being able to convince him that we'd need more people.

So I started looking for jobs. IBM called. I start Tuesday.

I'd been writing about 50 to 60 his power week. On call 24/7. Denied every request if made for improvements until something failed and the improvement became my boss' or my CEO's idea.

It's not going to be perfect. But I'll live with different and less hectic for now.
Great story and most likely typical of that sector.
I am super happy for you, now that you know your value if this next one stinks don't endure the stupidity as long.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Great story and most likely typical of that sector.
I am super happy for you, now that you know your value if this next one stinks don't endure the stupidity as long.
The job was great experience and it was always a play for the stock options/buyout. I got rapid promotions and raises. I was only there 4 years. Somebody telling me they think they should fire me because they refused to listen to my suggestions was too much to take. If it wasn't for that I'd still be there. Genuinely great people, except the CEO.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
It happened to my dad. The first time around he was put down, dismissed, shunned. So he took an early retirement option. Once he wasn't there, they found out exactly what he did to make their jobs simpler. A year later they asked him to come back and consult. The whole attitude of the place had changed and they were all happy he was back to take on a problem, they didn't know they had. He worked with them for another 5 years till they left Tulsa for Houston. If he would have been willing to move it might have been for several more. He fixed a problem they had no idea they had.