New Contract for Gurley in 18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is Aaron Donald all over again. Rams will pick up the 2019 option before the 2018 draft.
There won’t be a 2018 renegotiation

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh?
2018 is the 4th year of his rookie deal, they will certainly pick up the 5th year option for 2019. Wont have to worry about franchise tag until 2020

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
The only thing I wonder is at what point does the 5th year option kick in. Is it with all first rounders or the top five? I honestly don’t know and too lazy to search.

Edit: Oh wait. The Rams have it with Donald so never mind. What a steal that ended up being.

It's all 1st rounders but the top 10 is an average of the top 5 salaries at their position and picks 11-32 are average of top 10(i think) at their positions which usually significantly lowers he cap hit

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have to pick up the 5th year option in 2018, not 2019. The Rams already picked up Donald's option

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I believe viewership in the NFL was down this season, possibly because of the kneeling issue started by Colin Crapernick. I wonder how that will affect next year's cap if NFL revenue is down?

The nfl would want you to believe that they are hurting for money but the fact is that tv ratings aren’t what they used to be because of online streaming and the ad revenue that, that brings so while viewership might be down the “kneeling issue” has less to do with that then just the different avenues people are watching the game.

The cap has already been pretty much set for next year as well and it went up again.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think they'll do the 5th year option on Gurley, and Get Donald signed right-away!! Plenty of time, but who knows how the M-O-N-E-Y will work out!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
5th year option....don't like it...but if they did AD....why not second best player on the team? And I thought Todd was our best player for a few years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only way to rescind the 5th year is by essentially releasing the player. The Rams wont be releasing Donald or Gurley.
You are over thinking things.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You crazy
Gurley is a top 3 back in the league, that wont change in 1 season

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now you’re being silly.
They’ll pick up his option and unless they extend him, they will pay him. It’s extremely rare that a team backs out of the 5th year. Only reason why Washington did was because RGIII was a head case and Cousins was playing great.
Exception not the rule

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its not provisionally. That is what's silly. You are making it out that its common for teams to "withdraw" the 5th year and its not. Its a guaranteed contract at the beginning of that league year if they are on the roster.
Comparing Gurley in year 3 to RGIII is silly, because RGIII was already injured and the team falling apart. Taylor? he wasnt on a rookie contract, Buffalo signed him to a FA deal after Baltimore didnt re-sign him

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it’s not provisional!
Once they sign the player (after year 3) the only way out is by releasing the player.
It’s a non guaranteed contract other than injury.

You are really stretching here by trying to include Gurley with Bortles and Ebron. Laughable actually